ImageImageImageImage

Harris Being Out Benifits Vic & Vuc

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

gazken
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#1 » by gazken » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I might be wrong here but do Vuc and Dipo benifit from Harris being out the team ?

They are obviously our main two offensive guys but when Harris is in the team they dont get the ball as much and less plays run for them.

I might be waaaaay off here and its just good timing that they are both on fire at the moment when we need them the most.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,229

Re: Harris Being Out Benifits Vic & Vuc 

Post#2 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

gazken wrote:Hi everyone,

I might be wrong here but do Vuc and Dipo benifit from Harris being out the team ?

They are obviously our main two offensive guys but when Harris is in the team they dont get the ball as much and less plays run for them.

I might be waaaaay off here and its just good timing that they are both on fire at the moment when we need them the most.

You might get run out of town but contrary to that, it's okay to have an opinion either way about Harris. I personally don't think its fair to assume that because we haven't seen him in this new offense. I assume he can adjust and we'll see the same positive results with Harris instead of Marble. The thing that worries me is that Marble is the better one on one defender so we might regress a little on that side of the ball. That being said, we're not really stopping teams from scoring, we're just outscoring them.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
gazken
Sophomore

Post#3 » by gazken » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Dont get me wrong I love Harris and hope Orlando re sign (not for Max money though).

Just interesting to see how players step up when other key ones are out. Loving the hustle and fast pace offence the last three games though.

hope we keep it up
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#4 » by jgosche » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:02 pm

I think that without Harris we got desperate and started trying to push the ball a lot more, and it just happened to work perfectly. I see no reason why an athletic forward who is shooting 40% from 3 won't be able to make us better once he returns from injury. If anything Harris has been running the court more than the rest of the team.

Vic and Vuc won't be putting up 30 a night as much but that's not a bad thing if our team is playing better overall.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,091

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 pm

gazken wrote:Hi everyone,

is it that? or is it that they both benefit from a faster pace??

I remember both Harris and Vuc producing just great while Dipo was out hurt. So Cause and Effect arent really tied together yet.

How about we wait and see what happens with this faster pace with all 3 before we start making declarations. You may very well be correct, or you may not.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#6 » by tooler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

I look forward to watching Harris in this new offense, but I wouldn't mind if he sits one more game to see how Vuc & Vic do as the primary options against Marc Gasol and Tony Allen.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#7 » by OrlandO » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm

And maybe they look like a "big 3" with harris in the lineup? He'd certainly make the wide open 3s marble is getting (and missing). On the other hand there is no doubt harris would dominate bench units, but I think he should get a chance to run with the starters before we go that route.
gazken
Sophomore

Post#8 » by gazken » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Be interesting to watch when Harris comes back thats for sure.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#9 » by j_n » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:09 pm

I think Harris will excel in the fast pace offense, but Marble's defense and passing are more valuable in the starting unit while Harris could keep our bench unit competitive.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#10 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Of course they benefit with him out, more shots to go around. BUT, that's not to say the team is better without him. I think because Harris went out, and because of the funk we've been in, the Magic decided to try and push the tempo, and it's worked out quite well so far. Key words: so far.

Hopefully the Magic keep the tempo up and keep pushing forward when Harris returns (and I think Gordon will be a great addition to a fast paced team). Hopefully his return does not mean the Magic slow it back down. It shouldn't, because Harris has always been one of the guys trying to push the tempo with others slowing it down.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#11 » by OrlandO » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Anyone think frye and/or vuc will eventually burn out playing this fast?
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#12 » by woosah » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:57 pm

OrlandO wrote:Anyone think frye and/or vuc will eventually burn out playing this fast?

hmm. This is a good question. Let Frye tell it last night in his interview, he can go as fast as we want lol. He did play in PHX fast paced offense so maybe he has it in him, but it will help when AG comes back too and maybe Frye can play with the second unit some because it slows down when Ridnour is in.

Vucevic is a mystery. He is more athletic than we gave him credit for and he is eating well off of it so i guess he will be down to keep it up, but JV has to keep his rotations tight to let these guys refresh themselves so if we use KOQ and Dedmon then it could work.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
tooler
General Manager

Post#13 » by tooler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:00 pm

OrlandO wrote:Anyone think frye and/or vuc will eventually burn out playing this fast?

Frye said he can run all day like this. He only needs to get to the top of the arc, after all! Some small ball with Tobias at the 4 would still be a great idea.

I do think Dedmon should get some more time. He ought to thrive at this pace. Maybe keep pushing Vuc for now to try to get to the ASG.

The wild card might be Payton, depending on whether you believe in the rookie wall.

Actually, remember Jacque saying 2400 minutes was a lot for Oladipo last season? We thought it was a tanking excuse but who knows. "Fortunately" Elfrid was benched early in the year so his MPG is low. He can play 32.3 per game from now on before hitting 2400. So we're good there.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#14 » by OrlandO » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 pm

tooler wrote:

Frye said he can run all day like this. He only needs to get to the top of the arc, after all! Some small ball with Tobias at the 4 would still be a great idea.

I do think Dedmon should get some more time. He ought to thrive at this pace. Maybe keep pushing Vuc for now to try to get to the ASG.

The wild card might be Payton, depending on whether you believe in the rookie wall.

Actually, remember Jacque saying 2400 minutes was a lot for Oladipo last season? We thought it was a tanking excuse but who knows. "Fortunately" Elfrid was benched early in the year so his MPG is low. He can play 32.3 per game from now on before hitting 2400. So we're good there.

I guess he can "run all day" because running for him is more like speed walking for every other human being. He looks so awkward going after loose balls...
tooler
General Manager

Post#15 » by tooler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:14 pm

tooler wrote:I look forward to watching Harris in this new offense, but I wouldn't mind if he sits one more game to see how Vuc & Vic do as the primary options against Marc Gasol and Tony Allen.

And Harris is out Friday according to Denton. No need to rush him back and get the dreaded "lingering ankle issues."

Vuc already proved something against Dwight but I'd like to see Oladipo make up for his bad game against Portland by playing well against Tony Allen. He doesn't need to score 30 though.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,128

Post#16 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:29 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Of course they benefit with him out, more shots to go around. BUT, that's not to say the team is better without him. I think because Harris went out, and because of the funk we've been in, the Magic decided to try and push the tempo, and it's worked out quite well so far. Key words: so far.

Hopefully the Magic keep the tempo up and keep pushing forward when Harris returns (and I think Gordon will be a great addition to a fast paced team). Hopefully his return does not mean the Magic slow it back down. It shouldn't, because Harris has always been one of the guys trying to push the tempo with others slowing it down.

Its is very unfair to correlate what has happened the last 3 games just because Harris is out. Its not Harris, its the pace. Now we are pushing the torrid pace that suits us best and we need to keep that going. I think Harris's game fits exceptionally well in this fast pace because he likes running and he can finish, plus he can shoot. The guy is very versatile and not the black hole some paint him to be. I think people forget the fast pace we played in the OKC game we won last year at the buzzer, we were playing fast that game and he was terrific. I know people are saying that him being out is giving Vuc and Dipo more shots, but let think about the number of shots we are getting because we are running more. The shots attempts have increased as a result, that is giving guys more opportunities. We are attempting more 3's too which we should have been doing a long time ago because we have shot it well all year. 2 of the past 3 games we have attempted around 91 shots compared to about 81 for the year so there will opportunities if they keep up the pace. Look at our FT attempts as well those have gone up quite a bit too.
aka: prorl
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#17 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:29 pm

jgosche wrote:I think that without Harris we got desperate and started trying to push the ball a lot more, and it just happened to work perfectly. I see no reason why an athletic forward who is shooting 40% from 3 won't be able to make us better once he returns from injury. If anything Harris has been running the court more than the rest of the team.

Vic and Vuc won't be putting up 30 a night as much but that's not a bad thing if our team is playing better overall.

Have you not seen the Knicks' offense for the past two years?
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#18 » by jgosche » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:37 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
jgosche wrote:I think that without Harris we got desperate and started trying to push the ball a lot more, and it just happened to work perfectly. I see no reason why an athletic forward who is shooting 40% from 3 won't be able to make us better once he returns from injury. If anything Harris has been running the court more than the rest of the team.

Have you not seen the Knicks' offense for the past two years?

Not really the point I was making, I was saying he was a natural fit for the offense we're trying to run. But since you said it, you think the Knicks would be better without Melo? The Knicks suck despite Melo, not because of him.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#19 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I think it's gotta be the improved pace of our game and not the injury to Harris that has helped Dipo and Vooch. Well, that and they're great basketball players who are getting better. We'll see if Tobias can run in this style offense when he gets healthy but I think he can only bring good things to our team if we keep playing like this. Best case scenario is that Tobias also thrives in this fast-paced offense like Dipo and Vooch. Worst case scenario is that he doesn't and he slides down to the 4 which can allow Frye some rest and potentially Vooch some rest since O'Quinn wouldn't need to play minutes at the 4 anymore.
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#20 » by Reverse_Angle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:57 pm

I like Harris and his game. that being said, I think, his size and defensive skills make him more suitable to come off of the bench, where he can defend and attach better that way (size, quickness, etc.).

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.

Return to Orlando Magic