ImageImageImageImage

Should The Magic hire a coach mid-season or in the summer?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Mid-Season
60%
Summer
40%

Total votes: 25

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#1 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:04 pm

Mid-Season

Pros: Other teams are not currently looking, the Magic pretty much have their pick of the litter. It would give the new head coach actual game time to work with the team and see what works and improve on things before heading into the summer (also get a sense of who needs to be traded). Could mean a faster progression and a better start to next season. A stronger finish could also appeal to free agents.

Cons: A new coach could mean a strong finish to the season and a higher draft pick. Prospects may not want to come in mid-season (though I doubt that would be a deal breaker).

Summer

Pros: Likely a higher draft pick as the team will probably under perform the rest of the season. The Magic would also have more time to vet and interview all the candidates and take their time with their negotiations and selection. It also gives the new head coach more time to find assistants. Possible chance to land Thibs out of Chicago (who rumors suggest may be on the way out).

Cons: Other teams will be looking for new coaches as well, including other appealing locations and teams. The Magic will not have their choice, and it could impact contract negotiations and who is available. The Magic could end up with their 3rd or 4th choice. Free agents could be turned off by another high lottery pick (or they could see it as a team with a lot of young talent, could go either way).
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Re: Should The Magic hire a coach mid-season or in the summer? 

Post#2 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:08 pm

Unless the Magic have their eye on some other teams assistant coach or a chance at Thibs, they should hire someone now.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#3 » by jgosche » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:25 pm

Not sure why we'd need a coach now. We have a 0.3% chance of making the playoffs, so I don't think we really need to worry about this year. Take your time and find the best possible candidate.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#4 » by orlando1214 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:27 pm

I think right now the Magic should look into hiring someone during the all-star break, but that doesn't mean they have to do it then. The Magic are in a very good spot right now where they basically don't have any competition for any of the coaches available, so if they can find the right guy then there shouldn't be any problems hiring them. With that said, I think the most important thing is to not rush and hire the wrong guy just to get a new coach. However, if they are interested in the coaches available now, then I don't see any reason to wait and hire someone until summer, but I'm not on the tanking bandwagon either so my opinion is different from others on here.

I think how Borrego does the next 4 games before the break is important as well. I mean I realize he might not be able to change much in that time period, but if he can get these guys to play hard and improve on defense, then I'm all for keeping him around until the end of the season. However, if he is just JV 2.0., then they need to replace him as soon as they find the right guy.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#5 » by JaxMagic » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:30 pm

Let's hire a coach in the last week of the regular season. We get the pick of the litter AND the high draft pick.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#6 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:39 pm

Don't hire a coach now, just let the players play!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#7 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:10 pm

If your #1 #2 option are available now (and depends on the margin between them in ranks), make the hire and finish the season strong. Give him a chance to see what he has and how he'll use players. With that done, it'll also help the GM plan offseason moves.

If you're not happy with candidates and think a good one will come in the summer, wait.
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#8 » by jgosche » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:17 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Don't hire a coach now, just let the players play!

They deserve a party after enduring two and half years of Jacque.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#9 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:43 pm

If we can get Karl now we should sign him now. Don't want to lose him to the Kings. If we're looking at a guy like Skiles then just wait till the offseason since he'll probably still be around and there's a chance another good candidate will pop up.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#10 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:55 pm

Summer. Unless they think the guy at the top of their list Is at risk of signing elsewhere. I think they need to be patient and not rush into anything. Hire the best fit for this team.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#11 » by Neon1 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:13 pm

Karl wants the job and wants it now. He is the best coach available, and these kids need to actually LEARN and salvage what we haven't already damaged in their development and learning. You hire him NOW before more attractive jobs open up this summer.

We are the prettiest girl left at the bar at 2:00am. You grab Karl and run. We cannot afford to continue to hurt these kids learning, right now shapes what type of players they will be.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#12 » by tooler » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:29 pm

Is Jim Harbaugh still available?
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#13 » by MellowRose » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:32 pm

Hire Karl or Malone right now forever.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#14 » by purpleswordfish » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:33 pm

Neon1 wrote:Karl wants the job and wants it now. He is the best coach available, and these kids need to actually LEARN and salvage what we haven't already damaged in their development and learning. You hire him NOW before more attractive jobs open up this summer.

We are the prettiest girl left at the bar at 2:00am. You grab Karl and run. We cannot afford to continue to hurt these kids learning, right now shapes what type of players they will be.

Where has Karl stated he "wants the job and wants it now?" I must have missed something.

My personal opinion is that the Magic should wait until the end of the season. There is absolutely zero reason to move to coach #3 this season. Anyone that is a candidate now will more than likely be there in the offseason.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#15 » by Neon1 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:52 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
Neon1 wrote:Karl wants the job and wants it now. He is the best coach available, and these kids need to actually LEARN and salvage what we haven't already damaged in their development and learning. You hire him NOW before more attractive jobs open up this summer.

Where has Karl stated he "wants the job and wants it now?" I must have missed something.

My personal opinion is that the Magic should wait until the end of the season. There is absolutely zero reason to move to coach #3 this season. Anyone that is a candidate now will more than likely be there in the offseason.

Yeah, but we will not be the only team looking for a coach. Much better teams with better chance at winning will have openings by the summer.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#16 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:58 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:

Well you aren't going to find an exact statement. However, he's practically begging for the job on Twitter and Kennedy claims to have a source saying he has "interest in coaching Orlando and possibly joining the team midseason."
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,140

Post#17 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:02 pm

NO time to waste. Easy remaining schedule and I would love to see us create an identity and get some success to finish out the year.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#18 » by purpleswordfish » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:04 pm

OrlandO wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:

Well you aren't going to find an exact statement. However, he's practically begging for the job on Twitter and Kennedy claims to have a source saying he has "interest in coaching Orlando and possibly joining the team midseason."

Your definition of "begging" is certainly different than mine. He's made a couple polite comments on Twitter to people asking him to take the Orlando job. Alex Kennedy doesn't have a source that was willing to put their name on it, so he might have gotten that "information" from Aunt Jemima at the breakfast table this morning for all we know.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#19 » by OrlandO » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:16 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:

Your definition of "begging" is certainly different than mine. He's made a couple polite comments on Twitter to people asking him to take the Orlando job. Alex Kennedy doesn't have a source that was willing to put their name on it, so he might have gotten that "information" from Aunt Jemima at the breakfast table this morning for all we know.

Well you were in denial about vaughn, so I don't expect you to read between the lines here either. :wink:
Karl's been getting tweets from magic fans for the past couple weeks and has stayed quiet. As soon as Vaughn is fired he starts mentioning Orlando, praises our talent and even retweets a photoshopped picture of himself in a magic huddle. It's no secret he is dying to get back to coaching and it seems pretty obvious to me he is showing plenty of interest in the Magic. Kennedy also chimed in before karl even said anything, too. You can choose to completely ignore his source, or you can be open to the idea that it could just as easily be something passed along from Karl's agent. Keep in mind Kennedy originally shot down the idea on twitter due to comments made by karl in the past and then a few hours later he surfaced with a contrasting rumor... he talked to someone. My money is on Karl's handler.

edit: Maybe this is obvious enough for you? :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachKarl22/status/563774550920269824[/tweet]
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 516

Post#20 » by jjohns828 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:29 pm

Neon1 wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:

Yeah, but we will not be the only team looking for a coach. Much better teams with better chance at winning will have openings by the summer.

I agree with this, there are good candidates out there right now and I'd rather lock one of them up rather than compete for them with other teams that might have vacancies in the off season.

Return to Orlando Magic