ImageImageImageImage

The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread ( 5/29 Stein - Skiles Hiring Imminent))

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread ( 5/29 Stein - Skiles Hiring Imminent)) 

Post#1 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:31 pm

This post will constantly be changing as new information becomes available. Let me know if I'm forgetting anyone, and feel free to post non-Magic coaching news in this thread, as it will probably still have some effect on our search. No names will be removed from this list until they have been formally eliminated from our coaching search or do not receive a formal interview.

Candidates Who Have Officially Interviewed: 2

Scott Skiles

Scott Skiles is continuing discussions with the Orlando Magic, inching closer to a partnership to become the franchise's head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Magic officials are convinced that Skiles is the best choice to deliver a young roster into playoff contention and have moved to the cusp of contract negotiations, league sources said.

Mike Woodson

Hennigan met with Los Angeles Clippers assistant Mike Woodson in Southern California over the weekend, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Potential Candidates:

James Borrego

Magic officials have maintained since firing Vaughn that Borrego will get a chance to interview for the full-time post, but Martins did hint at the club's interest in veteran leadership Wednesday night during the final broadcast of the season on Fox Sports Orlando, saying: "We want to find the right, experienced coach for this group."

"I HAVE THREE YEARS OF RELATIONSHIPS WITH THESE MEN. THERE’S NO OTHER COACH IN THIS LEAGUE THAT WE COULD BRING IN THAT COULD REPLICATE THAT, AND WE’RE GOING TO BUILD ON THAT."

Brian Shaw

Brian Shaw played in Orlando and now he relishes the chance to return as the Magic's head coach.

A person close to Shaw told the Orlando Sentinel that the former Magic guard would "absolutely" be “very interested" if or when the job opens.

Mike Malone

Former Kings head coach Mike Malone is considered a viable candidate for both the Nuggets and the Magic, but according to sources may be a little lower on the list than some of the other names.

Alvin Gentry

The Magic are far from ready to interview, but you can expect that Gentry will get serious consideration from the Magic and possibly the Nuggets.

Tom Thibodeau

If the Chicago Bulls truly are ready to part ways with Thibodeau after the season as reports suggest, trading him is the likeliest scenario to happen. The two teams said to be the most interested in the fifth-year coach are the Denver Nuggets and the Orlando Magic.

The supposed tension between Thibodeau and the front office has been so heavily reported on over the last couple seasons that it almost certainly has at least some truth to it. If Chicago actually is ready to split from Thibodeau, Basketball Insiders' Steve Kyler believes a trade is the most likely scenario.

"If the Chicago Bulls genuinely want to end their relationship with Tom Thibodeau, both Denver and Orlando seem to be more than interested even though the price tag to land Thibodeau may be a first round draft pick," Kyler wrote Monday. "The Bulls owe Thibodeau two more fully guaranteed years, worth an estimated $8.6 million, so firing him outright might not be in the cards, but trading him like the Celtics did with Doc Rivers is a real possibility."

Nate McMillan

Nate McMillan already has experience working with Victor Oladipo and Tobias Harris from the Team USA camp this past summer. Already having a connection with two of the Magic’s top players would make his transition as head coach even easier.

Nate McMillan is not the big name fans might be hoping for, but he would be an exceptional fit for this Orlando Magic squad.

Mark Jackson

The Magic are no strangers to drama queens having dealt with Dwight Howard. That being said, even though Mark Jackson may be a little rough around the edges, with the right coaching staff around him, he is still a great option for the Orlando Magic’s head coach vacancy.

Mike D'Antoni

The Beat of Sports @thebeatofsports · Apr 15
Two sources say Mike D'Antoni very interested in Magic job...believes young mix of players perfect for his uptempo system...

The Beat of Sports @thebeatofsports · Apr 15
Would be surprised if Magic showed interest in D'Antoni but fits "guy with head coaching experience" as team supposedly wants.

Ettore Messina

There is no information currently connecting Messina to the Magic. And only a scant threat connecting him to the Thunder. His focus for now is on the Spurs’ title defense.

Someone is going to take that risk, and maybe it should not be the Magic. Or maybe it should.

CANDIDATES WHO HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN RULED OUT:

Billy Donovan

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · Apr 30
Oklahoma City has hired Billy Donovan as coach, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Scott Brooks

Former Oklahoma City Thunder coach Scott Brooks plans to pass on interview chances with the Denver Nuggets and New Orleans Pelicans and appears inclined to sit out the 2015-16 season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Re: The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread 

Post#2 » by TreasureCoast » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Oh snap Brooks got canned!!!

Denver should snatch him up quick :wink:
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#3 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I'd rather Brian Hill get a 3rd chance before Scott Brooks
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#4 » by seeingstars » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:I figured this might deserve it's own thread.

I'll start filling this post with more info immediately, for now it's a placeholder.

The Potential Candidates:

Scott Brooks

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m5 minutes ago
Oklahoma City has fired coach Scott Brooks, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 13s13 seconds ago
Brooks will immediately become a top candidate for the openings in Orlando and Denver, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Scott Skiles

Scott Skiles, a popular ex-Orlando Magic player and former head coach with Phoenix, Chicago and Milwaukee, has emerged as a serious candidate to eventually take over as head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Scott Skiles has been linked to the Magic since former head coach Jacque Vaughn was fired. Skiles remains close with a number of the Magic’s ownership and senior leadership personalities including Magic CEO Alex Martins.

It’s believed that Skiles has already had informal conversations about the Magic job, with some close to the situation saying Skiles not only would take the job if offered, he’s tried to campaign a little.

The problem with Skiles as a hire, is that those close to the process say he’d want final say over personnel decisions, after a couple of rough front office situations in his past. Skiles doesn’t necessarily want current Magic GM Rob Hennigan out; sources say he simply wants approval over roster moves, something that Martins is currently doing now.

The Magic insist they have yet to begin discussions with any external candidates, but sources say they rate former Orlando fan favorite ‎Scott Skiles, who has coached the Phoenix Suns, Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks, as a serious candidate for the job.

James Borrego

Magic officials have maintained since firing Vaughn that Borrego will get a chance to interview for the full-time post, but Martins did hint at the club's interest in veteran leadership Wednesday night during the final broadcast of the season on Fox Sports Orlando, saying: "We want to find the right, experienced coach for this group."

"I HAVE THREE YEARS OF RELATIONSHIPS WITH THESE MEN. THERE’S NO OTHER COACH IN THIS LEAGUE THAT WE COULD BRING IN THAT COULD REPLICATE THAT, AND WE’RE GOING TO BUILD ON THAT."

Billy Donovan

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 8m8 minutes ago
Billy Donovan ranks as natural favorite in OKC to replace deposed Scotty Brooks, who becomes instant candidate in Denver and Orlando

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 3m3 minutes ago
I'll echo @ESPNSteinLine: Billy Donovan is a hot name for the OKC job. I'm sure he'd like to know Durant's intentions first, though.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 44s44 seconds ago
Hearing OKC wants Billy Donovan or Kevin Ollie... and if they can't get either one, they might wait to see if Bulls/Thibs self-destructs.

Awwww! You had to nab Brooks on his way to a best friends sleep over with Xbox in pack ready to 2k it up all night.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#5 » by Def Swami » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:57 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gatorhoops/status/590934735062437888[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gatorhoops/status/590934974204874752[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/590937585645522944[/tweet]
That dream is slowly dying.
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#6 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 3m3 minutes ago
Denver/Orlando potential landing spots 4 Brooks. Would guess Magic's improving roster intrigues. But lots of folks interested in ORL gig.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,091

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 pm

no way are Borrego and Shaw real candidates.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#8 » by woosah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Lot's of folks interested in the ORL gig?

WE'RE WANTED!!!!! *sheds a tear*
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#9 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:The Potential Candidates:

James Borrego

Brian Shaw

Brian Shaw played in Orlando and now he relishes the chance to return as the Magic's head coach.

A person close to Shaw told the Orlando Sentinel that the former Magic guard would "absolutely" be “very interested" if or when the job opens.

Yeah, you can go ahead and remove these 2 for sure. No chance we hire either of them.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#10 » by darthcheech2000 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Yeah, i'm good with Brooks. I wonder what connections he has with Hennigan.

Brooks>Thibs>>Malone>>Skiles>>>JB>>>>>>>>preacherman>>>>>>>>>GFTODonovan
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#11 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm not removing anyone who's been attached to the job, even if the information is minimal.

Gotta cover all the bases, regardless of how unlikely they are.

I'll edit it as candidates are officially ruled out/do not get an interview (at the bottom of the post), but for now it's going to be a big group.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:26 pm

darthcheech2000 wrote:Yeah, i'm good with Brooks. I wonder what connections he has with Hennigan.

are you being serious? Hennigan came from OKC
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#13 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:I'm not removing anyone who's been attached to the job, even if the information is minimal.

I'll edit it as candidates are officially ruled out/do not get an interview (at the bottom of the post), but for now it's going to be a big group.

then why dont you have McMillan on here?

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2015/02/12/best-fit-for-head-coach-in-orlando-magic/

Nate McMillan already has experience working with Victor Oladipo and Tobias Harris from the Team USA camp this past summer. Already having a connection with two of the Magic’s top players would make his transition as head coach even easier.

Nate McMillan is not the big name fans might be hoping for, but he would be an exceptional fit for this Orlando Magic squad.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#14 » by darthcheech2000 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 pm

tiderulz wrote:
darthcheech2000 wrote:Yeah, i'm good with Brooks. I wonder what connections he has with Hennigan.

Yes, we all know he came from OKC. That doesnt mean Hennigan had anything to do with his hiring. If their relationship is good then i would think we just found our new coach.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 pm

darthcheech2000 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Yes, we all know he came from OKC. That doesnt mean Hennigan had anything to do with his hiring. If their relationship is good then i would think we just found our new coach.

but that wasnt what you asked. you asked what connections he had with Hennigan. that connection is they both worked for the same team for 4 years
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#16 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:50 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:I'm not removing anyone who's been attached to the job, even if the information is minimal.

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2015/02/12/best-fit-for-head-coach-in-orlando-magic/

Because I'm still working on the list. Just started this an hour ago, been adding names periodically. Feel free to help me out with any other names i've excluded.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#17 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Because I'm still working on the list. Just started this an hour ago, been adding names periodically.

well, one more for you :wink:
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#18 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago
Despite public statement, UConn's Kevin Ollie has significant interest in OKC coaching job, sources tell Yahoo. He's a top choice for Presti

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 9m9 minutes ago
The runway in OKC is paved for Billy Donovan if he wants to land there. "He's ready to try the NBA," a league source said.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,974

Post#19 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 pm

with the respect an organization like OKC has, does anyone not wanting Billy D here in orlando change their mind a little bit because OKC "reportedly" has him as top-2 candidate for their open position?
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#20 » by woosah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:with the respect an organization like OKC has, does anyone not wanting Billy D here in orlando change their mind a little bit because OKC "reportedly" has him as top-2 candidate for their open position?

lol, nope.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.

Return to Orlando Magic