ImageImageImageImage

THE Aaron Gordon thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Re: THE Aaron Gordon thread 

Post#521 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
and again, 75% of nba players have elite athleticism. and right now, he is pretty useless offensively. Not Deandre Jordan useless, but he is all hustle points and dunks right now. he was our choice, i hope he develops more, i really do, but that is what i see from him right now.

75% of the league are as athletic as Aaron Gordon? Hey, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I could not disagree more.

maybe 50% as elite as AG. Doesnt make someone a great player.

Still way too high. And good thing that's not all he has going for him.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#522 » by KillMonger » Sat May 23, 2015 4:44 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
this is the nba, 75% of them have "elite athleticism". thats a major part of why they made it to the NBA. and project means he is a 1-way player right now.

No, not elite athleticism compared to you or me. Compared to his peers in the NBA. 1 way player suggests he's useless offensively and he certainly is not.

and again, 75% of nba players have elite athleticism. and right now, he is pretty useless offensively. Not Deandre Jordan useless, but he is all hustle points and dunks right now. he was our choice, i hope he develops more, i really do, but that is what i see from him right now.

That's an exaggeration, either way the combination of injuries and inept coaching really set him back in my eyes. I mean there were things they ran for Aaron at Arizona that definitely could have worked in the NBA but our coaching staff just couldn't put it together for whatever reason. He had a leash on him and anyone familiar with his skill set knows that he was leashed, he is capable of more than he showed this past season but whether it was his decision or orders from above him he kept it simple. Just wait and see, i think he'll be MUCH better next season i expect something similar to what Nerlens Noel has done. It isn't quite the same since Noel sat out his whole first season but he used that time to work on his game and it's paying off, i feel like AG doing work this early in the summer will pay off as well.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#523 » by eyriq » Sat May 23, 2015 5:00 pm

tiderulz wrote:
this is the nba, 75% of them have "elite athleticism". thats a major part of why they made it to the NBA. and project means he is a 1-way player right now.

By definition if 75% have "elite athleticism" then it isn't actually elite athleticism. By saying he is an elite athlete it means he is in the top 1% of athletes in the NBA.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#524 » by j-ragg » Sat May 23, 2015 5:09 pm

I'd say Gordon is one of the 5 best athletes in the NBA if were talking athlete as in quickness, speed, jumping ability.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#525 » by ezzzp » Sat May 23, 2015 5:12 pm

j-ragg wrote:It was definitely frustrating when we'd run plays for the other 14 guys on the team before we ran a play for Aaron. I know he's not quite "ready" but Wiggins wasn't ready when the year started either. Neither was Payton. You gotta let the young guys play, especially if we're getting a bottom 5 record.

he had a major injury that caused him to miss 3/4 of the season...that affected his ability to practice and integrate - something that is super important for rookies to adjust to the speed of the game, their role in the new system, the travel etc.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#526 » by Melvinlocker » Sat May 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Here are the average measurements and athletic testing results for the draft combine over the years:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... ft=0&sort=

Compare that to Gordon's combine measurements and athletic tests:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Gordon-6458/
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#527 » by Melvinlocker » Sat May 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm curious. What do you guys expect for Gordon to do next year?
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#528 » by VoiceOReason » Sat May 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:I'm curious. What do you guys expect for Gordon to do next year?

Refine his handles a little...speed up his release on his 3pt shot ...concentrate on hitting the offensive boards and defensive rotations...take the defensive task of the other teams best perimeter scoring option or the other teams athletic big depending on matchups...

Numbers wise I could see:

11ppg 6-7 rebs and 1-2 assists and 1 or so steals.... A real glue guy
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#529 » by Melvinlocker » Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm

VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:I'm curious. What do you guys expect for Gordon to do next year?

Refine his handles a little...speed up his release on his 3pt shot ...concentrate on hitting the offensive boards and defensive rotations...take the defensive task of the other teams best perimeter scoring option or the other teams athletic big depending on matchups...

That's a very optimistic view. You know Shawn Marion averaged very similar numbers playing 25 minutes a game as a 21 year old rookie.

I'd love to see it though!
VoiceOReason
Sophomore

Post#530 » by VoiceOReason » Sat May 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:

That's a very optimistic view. You know Shawn Marion averaged very similar numbers playing 25 minutes a game as a 21 year old rookie.

Optimistic? I thought it was fairly realistic expectations...I could see him getting right at 25 mins Like Marion did that year... I see a lot of marions game in Gordon..... What do you see him doing?
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#531 » by ivDT » Sat May 23, 2015 6:20 pm

the way some people in this thread are talking, aaron probably should've went undrafted.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#532 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:21 pm

VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:

Optimistic? I thought it was fairly realistic expectations...I could see him getting right at 25 mins Like Marion did that year... I see a lot of marions game in Gordon..... What do you see him doing?

I think those were very realistic expectations.

I could see the numbers moving more towards 14 ppg, 9 reb towards the end of the season if he stays completely healthy.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#533 » by Melvinlocker » Sat May 23, 2015 6:27 pm

VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. Just saying that is probably the high end for my expectations for next year. I'm thinking he'll be around 8 and 5 next year. Blocks and steals are hard to project, but I think he'll have a better rate next season. I think he can become that glue guy next year who moves the ball on offense, gets easy buckets and defends the heck out of the opposition.

I think he'll be about a 33% 3pt shooter on low attempts and will get to the line more often than he did this past season.

I will say I have very high expectations for him long term though. I think he could be Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace esque if he improves like i think he will. He has the raw talent, BBIQ and base skill set to be a highly productive forward. He has a long road to achieve those heights though.
VoiceOReason
Sophomore

Post#534 » by VoiceOReason » Sat May 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. Just saying that is probably the high end for my expectations for next year. I'm thinking he'll be around 8 and 5 next year. Blocks and steals are hard to project, but I think he'll have a better rate next season. I think he can become that glue guy next year who moves the ball on offense, gets easy buckets and defends the heck out of the opposition.

I think he'll be about a 33% 3pt shooter on low attempts and will get to the line more often than he did this past season.

I will say I have very high expectations for him long term though. I think he could be Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace esque if he improves like i think he will. He has the raw talent, BBIQ and base skill set to be a highly productive forward. He has a long road to achieve those heights though.

I'm with ya...I do see that kind of development long-term as well... Maybe not the raw scoring of Marion but type of game ... He going to turn out as a very high end glue guy...I love his attitude and his game
VoiceOReason
Sophomore

Post#535 » by VoiceOReason » Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
I think those were very realistic expectations.

I could see the numbers moving more towards 14 ppg, 9 reb towards the end of the season if he stays completely healthy.

My thing is I don't know that with the way this team is heading and with some vet signings this off-season if big numbers will be coming from anyone... So I just hope for a deep team that plays like one
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#536 » by Melvinlocker » Sat May 23, 2015 7:08 pm

VoiceOReason wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
VoiceOReason wrote:

I'm with ya...I do see that kind of development long-term as well... Maybe not the raw scoring of Marion but type of game ... He going to turn out as a very high end glue guy...I love his attitude and his game

I think you and I agree more or less on the end result. He is gonna be a high impact, 2 way player in 2 or 3 years.

As far as scoring goes, I think he could maintain Marion's scoring rate, but he will never match it in real game time because I doubt he will ever average more than 35 minutes a game with all the new studies coming out about resting players.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,187

Re: Re: THE Aaron Gordon thread 

Post#537 » by cedric76 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:27 pm

ivDT wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:I still don't know why people don't realise we barely even gave him a chance to do anything last season. I feel like I saw more Aaron Gordon in the 5 or 6 college games I watched than I did all of last season. He played 59 total minutes more than Jabari Parker last season. Jabari Parker had a season ending injury in the middle of December. Just think about that for a minute. And when he was on the court we didn't use him anyway. Oh yeah, and he was the 2nd youngest player in the NBA being coached by arguably the worst coaches in the league. I don't know what people expect.

more from a #4 pick. having the skills which would basically demand that he was used more when on the court.

not saying coaching didnt play into it. but this much of a project shouldnt be drafted that high. but then, teams always want to draft a player on perceived potential. which to me, is around a more athletic version of Nic Batum

i forget. who was it that everyone wanted us to draft instead of aaron again?

Lol exactly
I love the AG pick
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#538 » by seeingstars » Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:I still don't know why people don't realise we barely even gave him a chance to do anything last season. I feel like I saw more Aaron Gordon in the 5 or 6 college games I watched than I did all of last season. He played 59 total minutes more than Jabari Parker last season. Jabari Parker had a season ending injury in the middle of December. Just think about that for a minute. And when he was on the court we didn't use him anyway. Oh yeah, and he was the 2nd youngest player in the NBA being coached by arguably the worst coaches in the league. I don't know what people expect.

I can't find a hands clapping emoticon but mine are :)
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#539 » by Malik Starks » Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 pm

My problem is that he really doesn't yet know who he is as a player, which can only be remedied through extensive playing time to work through his mistakes.

So long as Harris is on the roster I don't see that happening, and it will be made even worse if we pick up a PF in the draft where he could have potentially stolen some minutes there.

I've seen the projections some have made to Leonard, Marion and Draymond Green. I have to say I disagree with all of them for slightly different reasons:

Kawhi did also play PF in college but it was always clear from looking at his lanky frame that he would be a SF at the NBA level. Also while his skill-set was similarly raw (perhaps more so) he was basically thrown onto the court as starter from day one, allowing him to refine his game whilst working through his mistakes.

Marion was also tweener but he was also much more refined offensively coming in. He was a better shooter and basically an elite scorer by his second year. Granted he was two years older than Gordon as a rookie, but he displayed these abilities even in college. Tobias is actually much closer to Marion when you really watch them, with Marion being the slighty better athlete.

Finally, Green was a four year starter in college who knew exactly who he was as a player coming in. He was and is essentially an undersized (garbage-pail type) PF. The tweener label was due only to the undersized part. Green obviously didn't start his rookie year, but my point is he didn't need a lot of development as his game was already defined.

Bottom line, I do believe it's possible to turn an athlete into a ball player (which is what it will take) Kawhi is proof of it, but it will be difficult when another player, who is also considered "the future" is already ahead of you on the depth chart. This is an odd situation considering he was the #4 pick.
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#540 » by seeingstars » Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 am

Aaron Gordon is a ball player. He's played basketball his entire life. Saying we could turn him into a basketball player seems erroneous seeing as that is what he has been for most of his life. Again, let's see some actual playing time and a coach who knows what he's doing before we write off Aaron as very in shoes and nothing more.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’

Return to Orlando Magic