Mass Dispatch 22.0.: Holiday Ideas, Moderator Conduct, App..

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Mass Dispatch 22.0.: Holiday Ideas, Moderator Conduct, App.. 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Mass Dispatch 22.0

In this week's edition of Mass Dispatch..............

The Mass Matter takes a break from the Forums to focus on some gift ideas for the Holidays and how you could help make a child happy this holiday season. I also have some notes on “Beat The Commish”

Ask Howard answers a question about Moderator Conduct.

We then have a User getting recognized for a great analysis they wrote up, a Forum debating on their team's direction, who one of our best Moderators is and if hermes was dethroned as King Of The GOTB? It's in our Weekly Awards.

“Inside The Administrator's Office” discusses the high percentage of General NBA Board Appeals that were approved the other week.

Let's get right to The Mass Matter..................

The Mass Matter: The Holidays and “Beat The Commish” Week 12

Instead of discussing the forums and giving everyone a Forum Matter to read up on, I want to discuss the Holidays and some gift ideas as everyone starts their holiday shopping.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukah (many different ways to spell this one) Kwanza and New Year's are all times for everyone to be with their families, take in the colder weather and hopefully for everyone to have a happy season.

I am not someone who is a Thanksgiving guy and prefer to do my own thing. Many of you are though and hope everyone had a great evening with your friends and/or family.

Today is Black Friday where many of go shopping for deals but for most of us, I would assume we all shop online and get good deals without the lines and the sometimes annoying people in them. After I went a couple of years ago, I'll never go back again. This lady in line was one spot ahead of me and every time the line moved, she would walk so damn slow while looking on her phone. I would walk just behind her and she would say “I'm here in line” and I'd say “I know that” and you just wanted to smack her (I'd never hit a woman) as she was walking like a snail because she was looking on her phone. Enough of my rant but never again.

This year, I shopped online at Best Buy and got a bunch of Blu-Ray Discs cheap and it pretty concluded the shopping for myself although I did pick up a Blu-Ray Movie for my two nieces and “The Notebook” for my sister.

Other than going online to get cheap Blu-Ray Discs for myself, I do not do any other shopping except for my Nieces Bella and Penelope.

If you have a 2 year old or a newborn and are stumped, here is what I got them so it could help you get some ideas as it is difficult to shop for others at times especially kids.

For Penelope who will be two months around Hanukah and Christmas.........

Earlyears Baby Farm Friends Bowling

http://www.amazon.com/Earlyears-Baby-Fa ... owling+set

and

LeapFrog Read with Me Violet Toy

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Read-Me- ... frog+puppy

Believe me, it is very difficult to shop for a newborn (It was tough when Bella was first born with very few options) but these are great gifts if you are.

They are soft toys and can see Penelope's little face lighting up when her Mom and Dad give them to her.

For Bella who will be just over two months, I decided she should have a little fun as I got her an educational toy for her birthday. She also has been a great big sister to Penelope. Bella always kisses her and puts her arm around her. It is so touching.

Here is what I got Bella.

Disney Sofia The First Princess in Training Playland with 20 Balls

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Sofia-Prin ... a+ball+pit

Little Tikes Shopping Cart - Pink

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Shop ... ping+carts

I know she will love the ball pit but I might have to get extra balls for it. I just hope she doesn't joke around like she always does and hit her Mom, Dad or Uncle Paul with the balls. The shopping Cart she will push around and push all of her things in.

I'll definitely have to Skype with my sister when she gives Bella and Penelope their gifts.

All of the above are great gifts and are pretty affordable. I did spend a little extra in getting two gifts each as I never plan to have kids and love those two girls so much. I want their Holiday Season to be very special.

If you do not have anyone to buy something for but want to make a child's holiday, ToysForTots donations are tax deductible and you make a needy child's Hanukah or Christmas. Trust me, it is a great feeling to have.

And even if money is really tight as it is for many in my generation, just giving the kids a wonderful holiday experience by just being together is still pretty great.

I want everyone to enjoy this extended weekend and do everything you can to help the kids have a great holiday with many great memories. They only get one childhood..........

“Beat The Commish” Week 12

I have been swamped this past week doing 9 AM to 7 PM shifts behind the scenes so my time has been tight. Rest assured, I will have everything tabulated by the end of the weekend.

For now, please make your Week 13 Picks

viewforum.php?f=437

Ask Howard

Have a question about RealGM? The Forums? An Issue you would like me to address publicly or something in general? Just post it in the Ask Howard Thread of The Mass Dispatch Forum or you could send me a PM and I just might answer it in my next column.

Hero Asks: Are mods granted more leeway when it comes to obeying the rules of a forum? For example, I have noticed many posters complaining about certain mods when it comes to obeying the rules and I wonder how that is handled. Are there incidents of mods being suspended or banned for bad behavior?

Howard's Response: Moderators are actually held to a higher standard than Users.

To be fair, our General Off-Topic Board allows some leeway but the general answer is “NO”.

If a User ever feels a Moderator is attacking inappropriately, they may contact me.

The last time I let a Moderator go for misconduct was back in 2006 and maybe in a future “Inside The Administrator's Office”, I'll fill everyone in on what went down.

Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week

It is time for our Weekly Awards. If you would like to nominate a User, Thread or Moderator for an Award, just make a post on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM.

Mass Dispatch User of The Week

LamarMatic7

LamarMatic7 is a Regular User who primarily posts on our Charlotte Hornets Forum and also runs his own blog. I would like to thank Charlotte Hornets and Carolina Panthers Moderator JDR720 for pointing this out to me.

This past week, he wrote up a great piece on why his Charlotte Hornets blew a 23 point lead to the visiting Orlando Magic and shared it on our Charlotte Hornets Forum.

http://lamarmatic.wordpress.com/2014/11 ... ando-loss/

Trust me, it is a wonderful read and I might be a little bias here but I love reading about my Orlando Magic getting a victory.

I doubt I am bias though because Yahoo Sports also recognized him for this outstanding piece.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 56875.html

Congratulations to our Mass Dispatch User of The Week LamarMatic7

Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

The Knicks Concerned Carmelo Anthony's Back Issue Could Be Season..... Thread on our New York Knicks Forum

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1357321

Sometimes during a season, fans will debate whether or not it is best to try and tank rather than trying to make the playoffs for what is usually a sure first round exit.

Apparently, The Knicks are concerned that Carmelo Anthony's back is going to be an issue this season. If Melo has to miss a big stretch of games or a few every now and again in between, it likely will not bold well for The Knicks and likely any chance they have at making the playoffs.

It is an interesting discussion and love reading those debates between fans each season when they happen.

Congratulations to our New York Knicks Forum!

Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week

LittleOzzy

I will let everyone in on a little something, LittleOzzy is one of the best Moderators on RealGM.

He got his start moderating on our Toronto Raptors Forum, Toronto Blue Jays Forum and several NHL Forums before becoming a Global Moderator.

While he is a great enforcer, these days he mainly posts on our RealGM Soccer Forum and is really making it a mission to get MLS going on our Forums.

Behind the scenes, I'll tell you that we do disagree on some things but it's all really a result of OZ's passion for our non-NBA Forums and do appreciate his dedication.

Congratulations to our Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week Global Moderator LittleOzzy!

General Off-Topic Board User Of The Month

It is that time of the month again.

For the past two months, hermes has been The General Off-Topic Board User of The Month and The Title of “King of The GOTB”. As everyone knows, it is a coveted title on our General Off-Topic Board and one many of the GOTB User's want it along with the privileges that come with it.

This month the competition was even more intense with three other Users in serious contention for the award with their wonderful contributions and good conduct on other RealGM Forums.

It was a tough call but in the end and yet again no one was able to take down the current King.

Congratulations for the third month in a row to our General Off-Topic Board User of The Month and still King of The General Off-Topic Board hermes!

Inside The Administrator's Office

I always hear complaining and moaning from Users about how The General NBA Board Moderator Appeals Committee will never approve their appeal.

Well, The Committee approved 2 of the 3 Appeals that were sent in the other week.

That's a rate of 66 percent.

The two appeals that were sent in followed Mass Dispatch 3.0. and both applicants were able to convince The Committee that they would not re-offend.

Unfortunately, that 3rd one was turned down after some Moderators from another forum weighed in and made it clear the User had been toeing the line making the Committee feel The User would be a risk to re-offend on The General NBA Board.

In the past, Moderators from team forums have weighed in on some User Appeals and while positive and negative feedback can sway cases, it will likely hurt you if you ask a Moderator on a team to weigh in on your behalf.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Mass Dispatch 22.0.: Holiday Ideas, Moderator Conduct, A 

Post#2 » by truth18 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:46 pm

LittleOzzy works hard. Great mod. Well deserved
YOU LOSE
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,835

Post#3 » by Sofia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Hermes may have won this round, but Howie bought my DVDs for his nieces.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#4 » by LamarMatic7 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Already thanked JDR and Howard privately, but I would also like to thank all of the RealGM members who found my work interesting and have spread the word around as I've seen links to my blog being posted on other parts of RealGM as well, even without my involvement.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:04 am

LamarMatic7 wrote:Already thanked JDR and Howard privately, but I would also like to thank all of the RealGM members who found my work interesting and have spread the word around as I've seen links to my blog being posted on other parts of RealGM as well, even without my involvement.

Well deserved man. You're easily one of the best posters on RealGM. Your articles are fantastic too. I have a feeling your Biz/Max article played a part in Steve Clifford finally playing Biz.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#6 » by Slim_Charles » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Lil Ozzy is da true MVP
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:15 am

Howard Mass wrote:It is that time of the month again.

Tell me about it! Almost out of tampons.

And I thought you were just supposed to get toddlers boxes since they're more interested in the box than what's actually in it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by magic22s » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:32 am

Congratulations LamarMatic7, LittleOzzy and hermes!
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#9 » by Throwback24 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 1:10 am

You should pay lilozzy his homage on the Raptors forum. Create a thread just for him, we'll be waiting.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Ingress
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#10 » by Ingress » Sat Dec 6, 2014 4:18 pm

I have a question regarding the moderator issue. If a moderator is reported, what exactly happens? There was a recent scenario in which a moderator was reported and the report was immediately closed by the same moderator with no follow up. In this case wouldn't an independent arbitrator/moderator be a more prudent course of action? It seems there is a conflict of interest in the way that it is currently handled and some checks and balances might be in order.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,161

Post#11 » by tsherkin » Sat Dec 6, 2014 10:35 pm

Ingress wrote:I have a question regarding the moderator issue. If a moderator is reported, what exactly happens? There was a recent scenario in which a moderator was reported and the report was immediately closed by the same moderator with no follow up. In this case wouldn't an independent arbitrator/moderator be a more prudent course of action? It seems there is a conflict of interest in the way that it is currently handled and some checks and balances might be in order.

If you have a problem with a board mod which you don't feel was adequately resolved, you are encouraged to first contact a global mod. If that still magically doesn't do it, then Howard can be contacted directly. There are very much oversight procedures in place. Howard is also the final arbiter on suspensions and bans, helping to avoid unnecessary/inappropriate/conflict of interest type situations.

Return to Mass Dispatch