ImageImageImageImage

Let's talk AG's shooting...

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm

...and how it's improved a lot. Coming out, his biggest knock was his shooting, and with his hard work, you can easily see how much he's improved. I don't know stats (small sample size anyway) but by the eye test, he's looking more and more like the right pick at #4. I'll even say his progression reminds me Kawhi Leonard's evolution. With his feet set, whenever he shoots a 3, I think it's going in. You can really see the improvement in his form.

With more PT and experience, he'll easily be the SF of our future.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Re: Let's talk AG's shooting... 

Post#2 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:27 pm

I been saying this since the day he was drafted that a 19 year old who doesn't shoot well can evolve into a solid outside shooter after 3-5 years. There have been plenty of players throughout NBA history who have done so. It all depends on the Players athletic abilities and desire to improve as well as hard work and dedication.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#3 » by tooler » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:30 pm

His shooting has been so good in this small sample size that I'm scared to get too excited.

Same with Elfrid these last 9 games. Let's never speak of it again and maybe it will continue indefinitely! ;)
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#4 » by drsd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:With more PT and experience, he'll easily be the SF of our future.

It is telling that Gordon-A's first NBA start came at SF.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#5 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 pm

drsd wrote:

So was Rodmans. Actually, Rodmans 1st two seasons in the NBA were at SF exclusively.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#6 » by OrlandO » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 pm

drsd wrote:

not realIy when Vaughn is the one making that decision...
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#7 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:44 pm

It's so hard to peg this kid down. I keep thinking Marion or Kemp, but I feel like he could be better. I'm really excited to watch his development.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#8 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:53 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:It's so hard to peg this kid down. I keep thinking Marion or Kemp, but I feel like he could be better. I'm really excited to watch his development.

He definitely reminds of Marion without the weird shooting motion. Long, lanky, great defender, high motor.

his shot has been surprisingly good. Even before the injury he was shooting the 3 ball at a decent clip. He looked great in the first half last night.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#9 » by purpleswordfish » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:57 pm

OrlandO wrote:
drsd wrote:

not realIy when Vaughn is the one making that decision...

He started at SF, and did well enough that his per 36 numbers for that game were 15+ ppg, 6+ rpg, 1.7 bpg. Oh yeah, he shot 60% from the field, 50% from 3 and made both free throws. He looked pretty solid on defense. But hey, anything to get a dig in on Jacque Vaughn right?

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Vaughn started him at PF, you'd have some problem with that as well.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#10 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 pm

I also notice when he shoots it, he looks very confident in his shot. The kid has worked HARD to get to where he's at and will only improve.

I was an Exum fanboy and was surprised we passed on him, but seeing what AG is, and what he has the potential to become, no brainer (doesn't hurt that we snagged EP later on). He's such a good fit next to EP and Vic because of his outside shot coming along, and he's a very good, and WILLING passer. He's the perfect glue-guy-SF we could've added to our young core.

A little Marion/Leonard skills with the heart and hustle of Rodman/Noah.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#11 » by tooler » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 pm

My favorite part about Aaron this season is how he makes the most of his minutes. Take a look at his game log. He's had a few games where he only scores 1-2 points in 10-15 minutes, but he's far more likely to score 6-8 in the same amount of time. That plus his surprising efficiency is why his PER is almost 17 right now.

Compare that to game logs for Dante Exum, for example, where he soaks up minutes without making an impact. Same age, but Gordon has that attack mentality on both ends. A year of college helped too. (Exum appears to be stepping up as a starter so good for him.)
ChiefWiggumz
Senior
And1: 172

Post#12 » by ChiefWiggumz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I also notice when he shoots it, he looks very confident in his shot. The kid has worked HARD to get to where he's at and will only improve.

I was an Exum fanboy and was surprised we passed on him, but seeing what AG is, and what he has the potential to become, no brainer (doesn't hurt that we snagged EP later on). He's such a good fit next to EP and Vic because of his outside shot coming along, and he's a very good, and WILLING passer. He's the perfect glue-guy-SF we could've added to our young core.

A little Marion/Leonard skills with the heart and hustle of Rodman/Noah.

That's just it with him and Elf, confidence.

I know it's Gordon's first couple of games back, but you can tell he couldn't wait to return, and that he had worked on his shot.

Earlier in the season both him and Elfrid got the ball, would be open, and very hesitant about letting it fly. Now, you can see, that they understand a good shot when it's there and take it.

Elfrid is playing at the rim a lot more which I love. His floater looks great. He has the handles, footwork, speed, and IQ to develop some Tony Parker like moves. Playing off the glass and through screens will help him to some easy points.
drsd
RealGM

Post#13 » by drsd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:So was Rodmans. Actually, Rodmans 1st two seasons in the NBA were at SF exclusively.

Gordon-A's scouting line coming out of college is tough rebounder and explosive defender. That is a Rodman-lite view. Adding a jumper to Gordon-A's game, we have a hall of famer on our hands!

More seriously, I agree with the time-line of two years at SF and then a physical development to transition to PF. It is what makes the most sense to me today, given the current roster.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#14 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

drsd wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:So was Rodmans. Actually, Rodmans 1st two seasons in the NBA were at SF exclusively.

Gordon-A's scouting line coming out of college is tough rebounder and explosive defender. That is a Rodman-lite view. Adding a jumper to Gordon-A's game, we have a hall of famer on our hands!

More seriously, I agree with the time-line of two years at SF and then a physical development to transition to PF. It is what makes the most sense to me today, given the current roster.

I remember competing in sports at 18-19 then transitioning thru 22-23 once I was able to add body mass for strength because in the beginning, my metabolism was too fast to attain mass. Once I did attain mass, I could hold my own against bigger players on the courts. This will happen with AG.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#15 » by Skin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Count our lucky stars.... Henny strikes again!!!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Skin wrote:Count our lucky stars.... Henny strikes again!!!

Henny fired Vaughn!?!?!?! :o

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#17 » by OrlDave » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

Dude don't do that lol. I was like... what? DID HE? Oh wait...
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#18 » by Skin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:43 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

No, but it's nice to have our own version of Lebron James in the making. :D
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM

Post#19 » by drsd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:This will happen with AG.

Word.

purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#20 » by purpleswordfish » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:30 pm

tooler wrote:My favorite part about Aaron this season is how he makes the most of his minutes. Take a look at his game log. He's had a few games where he only scores 1-2 points in 10-15 minutes, but he's far more likely to score 6-8 in the same amount of time. That plus his surprising efficiency is why his PER is almost 17 right now.

Compare that to game logs for Dante Exum, for example, where he soaks up minutes without making an impact. Same age, but Gordon has that attack mentality on both ends. A year of college helped too. (Exum appears to be stepping up as a starter so good for him.)

Aaron Gordon is playing the right way. He said something along the lines of not trying to force anything and do what he knows will help the team do well. Very good mentality for a young player who isn't completely polished and is still getting used to the pro game's nuances.

Return to Orlando Magic