ImageImageImageImage

Should The Magic hire a coach mid-season or in the summer?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should The Magic hire a coach mid-season or in the summer?

Mid-Season
60%
Summer
40%

Total votes: 25

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: Should The Magic hire a coach mid-season or in the summer? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:18 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Unless the Magic have their eye on some other teams assistant coach or a chance at Thibs, they should hire someone now.

To add: if it is Orlando's intention to hire Karl/Skiles/Malone, etc., having said coach eveluate the roster in game situations will be a huge help for GM Hennigan in the draft, trade, and Free agent market. The "rush" that usually goes with that will be muted.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#22 » by MoMM » Sat Feb 7, 2015 1:32 pm

drsd wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Unless the Magic have their eye on some other teams assistant coach or a chance at Thibs, they should hire someone now.

To add: if it is Orlando's intention to hire Karl/Skiles/Malone, etc., having said coach eveluate the roster in game situations will be a huge help for GM Hennigan in the draft, trade, and Free agent market. The "rush" that usually goes with that will be muted.

That's my point too. If we gonna hire the same coach, now or in the summer. I prefer to hire now, probably we would have a worst draft pick, but the HC will be able to evaluate the current players in real game situations, in practices. You also will be able to see how the players answer to yours demands. There are a lot of things you can't say by just watching the games on TV or being told by assistants.
tmacfan512
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#23 » by tmacfan512 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 2:21 pm

Karl would be the perfect hire, makes a lot of sense. That being said, doubt it happens.Watching Hennigan's press conf the other day, it seems apparent they want a "yes man" or "company man" in place right now. They even said borrego would be a perfect company man as well during the pressor. We can hope for a shift in priorities this summer, if karl is still available. I think the management plan was always still to lose games at this point -- just to be more competitive -- they just had to something with jacque because he lost the team -- no coincidence he got canned after multiple blowouts/losses, right before season ticket renewal time. Management doesnt mind the losses, they just want the games to be closer
chosen12141
Junior
And1: 117

Post#24 » by chosen12141 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 4:21 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:If your #1 #2 option are available now (and depends on the margin between them in ranks), make the hire and finish the season strong. Give him a chance to see what he has and how he'll use players. With that done, it'll also help the GM plan offseason moves.

If you're not happy with candidates and think a good one will come in the summer, wait.

I think along the same lines here Nyce_1, but the problem lies with picking Mr. Right, instead of Mr. Right now! If you listen to the board members, Get Karl in here now before the Kings snatch him up! OK, but what if Karl can not finish the job (illness or compatibility) because like Skiles, Karl will feud with the FO via the media! So, it's a gamble...... a huge gamble either way we approach this thing!

To be honest, I like Skiles right now, but you would have to include a distemperment clause in his contract! Lol! :cry: :cry: :lol:
Waiting for the Championship parade at Lake Eola!

Return to Orlando Magic