ImageImageImageImage

What's with Oladipo?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Re: What's with Oladipo? 

Post#41 » by Jameerthefear » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 pm

tiderulz wrote:
GANGSTERDOG wrote:Dipo will never be a Superstar but he can def be a Westbrook, Iggy, joe Johnson, Isiah Thomas type. Allstars

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

out of all those you just listed, I think only Iggy is an apt comparison. The others are all better offensively, and Westbrook is arguably a superstar.

Westbrook sophomore season:
16 ppg on 41% shooting

JJ sophomore season:
10 ppg on 40% shooting

Isaiah Thomas sophomore season:
14 ppg on 44% shooting

Victor Oladipo after only 7 games and no preseason, training camp, etc.
14ppg on 41% shooting :roll:
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#42 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
magicfan217 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Oladipo is having a terrible start to the season and is still playing better than mclemore.

it was obviously a joke guys.

No, this guy is serious. Look at his signature.

sigh...it was a joke because just about everyone here but a few know that I'm joking with my McLemore talk after he sputtered out of the gate and Oladipo looked poised to be a better pro.
ValHoffa
Junior
And1: 343

Post#43 » by ValHoffa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 am

dipo will bounce back…he always does!
C) JONAS VALANCIUNAS/steven adams/mitch mcgrary
F) KYLE OQUINN tyler hansbrough/anthony bennett
F) DEMAR DEROZAN/rodney hood/pj tucker
G) VICTOR OLADIPO/josh richardson/norman powell
G) KYLE LOWRY/jordan clarkson/jamal murray/elfrid payton
FloridaHoosier
Starter
And1: 1,083

Post#44 » by FloridaHoosier » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
JF5 wrote:
magicfan217 wrote:at this point, not playing Payton at PG with Oladipo at the 2 is just maddening.

It is but I think that was the plan since the start of the season. Slowly integrate Payton and then he'd eventually start. The problem is Oladipo just came off multiple injuries and no preseason/training camp. I'm guessing Vaughn is continuing the plan, but is playing Oladipo all these minutes to shake off the rust is quickly as possible AND the original plan with Payton is not thrown away.

I dont think thats the case. Vaughn made oladipo the pg early last season, no reason why he would slowly ease payton into it now. He legitimately thinks oladipo is a better option there right now.

We were tanking last year so playing Oladipo at PG didn't matter. He could get experience that will be helpful in the future. Hopefully the rotation will settle down soon.
I would feel better about most of this thread if it was written in green font!
"Don't let the pressure exceed the pleasure." "Try not to suck."
"I don't vibrate at that frequency." ~ Joe Maddon
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,629

Post#45 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
out of all those you just listed, I think only Iggy is an apt comparison. The others are all better offensively, and Westbrook is arguably a superstar.

and Isaiah Thomas is a superstar & Hall Of Famer... kinda contradicting yourself there

i was assuming he was referring to current players, thus the 5'9 Thomas playing for the Suns, who most definitely is not a superstar and HOF

OH *facepalm*
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#46 » by cedric76 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:49 pm

DIPO is a guard, once EP has a legit 3pt shot, they 'll be a deadly combo, in the meantime he s better suited playing with Evan
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
ValHoffa
Junior
And1: 343

Post#47 » by ValHoffa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:13 pm

with the way coaches are playing small ball lineups and 2 point guard line ups, developing Dipos ball handling skills and ability to guard quicker guards will be essential. Especially with the point guard position starting to get larger, longer and stronger with the MCW, Exum, Vasquez, Smart & Wrotens in the league
C) JONAS VALANCIUNAS/steven adams/mitch mcgrary
F) KYLE OQUINN tyler hansbrough/anthony bennett
F) DEMAR DEROZAN/rodney hood/pj tucker
G) VICTOR OLADIPO/josh richardson/norman powell
G) KYLE LOWRY/jordan clarkson/jamal murray/elfrid payton
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#48 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Hasn't got his mojo back quite yet, I mean players and coaches were raving about him when he was at team USA so being out that long may have set him back a bit.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,215

Post#49 » by eyriq » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 am

His body language looked much better tonight and his shot selection didn't make me want to puke.
Scottg247
Pro Prospect
And1: 147

Post#50 » by Scottg247 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:04 pm

damo[23] wrote:He's playing pretty well all things considered. Theres a small chance he came back a little early as well, so paired with that face mask being uncomfortable (well it cant be comfortable having something strapped to your face when you are sweating buckets) - hes not that bad off.

But also, hes a SG. There's obviously some discussion behind the scenes and more to it than we see, but once that move of Efrid and Payton goes through, with Evan off the bench as a dynamite 6th man, it will look a lot more natural (and I think better off for it).

I have been wondering when this is going to happen. Why not have Evan come in as the 6th man right away when Dipo came back. Will get everyone accustomed to the roles faster. Payton is our PG of the future. Let him work through the bad games. Dipo is a SG. Def not a PG.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#51 » by ralphie9898 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:28 pm

JF5 wrote:Are you serious?

No Training Camp, No Preseason... Came off an MCL Injury and a facial fracture. And he returned a week and a half ago... CLEARLY he's clearly not in game shape nor is he really at full strength...

And he is playing out of position. He should be playing SG where he doesn't have to be the primary ball handler and distributor. It adds to the things he has to do. We need o take the pressure off him and let him play off the ball. I know that sits Fournier but he will still get plenty of time in a 3 guard rotation with Payton. Fournier can also play some SF.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#52 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Do you guys think some of the accolades Dipo earned last year has gotten into his head? With Jameer and Afflalo gone, the belief was that a second year player in Dipo was going to be the leader. But what has he really done to be the leader of the team except show flashes of stardom in his rookie season? He still has a long ways to go and a lot more to prove.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#53 » by Neato » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:28 pm

GortatExpress wrote:Do you guys think some of the accolades Dipo earned last year has gotten into his head? With Jameer and Afflalo gone, the belief was that a second year player in Dipo was going to be the leader. But what has he really done to be the leader of the team except show flashes of stardom in his rookie season? He still has a long ways to go and a lot more to prove.

i don't know about that either way, but if it did, i don't think it matters ultimately since victor is so responsive to feedback and adjusts his game based on feedback. the last game might be an immediate example of that. For a longer term example, he demonstrated an ability to adjust all of last season while he was learning a new position. I really do believe he's all about leaning and doing what makes sense.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#54 » by drsd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm

GortatExpress wrote:Do you guys think some of the accolades Dipo earned last year has gotten into his head?

Oladipo is a gym rat that has a "need" to improve. The answer to your question is no.

Return to Orlando Magic