ImageImageImageImage

The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread ( 5/29 Stein - Skiles Hiring Imminent))

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Re: The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread ( 5/23 WOJ Bomb - Skiles Top Candidate) 

Post#1281 » by cedric76 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:50 pm

nothing new

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sLXz_Ij264[/youtube]
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Re: The Official Orlando Magic Coaching Search Thread ( 5/23 WOJ Bomb - Skiles Top Candidate) 

Post#1282 » by TreasureCoast » Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 pm

CZ Eddie wrote:I just realized that this will be the first time in NBA history where two [NBA] rookie head Coaches [likely] meet up against each other in the NBA finals.

Let's get a ROOKIE HEAD COACH!

Lebron isn't a rookie
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#1283 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I can see the skiles-toboas dynamic is being debated full on here, and surprise surprise its Magicfan101, the guy who wished a career ending injury on tobias leading the charge against tobias lol
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1284 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:I can see the skiles-toboas dynamic is being debated full on here, and surprise surprise its Magicfan101, the guy who wished a career ending injury on tobias leading the charge against tobias lol

lol. I'm suggesting that this entire thing is completely overblown. Tobias was a raw rookie who didn't get time on team deep at both forward positions.

Players like to play so he was happy to arrive in Orlando where time was available. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand the situation both he and his former coach were in then versus the one they would be in now if Skiles is hired.

I don't think there would be any issues between Harris and Skiles.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#1285 » by UCFJayBird » Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Can anyone find anything more than speculations that Skiles and Harris didn't get along? All I'm able to find is that Skiles benched him when people felt he should've been playing more and that maybe there was some disgruntlement there.

But I think it's a bit short sighted to believe that just because Skiles didn't play Harris as much as he felt he should have, that their relationship is irreparably damaged and there's no way Harris can be on a Scott Skiles team.

Harris will get a max contract this offseason most likely (or damn near close). If Orlando matches it, he will get minutes, and any beef with Skiles will be squashed because he'll be getting paid $15+ mil per year. I would bet good money that this is mostly overblown nonsense.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1286 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:26 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Can anyone find anything more than speculations that Skiles and Harris didn't get along? All I'm able to find is that Skiles benched him when people felt he should've been playing more and that maybe there was some disgruntlement there.

But I think it's a bit short sighted to believe that just because Skiles didn't play Harris as much as he felt he should have, that their relationship is irreparably damaged and there's no way Harris can be on a Scott Skiles team.

Harris will get a max contract this offseason most likely (or damn near close). If Orlando matches it, he will get minutes, and any beef with Skiles will be squashed because he'll be getting paid $15+ mil per year. I would bet good money that this is mostly overblown nonsense.

Exactly!

He was benched when fans wanted to see him play and he was thrilled when he was traded and given major playing time. People assumed this meant he hated Skiles. I simply read this as a hungry young player who wanted to play.
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#1287 » by ImChillin01 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Scott Skiles is good point A to B coach, like VDN.
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#1288 » by CraZyPraiZ » Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 pm

cvMagic wrote:Ooh, i really hope Woj is wrong on this one. The only word to describe this is... "meh". Skiles is a vast improvement over the recent coaches - and would definitely improve the team - but he just reeks of a guy who will top out at getting the team to 45-50 wins annually and second round exits at best.

This is such a pivotal moment in Magic history. They need a coach that not only will make the parts already on the roster better, but will also have the cache to attract top free agents to want to play for him because this team is going to need a top tier free agent to join this roster eventually if they are going to make the ultimate leap.

I don't think Skiles has the rep around the league to attract top tier talent - especially with his abrasive/drill seargent approach.

I agree with some of your post but you do realize that getting 45-50 wins from this current roster would be monumental. My concern is in adding FA with Skiles at the helm.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#1289 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon May 25, 2015 9:44 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:I can see the skiles-toboas dynamic is being debated full on here, and surprise surprise its Magicfan101, the guy who wished a career ending injury on tobias leading the charge against tobias lol

lol. I'm suggesting that this entire thing is completely overblown. Tobias was a raw rookie who didn't get time on team deep at both forward positions.

Players like to play so he was happy to arrive in Orlando where time was available. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand the situation both he and his former coach were in then versus the one they would be in now if Skiles is hired.

Lets hope so because losing harris would most likely mean attempting to replace his production with a rookie, and although there will be some good options available at 5, i would feel more comfortable if we eased them into a role rather than giving them that responsibility from day 1.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#1290 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Omg chillin at a bar and drinking beer while talking about the magic is so much better than being at work lol. THANK YOU THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED!!
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#1291 » by cedric76 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:49 pm

At a bar and checking your phone?? switch it off and enjoy
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1292 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Lets hope so because losing harris would most likely mean attempting to replace his production with a rookie, and although there will be some good options available at 5, i would feel more comfortable if we eased them into a role rather than giving them that responsibility from day 1.

Even if there was a rift between them Harris is looking to get paid and we control his contract destiny. We only lose him if WE want to, not if he wants to go. Plus, Harris is a far more mature player today than he was then. He will get minutes under any coach.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,631

Post#1293 » by thelead » Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:Scott Skiles is good point A to B coach, like VDN.

This is true. He was on my "Do not want" list but hey, he'll straighten the ship a little and be gone in 3 years anyway, right? :dontknow:
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#1294 » by Orium » Mon May 25, 2015 11:04 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/602942063961706497[/tweet]
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#1295 » by purpleswordfish » Mon May 25, 2015 11:09 pm

cedric76 wrote:nothing new

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sLXz_Ij264[/youtube]

LMAO @ the guy calling the Magic GM by the name of Rod Hennigan.
chosen12141
Junior
And1: 117

Post#1296 » by chosen12141 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:21 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:Omg chillin at a bar and drinking beer while talking about the magic is so much better than being at work lol. THANK YOU THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED!!

You Sir are welcome! :nod:
Waiting for the Championship parade at Lake Eola!
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,497

Post#1297 » by doct3r dr3 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:41 am

Even if there is no deep-seated hatred or animosity between Tobias Harris and Scott Skiles, if you're Tobias, how can you look this guy in the face every day and take him seriously? He was there firsthand to see what an incompetent judge of talent and leader of men Scott Skiles is. He was a member of that lockerroom that Skiles "lost" the last time he got canned. I doubt Harris has much respect for him, at this point.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Mannchild
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 272

Post#1298 » by Mannchild » Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 am

I was in the sauna with Gortat at McDonalds and he told me that the Skiles rumor is simply to try and get the bulls to fire Thibs, instead of trading him.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1299 » by MagicFan32 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:03 am

it's funny seeing the forum trying to talk themselves into skiles
same thing happened with brian hill.

there is no way tobes will want to play for this guy again, and you are just asking for problems with players being unhappy here
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MrShow
Pro Prospect
And1: 419

Post#1300 » by MrShow » Tue May 26, 2015 6:05 am

doct3r dr3 wrote:Even if there is no deep-seated hatred or animosity between Tobias Harris and Scott Skiles, if you're Tobias, how can you look this guy in the face every day and take him seriously? He was there firsthand to see what an incompetent judge of talent and leader of men Scott Skiles is. He was a member of that lockerroom that Skiles "lost" the last time he got canned. I doubt Harris has much respect for him, at this point.

Do you really have such a low opinion of Tobias that you think he has such a fragile ego? And if so, why would we want such a weak minded player?

Return to Orlando Magic