ImageImageImageImage

Game Thread: Magic (15-37) vs Lakers (13-36) The James Borrego Era Begins 2/6 7PM

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Re: Game Thread: Magic (15-37) vs Lakers (13-36) The James Borrego Era Begins 2/6 7PM 

Post#601 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:45 am

pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:Even if we hire a great coach (George Karl) and finish the year playing .500 ball (unlikely) we would be 30-52, still bad enough for a decent pick. Let's just get our coach and let the year play out ok, there is nothing to argue about here anyway. When we were obviously tanking last year it was cool to root for losses, we aren't tanking this year we just suck, so be a fan and let the season play out.

How seriously am I supposed to take your "it's not cool to root for losses" when you have a banner campaigning for our ex-coach to be fired? Hypocrites gonna hypocrite.

I think you must be confused lol, it's 1:45 am where I am, you must be tired.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Re: Game Thread: Magic (15-37) vs Lakers (13-36) The James Borrego Era Begins 2/6 7PM 

Post#602 » by orlando1214 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:46 am

NEM wrote:Winning is ridiculous? No what's ridiculous is cheering for your "favorite team" to lose. What you're saying is that if you aren't a top contender you should just forfeit the season. What happens when we draft okafor or towns, or whoever and we STILL suck? Do we just keep cheering for losses? You understand that you don't go from crap to world beater in one season right? Unless you get a sure fire hall of famer, it's not happening. Guess what? Those guys come around every 10 to 15 years... The last one came in 2007. Go root for someone else to lose you bunch of losers.

Keep it coming NEM, you're exactly right! I mean seriously, why even play the damn game if winning isn't what you set out to do? I don't care what your record is, you play every game with intensity and you play to win, that's why these players get paid millions of dollars. I mean how messed up is it that tanking teams want their fans to pay and watch them play, but in return half-ass it and lose on purpose? This should not be supported!

Also, this notion that drafting Okafor or Town is the only solution is getting old. This team can get better in many different ways, and tanking is not the only solution. I'm sick of people bringing up the OKC model like it's the only way to build a team. Hell, look at probably the two best teams right now, Atlanta and Golden State, neither of those teams relied on a tank to get them a top 3 pick. I bet people have told the Hawks a million times to tank over the past several years, but despite barely making the playoffs many years, they didn't tank but still manage to build a very good team with smart moves.

Then you had the Warriors, who were a pretty bad team for a long time, but despite not having a top 3 pick for several years, they still were able to find their star players with a 7th pick and an 11th pick. So why can't the Magic play hard the rest of the year but still draft a good meaningful player 4-8 instead of a top 3 pick? There isn't a perfect model for building a team, but what it takes is making smart moves and developing your talent the right way. So why sacrifice one for the other? Does developing our guys now automatically mean the Magic can't make a smart draft pick this year? Of course not. But does tanking mean this team is sacrifices developing these players right? I think so. I'm sick of waiting until next year to make progress, let's do it now, there's still a lot of games left!
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#603 » by pogiro » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:47 am

Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:Even if we hire a great coach (George Karl) and finish the year playing .500 ball (unlikely) we would be 30-52, still bad enough for a decent pick. Let's just get our coach and let the year play out ok, there is nothing to argue about here anyway. When we were obviously tanking last year it was cool to root for losses, we aren't tanking this year we just suck, so be a fan and let the season play out.

How seriously am I supposed to take your "it's not cool to root for losses" when you have a banner campaigning for our ex-coach to be fired? Hypocrites gonna hypocrite.

Way to tip toe around the issue.
doraem0n
Pro Prospect
And1: 37

Post#604 » by doraem0n » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:48 am

NEM wrote:
pogiro wrote:You belligerent "win now" fans are hilarious. The point is winning games? I wonder how many games you'd be hoping to win if you replace AG with Bruno Caboclo or James Young because we didn't tank last year. The point is winning games? No, the point is building a foundation that can contend. How many games did the Seattle Supersonics win before they drafted Durant? How many games did Cleveland win before drafting LeBron? How many games did the Spurs win before drafting Duncan? You don't care, do you? Y'all get all up in arms when fellow fans are ok tanking, but then you're right there with us when cheering for the guys we're able to get as a result of tanking.

Show me the next Durant, lebron, or Duncan in the 2013 draft, 2014 draft, 2015 draft, and 2016 draft... Don't worry I'll wait

Those picks in 2013 and 14 helped Cav to get Lebron and Love. I honestly trust Lebron's return is because he felt there are right pieces there by some consecutive top picks.

You may not like tanking but that is what bad teams are actually doing. Why do you think Lakers shot over 50% in the first half and only take long jumpers with the clock running out at the end of the game? The rim is **** bleeding after all these long bricks.

I love Ws in a wasted season but it should be competiting with some good teams like the one we had in Chicago and against Rockets. A W with a garbage Lakers team while they don't even bother to put Lin back in the game. Why should I be excited? What is the problem when people want to draft ahead of Lakers?
TreasureCoast
Analyst

Post#606 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:50 am

pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:

What issue? I wanted Jacque Vaughn fired for sooooo long, you want to know why?
Spoiler:
I want to win
pogiro
Rookie

Post#607 » by pogiro » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:51 am

OrlandO wrote:Image

HAHAHA, I dunno why but I need an explanation for the gif.
pogiro
Rookie

Post#608 » by pogiro » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:54 am

Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:I think you must be confused lol, it's 1:45 am where I am, you must be tired.

Spoiler:
I want to win

Yes, you wanted JV gone because you want to win. JV failed to bring it altogether. Well, I've been watching all year and our front court is soft as hell and has failed to protect the rim. I want to bring in Towns because I think that'll be a hell lot more meaningful at winning, than a few wins now. Exactly where does that make me not a fan?

My point was you can root for our coach to be fired, but I can't root for us to get a high draft pick?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#609 » by drsd » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:55 am

The Orlando home fans needed a win. To grind one out like this is satisfying. And for the tankers - Orlando is not going lose out the season. As a minimum there will be 10 more wins.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#610 » by drsd » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:56 am

BTW: do we just auto-vest Harris. Or are we going to see if he an cap 90% on his vote?
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#611 » by orlando1214 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:57 am

doraem0n wrote:
Those picks in 2013 and 14 helped Cav to get Lebron and Love. I honestly trust Lebron's return is because he felt there are right pieces there by some consecutive top picks.

You may not like tanking but that is what bad teams are actually doing. Why do you think Lakers shot over 50% in the first half and only take long jumpers with the clock running out at the end of the game? The rim is **** bleeding after all these long bricks.

I love Ws in a wasted season but it should be competiting with some good teams like the one we had in Chicago and against Rockets. A W with a garbage Lakers team while they don't even bother to put Lin back in the game. Why should I be excited? What is the problem when people want to draft ahead of Lakers?

Except the Cavs didn't tank last year, they lucked into that 1st pick. So whose to say the same thing can't happen to the Magic? Even the year before that, when the Cavs got it the first time, they maybe tanked but they didn't have the worst record, that was the Magic. So tanking wasn't even a huge part in why they got those picks, it was luck.
TreasureCoast
Analyst

Post#612 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:03 am

pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:

Spoiler:
I want to win

Yes, you wanted JV gone because you want to win. JV failed to bring it altogether. Well, I've been watching all year and our front court is soft as hell and has failed to protect the rim. I want to bring in Towns because I think that'll be a hell lot more meaningful at winning, than a few wins now. Exactly where does that make me not a fan?

My point was you can root for our coach to be fired, but I can't root for us to get a high draft pick?

Never said you weren't a fan.

But let's be honest here, replacing Jacque with any of the available candidates brings us more wins than the POSSIBILITY of drafting one guy who we have no guarantee of getting.
doraem0n
Pro Prospect
And1: 37

Post#613 » by doraem0n » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:04 am

NEM wrote:For all of the losers, I mean tankers, out there: do you feel that by getting as many top 3 picks as possible over like 3 or 4 years that makes us a dynasty of sorts? Do you feel that we would be winning at losing? Losing breeds losers... I guess that's what happened to you all.

Everyone is cheering for wins before the pipedream for playoffs has came to an end this year. If we do not have top picks in a wasted season, that is another major lose we talk about.

If we do not get enforcements during the summer, you might have to argue with more and more tankers in next few years.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#614 » by NEM » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:09 am

There's no point in arguing with someone who fails to see why tanking is moronic. IT DOESNT WORK. If you can't see that, I'm done wasting my time. I'll be rooting for my team to win every game no matter what the record is. I physically CANT root for losses. Idk if it's my competitiveness or what it is, but I can't root for something I love to suck. Have fun!
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
pogiro
Rookie

Post#615 » by pogiro » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:11 am

NEM wrote:There's no point in arguing with someone who fails to see why tanking is moronic. IT DOESNT WORK. If you can't see that, I'm done wasting my time. I'll be rooting for my team to win every game no matter what the record is. I physically CANT root for losses. Idk if it's my competitiveness or what it is, but I can't root for something I love to suck. Have fun!

Exactly. You don't think, you just cheer. But when this team gets into contention with the players we get from the draft, you'll cheer just the same I'm sure. :lol:
pogiro
Rookie

Post#616 » by pogiro » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:15 am

Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:What issue? I wanted Jacque Vaughn fired for sooooo long, you want to know why?
Spoiler:
I want to win

But let's be honest here, replacing Jacque with any of the available candidates brings us more wins than the POSSIBILITY of drafting one guy who we have no guarantee of getting.

From that one post it seemed you were saying it's not cool to root for losses and it's not being a fan. But whatever. And I don't really get the JV vs. draft question. But it seems you are saying that firing JV means more than a high draft pick in terms of the future of this team. No, I will not say that.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#617 » by Truth24 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:15 am

You know why I loved that win, because it helps our young guys out. Losing over and over again can have a real negative effect on young guys, it puts a bad taste in their mouth. During the last ten minutes of that game our entire bench was standing up and rooting on the guys the pull out that W. I saw Tobias really show great leadership qualities, as he keep pumping up his teammates and got the crowd in the game.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#618 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:23 am

Good win! Proud of our guys!
TreasureCoast
Analyst

Post#619 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:29 am

pogiro wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:
pogiro wrote:

From that one post it seemed you were saying it's not cool to root for losses and it's not being a fan. But whatever. And I don't really get the JV vs. draft question. But it seems you are saying that firing JV means more than a high draft pick in terms of the future of this team. No, I will not say that.

Well there is different ways of being a fan, I am sure you are just as passionate as other Magic fans.
When you support tanking every year it shows that you don't really have faith in the guys on our team. I agree we need rim protection, there are different ways to solve that. We are not done building this team. Getting that coveted #5 pick isn't going to make or break us compared to getting #8.
I like the players we have on our team right now, who's to say one of them doesn't develop into a star or the perfect fit chemistry wise in the system our next coach implements.
There has to be an inflection point in a rebuild, the front office planned on this season for improvement. Like I said just be glad JV was here long enough to get that single digit lottery pick.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#620 » by NEM » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:37 am

Truth24 wrote:You know why I loved that win, because it helps our young guys out. Losing over and over again can have a real negative effect on young guys, it puts a bad taste in their mouth. During the last ten minutes of that game our entire bench was standing up and rooting on the guys the pull out that W. I saw Tobias really show great leadership qualities, as he keep pumping up his teammates and got the crowd in the game.

This x100000... This is why you don't tank. It's not good for a players psyche, especially a young player. Wins are gonna prove to be worth more than just that one win when this team is competing... But go ahead and keep rooting for losses cause that'll make is better...
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.

Return to Orlando Magic