ImageImageImageImage

Oladipo's true ceiling

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Re: Oladipo's true ceiling 

Post#121 » by Baka_La Flame » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:54 am

I like the Iggy comps I wish Dipo was slightly taller so we could play him more at the 3 and bring in Russell but he's no doubt a combo guard. I like the EJ comps too. That dude was a beast but never really a star player. If we can get our guys to max out thier potential would a team of

Rondo
Iguadala/Ginobli
Marion/Brewer
Ewing/pmMelo
Pau/McGee

Win a ship? I'll let yall figure out the comps but I'll give you Ewing. I think Towns has a very similar skill set to Patrick with the inside outside ability and the rim protection. They're both good but not great athletes who play with a controlled fire. D.Russell reminds me of a mix between Ginobli and Curry
Okafor is a more athletic Al Jefferson Mudiay is a power guard in the same mold as Rose/Wall/Westbrook
FloridaHoosier
Starter
And1: 1,083

Post#122 » by FloridaHoosier » Thu Mar 5, 2015 3:39 pm

Consistently playing like he did last night against the Suns is his ceiling.
"Don't let the pressure exceed the pleasure." "Try not to suck."
"I don't vibrate at that frequency." ~ Joe Maddon
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Oladipo's true ceiling 

Post#123 » by silent1900 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:53 pm

FloridaHoosier wrote:Consistently playing like he did last night against the Suns is his ceiling.

Yes, last nights game made me rethink my stance on Dipo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#124 » by thelead » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:59 pm

It all depends on his jumper. That jumper will make or break his career.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#125 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:14 pm

:o
thelead wrote:It all depends on his jumper. That jumper will make or break his career.

That jumper is pretty.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#126 » by shadrock » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:22 pm

Comparisons aside, Ill say this. Oladipo can get to the hoop as well as any guard in the league. Im finding myself feeling really confident when he has the ball in his hands of late, and his finishing ability is really good now. His shooting stroke of late, especially from the FT line, makes me think he will become lethal from long range in time. His form is really good. Hes a high character, high energy, team first guy with great defense as well. Im struggling to think of a guy id prefer at the 2 guard spot without the obvious exceptions like Harden etc. The balance with Elf being the passer and him being the scorer is perfect, and it seems they are really developing some strong chemistry.

So yeah, I don't really care about comparing him. But I think he can be really really good. Multiple time all-star type guy.
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Oladipo's true ceiling 

Post#127 » by TNMagicFan » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:35 pm

Dipo will be a perennial all star , no doubt in my mind . I think he will progress into our go to guy . People on here give up on our players too fast

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#128 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:48 pm

He had a really good game, but it all depends on his jumper. He cant go through stretches of shooting 1-20 from three again. Our team needs dipo to be able to score.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#129 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:19 pm

thelead wrote:It all depends on his jumper. That jumper will make or break his career.

i'm confident he'll get it. he's reinvented his offensive game since coming into the league, playing on the ball a lot more. even his jumpers seem to be unassisted most of the time, as opposed to in college where he primarily played off the ball in a catch and shoot game.

i think we could do with using more catch and shoot plays for him to help him get into and maintain his flow. Payton's one of the best passers in the league, so Dipo should be running off multiple screens to get himself open looks and making the most of that. we haven't really seen that yet.

even if that doesn't happen, though, he'll continue to grow more and more comfortable taking jump shots off the dribble.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#130 » by KillMonger » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:24 pm

year 3 people.....year 3 i'm sure of it, dipo will make a leap
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#131 » by InFlames » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:30 pm

DWade
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#132 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:32 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:year 3 people.....year 3 i'm sure of it, dipo will make a leap

will it be enough to keep the ball out of Russell's hands, though? :wink:
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#133 » by tooler » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:41 am

I took a look at Oladipo's minutes and usage in his three 30-point games this season. I used the following formula for usage:

100*[(Team Minutes)/(5*(Player Minutes))]*[(FGA)+0.44*(FTA)+(TO)/[(Team FGA)+0.44*(Team FTA)+Team TO)]

CHI: 33 pts, 36 mins, 27.5 USG%
HOU: 32 pts, 39 mins, 26.9 USG%
PHX: 38 pts, 43 mins, 33.2 USG%

Obviously the extra minutes helped and he used a lot of the team's possessions. I still think Chicago or Houston were his best / most efficient games of the season. Hitting jumpers definitely helps.

Just for fun, Tobias's game against the Lakers: 34 pts, 45 mins (OT), 23.9 USG%

Hey, you don't need a lot of possessions to do good things when you're up against Ryan Kelly. ;) (Actually this was even lower at first because I forgot there were more team minutes due to OT.)
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#134 » by KillMonger » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:25 am

Bensational wrote:
Immature Luigi wrote:year 3 people.....year 3 i'm sure of it, dipo will make a leap

russell is a baller man............in college..... On the next level i need to see it to believe it for me personally because i've been wrong before saying a certain baller would hit in the NBA but didn't become the star i was adamant that he would.
thelead
RealGM

Post#135 » by thelead » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:29 am

eyriq wrote::o

That jumper is pretty.

It is pretty but when it becomes consistent, it will be pretty AND deadly.
thelead
RealGM

Post#136 » by thelead » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:32 am

Bensational wrote:

i'm confident he'll get it. he's reinvented his offensive game since coming into the league, playing on the ball a lot more. even his jumpers seem to be unassisted most of the time, as opposed to in college where he primarily played off the ball in a catch and shoot game.

i think we could do with using more catch and shoot plays for him to help him get into and maintain his flow. Payton's one of the best passers in the league, so Dipo should be running off multiple screens to get himself open looks and making the most of that. we haven't really seen that yet.

even if that doesn't happen, though, he'll continue to grow more and more comfortable taking jump shots off the dribble.

The jumper off the dribble (+ the other skills) is why I'm such a huge fan of Russell. If Dipo gets a reliable jumper, he'll be just as deadly. Russell is a much better playmaker but Dipo is a better slasher.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#137 » by ivDT » Fri Mar 6, 2015 3:25 am

everyone's talking about vic's jumper, but i'd like to see him become more creative attacking the basket and much better at drawing contact and finishing once he gets there.
thelead
RealGM

Post#138 » by thelead » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:05 am

ivDT wrote:everyone's talking about vic's jumper, but i'd like to see him become more creative attacking the basket and much better at drawing contact and finishing once he gets there.

With an improved/consistent jumper, his defenders will have to play him tighter, thus giving him better driving opportunities. That jumper is needed to expand the rest of his offensive game.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#139 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 5:06 am

Bensational wrote:

Yep, because we are going to draft Towns. :wink:
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#140 » by VoiceOReason » Sat Mar 7, 2015 2:51 am

Wow these last two games Vic has been getting to the rim a lot .....the foul calls will come because he seems to take quite a bit of contact at times...love watching the flashes of really good play...

Return to Orlando Magic