ImageImageImageImage

What's your Orlando Magic RealGM unpopular opinion?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Re: What's your Orlando Magic RealGM unpopular opinion? 

Post#181 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 3, 2015 1:37 am

The Other Ankle wrote:Vuc is pretty good at everything, including passing and defence. He will continue to improve as well, because his game is rooted in skill and intelligence and he works hard to improve. Also, he's like 6' 10", not 7 foot.

how can he be 6'10 when he was measured at 6'11.75" at the draft combine?
AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Post#182 » by AshBlackstone » Tue Mar 3, 2015 1:50 am

The Other Ankle wrote:Vuc is pretty good at everything, including passing and defence. He will continue to improve as well, because his game is rooted in skill and intelligence and he works hard to improve. Also, he's like 6' 10", not 7 foot.

Vucevic is not good on defense. The metrics support that.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#183 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Mar 3, 2015 2:56 am

AshBlackstone wrote:

okayyyy but he's not 6-10...
AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Post#184 » by AshBlackstone » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:13 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
AshBlackstone wrote:

okayyyy but he's not 6-10...

Whatever argument is going on about his height, I couldn't care less. I was merely correcting someone about his defense. It's bad. Real bad.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#185 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:16 am

AshBlackstone wrote:

Whatever argument is going on about his height, I couldn't care less. I was merely correcting someone about his defense. It's bad. Real bad.

this i agree with, it's really painfully terrible.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,067

Post#186 » by SOUL » Tue Mar 3, 2015 7:55 am

harkless is actually really good on defense when we played him last year with oladipo and could've had a bigger impact than harris if we decided to put time into development on him (playing time) - but idk maybe hes not trying hard enough in practice or whatever our coaches say
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#187 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 3, 2015 1:40 pm

In regards to Defense, how many centers out there are as good at defense as people here think they should be? Vooch is not as bad on defense as people here make him out to be. It is not like defensive masterminds grow on trees and are readily available. You take the good with the bad when you pick up potential all-stars. What a good defense comes down to is what is called Team Defense. If you have piss poor coaching then you won't have a good team defense. It is not all on the players. Stan had solid defenses with Ryno, Hedo, JJ, Meer etc starting on his teams.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ChiefWiggumz
Senior
And1: 172

Post#188 » by ChiefWiggumz » Tue Mar 3, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't know if you guys are 16, or just don't know basketball.

Vuc is no where near terrible on defense. He plays his man pretty well, does a good job staying in front, keeping a hand up, and boxing out. He gets lost a little in rotations, and of course doesn't have the elite athleticism to guard some guys, but he is mobile enough to put forth an effort.

And like BMP said, it all comes down to team defense. Our team needs more reliable rim protection on the court, but it doesn't have to be in place of Nik.
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#189 » by The Other Ankle » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:23 pm

tiderulz wrote:

how can he be 6'10 when he was measured at 6'11.75" at the draft combine?

Stilts. Look at him next to a confirmed 7-footer. He's clearly under.
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#190 » by The Other Ankle » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:35 pm

AshBlackstone wrote:

This is the unpopular opinion thread, right? I don't think he's bad. The paint-clogging metrics don't think he's bad. And the new (interim) coach doesn't think he's bad at all as quoted in the Sentinel story about the defensive improvement of the team.

It is true that he doesn't trap the pick and roll tremendously or soar and block a lot of shots. But he's intelligent and gives good effort. He's not bad now and he's improving. I noticed his first year here that he got called on lots of touch fouls while actually playing the ball honestly. He was playing his man and defending their moves, but couldn't catch a break. Now he holds his ground better with far fewer fouls. I'm sure that he has been working on his defense as well as his offense this whole time. We're lucky to have him!

So where are the whiners who say he can't pass either? He's starting to zip the ball with some authority I noticed before the current "injury".
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#191 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:37 pm

AshBlackstone wrote:

Skin color and ethnicity aren't basketball metrics. sorry.

http://www.nba.com/magic/gallery/cohen-8ball-ranking-magics-top-5-defenders

"He doesn't swat shots into the 3rd row so he must not be a good defender" is a broke down argument.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#192 » by orthoman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:12 pm

We wont have a decent team until the 9th year of rebuild.....by that time, most of us will no longer be following the Magic, or
most of us will have moved out of this transient, tourist city.
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#193 » by VoiceOReason » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 pm

orthoman wrote:We wont have a decent team until the 9th year of rebuild.....by that time, most of us will no longer be following the Magic, or
most of us will have moved out of this transient, tourist city.

Did you forget green font?

Have already played up and down to competition this year...with a competent coach that should level out somewhat....and god forbid we actually spend some of the cap space wisely on a player that fits this team and grow with the talented young core...year 9? Why not look on the bright side...at most one more year of not being at least somewhat competitive and getting into the post season...
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#194 » by OrlDave » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 pm

In the light of the negative people here, I'll post my positive opinion. I like watching a team be built. It's fun caring about the draft and watching our young players grow. Not as fun as winning of course, but you have to crawl before you walk, so may as well enjoy the process.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#195 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 pm

That NIck Anderson was the combination of best/most loyal Magic player we've had, and deserves to have his jersey retired. In fact I think it's a travesty that it has not been for these reasons.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 304

Post#196 » by Mad Guru » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:That NIck Anderson was the best/most loyal Magic player we've had, and deserves to have his jersey retired. In fact I think it's a travesty that it has not been for these reasons.

Role players don't get their jersey's retired
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Post#197 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:41 am

Mad Guru wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:That NIck Anderson was the best/most loyal Magic player we've had, and deserves to have his jersey retired. In fact I think it's a travesty that it has not been for these reasons.

Role players don't get their jersey's retired

exactly
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Post#198 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 am

Both Vooch and Harris are empty stat collectors that do not equate to wins.

Secondly that Voochs spacing will destroy Oladipo's ability to create in the paint long term.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#199 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 am

I thought this was a thread to express an unpopular opinion. Not express and get attacked by people who have no idea what they're talking about... Which is what this board seems to be all about these days, and imo WHY the majority of the good posters don't post here that often anymore.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#200 » by JF5 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 am

T-DOT KEEZY wrote:Both Vooch and Harris are empty stat collectors that do not equate to wins.

Secondly that Voochs spacing will destroy Oladipo's ability to create in the paint long term.

:lol:

People in here I swear....

Return to Orlando Magic