ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Regular Season Wind Down Edition'14-'15)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Re: Re: Re: Official Speculation Thread (Regular Season Wind Down Edition'14-'15) 

Post#1881 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:27 pm

drsd wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:I project that we will end up with their pic in 2018 in the randle of 13-17.

The current timeline is with an expectation that Orlando will be Championship contenders in 2018. This will be a great pick as it adds a bench player with a high talent level.

Agreed. Regardless of where we are at in 2018...it is always nice having a little extra flexibility and another asset to make something happen. Whether it is to reboot or add another tool, I think we will get great value from it.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Regular Season Wind Down Edition'14-'15) 

Post#1882 » by rcklsscognition » Sat May 23, 2015 2:40 pm

The problem is that everyone expects amazing two-way players at every position while in reality that never happens anywhere. You have a team for a reason, and part of this game is putting together one that works together to enhance each other's positive qualities and cover up the negative ones.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#1883 » by tiderulz » Sat May 23, 2015 3:10 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:The problem is that everyone expects amazing two-way players at every position while in reality that never happens anywhere. You have a team for a reason, and part of this game is putting together one that works together to enhance each other's positive qualities and cover up the negative ones.

yep, though that is where the team is failing to be put together in my opinion. hopefully hennigan is addressing that this off season
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#1884 » by T-Cat » Sat May 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Hennigan should do this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mu597lg

Orlando also sends 2016 1st rd pick to Houston
and Houston sends 2015 1st rd pick to Denver.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1885 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:46 pm

T-Cat wrote:Hennigan should do this trade:

Green font?
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1886 » by ezzzp » Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:The problem is that everyone expects amazing two-way players at every position while in reality that never happens anywhere. You have a team for a reason, and part of this game is putting together one that works together to enhance each other's positive qualities and cover up the negative ones.

yep, though that is where the team is failing to be put together in my opinion. hopefully hennigan is addressing that this off season

How is it failing to be put together? This is a ground up rebuild utilizing the draft - RH is working with mostly very young players whose skill sets are not formed. Nobody knows for sure wether a particular skill set will develop or not ...or how far it will develop.

RH is doing exactly what he should be doing, stocking the roster with best "potential" - and as that talent develops and their key skill sets become clear - he'll adjusts the roster...not the other way around. This isn't a situation where we have a clear budding franchise player / superstar like Anthony Davis or Dwight Howard and build around that.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1887 » by tiderulz » Sat May 23, 2015 5:27 pm

ezzzp wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

How is it failing to be put together? This is a ground up rebuild utilizing the draft - RH is working with mostly very young players whose skill sets are not formed. Nobody knows for sure wether a particular skill set will develop or not ...or how far it will develop.

RH is doing exactly what he should be doing, stocking the roster with best "potential" - and as that talent develops and their key skill sets become clear - he'll adjusts the roster...not the other way around. This isn't a situation where we have a clear budding franchise player / superstar like Anthony Davis or Dwight Howard and build around that.

no post defense. little back court shooting. bad bench. are those things not obvious?
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Re: Re: Official Speculation Thread (Regular Season Wind Down Edition'14-'15) 

Post#1888 » by Howard Mass » Sat May 23, 2015 6:17 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I feel Aaron Gordon is Orlando's version of Draymond Green. Golden State will probably match any offer anyway.

100% agree with u
But u still have to make him an offer

I would still pass and go after someone else.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1889 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:18 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

no post defense. little back court shooting. bad bench. are those things not obvious?

I believe that up to this point, Hennigan's strategy has purely been acquire the best assets possible. 100% BPA approach. Fit has not been a concern. Load up on talent and develop what you can. That was phase one.

I am a strong believer that we enter phase two this summer...the true team construction. You start by getting a somewhat proven and established head coach. Whether it be Skiles or Thibs, they have a track record and system. Our draft pick will likely be BPA but I would argue that the top two BPA at the 5 spot are great fits, as well.

As I said in another thread, the timing is right when it comes to spending money in FA. There are some solid options out there that could help this team substantially and also fit right in. It will be tough to convince proven guys to come here but I think we make some waves in FA. 3 Year Max deals will be the trend this summer and that times out perfectly with what we already have on the books.

Splurge now. Give Tobias a 3 year max, Millsap the same. Over pay to bring Danny Green in for three years (not a max, though). You have a great young team. See if they blossom. If they don't, blow it up and start over with whatever pieces you deem worthy.

Once those new deals run out, all we will be locked in to is Vuc (who would be an attractive expiring contract), Dipo (if we have kept him around past his RFA), and cap holds on Elf & Gordon as they enter RFA.

Splurge now on 3 year deals.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#1890 » by Viper1500 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Detroit fans have said countless times, Monroe is a C. So I don't see Orlando exploring that route
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1891 » by ezzzp » Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

1 year ago Harris was a sub par 3pt shooter, now he is a good 3pt shooter and was elite (high 40%'s) from the corner. There is nothing to indicate that he'll regress. 1 year ago Oladipo looked like he would never be an offensive weapon, this year he looked like he very well can be if he is more efficient. We don't yet know about Payton - but he definitely improved as the season went along.

Last season this team was ravaged by injuries that is why the bench was bad. Do you really think Willie Green was picked up off waivers to be one of the most used bench players? Gordon missed 3/4's of the season, Oladipo missed training camp and the first month, Fournier missed 1/4 of the season, Frye missed the first month, etc. There was always at minimum one hurt starter and/or key back up.

Post defense was not as huge of an issue with O'Quinn and Davis at PF the year before, it was only this season that it showed to be a true need - that will be addressed.

Adding a true back up PG will make a huge difference, taking Oladipo off the ball to where he is most efficient and allowing him to spend less energy and refocus it to defense.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1892 » by ezzzp » Sat May 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I feel Aaron Gordon is Orlando's version of Draymond Green. Golden State will probably match any offer anyway.

100% agree with u

I agree, that's a wasted attempt and signals to other players that they weren't the Magic's first choice - ego's matter.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1893 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

100% agree with u

How do you feel about the prospect of luring Millsap here?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1894 » by tiderulz » Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:How do you feel about the prospect of luring Millsap here?

i like Millsap, but he isnt going to provide the post defense that we need. And he is definitely hurting his value this post season
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1895 » by j-ragg » Sat May 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

100% agree with u

I think Danny Green would help fill a role more, but I can't see the Spurs letting him go. I'd make a lucrative offer at him though if I were Rob.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1896 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:42 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
100% agree with u

I think Danny Green would help fill a role more, but I can't see the Spurs letting him go. I'd make a lucrative offer at him though if I were Rob.

Do you really think they'll be able to hold on to Green? They'll have their initial focus on Leonard and Duncan. They'll give Leonard a max and get Duncan at a discount...but he will still be costly. Let's say he signs a Dirk-like deal for 8 mill...that puts the Spurs at 56 million. If they bring back Green, there is no more flexibility there. They retain their guys but don't improve. I would think that they let Green walk and try and orchestrate a bigger acquisition...so they can actually compete again.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#1897 » by Howard Mass » Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 pm

ezzzp wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
100% agree with u

I agree, that's a wasted attempt and signals to other players that they weren't the Magic's first choice - ego's matter.

And it ties up their money for up to 3 days.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#1898 » by Nemesis21 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:06 am

T-Cat wrote:Hennigan should do this trade:

mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#1899 » by mr2good » Sun May 24, 2015 4:23 am

Neon1 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I'd take Faried, but I sure wouldn't trade the #5 pick for him.

Because Cauley Stein, Winslow, Porzingis and these other run of the mill players are so much better the Kenneth Faried? Good luck with that.

Yall overrate the hell out of rookies man. The odds of us picking the guy that's going to be better then Faried are extremely low.

Not true at all. VO and Elf are definitely on their way to being better than Faried and both are younger. AG is still up in the air. I trust henni will get a player at 5. People fall past 5 every year! They won't slip by Henni.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Post#1900 » by axl_c_cool » Mon May 25, 2015 2:09 am

Hello everyone,

Hypothetical question, if Towns is on the board at #2 would you consider trading Vucevic for him? or would it have to be Vucevic for Julius Randle and #2? I'm not saying this happens, its a hypothetical that I'm asking because the Los Angeles Lakers said they can't slow build through the draft. I'm not saying they would do it or it's realistic, just a question?
FORMALLY LC MAGIC

Return to Orlando Magic