ImageImageImageImage

2015 NFL Draft Combine

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Re: 2015 NFL Draft Combine 

Post#21 » by tiderulz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Winston's problems are due to over confidence and a lack of understanding of the fact that the world is watching. The Manziel and Leaf comparisons are ridiculous as those guys had red flags in college related to drugs and / or alcohol. It is much harder to expect a young man to grow out of addiction than it is to expect a young man to simply grow up.

i know you are a fan of his. To me, his problems are due to overconfidence, its due to that he doesnt believe that the rules that other people have to abide by extend to him. Free stuff, say what you want, risky sex with girls (whether its a he said/she said, was forced, etc), etc. He follows his own set of rules. very similar to Manziel and we all just saw how that worked out. JW is better suited for the pro's vs Manziel.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#22 » by tiderulz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Does anyone have a list of QBs who played primarily in a spread offense in college but successfully made the transition to an NFL system?

I would be very interested in seeing that. In fact, I would also like to see a list of guys who tried and failed.

it depends on the type of spread, run vs pass spread.

Brees and Rodgers played in a pass spread. Alex Smith in Meyers run option spread. Russell Wilson a spread at NC state, normal at Wisconsin. Cam Newton.

The list is small though, compared to pocket passers. But i think a big part of it is, most NFL teams dont run a spread style offense. Hence the skills that got them drafted high are not the ones they then use in a normal offense.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#23 » by Magic#1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:03 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
So I know I cut off the last piece of your comment here but this part right here is worth talking about. I can't think of a single person I know who doesn't have moments in undergrad they aren't proud of. None of us were Heisman winning QBs so none of those mistakes followed us as we did in fact grow up.

Now, the part of your comment I left off is important as we were not handed millions of dollars and hence we were forced to grow up if we wanted to support ourselves after college.

Winston's problems are due to over confidence and a lack of understanding of the fact that the world is watching. The Manziel and Leaf comparisons are ridiculous as those guys had red flags in college related to drugs and / or alcohol. It is much harder to expect a young man to grow out of addiction than it is to expect a young man to simply grow up.

Theft. Rape allegations were there were many reports about shady investigation by the police. Obscene acts. Not everybody gets charged with these acts in college. Those aren't ordinary acts of college rebellion. Don't marginalize those.
Also, those addictions are symptoms of a character problem. The act of addiction in and of itself is not the problem. It's deeper than that. With Manziel and Leaf, their addictions are the result of a character problem. With Jameis, his acts are the result of a character problem. People always think athletes can automatically develop ethics and maturity and it usually doesn't happen. You have to solve the main issue rather than just the symptom. So far, all we have are Jameis' words that he has solved his issues, and in the past few years his words don't mean a whole lot. I want the guy to be successful and to stay out of trouble. I hope he does, but evidence shows that's not likely to happen and the NFL takes this stuff very seriously now. This wouldn't be as big of an issue 10 years ago pre-Goodell, but now it is and it has to play a factor.

Last I heard, the crab legs incident was a baseball team hazing gag. I was in a frat at FSU. We had lists of things to do as pledges. Some we did. Some we didn't. I'm not entirely defending him here as he should have been smart enough to know this was something he shouldn't have done but it wasn't a case of him thinking he was entitled to it or he was too special to have to pay.

Why didn't the girl have a rape test done? Why did the girl lie about being drunk? Why did the girl change her story as to who was in the room and which room it happened? Why did the girl demand $7 million from Winston before speaking to police?

He clearly needs to understand that people are going to try to take advantage of him and he should be so naive as to play along them. He also needs to understand that the world is watching whether he likes it or not.

He will have a far better support staff around him in the NFL than he has ever had before. He can take advantage of that or not. A team simply has to believe that he will. That belief (or doubt) will come from the interviews.

Wow. We see this incident in two completely different ways then, and I'll just leave it at that.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#24 » by Magic#1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08 pm

InFlames wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:As a Bucs fan, I really, really, really hope we do not take the chance on Jameis. I hope he gets his head on straight no matter where he goes, but with the way the NFL has cracked down on its players in recent years and that Jameis has continually gotten in trouble (to say the least), he is not the type of guy I want to risk the No. 1 pick on. If you don't have character when you're in college, you're not going to all of a sudden grow up when you become the No. 1 pick and have millions at your disposal. While him and Manziel have had different issues, it does show that players don't all of a sudden lose their struggles once they get drafted. Sure, Jameis is extremely charming, a great leader on the field and even likeable, he has shown that he can't be trusted. Plus, he threw a ton of bad interceptions last year which people are looking over. Having watched a lot of FSU games, quite a few were really bad picks. Now, he still has fantastic abillity and if he were clean off the field, I'd take him No. 1 but he's not. I am really hoping for Mariota. Just because some one is more of an introvert and quiet does not mean they are not just as good of a leader. He had a fantastic rep with his team, has a great arm and is ridiculously accurate. Sure, there will be a transition under center, but that is teachable. He can learn that. You can't learn character. That has way more to do with success at the professional level than we'd like to admit.

A lot of those interceptions weren't his fault, he had 2 true freshman receivers who would screw up their routes. Most of his interceptions were because of risky passes, that is one thing Winston tends to do, he will go for high risk high reward passes quite often. No one would say that he is an inaccurate passer. I watched every game he played and the interceptions don't scare me in the slightest.

Yes, and that is a big concern in the NFL. You can have guys like Favre who can get away with that, but those guys are few and far between. I definitely didn't mean to imply that he's inaccurate. He's got all the physical tools down pat. It's the decisions he makes that is a little concerning. Still, if he was completely clean off the field, those wouldn't keep me from taking him No. 1. I'm just saying that people question Mariota's accuracy and act like Jameis makes every throw and decision perfectly.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#25 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:50 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Clearly most here have made up their minds on Winston vs. Mariota and no amount of debating on this forum will sway anyone.

I am really curious to see what the Jags do at #3. They basically need everything. It is too early to give up on Blake Bortles (although that day will soon come) so if not a QB, who are they crossing their fingers for at #3?

Leonard WIlliams?
Shane Ray?
Donte Fowler?
Amari Cooper?

If Mariota (or Winston) is there at #3 they should probably sell that pick to the highest bidder. What might the Eagles give up to put Mariota in Chip's offense?

I highly doubt they give up on Bortles this early. But I tell you what, they better build a good O Line in front of him, so he doesn't become David Carr 2.0. They have a lot of holes to fill, rumors are that they are looking to trade down to gather more picks. But if they stay at 3, IMO it's a must they draft Williams and then focus on OL in rounds 2 and 3.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#26 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:46 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Clearly most here have made up their minds on Winston vs. Mariota and no amount of debating on this forum will sway anyone.

I am really curious to see what the Jags do at #3. They basically need everything. It is too early to give up on Blake Bortles (although that day will soon come) so if not a QB, who are they crossing their fingers for at #3?

Leonard WIlliams?
Shane Ray?
Donte Fowler?
Amari Cooper?

If Mariota (or Winston) is there at #3 they should probably sell that pick to the highest bidder. What might the Eagles give up to put Mariota in Chip's offense?

I highly doubt they give up on Bortles this early. But I tell you what, they better build a good O Line in front of him, so he doesn't become David Carr 2.0. They have a lot of holes to fill, rumors are that they are looking to trade down to gather more picks. But if they stay at 3, IMO it's a must they draft Williams and then focus on OL in rounds 2 and 3.

Of course they aren't giving up on Bortles this summer. They can't. I was simply pointing out that I believe they will be in the market for a QB yet again in a season or two.

I do think trading down is best for them. Williams is #1 overall on many boards. If he is there at #3 simply because he isn't a QB that might be tough to pass on.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#27 » by OrlDave » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Leonard WIlliams?
Shane Ray?
Donte Fowler?
Amari Cooper?

Of course they aren't giving up on Bortles this summer. They can't. I was simply pointing out that I believe they will be in the market for a QB yet again in a season or two.

I do think trading down is best for them. Williams is #1 overall on many boards. If he is there at #3 simply because he isn't a QB that might be tough to pass on.

Why, because he had a rough rookie year? His line is literally the worst in the NFL. They had better spend the first 3 picks on OL.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#28 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:40 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Leonard WIlliams?
Shane Ray?
Donte Fowler?
Amari Cooper?

I highly doubt that too. Bortles has talent and is a good QB. Can't judge him off his rookie season behind a poor O Line.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#29 » by JaxMagic » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:15 pm

OrlDave wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Why, because he had a rough rookie year? His line is literally the worst in the NFL. They had better spend the first 3 picks on OL.

Highly doubt they draft an OLineman early. They will either go Williams, Fowler, or trade down. They will most likely sign a Free Agent RT and then possibly draft an interior guy in the mid rounds. Dave Caldwell seems to be content sticking with Joeckel, Beadles, Bowanko, and Linder. The line is young across the board, drafting another lineman wouldn't help immediately. Expect them to go after Bryan Bulaga big time in the FA.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#30 » by OrlDave » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 pm

JaxMagic wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Highly doubt they draft an OLineman early. They will either go Williams, Fowler, or trade down. They will most likely sign a Free Agent RT and then possibly draft an interior guy in the mid rounds. Dave Caldwell seems to be content sticking with Joeckel, Beadles, Bowanko, and Linder. The line is young across the board, drafting another lineman wouldn't help immediately. Expect them to go after Bryan Bulaga big time in the FA.

Thanks for the info!
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#31 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm

I didn't watch a single Jags game last year (why would anyone watch that!?). So no, I am not judging Bortles on his rookie season but rather his college career.

For the majory of the 2013-14 season that QB class was Bridgewater and no one else as first round talent. A bad pro-day and Teddy falls. The Jags were desperate for a QB and a way to sell tickets. Here comes the in state kid.

I'm sure we have a lot of UCF fans on here so I'll probably get attacked for this, but much like so many QBs before him, he is a case of a team falling in love with the intangibles and over projecting what he can do on the field. It happens. My own FSU Noles have seen recent examples of this in Ponder (brains and charm but no arm) and EJ (all the physical tools but horrible decision making).
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#32 » by OrlDave » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:10 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I didn't watch a single Jags game last year (why would anyone watch that!?). So no, I am not judging Bortles on his rookie season but rather his college career.

For the majory of the 2013-14 season that QB class was Bridgewater and no one else as first round talent. A bad pro-day and Teddy falls. The Jags were desperate for a QB and a way to sell tickets. Here comes the in state kid.

I'm sure we have a lot of UCF fans on here so I'll probably get attacked for this, but much like so many QBs before him, he is a case of a team falling in love with the intangibles and over projecting what he can do on the field. It happens. My own FSU Noles have seen recent examples of this in Ponder (brains and charm but no arm) and EJ (all the physical tools but horrible decision making).

Um no. He was in the conversation long before the pro day. They were glowing about him before the Fiesta Bowl. According to the link below they had been scouting him literally all year. So yeah...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/74 ... ke-bortles

Return to Orlando Magic