ImageImageImageImage

The Dark Horse: Bobby Portis

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Re: The Dark Horse: Bobby Portis 

Post#21 » by Patrick1978 » Thu May 7, 2015 1:14 am

Wcs also doesn't seem like a starter,neither does porzingis.i am rooting for portis and turner.
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#22 » by Truth24 » Thu May 7, 2015 3:18 am

Portis is a complete player right now who while isn't going to be a great rim protector, he is a really good defender who can play in the post and defend the pick n roll. His post game needs work but he does have some moves and can be a threat down low over guys like WCS and Porzingis. I really wouldn't mind taking Portis at 5 because he will be better than WCS and Porzingis.
Kytu
Junior
And1: 36

Post#23 » by Kytu » Thu May 7, 2015 4:35 am

Portis = Terrance Jones ?
The Strong Survive
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Re: Re: The Dark Horse: Bobby Portis 

Post#24 » by cedric76 » Thu May 7, 2015 7:27 am

Kytu wrote:Portis = Terrance Jones ?

Could be
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#25 » by ralphie9898 » Thu May 7, 2015 11:51 am

Patrick1978 wrote:I don t understand why a player like wcs who is a good defender is considerate as a top10 pick and portis as a 15 to 20 pick.portis is clearly more talented and the better overall Player.that's my opinion.i also like myles turner over wcs

Cuz WCS is an elite defedner and better than Portis in this area. Offensively Portis is better but it isn't like Portis is a sure thing. Portis hasn't been that consistent. WCS was more consistent for what he brings and did it on a much better team. Plus he is a guy who can play center whereas Portis is pretty much a PF so centers usually win out over PFs as well.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#26 » by ralphie9898 » Thu May 7, 2015 11:58 am

Patrick1978 wrote:Wcs also doesn't seem like a starter,neither does porzingis.i am rooting for portis and turner.

Uh yeah they do. Especially Porzingis who is under-rated on this forum. Porzingis is one of the best players in this draft and if he was playing for Kentucky or any other major college program we would all probably be signing his praises right next to guy like Towns and Okafor. He is a really skilled big man who can play D and score all the way out to three point line. The only real knock against him is his weight as he needs to add muscle but he has very good potential and is very much worthy of our pick.

WCS while not the prospect Porzingis is is still really good as he is the best defender in this draft and probably the best athlete when you consider his size. his offensive skill is lacking but he should still be able to score with his athleticism and if he can learn some post moves he should be fine. I would take Turner over WCS but it is close. But Portis is valued much later. There is no way I would consider Portis at where we are picking.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#27 » by ralphie9898 » Thu May 7, 2015 12:06 pm

Truth24 wrote:Portis is a complete player right now who while isn't going to be a great rim protector, he is a really good defender who can play in the post and defend the pick n roll. His post game needs work but he does have some moves and can be a threat down low over guys like WCS and Porzingis. I really wouldn't mind taking Portis at 5 because he will be better than WCS and Porzingis.

Portis might be better than WCS or Porzingis. There is no guarantee that he will be. But Porzingis is a much more highly coveted prospect and I don't know why anyone would take Portis over him. And again I would take WCS over Portis as well. I don't understand why Portis is getting so much hype in this thread. Yes I like him too as mid to late first rounder. He does have more of a complete game but there are questions about whether he will excel or if he has the ceiling that other guys have. He is only an average athlete and he can fall in love with his perimeter game too much.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#28 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 7, 2015 12:26 pm

Not that high on Porzingis. But, I like Portis and WCS. Not opposed to Turner either. I am sure Henny will be even more educated on who is the best player available.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Truth24
Starter

Post#29 » by Truth24 » Thu May 7, 2015 3:02 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:I don t understand why a player like wcs who is a good defender is considerate as a top10 pick and portis as a 15 to 20 pick.portis is clearly more talented and the better overall Player.that's my opinion.i also like myles turner over wcs

Cuz WCS is an elite defedner and better than Portis in this area. Offensively Portis is better but it isn't like Portis is a sure thing. Portis hasn't been that consistent. WCS was more consistent for what he brings and did it on a much better team. Plus he is a guy who can play center whereas Portis is pretty much a PF so centers usually win out over PFs as well.

WCS was so much more consistent that he won SEC player of the year....Oh wait no that was Bobby Portis who won that award. Portis was very much a consistent beast throughout the year, except for the last few games of the year. Yes WCS is an elite defender, but Portis is a good defender whereas where Portis is a great offensive player WCS is putrid on that end. I will take the player who is younger and is already more of a complete player over just a defensive player.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#30 » by ralphie9898 » Thu May 7, 2015 11:27 pm

Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

WCS was so much more consistent that he won SEC player of the year....Oh wait no that was Bobby Portis who won that award. Portis was very much a consistent beast throughout the year, except for the last few games of the year. Yes WCS is an elite defender, but Portis is a good defender whereas where Portis is a great offensive player WCS is putrid on that end. I will take the player who is younger and is already more of a complete player over just a defensive player.

Yeah but Portis didn't have to share the ball and compete with all the players for attention as WCS did. And you know else who didn't win SEC player of the year was Karl Anthony Towns so I guess you would take him over Towns too then? LOL. Portis is a good player. But while scouts all like him no one really loves him. He is a good all around player. He is solid offensively and better than WCS in that respect but he isn't considered to have a great offensive game. He is expected to be a good role player. He is a safe pick as most think he won't fail but no one thinks he will be a superstar. So again there is no way that I would consider Portis for where we are. But for all those that do like him I guess go ahead but don't be dissapointed on draft day if it isn't him.
Truth24
Starter

Post#31 » by Truth24 » Fri May 8, 2015 12:04 am

ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote: Cuz WCS is an elite defedner and better than Portis in this area. Offensively Portis is better but it isn't like Portis is a sure thing. Portis hasn't been that consistent. WCS was more consistent for what he brings and did it on a much better team. Plus he is a guy who can play center whereas Portis is pretty much a PF so centers usually win out over PFs as well.

Yeah but Portis didn't have to share the ball and compete with all the players for attention as WCS did. And you know else who didn't win SEC player of the year was Karl Anthony Towns so I guess you would take him over Towns too then? LOL. Portis is a good player. But while scouts all like him no one really loves him. He is a good all around player. He is solid offensively and better than WCS in that respect but he isn't considered to have a great offensive game. He is expected to be a good role player. He is a safe pick as most think he won't fail but no one thinks he will be a superstar. So again there is no way that I would consider Portis for where we are. But for all those that do like him I guess go ahead but don't be dissapointed on draft day if it isn't him.

Portis had to share the ball with a lot of really good players, while a lot of people don't really know much about that Arkansas team it isn't like Portis was the only one getting the ball. Would I take KAT over Portis that would be a no because of the perceived potential that KAT has, but one thing is for sure Portis was a much better player last season than KAT was which is why he won SEC player of the year. If he isn't considered to have a great offensive game then I don't know who is, he literally is the second best offensive big man in the draft behind Okafor and might be on par with him because of his jump shot. Portis can take guys off the dribble, has a deadly mid range jumper, and can do a lot of nice things in the post I would say he has a great offense. Will he be a focal point on offense in the NBA, maybe and maybe not but one thing is for sure he has a great offensive game and a game only WCS can dream of having.

So Portis is expected to be a safe pick and a role player a guy who many think won't fail just not be a superstar and we aren't suppose to consider him with our pick....Yet what is WCS going to be in the NBA.....Oh yea just a role player....But we are suppose to consider him at our pick.....Great logic.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#32 » by Patrick1978 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:49 am

Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:

Portis had to share the ball with a lot of really good players, while a lot of people don't really know much about that Arkansas team it isn't like Portis was the only one getting the ball. Would I take KAT over Portis that would be a no because of the perceived potential that KAT has, but one thing is for sure Portis was a much better player last season than KAT was which is why he won SEC player of the year. If he isn't considered to have a great offensive game then I don't know who is, he literally is the second best offensive big man in the draft behind Okafor and might be on par with him because of his jump shot. Portis can take guys off the dribble, has a deadly mid range jumper, and can do a lot of nice things in the post I would say he has a great offense. Will he be a focal point on offense in the NBA, maybe and maybe not but one thing is for sure he has a great offensive game and a game only WCS can dream of having.

So Portis is expected to be a safe pick and a role player a guy who many think won't fail just not be a superstar and we aren't suppose to consider him with our pick....Yet what is WCS going to be in the NBA.....Oh yea just a role player....But we are suppose to consider him at our pick.....Great logic.

Great Post,i totally agree with you 100%
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#33 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 8, 2015 9:07 am

Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:

Yeah whatever dude. You know my position. I expect Portis to go in the 13-22 range so we shall see come draft day.
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#34 » by Just Plain Mark » Fri May 8, 2015 1:57 pm

I always enjoy the NBA draft, in part due to the search for undervalued players. I think if you're going to use DX's draft profile positives to build your case, then you also have to address DX's conclusion that Portis is currently #16 because DX said Portis

may not project to have a high ceiling but his skill set suggests he should be able to find a spot in the league as a high-impact role player.

So, even if all the positives, offensively and defensively are assumed to translate exactly in the NBA, he's still projected as a role player by one of the best draft sites around. For that reason, I have a hard time seeing Portis as a good pick for the Magic at the 5-8 spots.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#35 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:38 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I always enjoy the NBA draft, in part due to the search for undervalued players. I think if you're going to use DX's draft profile positives to build your case, then you also have to address DX's conclusion that Portis is currently #16 because DX said Portis

may not project to have a high ceiling but his skill set suggests he should be able to find a spot in the league as a high-impact role player.

So, even if all the positives, offensively and defensively are assumed to translate exactly in the NBA, he's still projected as a role player by one of the best draft sites around. For that reason, I have a hard time seeing Portis as a good pick for the Magic at the 5-8 spots.

And they aren't the only one. Chad Ford has him going 19 in his latest mock and ranked 17th on his big board. And this is what he says about him....

Apr 29 Update: Portis is one of the clearest guys in the entire draft to project. Every single scout and GM I spoke with likes him. Every single one. But no one loves him. That's a really rare thing and why he's stuck right in the middle of the Big Board. This ranking is low enough to reflect the fact no one sees him as a star and high enough to show that no one thinks he'll be a bust. Look for him to go in the Nos. 13-to-20 range.

CBS Sports have him as the 12th ranked player and in their three mock drafts they have him going 11th, 17, and 19. NBA Draft.net has him going 15th in their mock and ranked 16th on the prospect rankings. NBA.com has him ranked 21st.
Truth24
Starter

Post#36 » by Truth24 » Fri May 8, 2015 3:12 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I always enjoy the NBA draft, in part due to the search for undervalued players. I think if you're going to use DX's draft profile positives to build your case, then you also have to address DX's conclusion that Portis is currently #16 because DX said Portis

It depends on a couple things though because assuming we do pick in that 5-8 range almost everyone in that range is going to be a role player for us. I can understand the arguments for Winslow, Hezonja, and Johnson over Portis but if the plan is to bring back Tobias they are unlikely to be the pick. I can't understand why people would be okay with drafting WCS in this range and not Portis when both are going to be role players in the nba, but Portis is better by a big margin.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#37 » by Skin » Fri May 8, 2015 7:18 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:Portis is a complete player right now who while isn't going to be a great rim protector, he is a really good defender who can play in the post and defend the pick n roll. His post game needs work but he does have some moves and can be a threat down low over guys like WCS and Porzingis. I really wouldn't mind taking Portis at 5 because he will be better than WCS and Porzingis.

Portis might be better than WCS or Porzingis. There is no guarantee that he will be. But Porzingis is a much more highly coveted prospect and I don't know why anyone would take Portis over him. And again I would take WCS over Portis as well. I don't understand why Portis is getting so much hype in this thread. Yes I like him too as mid to late first rounder. He does have more of a complete game but there are questions about whether he will excel or if he has the ceiling that other guys have. He is only an average athlete and he can fall in love with his perimeter game too much.

There is no guarantee that any prospect will fulfill whatever level of expectations people put on them. This isn't just an argument against Portis. I think you're misunderstanding this thread. The title of this thread states "The Dark Horse". That is a clear acknowledgement that he is not among the top names of this draft at this point in the process. This is a thread about the possibility that he MIGHT emerge... he's simply being talked about as a dark horse candidate to rise through the process.

To see you bringing up rankings from Chad Ford and CBSsports is pointless. We're not arguing where he is in terms of rankings at this moment. We know where the community ranks him as a whole right now. But I'm sure you're not a stranger to seeing players rise throughout the draft evaluation process. Was Elfrid Payton in the Top 10 at this point last year? No. Was Oladipo a universal pick at various draft sites as a Top 2 player at this time in 2013? Or Anthony Bennett #1? The list is too long throughout the history of the draft. Big boards and rankings are going to change. It's inevitable.

Portis' flaws are the reason he is where he is right now. However, when I created this thread, I had a feeling that teams would begin to re-evaluate him as he goes through this process. I think it banks on 2 main things:

1) He'll have to shoot the ball well in workouts to break their idea that his shot is inconsistent.
2) He will have to let his dog out in workouts. If his energy and intensity is on display it can lift him beyond his physical limitations and help him win match ups.

If he can do that, then he could jump WCS who can be seen as too one dimensional. He could also jump KP, because KP's strength is his shooting. If Portis is anywhere close to on par with KP as a shooter, then the fact that Portis is more physical, fluid and intense could propel him.

In the end this is all just speculation and it's meant to open up eyes of others who don't know much about him. I think he's being underrated at this point, so we'll just have to see. He could very well fall in the draft. A lot depends on the workouts and combine that are ahead.

One things for sure... his is a dawg. KG became KG because of the dawg in him. I can't help but see a similar player.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#38 » by Skin » Fri May 8, 2015 7:23 pm

I enjoy the search for undervalued players as well. Thus this thread! :D Rankings are fluid. If DX ranked him in the high lottery, this wouldn't be a thread about a dark horse candidate. The belief is that he has a chance to rise high throughout the post season evaluation process which hasn't even started yet.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#39 » by tiderulz » Fri May 8, 2015 7:36 pm

hadnt seen much of him before. He definitely has more offensive game than WCS. if the choice is centered on WCS because of need, and the front office is keeping Harris, wonder if they could move back a little with someone, maybe near 12ish to get Portis and pick up another late 1st for a backup pg.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#40 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 8, 2015 8:30 pm

Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

There is no guarantee that any prospect will fulfill whatever level of expectations people put on them. This isn't just an argument against Portis. I think you're misunderstanding this thread. The title of this thread states "The Dark Horse". That is a clear acknowledgement that he is not among the top names of this draft at this point in the process. This is a thread about the possibility that he MIGHT emerge... he's simply being talked about as a dark horse candidate to rise through the process.

To see you bringing up rankings from Chad Ford and CBSsports is pointless. We're not arguing where he is in terms of rankings at this moment. We know where the community ranks him as a whole right now. But I'm sure you're not a stranger to seeing players rise throughout the draft evaluation process. Was Elfrid Payton in the Top 10 at this point last year? No. Was Oladipo a universal pick at various draft sites as a Top 2 player at this time in 2013? Or Anthony Bennett #1? The list is too long throughout the history of the draft. Big boards and rankings are going to change. It's inevitable.

Portis' flaws are the reason he is where he is right now. However, when I created this thread, I had a feeling that teams would begin to re-evaluate him as he goes through this process. I think it banks on 2 main things:

1) He'll have to shoot the ball well in workouts to break their idea that his shot is inconsistent.
2) He will have to let his dog out in workouts. If his energy and intensity is on display it can lift him beyond his physical limitations and help him win match ups.

If he can do that, then he could jump WCS who can be seen as too one dimensional. He could also jump KP, because KP's strength is his shooting. If Portis is anywhere close to on par with KP as a shooter, then the fact that Portis is more physical, fluid and intense could propel him.

In the end this is all just speculation and it's meant to open up eyes of others who don't know much about him. I think he's being underrated at this point, so we'll just have to see. He could very well fall in the draft. A lot depends on the workouts and combine that are ahead.

One things for sure... his is a dawg. KG became KG because of the dawg in him. I can't help but see a similar player.

As I said that I don't think he will. The draft isn't that far away and I highly doubt that there is anything Portis can do that will rise his stock to where we would consider him. Oladipo was rising well before this point. As I said that was a bad comparison as he was making the climb into the high lottery during the college season. He didn't just come completely out of nowhere right up close on draft day. Sorry but as I said I would not consider Portis at all as I think out of all of these guys he is one of the surest things in this draft but no one believes he is special.

Return to Orlando Magic