ImageImageImageImage

Next years team?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magickingdom
Rookie
And1: 84

Next years team? 

Post#1 » by magickingdom » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:16 pm

So I wanted to get all your feeling about next years team?
To me it seems that KOQ has become expendable, being last night they had foul trouble with their bigs and he still did not get to play.
It seems that Green, B. Borden,, maybe Luke will be replaced? I read that Luke says he might retire?
Do they give Mo and AN more time to develop with another coach?
So if at the very least the above 4 are replaced with some younger vets that can shoot the ball to fortify our bench.
Do you see it this way? Do you see any other than these 4 staying or any others leaving?
It seems to me that just a few changes to get some younger vets and we should have a team that can start to make some noise?
Well depending on what we do with our coaching situation???
What do you guys think???
"Welcome to the MAGIC's KINGDOM !"
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Next years team? 

Post#2 » by Max Power » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Honestly, I'd like to keep O'Quinn and . There both going to be good big men in the league, so you can't have enough quality bigs. KOQ not getting run right now under Borrego is a travesty.

I'm fairly indifferent towards Ben Gordon and Willie Green. Both have had decent moments. As for Ridnomu

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Re: Next years team? 

Post#3 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Obviously we need a longterm solution at power forward, I think we keep both Dedmon and Kyle (assets) and use them and possibly Tobias in a trade before next season's deadline for a seasoned legit PF- just my opinion as I don't see any viable PF free agents (Maybe Milsap but age?) There is always the draft but if we end up with 5-8 pick I'm not in love with the big men in that range.

Second most pressing need is backup PG, regardless if Luke retires or not. Jameer will be a free agent, at this stage in his career maybe he will be more willing to come off the bench? Mo Williams and Norris cole aren't bad options as well.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#4 » by drsd » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Beast_Reality wrote:Obviously we need a longterm solution at power forward ....

To me this sums up almost everything. Clearly Harris has been moved out of the PF slot, so either Orlando sees Gordon-A developing his body to play starting PF, or Harris is shipped for a new starting PF (with Gordon-A either being the new starting SF, or a bench combo-forward).

Actually this is not so much work for GM Hennigan. Three starting slots are taken next year. Resolving the SF and PF slots starts at the PF. If Frye becomes one of the highest paid bench players in the NBA, so be it.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,232

Post#5 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Dewayne Dedmon, and Nikola Vucevic are five roster spots I'm very confident will remain the same. We picked up the options on Fournier, Nicholson and Harkless. Harris and O'Quinn I'm also not sure about, I think it will depend on who we pursue in free agency. Our top pick will also be a lock. So I see nine roster spots taken with the other six open to opportunity. I would also like to think that eight of those players that I mentioned would be in the rotation, so really only two rotation spots are up for grabs.

Edited since we've already picked up those options.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:40 pm

The '15-'16 options for Fournier, Harkless, and Nicholson were picked up back in October. If they don't fit in with the new coaching staff, they become very nice trade pieces.

If O'Quinn gets offered more than $5 million per season, I'm pretty certain the Magic let him walk. Dedmon has made Kyle (great passing for a big man or not) very expendable.

I have no idea what Tobias will get offered on the open market. He hasn't really helped his stock in the past few months.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#7 » by BCS » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

As far as I know O'quinn is not a RFA, so why would he stay? I believe he is actually valued among the league, so he is going to get paid well wherever he ends up. Are we willing to pay more because I believe that is the only chance to keep him. If I'm KOQ though I value playing time a lil bit more at this point in his career which he is not getting here.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#8 » by Versubio » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:14 pm

BCS wrote:As far as I know O'quinn is not a RFA, so why would he stay? I believe he is actually valued among the league, so he is going to get paid well wherever he ends up. Are we willing to pay more because I believe that is the only chance to keep him. If I'm KOQ though I value playing time a lil bit more at this point in his career which he is not getting here.

Some sites have him as a RFA in 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/kyle-oquinn/
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#9 » by BCS » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 pm

Versubio wrote:
BCS wrote:As far as I know O'quinn is not a RFA, so why would he stay? I believe he is actually valued among the league, so he is going to get paid well wherever he ends up. Are we willing to pay more because I believe that is the only chance to keep him. If I'm KOQ though I value playing time a lil bit more at this point in his career which he is not getting here.

Some sites have him as a RFA in 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/kyle-oquinn/

You are correct, but yea if we do match at a reasonable contract I will most likely still trade down the road. He just lost his spot in our rotation and it will be hard for him to earn it back.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#10 » by woosah » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Beast_Reality wrote:Obviously we need a longterm solution at power forward, I think we keep both Dedmon and Kyle (assets) and use them and possibly Tobias in a trade before next season's deadline for a seasoned legit PF- just my opinion as I don't see any viable PF free agents (Maybe Milsap but age?) There is always the draft but if we end up with 5-8 pick I'm not in love with the big men in that range.

Second most pressing need is backup PG, regardless if Luke retires or not. Jameer will be a free agent, at this stage in his career maybe he will be more willing to come off the bench? Mo Williams and Norris cole aren't bad options as well.

So you think they will all go into next season and then we will make decisions? I don't know what to think about Tobias. He seems to be playing his way into a 3rd option slot, and do we pay a 3rd option anything he is offered and deal him later? The fit is not the best also. We don't know, he may want to sign a one year deal too, and try to play his way into a major deal that next year when the cap explodes. We do need a defensive pf though, and to shed the vets and get better ones. How we will do that idk, and i don't even like to guess because the FO always does something no one ever calls lol. I would rather wait and see.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:43 pm

I hope next year's team looks like,

Elf/ C Watson
Vic/Fournier
D Green/AG
Towns/Nicholson
Vooch/Dedmon

Plus some other fill ins.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Next years team? 

Post#12 » by Max Power » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:47 pm

I think keeping O'Quinn and Dedmon should be a goal for the Magic, but I agree in that only if it's cost effective. You can never have enough quality big guys.

Tobias is tricky. I like him a lot and would love to keep him. I also know we desperately need a real power forward. I could see him being signed and traded in a move designed to find one. It's a lot easier to find a small forward of Tobias' caliber than a quality power forward. In that scenario I see the Magic drafting the best sf available with their pick. I personally hope we keep T.H though.

I'm pretty indifferent on Fournier, Frye B. Gordon and Willie Green. They can stay or go. Aaron Gordon I'm not sold on as an NBA starter yet, another reason Tobias' situation is so difficult. I dont think Gordon ever gets on Tobias' level on offense.

As for the rest, they can all go. Ridnour, and Nicholson are practically mannequins, and Harkless has no fire in his gut, like Nicholson. Replace those 3 with vets who have some vocal leadership abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,417

Post#13 » by UCFJayBird » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:20 pm

PG: Starter - Payton 100%. Backup? Free Agent. The Magic need to find a backup PG who can distribute the ball and create for his teammates. Let Ridnour retire or go elsewhere.

SG: Starter - Oladipo 100%. Fournier - Backup. Willie Green may be back, but I expect Ben Gordon to find a new home. Marble will probably be back and may be the 3rd string.

SF: Starter - Harris, 50%. Backup - Aaron Gordon. 50/50 chance Orlando resigns Harris. With the salary cap set to expand drastically, we may even be willing to overpay for him, as he'll be seen as less expensive in another year or two. By that time, if Gordon has improved enough to be the player we hope he will be, I could see Orlando trading Harris. But I think Harris is too good right now for us to let go. Could see Harkless traded on draft night or in a sign and trade.

PF - Starter - Free Agent / Draft. Backup - Frye / Free Agent / Draft. I think O'Quinn signs elsewhere, which the Magic might match if reasonable. I see Nicholson being moved on draft night or in a sign and trade. Could also maybe see Frye being used as salary fodder in a sign and trade. but probably coming back.

C - Starter - Vucevic 100%. Backup - Dedmon / Free Agent / Draft.

So coming back next year: Payton, Oladipo, Fournier, Green, Harris, Gordon, Vucevic, Dedmon, Marble, Frye
Possibles: Nicholson, Harkless, O'Quinn
Leaving: Ben Gordon, Ridnour

So 2-5 players changing IMO. I'd say we need to address PF/C in the draft, as well as PF/C in free agency and backup PG in free agency as well (not in the draft unless it's a BPA pick).
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#14 » by purpleswordfish » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:46 pm

I'm looking forward to the draft and the lottery announcement before that. I'm really hoping that the Magic sneak into the first few slots and have an opportunity to take the best player available. I know a lot of people are dead set on drafting on need, but I think the Magic should take the best player regardless of position. Based off of this information (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm), I think the Magic do the following with the current roster:

- Decline the team option on Ben Gordon's contract.
- Let 4th quarter Willie walk.
- Pick up team options on Marble and Dedmon (no brainers in my mind).
- Cautiously try to keep KOQ.
- I have no idea what to think about Tobias Harris. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

I also think that the Magic will look to free agency and trades to possibly improve the team. I'm hopeful, but I also realize that Hennigan will more than likely build another 20-29 win roster.
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#15 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:46 pm

woosah wrote:
Beast_Reality wrote:Obviously we need a longterm solution at power forward, I think we keep both Dedmon and Kyle (assets) and use them and possibly Tobias in a trade before next season's deadline for a seasoned legit PF- just my opinion as I don't see any viable PF free agents (Maybe Milsap but age?) There is always the draft but if we end up with 5-8 pick I'm not in love with the big men in that range.

So you think they will all go into next season and then we will make decisions? I don't know what to think about Tobias. He seems to be playing his way into a 3rd option slot, and do we pay a 3rd option anything he is offered and deal him later? The fit is not the best also. We don't know, he may want to sign a one year deal too, and try to play his way into a major deal that next year when the cap explodes. We do need a defensive pf though, and to shed the vets and get better ones. How we will do that idk, and i don't even like to guess because the FO always does something no one ever calls lol. I would rather wait and see.

I think we should match Tobias and use him at the next deadline for a legit PF. This team has fit issues, we ply better when 1 of our starters is out, it's obvious. Oladipo is a 2 way player, Vuc is on a very friendly contract, Harris is the odd man out imo. The good news is we have plenty of assets to make a lateral move towards a better fitting team.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#16 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 am

Payton
Russell
D. Green or DeMarre Carroll or Dunleavy
Gordon / Myles Turner or WCS.
Vucevic

I know I'm going to get killed for not having Oladipo here, but his defense has dropped off, he's become way too ball dominant (although, he's been better since he's been a 2 guard), and I don't think his jumper will ever be consistent.

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick + another asset. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

Most importantly though, this team has to revolve around Payton. Surround Payton with knock down shooters and some great defensive pieces, and this will be a contending team in no time.

OR

Payton
Oladipo
Gordon
KAT
WCS

KAT and WCS have been doing some great things together. Of course, parting with Vucevic would be hard and we'd have to get more than a draft pick for him. Although, this team doesn't have very good spacing, and I prefer the first one.

This is fun.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#17 » by woosah » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:17 am

MellowRose wrote:Payton
Russell
Vucevic

I know I'm going to get killed for not having Oladipo here, but his defense has dropped off, he's become way too ball dominant (although, he's been better since he's been a 2 guard), and I don't think his jumper will ever be consistent.

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

Most importantly though, this team has to revolve around Payton. Surround Payton with knock down shooters and some great defensive pieces, and this will be a contending team in no time.

Wow Mellow.
So what did you do with Tobias in your scenario?

How can you talk about Dipo's defense and all and then have Dunleavy as one of your possible gets?

You want Dunleavy but no Tobes or Dipo because of defense? nsis

I love Gordon and Payton but they are not ready to be the team next year and i am really surprised at your wanting to build around Payton while slighting Dipo for his offense. You aren't sure Dipo will ever have a good jumper but Payton you are sure of? I know, your plan is to bring in shooters so he won't have to and he can average 18 assists but Dipo is miles ahead of Payton on shooting so it just sounds contradictory to me.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#18 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:22 am

Russell
Vucevic

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick + another asset. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

OR

Payton
Oladipo
Gordon
KAT
WCS

KAT and WCS have been doing some great things together. Of course, parting with Vucevic would be hard and we'd have to get more than a draft pick for him. Although, this team doesn't have very good spacing, and I prefer the first one.

This is fun.

Your hate for Oladipo is mind blowing. :noway:
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#19 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:23 am

woosah wrote:
Russell
Vucevic

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

Wow Mellow.
So what did you do with Tobias in your scenario?

How can you talk about Dipo's defense and all and then have Dunleavy as one of your possible gets?

You want Dunleavy but no Tobes or Dipo because of defense? nsis

I love Gordon and Payton but they are not ready to be the team next year and i am really surprised at your wanting to build around Payton while slighting Dipo for his offense. You aren't sure Dipo will ever have a good jumper but Payton you are sure of? I know, your plan is to bring in shooters so he won't have to and he can average 18 assists but Dipo is miles ahead of Payton on shooting so it just sounds contradictory to me.

No idea about Tobias. Don't want to let him walk, so I guess signing him would be best, and then dumping him later.

Dunleavy would be a last resort, but he's someone we need, especially with the floor spacing he's capable of.

Oladipo will never be as good a floor general as Payton, and offensively, Oladipo isn't someone you can build around, IMO. Can you build around a pass first PG? Sure. Payton's defense this season has been far superior to Oladipo's. As for offense, Oladipo has been better at the rim, but don't you remember Oladipo's FG at the rim last season? It was terrible.

I'm willing to bet that Payton has a dramatic FG% increase next season, and his FT shooting will be better as well. As for his jumpshot, he'll never be a consistent threat, which is okay since he does so many other things.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#20 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:23 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
Russell
Vucevic

OR

Payton
Oladipo
Gordon
KAT
WCS

This is fun.

Your hate for Oladipo is mind blowing. :noway:

Explain to me why I have Oladipo in my avatar then.

Return to Orlando Magic