ImageImageImageImage

FA target for the Magic this summer

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Re: FA target for the Magic this summer 

Post#61 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

Why would Vuc feel that way just because we offered someone else more money. It happens and if Vuc wanted more money than he should have demanded it more. I don't view that as much of a problem if one at all. And of course I never said they can just throw around offer sheets. But they only have cap implications if signed and then if the other team matches those cap implications disappear and we can move on. The first and pretty much only guy I am looking at is Middleton. I like Green and Leonard but not sure they fit what we need as we need shooting plus D and Middleton is a better shooter than those two. So on the outset of free agency I make an offer sheet to Middleton and also call Jordan.

If Vuc is mad then so what. It is a business. Vuc is good but I like Jordan a lot more and if you think these guys are going to be expensive wait till next year when these guys deals will go a lot higher, so in actuality these deals very well could be bargains. And we have the cap space to do a lot. I am not saying it is likely we land Jordan and Middleton but I would at least try. Then if not I move on to guys like Green, Ed Davis, Patrick Beverly and Demare Carroll. I am not considering the aging and more expensive guys that much. I am not big on Milsap and guys like Aldridge are definitely not going to have us on their radar.

Ok, you are envisioning Vuc and Jordan playing together - that makes more sense. My comment was based on Jordan pushing Vuc to a back up role (or trading block). I actually like the idea of them playing together, not sure if it will work (but it kind of works with Dedmond who is similar).

Im pretty sure an offer sheet is a signed contract that has to fit within the cap space and puts a cap hold on that amount until it is matched or not. This prevents teams from putting out multiple offer sheets that they have no intention of honoring as a disruptive strategy.

Uh no I do not envision them playing together. They are both pure centers as I don't think either can effectively play the PF spot. If we sign Jordan then I would look to trade Vuc. In the meantime if we can't trade Vuc right away I think Vuc backs up Jordan which isn't ideal but I think Vuc has enough trade value that a deal could be had at least by the trade deadline next year. Its a business and we can't worry too much about player's feelings as we need to get better. With the cap going up next year this is a prime time to get guys on what would be bargain deals going forward. We have the cap space and I have opened up to going hard after the best players out there because of that. Though I am not interested in the older guys like Milsap as I don't want guys nearing the end of their careers and not be as effective going forward.

Why would Jordan even bother signing with us? He's going to get multiple max offers, why would he pick Orlando over any other team like either LA team or New York if the money is the same?
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#62 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
Ok, you are envisioning Vuc and Jordan playing together - that makes more sense. My comment was based on Jordan pushing Vuc to a back up role (or trading block). I actually like the idea of them playing together, not sure if it will work (but it kind of works with Dedmond who is similar).

Im pretty sure an offer sheet is a signed contract that has to fit within the cap space and puts a cap hold on that amount until it is matched or not. This prevents teams from putting out multiple offer sheets that they have no intention of honoring as a disruptive strategy.

Uh no I do not envision them playing together. They are both pure centers as I don't think either can effectively play the PF spot. If we sign Jordan then I would look to trade Vuc. In the meantime if we can't trade Vuc right away I think Vuc backs up Jordan which isn't ideal but I think Vuc has enough trade value that a deal could be had at least by the trade deadline next year. Its a business and we can't worry too much about player's feelings as we need to get better. With the cap going up next year this is a prime time to get guys on what would be bargain deals going forward. We have the cap space and I have opened up to going hard after the best players out there because of that. Though I am not interested in the older guys like Milsap as I don't want guys nearing the end of their careers and not be as effective going forward.

Why would Jordan even bother signing with us? He's going to get multiple max offers, why would he pick Orlando over any other team like either LA team or New York if the money is the same?

Never said he would. But I would still try. I think you should always try and get the best you can. It doesn't hurt to try and go after the better guys. If not then we move on but we have gotten guys like Grant Hill and TMac to join us when we aren't that good. We do have an advantage in Florida in that their is no state income tax. And if we can pair Jordan with another good player and with young talent and a high draft pick and who knows maybe we can land Thibs then maybe we do have a legitimate chance. But I think Henny would be not doing his job if he doesn't at least investigate what he can do to make this team better.

And as for the teams you mentioned NY very well might be a better oportunity. The Lakers though would be a questionable choice as they don't have room for two max vets and don't have the young talent we have. They also a big question with Bryant and how good he will be and it is possible they could even lose their first round pick this year. They are a mess and I am not sure they are high on anyone's list right now. As for the Clippers maybe Jordan wants to get out of the shadows of Paul and Griffin. Maybe maybe not but again I think we should at least investigate the situation.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#63 » by NBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Anyone who thinks going into next season with a re-signed Harris, player growth, and our pick and somehow magically will make the playoffs is crazy. This team is barley better than NY & LA, who will most likely be spending a lot of money this off season, Philly will improve with the addition of Embidd and a healthy Minnesota makes Orlando arguably the worst team in the NBA. I can't see Orlando being better than any team out there except maybe Sacramento and Philly assuming they don't make a splash in free agency.

Color me crazy. I think its pretty clear that with decent coaching and a year more of experience this team should certainly make the playoffs.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#64 » by Def Swami » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:53 pm

NBlue wrote:
Viper1500 wrote:Anyone who thinks going into next season with a re-signed Harris, player growth, and our pick and somehow magically will make the playoffs is crazy. This team is barley better than NY & LA, who will most likely be spending a lot of money this off season, Philly will improve with the addition of Embidd and a healthy Minnesota makes Orlando arguably the worst team in the NBA. I can't see Orlando being better than any team out there except maybe Sacramento and Philly assuming they don't make a splash in free agency.

Color me crazy. I think its pretty clear that with decent coaching and a year more of experience this team should certainly make the playoffs.

Boston, Indiana, Charlotte, Brooklyn aren't that much more talented, but are competing in the East. A good coach would have gotten more out of this team this year.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#65 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Jordan, out of shadows of CP3 and Doc, is 8/8 guy.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach

Post#66 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Def Swami wrote:
NBlue wrote:

Boston, Indiana, Charlotte, Brooklyn aren't that much more talented, but are competing in the East. A good coach would have gotten more out of this team this year.

I agree. I want to see the core of guys we have now play under a legit coach for a season or two before I start thinking about making any major changes to the roster.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#67 » by tiderulz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:28 pm

ralphie9898 wrote: We do have an advantage in Florida in that their is no state income tax.

overblown. you pay taxes in the state that you work (ie play games). yes, it would save a little money, but not as much as people make it out to be,
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#68 » by Viper1500 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 pm

nicnac215 wrote:

Assuming no major injuries, you are out of your mind with your visions. Arguably the worst in the league? You must only look at the win/loss and not how the team plays. Get a legitimate coach and a few savvy veterans and you have a serious up and coming team. The Magic are trending upward. I, like many others think we should target Beverly this off season unless we draft Mudiay or Russell. Beverly could teach a lot of things to Elf that can really make him a defensive gem. Get this negative thinking out of here.

Lol the Magic are trending upward? This team has played worse since the beginning of the season, I'd hate to see what downwards looks like. You were probably apart of the same cast during the off season who said the Magic will definitely make the playoffs this year. I hope you realize that every other team in the east besides Brooklyn(Age/no cap space) will also be getting better due to player development.
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Viper1500 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 pm

NBlue wrote:

How is this clear?? Please tell me.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach

Post#70 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Viper1500 wrote:
NBlue wrote:

Have you seen our 2 head coaches this year? The young and improving talent we have can certainly challenge for a playoff spot in a weak Eastern Conference with a coach who can tell the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#71 » by ezzzp » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:

You're back to not making zero sense. You are really underestimating Vuc's value, and you certainly don't add Jordan - a max contract to a position occupied by your young fringe all star center, you might do it for a complimentary player but to trade? not happening...and chemistry absolutely matters.

You're also ignoring the fact that the entire league will have money, including Los Angeles, who btw own Jordan's bird rights and can pay him the most for the longest time and is his home and is where he's had success on a contender and is a major international city with incredible weather etc...sure Jordan is going to leave that for a shot at beating out Vucevic and to play for a lottery team...I'm sure Hennigan is going "hey lets piss off our center and make the rest of young impressionable team mistrust us just so that Jordan's agent (cause Jordan won't take the call) can laugh at us." nice logic.
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Viper1500 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
Viper1500 wrote:
NBlue wrote:

Have you seen our 2 head coaches this year? The young and improving talent we have can certainly challenge for a playoff spot in a weak Eastern Conference with a coach who can tell the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.

I agree that our coaches have been bad, but so have the players. I don't see each of them turning it around during a 4 month offseason, I feel as if it's going to be a couple years.

Elfrid - Can't shoot, that's a long process
Oladipo - I feel like he's the only one of this team who will get significantly better by next year because his only mistake really is that he needs to learn when to shoot/when not
Harris - defensive liability, his 3pt shot is extremely inconsistent, disappears for minutes at a time
frye - slow as **ck, really don't have anything positive to say unless he's hitting 3's
vuc - the best player on this team offensively, and in the bottom 5 defensively

point being, there are so many holes on this team.

The two biggest problems on this team is spacing and defense. Harris isn't going to turn into a 3pt sniper just like Vucevic won't become Ben Wallace. No coach can teach that
OrlandoNed
Head Coach

Post#73 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Viper1500 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
Viper1500 wrote:How is this clear?? Please tell me.

I agree that our coaches have been bad, but so have the players. I don't see each of them turning it around during a 4 month offseason, I feel as if it's going to be a couple years.

Elfrid - Can't shoot, that's a long process
Oladipo - I feel like he's the only one of this team who will get significantly better by next year because his only mistake really is that he needs to learn when to shoot/when not
Harris - defensive liability, his 3pt shot is extremely inconsistent, disappears for minutes at a time
frye - slow as **ck, really don't have anything positive to say unless he's hitting 3's
vuc - the best player on this team offensively, and in the bottom 5 defensively

point being, there are so many holes on this team.

The two biggest problems on this team is spacing and defense. Harris isn't going to turn into a 3pt sniper just like Vucevic won't become Ben Wallace. No coach can teach that

There are holes on this team, I won't lie, but we don't have to have them all filled just to be top 8 in the east. Look at the conference right now, there are only 5 teams with above .500 records. You don't think that a respectable coach can get a healthy lineup of the guys we have now can get us 9 more wins at the 73 game mark next season? We aren't that far off. Have some faith in those flashes our youngsters have shown.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#74 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:08 pm

ezzzp wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

You're back to not making zero sense. You are really underestimating Vuc's value, and you certainly don't add Jordan - a max contract to a position occupied by your young fringe all star center, you might do it for a complimentary player but to trade? not happening...and chemistry absolutely matters.

You're also ignoring the fact that the entire league will have money, including Los Angeles, who btw own Jordan's bird rights and can pay him the most for the longest time and is his home and is where he's had success on a contender and is a major international city with incredible weather etc...sure Jordan is going to leave that for a shot at beating out Vucevic and to play for a lottery team...I'm sure Hennigan is going "hey lets piss off our center and make the rest of young impressionable team mistrust us just so that Jordan's agent (cause Jordan won't take the call) can laugh at us." nice logic.

?
I think you are over-rating Vuc if u think he is better than Jordan. I couldn't disagree more. And what are talking about when you say the entire league will have money? That doesn't happen until 2016. This summer the cap is only going up about 3 mill and there will be only so many teams with space. The Clippers are not one of them, though they can go as far as they want to go over the cap to resign their own players. But they can only offer him that extra year. We can offer him the same amount of money for the first (four or five years, can't remember the exact number at this point as I am awfully tired) so it isn't that big of an advantage and players leave all the time. If Jordan left LA it certaintly wouldn't be the first time someone left a contender or a place where they have spent their entire career. And I am not trading Vuc for Jordan. I am signing Jordan if he would come and then looking to trade Vuc for something good as in something seperate. If he doesn't want to come here then fine. But again I am not going to sell this team out short and not try and get the best players we can. I am not pinning my hopes on signing Jordan. But still I would at least try. You don't know what Jordan will do. All you have is your opinions. I am not saying he will or he won't because I don't know what he wants to do. And again I think you are over estimating the players reactions to Hennigan trying to court Jordan. It is a business and these guys all know that and I just don't buy that pissing everyone off and breading mis-trust. And if so what as you say this is a lottery bound team so why is that much of a problem.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#75 » by ezzzp » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:39 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:?
I think you are over-rating Vuc if u think he is better than Jordan. I couldn't disagree more. And what are talking about when you say the entire league will have money? That doesn't happen until 2016. This summer the cap is only going up about 3 mill and there will be only so many teams with space. The Clippers are not one of them, though they can go as far as they want to go over the cap to resign their own players. But they can only offer him that extra year. We can offer him the same amount of money for the first (four or five years, can't remember the exact number at this point as I am awfully tired) so it isn't that big of an advantage and players leave all the time. If Jordan left LA it certaintly wouldn't be the first time someone left a contender or a place where they have spent their entire career. And I am not trading Vuc for Jordan. I am signing Jordan if he would come and then looking to trade Vuc for something good as in something seperate. If he doesn't want to come here then fine. But again I am not going to sell this team out short and not try and get the best players we can. I am not pinning my hopes on signing Jordan. But still I would at least try. You don't know what Jordan will do. All you have is your opinions. I am not saying he will or he won't because I don't know what he wants to do. And again I think you are over estimating the players reactions to Hennigan trying to court Jordan. It is a business and these guys all know that and I just don't buy that pissing everyone off and breading mis-trust. And if so what as you say this is a lottery bound team so why is that much of a problem.

I think you are over-rating Jordan if u think he is clearly better than Vuc. Jordan's value is highly reliant on Chris Paul, Doc Rivers and Blake Griffin. If you put that kind of talent around Vuc, he would destroy.

Vuc paired with a starting quality complementary PF and a half way decent coach would be exponentially better than Jordan....and that's before you even factor in that Vuc is 3 years younger and on an incredible contract though 2019. Look at who Vuc has been paired with: Glen Davis, Kyle O'Quinn, Channing Frye, Andrew Nicholson and Dewayne Dedmond. If you put in a quality starter that can defend and be an offensive threat - look out.

The Clippers can offer him 5 years at max level with 7.5% annual raises...Everyone else can only offer him 4 years at max level with 4.5% annual raises...the difference is around $20-22 million plus the security of 1 extra year.

No one said you were trading Vuc for Jordan, but that you would put him on the block or bench to be able to spend max on a player that sucked prior to being paired with one of the best PG's of all time, a franchise PF drawing attention and one of the best current NBA coaches.

It wouldn't be the first time a player left a contender, but citing the chance of an anomaly doesn't make it any more likely to happen.

This is a young team, not a team you have to blow up. Huge difference.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#76 » by ralphie9898 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:20 am

ezzzp wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:?

I think you are over-rating Jordan if u think he is clearly better than Vuc. Jordan's value is highly reliant on Chris Paul, Doc Rivers and Blake Griffin. If you put that kind of talent around Vuc, he would destroy.

Vuc paired with a starting quality complementary PF and a half way decent coach would be exponentially better than Jordan....and that's before you even factor in that Vuc is 3 years younger and on an incredible contract though 2019. Look at who Vuc has been paired with: Glen Davis, Kyle O'Quinn, Channing Frye, Andrew Nicholson and Dewayne Dedmond. If you put in a quality starter that can defend and be an offensive threat - look out.

The Clippers can offer him 5 years at max level with 7.5% annual raises...Everyone else can only offer him 4 years at max level with 4.5% annual raises...the difference is around $20-22 million plus the security of 1 extra year.

No one said you were trading Vuc for Jordan, but that you would put him on the block or bench to be able to spend max on a player that sucked prior to being paired with one of the best PG's of all time, a franchise PF drawing attention and one of the best current NBA coaches.

It wouldn't be the first time a player left a contender, but citing the chance of an anomaly doesn't make it any more likely to happen.

This is a young team, not a team you have to blow up. Huge difference.

yeah but Jordan put up big numbers without Griffin and was an ascending player before Doc even got there. I am sorry but Jordan is a a lot more athletic and just as big as Vuc. He plays far better D and is just as good of a rebounder and despite being part of a team that has guys who take just as many if not more shots them he still scores at a good clip. And he showed when Griffin was gone that he can carry a higher scoring load. He is not just a product of the system. Vuc too is a largely a product of us not being a very good team and lacking much in the way of superior scoring options so I think Vuc's scoring numbers are a little inflated scoring wise. As for the contract we can offer him the same raises but we can't offer him that extra year. And it isn't an anamoly to see players leave teams. It happens quite often in free agency every year. There were plenty of guys who left to join new teams.

And again I don't think adding a good defender at the 4 makes as much of an improvement defensively as you think. Yeah it would help but still we lack that rim protector. A PF can't always be counted on to be a true rim protector as he would often be pulled away guarding 4s and wouldn't be in position. Sure he can still get some blocked shots but he wouldn't be that true rim deterrent that is always there when anybody drives.And you can't just switch and allow that PF to play center because Vuc can't guard 4s or be counted on to switch if anyones runs a screen to that PF that requires them to switch. Now I would be fine with Vuc at center but I don't think he is the ideal guy at center. Sorry but no one is as yet irreplaceable on this team. Sorry but if you happy with mediocrity than you go and sit on your hands and not an try to right the ship.

This is a business and I am not at all worried what a phone call to prospective FAs would do to our current players. It happens all the time. Did Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green complain and cry when GS added Iggy and put him right in front of them. Did Terrence Jones wine and cry when Houston pursued Bosh to essentially replace him. No this is a business and players no that and it isn't Henny's job to coddle and tell these players that everything will be alright and fall in love with them and ignore the truth and be a homer who over-rates his players.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#77 » by drsd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:24 am

Viper1500 wrote:The two biggest problems on this team is spacing and defense. Harris isn't going to turn into a 3pt sniper just like Vucevic won't become Ben Wallace. No coach can teach that

Payton, Oladipo, and Gordon-A are far-above average individual defenders. If Harris moves on then those three are a core of an excellent back-court defense. Vučević is an elite rebounder and that is a huge part of defense for a Center (often the defensive player of the year is the year's leading rebounder). So one cannot say "Vučević is rubbish because he cannot play man defense).

To me the real issue is that the team plays poor team defense. That is on coaching, the system, and a HUGEeee hole at the PF slot. THus, it is my opinion that Orlando is only one player away from being competent on defense.

And as for spacing, we really do not know how Gordon-A will effect spacing over an 82 game schedule.

The Magic must train hard in the off season working both on individual skills and on 2-and-3 man drills. I fully expect Payton, Oladipo, and Gordon-A to "live together" over the Summer. I am excited about their collective development.

My question: where will the Magic get a PF that improves team defense? I see this as a large question.

ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#78 » by ezzzp » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:32 am

ralphie9898 wrote:yeah but Jordan put up big numbers without Griffin and was an ascending player before Doc even got there.

Jordan could barely get off the bench on LAC teams that won 19 and 29 games . Blake arrived in 2010 and CP3 in 2011:

ralphie9898 wrote:I am sorry but Jordan is a a lot more athletic and just as big as Vuc. He plays far better D and is just as good of a rebounder and despite being part of a team that has guys who take just as many if not more shots them he still scores at a good clip. And he showed when Griffin was gone that he can carry a higher scoring load. He is not just a product of the system. Vuc too is a largely a product of us not being a very good team and lacking much in the way of superior scoring options so I think Vuc's scoring numbers are a little inflated scoring wise.

This is a comparison of Jordan at 24 vs Vucevic at 24...I take Vuc any day:

ralphie9898 wrote:As for the contract we can offer him the same raises but we can't offer him that extra year. And it isn't an anamoly to see players leave teams. It happens quite often in free agency every year. There were plenty of guys who left to join new teams.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q55

ralphie9898 wrote:And again I don't think adding a good defender at the 4 makes as much of an improvement defensively as you think. Yeah it would help but still we lack that rim protector. A PF can't always be counted on to be a true rim protector as he would often be pulled away guarding 4s and wouldn't be in position. Sure he can still get some blocked shots but he wouldn't be that true rim deterrent that is always there when anybody drives.And you can't just switch and allow that PF to play center because Vuc can't guard 4s or be counted on to switch if anyones runs a screen to that PF that requires them to switch.

Right now, of the top 3 shot blockers and effective defenders in the NBA - two are PF's (Davis and Ibaka)

...but regardless high quality team defenses have for the most part figured out how to neutralize the stretch 4 strategy in the post season when the game slows down (live by the 3 die by the 3). In fact having versatile defenders at sf/pf that can defend multiple positions has become as - if not more - important than a classical defensive center.

ralphie9898 wrote:Now I would be fine with Vuc at center but I don't think he is the ideal guy at center. Sorry but no one is as yet irreplaceable on this team. Sorry but if you happy with mediocrity than you go and sit on your hands and not an try to right the ship.

Seriously? last I checked Rob Hennigan was the GM and Devos family are the owners. You really think you are doing something? LOL what are you 12?

ralphie9898 wrote:This is a business and I am not at all worried what a phone call to prospective FAs would do to our current players. It happens all the time. Did Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green complain and cry when GS added Iggy and put him right in front of them. Did Terrence Jones wine and cry when Houston pursued Bosh to essentially replace him. No this is a business and players no that and it isn't Henny's job to coddle and tell these players that everything will be alright and fall in love with them and ignore the truth and be a homer who over-rates his players.

I'm glad you know so much about what is going on behind closed doors. Plus all those examples you gave are players that were fringe starters when that happened. Vuc is a legit starter on nearly every NBA team. How GM's handle player relations and free agency matters whether you choose to believe it or not - this is nothing new and not my concept.
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#79 » by mbn23 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Just hypothetical:
If lakers get top 2-3 pick and magic are projected 5-6 in draft...

Lakers out: pick 2-3 and Davis
Magic out: their pick 5-6 and sign & trade Harris as well as trading back their future picks rights

Magic might be able to gets Towns, lakers play Kobe part time and put a lineup of Young, Harris and J Randle
Just Sayin
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#80 » by ralphie9898 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:11 pm

ezzzp wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:yeah but Jordan put up big numbers without Griffin and was an ascending player before Doc even got there.

Jordan could barely get off the bench on LAC teams that won 19 and 29 games . Blake arrived in 2010 and CP3 in 2011:

ralphie9898 wrote:I am sorry but Jordan is a a lot more athletic and just as big as Vuc. He plays far better D and is just as good of a rebounder and despite being part of a team that has guys who take just as many if not more shots them he still scores at a good clip. And he showed when Griffin was gone that he can carry a higher scoring load. He is not just a product of the system. Vuc too is a largely a product of us not being a very good team and lacking much in the way of superior scoring options so I think Vuc's scoring numbers are a little inflated scoring wise.

This is a comparison of Jordan at 24 vs Vucevic at 24...I take Vuc any day:

ralphie9898 wrote:As for the contract we can offer him the same raises but we can't offer him that extra year. And it isn't an anamoly to see players leave teams. It happens quite often in free agency every year. There were plenty of guys who left to join new teams.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q55

ralphie9898 wrote:And again I don't think adding a good defender at the 4 makes as much of an improvement defensively as you think. Yeah it would help but still we lack that rim protector. A PF can't always be counted on to be a true rim protector as he would often be pulled away guarding 4s and wouldn't be in position. Sure he can still get some blocked shots but he wouldn't be that true rim deterrent that is always there when anybody drives.And you can't just switch and allow that PF to play center because Vuc can't guard 4s or be counted on to switch if anyones runs a screen to that PF that requires them to switch.

Right now, of the top 3 shot blockers and effective defenders in the NBA - two are PF's (Davis and Ibaka)

...but regardless high quality team defenses have for the most part figured out how to neutralize the stretch 4 strategy in the post season when the game slows down (live by the 3 die by the 3). In fact having versatile defenders at sf/pf that can defend multiple positions has become as - if not more - important than a classical defensive center.

ralphie9898 wrote:Now I would be fine with Vuc at center but I don't think he is the ideal guy at center. Sorry but no one is as yet irreplaceable on this team. Sorry but if you happy with mediocrity than you go and sit on your hands and not an try to right the ship.

Seriously? last I checked Rob Hennigan was the GM and Devos family are the owners. You really think you are doing something? LOL what are you 12?

ralphie9898 wrote:This is a business and I am not at all worried what a phone call to prospective FAs would do to our current players. It happens all the time. Did Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green complain and cry when GS added Iggy and put him right in front of them. Did Terrence Jones wine and cry when Houston pursued Bosh to essentially replace him. No this is a business and players no that and it isn't Henny's job to coddle and tell these players that everything will be alright and fall in love with them and ignore the truth and be a homer who over-rates his players.

I'm glad you know so much about what is going on behind closed doors. Plus all those examples you gave are players that were fringe starters when that happened. Vuc is a legit starter on nearly every NBA team. How GM's handle player relations and free agency matters whether you choose to believe it or not - this is nothing new and not my concept.

Yeah whatever dude Obviously we disagree. So I am done with this as it is a waste of time to keep up this argument. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Return to Orlando Magic