ImageImageImageImage

Keys to the game Magic- Warriors

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Keys to the game Magic- Warriors 

Post#1 » by MagicHolland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 am

This is not the game thread, but I thought it be fun to make a top 3 "keys to the game". My top 3 for tonights game in particular order:

1. Start 6'4 Payton on Curry and make sure Curry can't get his 3 point shot of in transition. Payton is a strong on the ball defender and his lenght should bother Curry enough to make it at least hard on him. This also puts Oladipo on Thompson.

2. Establish Vuc down low on the block early, make him the primary option on offense. That will open things up for dribble penatration and with David Lee out I want Vuc crashing the offensive board. So it's on Vuc to play a tough game around the basket. Frye should benefit on offense and I expect Tobias (if available)/Harkless to play meaningful minutes at PF.

3. Offense of the bench. It's time for Fournier (if available to play) to become our offensive spark of the bench. He has been very good at creating his own shot and so far he has shown me that he could definately be the kind of spark like Ginobili for the Spurs. If he's not able to play, look for AN for some offensive production.

So in a nutshell

1. No transition threes by Curry
2. Vuc needs to beast down low
3. Offense of the bench

I was considering pushing the tempo as one of the keys but even though GS played Miami last night I doubt we as a team are much fitter then GS right now (injuries, schedule and inexperience).

All in all I'm expecting a loss but we should make it at least competitive.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Re: Keys to the game Magic- Warriors 

Post#2 » by drsd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 am

MagicHolland wrote:1. No transition threes by Curry
3. Offense of the bench

I agree that Orlando will lose a shoot-out and must focus on defese to stay in this game.

For point 3, this is generally true. the bench just needs to get better. Perhaps all the starters minutes going to bench guys will help them up their respective games.

fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#3 » by fklt » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:05 pm

MagicHolland wrote:3. Offense of the bench. It's time for Fournier (if available to play) to become our offensive spark of the bench. He has been very good at creating his own shot and so far he has shown me that he could definately be the kind of spark like Ginobili for the Spurs.

it's time people let this one go already. so many people this obssessed with seeing payton-oladipo backcourt right up from this season it's not even funny.
what offense of the bench, how about some offense in the starting lineup? who is creating offense consistently other than him? guy is averaging 35 minutes a game for a reason.
and there is this myth about him being a bad defender. I haven't seen one game that he was a defensive liability. he has size, quicks and fast hands. he held his own against decent talent and been assigned to guard the threat lots of time this season.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#4 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 pm

fklt wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:3. Offense of the bench. It's time for Fournier (if available to play) to become our offensive spark of the bench. He has been very good at creating his own shot and so far he has shown me that he could definately be the kind of spark like Ginobili for the Spurs.

it's time people let this one go already. so many people this obssessed with seeing payton-oladipo backcourt right up from this season it's not even funny.
what offense of the bench, how about some offense in the starting lineup? who is creating offense consistently other than him? guy is averaging 35 minutes a game for a reason.
and there is this myth about him being a bad defender. I haven't seen one game that he was a defensive liability. he has size, quicks and fast hands. he held his own against decent talent and been assigned to guard the threat lots of time this season.

Yea i agree vaughn will never start oladipo and payton. Its time we gave up on it.
vagnermagic
Senior
And1: 108

Post#5 » by vagnermagic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:48 pm

I think it's still early to give up on seeing Elfrid and Oladipo together. The season is far from over and there'll be a lot of changes.

About Fournier, I agree that he's been OK on defense. Overall he does a decent job. He lost his guy a couple times against the Cavs on consecutive posesions, but that game can't be taken as an example of anything besides the Magic sucking very badly.

Plus, the guy's 22 years old. I believe it's ok if he makes a few mistakes here and there.
Vamo, Magic!
Brazilian Magic fan
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#6 » by CourtsideTV » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:58 pm

keys to game: lose
Work Hard
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#7 » by Last Guardian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Oladipo is the one who should be coming off the bench....ATM, Payton is a better PG and Fournier is a better SG.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#8 » by tooler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:19 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:keys to game: lose

...without anyone else getting injured.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#9 » by OrlandO » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Curry is probably going to feast on both Payton and Oladipo... they are both allowing opponents to shoot 14% higher than usual on defended 3pt shots.
vagnermagic
Senior
And1: 108

Post#10 » by vagnermagic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

OrlandO wrote:Curry is probably going to feast on both Payton and Oladipo... they are both allowing opponents to shoot 14% higher than usual on defended 3pt shots.

Great. :nonono:

Curry made 8 3 pointers in Miami last night...
Vamo, Magic!
Brazilian Magic fan
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#11 » by MagicHolland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Well this thread went nowhere quick.. This thread was meant for people who wanted to make a a well educated guess on what 3 "keys to the game" could give us the best opportunity to win. I guess I wasn't clear enough in the original post.

Anyways, maybe we could still get this back on track?
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#12 » by MagicHolland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:1. No transition threes by Curry
3. Offense of the bench

I agree that Orlando will lose a shoot-out and must focus on defese to stay in this game.

For point 3, this is generally true. the bench just needs to get better. Perhaps all the starters minutes going to bench guys will help them up their respective games.

I agree that point 3 is generally true but I feel like lately our bench's production has been on the decline. For us to win tonight I hope they can up their input.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#13 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 pm

The key to the game is health.

The Magic potentially have 5 forwards out (Aaron, Kyle, Devyn, Tobias, Evan) right now. Only possible SF options are Willie and Maurice.

I like our chances if we have two of Kyle, Devyn, Tobias, Evan available tonight.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#14 » by MagicHolland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 pm

fklt wrote:

You took this way out of context, maybe it's the language barrier. The whole part about Fournier's defense, I don't think I even mentioned his defense, did I? It's not even that I rate Payton higher than Fournier, it's just that I feel that Oladipo should play off the ball more. Fournier could be our facilitator of the bench. I also mentioned Gionobili as an example, he's making about 30 min a game even though being a 6th man..
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#15 » by MagicHolland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:The key to the game is health.

The Magic potentially have 5 forwards out (Aaron, Kyle, Devyn, Tobias, Evan) right now. Only possible SF options are Willie and Maurice.

I like our chances if we have two of Kyle, Devyn, Tobias, Evan available tonight.

Thanks for the input, what's the latest news on Aaron? You are our private insider right :wink:
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#16 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Out until at least January.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#17 » by OrlDave » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 pm

fklt wrote:

We actually have a fairly offensive centric starting lineup when healthy. Vuc, Harris, Frye and Evan are all considered offensive guys. I don't see how a bit more balance being is a bad thing. Also, I don't see Payton as this offensive liability a lot of people do. In fact I think Payton's ability to pass and penetrate often makes it easier on the other offensive guys. Regardless of who starts, I think our guard rotation should be 30+ for Dipo, Evan and Payton. Evan can get some minutes at SF, so that will leave 8-12 mpg for Gordon/Ridnour/Green. And that is the right number for those guys. Those 10 year vets are so good when you bring them in for 5 minutes as a stop gap, but they shouldn't be getting near starters minutes.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#18 » by Orium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Vuc has to score 40
Frye has to take more than 1 half-hearted step when closing out on a 3pt shot
Payton has to play more than 8 minutes
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
the_hobo
Rookie
And1: 640

Post#19 » by the_hobo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:28 pm

The keys to the game shouldn't be "Vooch plays 48" or "mash our rookies together"; they should be battles between the teams that will go either way and decide the game. For instance:

1 Transition game. Both teams have a knack for running and fast break points should be a high. Whoever gets back on defense more often should have the advantage.

2 Rebounding. Magic need more boards to come from our bigs, not just Vooch.

3 Closing out on D. Curry and dipo/elf matchup will probably decide the game.
Favorite Magic players of all time:
1. Dennis Scott
2. Andrew Nicholson
3. Anthony "no-neck" Johnson
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#20 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:28 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:The key to the game is health.

How the hell does Marble improve our chances at beating a title contender? He's a second rounder that has barely played this season. Don't act like Marble can bring the same impact to the game as proven NBA players. I know people are interested in seeing what he can bring, but acting like he is a difference maker right now is absurd. :noway:

Return to Orlando Magic