ImageImageImageImage

The Dark Horse: Bobby Portis

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: The Dark Horse: Bobby Portis 

Post#41 » by Skin » Fri May 8, 2015 8:59 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote: Portis might be better than WCS or Porzingis. There is no guarantee that he will be. But Porzingis is a much more highly coveted prospect and I don't know why anyone would take Portis over him. And again I would take WCS over Portis as well. I don't understand why Portis is getting so much hype in this thread. Yes I like him too as mid to late first rounder. He does have more of a complete game but there are questions about whether he will excel or if he has the ceiling that other guys have. He is only an average athlete and he can fall in love with his perimeter game too much.

There is no guarantee that any prospect will fulfill whatever level of expectations people put on them. This isn't just an argument against Portis. I think you're misunderstanding this thread. The title of this thread states "The Dark Horse". That is a clear acknowledgement that he is not among the top names of this draft at this point in the process. This is a thread about the possibility that he MIGHT emerge... he's simply being talked about as a dark horse candidate to rise through the process.

To see you bringing up rankings from Chad Ford and CBSsports is pointless. We're not arguing where he is in terms of rankings at this moment. We know where the community ranks him as a whole right now. But I'm sure you're not a stranger to seeing players rise throughout the draft evaluation process. Was Elfrid Payton in the Top 10 at this point last year? No. Was Oladipo a universal pick at various draft sites as a Top 2 player at this time in 2013? Or Anthony Bennett #1? The list is too long throughout the history of the draft. Big boards and rankings are going to change. It's inevitable.

Portis' flaws are the reason he is where he is right now. However, when I created this thread, I had a feeling that teams would begin to re-evaluate him as he goes through this process. I think it banks on 2 main things:

1) He'll have to shoot the ball well in workouts to break their idea that his shot is inconsistent.
2) He will have to let his dog out in workouts. If his energy and intensity is on display it can lift him beyond his physical limitations and help him win match ups.

If he can do that, then he could jump WCS who can be seen as too one dimensional. He could also jump KP, because KP's strength is his shooting. If Portis is anywhere close to on par with KP as a shooter, then the fact that Portis is more physical, fluid and intense could propel him.

In the end this is all just speculation and it's meant to open up eyes of others who don't know much about him. I think he's being underrated at this point, so we'll just have to see. He could very well fall in the draft. A lot depends on the workouts and combine that are ahead.

One things for sure... his is a dawg. KG became KG because of the dawg in him. I can't help but see a similar player.

As I said that I don't think he will. The draft isn't that far away and I highly doubt that there is anything Portis can do that will rise his stock to where we would consider him. Oladipo was rising well before this point. As I said that was a bad comparison as he was making the climb into the high lottery during the college season. He didn't just come completely out of nowhere right up close on draft day. Sorry but as I said I would not consider Portis at all as I think out of all of these guys he is one of the surest things in this draft but no one believes he is special.

He's on the lottery bubble. It's not like we're talking about a second rounder. But it's interesting you call him one of the surest things in this draft. I'm good ending it there for now.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#42 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 8, 2015 10:41 pm

Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:There is no guarantee that any prospect will fulfill whatever level of expectations people put on them. This isn't just an argument against Portis. I think you're misunderstanding this thread. The title of this thread states "The Dark Horse". That is a clear acknowledgement that he is not among the top names of this draft at this point in the process. This is a thread about the possibility that he MIGHT emerge... he's simply being talked about as a dark horse candidate to rise through the process.

To see you bringing up rankings from Chad Ford and CBSsports is pointless. We're not arguing where he is in terms of rankings at this moment. We know where the community ranks him as a whole right now. But I'm sure you're not a stranger to seeing players rise throughout the draft evaluation process. Was Elfrid Payton in the Top 10 at this point last year? No. Was Oladipo a universal pick at various draft sites as a Top 2 player at this time in 2013? Or Anthony Bennett #1? The list is too long throughout the history of the draft. Big boards and rankings are going to change. It's inevitable.

Portis' flaws are the reason he is where he is right now. However, when I created this thread, I had a feeling that teams would begin to re-evaluate him as he goes through this process. I think it banks on 2 main things:

1) He'll have to shoot the ball well in workouts to break their idea that his shot is inconsistent.
2) He will have to let his dog out in workouts. If his energy and intensity is on display it can lift him beyond his physical limitations and help him win match ups.

If he can do that, then he could jump WCS who can be seen as too one dimensional. He could also jump KP, because KP's strength is his shooting. If Portis is anywhere close to on par with KP as a shooter, then the fact that Portis is more physical, fluid and intense could propel him.

In the end this is all just speculation and it's meant to open up eyes of others who don't know much about him. I think he's being underrated at this point, so we'll just have to see. He could very well fall in the draft. A lot depends on the workouts and combine that are ahead.

One things for sure... his is a dawg. KG became KG because of the dawg in him. I can't help but see a similar player.

As I said that I don't think he will. The draft isn't that far away and I highly doubt that there is anything Portis can do that will rise his stock to where we would consider him. Oladipo was rising well before this point. As I said that was a bad comparison as he was making the climb into the high lottery during the college season. He didn't just come completely out of nowhere right up close on draft day. Sorry but as I said I would not consider Portis at all as I think out of all of these guys he is one of the surest things in this draft but no one believes he is special.

He's on the lottery bubble. It's not like we're talking about a second rounder. But it's interesting you call him one of the surest things in this draft. I'm good ending it there for now.

That wasn't all I said. While he is was one the surest things in this draft what that says it people are sure what he is. He is a good overall player but he isn't anything special. He is a 13-22 prospect not a guy you take with the 5th or 6th pick. We will see come draft day as I am done with this argument. There is no way I take him over Porzingis, Turner, Russell or WCS.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#43 » by Truth24 » Fri May 8, 2015 10:46 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:As I said that I don't think he will. The draft isn't that far away and I highly doubt that there is anything Portis can do that will rise his stock to where we would consider him. Oladipo was rising well before this point. As I said that was a bad comparison as he was making the climb into the high lottery during the college season. He didn't just come completely out of nowhere right up close on draft day. Sorry but as I said I would not consider Portis at all as I think out of all of these guys he is one of the surest things in this draft but no one believes he is special.

That wasn't all I said. While he is was one the surest things in this draft what that says it people are sure what he is. He is a good overall player but he isn't anything special. He is a 13-22 prospect not a guy you take with the 5th or 6th pick. We will see come draft day as I am done with this argument. There is no way I take him over Porzingis, Turner, Russell or WCS.

I just find it funny that Portis isn't anything special but you would take WCS, Porzingis, and Turner over him when they really aren't anything special either if Portis isn't.
Skin
RealGM

Post#44 » by Skin » Fri May 8, 2015 11:49 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:As I said that I don't think he will. The draft isn't that far away and I highly doubt that there is anything Portis can do that will rise his stock to where we would consider him. Oladipo was rising well before this point. As I said that was a bad comparison as he was making the climb into the high lottery during the college season. He didn't just come completely out of nowhere right up close on draft day. Sorry but as I said I would not consider Portis at all as I think out of all of these guys he is one of the surest things in this draft but no one believes he is special.

KG without his attitude/demeanor isn't anything special either. Was he a rim protector? No. Did he jump out of the gym? No. Was he yoked out or immovable because he was heavy set? No. But he was a DAMN good defender. Why? Because he was MENTALLY TOUGH. His mental toughness was rare. His ability to focus and lock down and desire to not let his man win was tremendous.

Part of what you need to look at in a player is his character. It's a major factor. You can have athleticism coming out of your ears but players who are mentally weak don't reach their potential. Portis is the rare type of player who comes along with the same type of approach to the game and to life that KG had. I admit he could very well end up being a JAG (Just a guy), but he brings something to the table that can make believers out of GMs looking for that extra something special.

Jermaine O'Neal, Rasheed Wallace are other rough comparisons I like.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. That's what I see with Portis.

He's a 13-22 guy now... So I could see 7-10 reachable (pending good workouts). If a team in the Top 5 really likes him, they might be better served trading down and getting him at a better value. But if you ask me whether or not he could be better than some of the guys taken ahead of him, my answer would be hell yes that could easily end up being true.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#45 » by ralphie9898 » Sat May 9, 2015 12:40 am

Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:He's on the lottery bubble. It's not like we're talking about a second rounder. But it's interesting you call him one of the surest things in this draft. I'm good ending it there for now.

I just find it funny that Portis isn't anything special but you would take WCS, Porzingis, and Turner over him when they really aren't anything special either if Portis isn't.

So says you. But it isn't just me saying that. So whatever you have your opinion and I have mine lets leave it at that and respect each others opinions cuz that is all they are. We will see come draft day and then we will see just have to wait see who these guys really are.

Same goes for you Skin. I am done with this argument.
Truth24
Starter

Post#46 » by Truth24 » Sat May 9, 2015 1:23 am

Skin,

What is your opinion of Trey Lyles, now here is a guy very similar to Bobby in size and skill set but he really didn't get to show his true potential because of having to play the three. The biggest difference is what you have allueded to with Bobby which is the demeanor in which they play the game with.
Skin
RealGM

Post#47 » by Skin » Sat May 9, 2015 1:40 am

ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote: That wasn't all I said. While he is was one the surest things in this draft what that says it people are sure what he is. He is a good overall player but he isn't anything special. He is a 13-22 prospect not a guy you take with the 5th or 6th pick. We will see come draft day as I am done with this argument. There is no way I take him over Porzingis, Turner, Russell or WCS.

So says you. But it isn't just me saying that. So whatever you have your opinion and I have mine lets leave it at that and respect each others opinions cuz that is all they are. We will see come draft day and then we will see just have to wait see who these guys really are.

You still don't get it. This is not a win/lose on draft day thing. This is not a prediction that he WILL be picked high. This is saying "hey, watch out for this guy because he could POTENTIALLY be picked high. We should keep an eye on him because he has some qualities that we need." If it doesn't happen, there is no agony. This is a shot in the dark to begin with. Jeez.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#48 » by ralphie9898 » Sat May 9, 2015 2:47 pm

Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Truth24 wrote:

You still don't get it. This is not a win/lose on draft day thing. This is not a prediction that he WILL be picked high. This is saying "hey, watch out for this guy because he could POTENTIALLY be picked high. We should keep an eye on him because he has some qualities that we need." If it doesn't happen, there is no agony. This is a shot in the dark to begin with. Jeez.

Dude don't tell me I don't get what your saying. I get it quite well I just don't agree with u. There is a difference between not agreeing with u and understanding what you are saying. I do not think he is a dark horse candidate or someone that will rise. Which is why I call him the surest thing in the draft in that he is sure to go in the 13-22. So again not agreeing with u(which was I am doing) is not the same as understanding your point.
Skin
RealGM

Post#49 » by Skin » Sat May 9, 2015 8:17 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:So says you. But it isn't just me saying that. So whatever you have your opinion and I have mine lets leave it at that and respect each others opinions cuz that is all they are. We will see come draft day and then we will see just have to wait see who these guys really are.

Dude don't tell me I don't get what your saying. I get it quite well I just don't agree with u. There is a difference between not agreeing with u and understanding what you are saying. I do not think he is a dark horse candidate or someone that will rise. Which is why I call him the surest thing in the draft in that he is sure to go in the 13-22. So again not agreeing with u(which was I am doing) is not the same as understanding your point.

:o I haven't seen anybody not get it as bad as you don't get it.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#50 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat May 9, 2015 10:01 pm

So, are you saying Magic should trade down and take Portis to be our next Payton? I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Truth24
Starter

Post#51 » by Truth24 » Sat May 9, 2015 10:21 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:So, are you saying Magic should trade down and take Portis to be our next Payton? I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I'm thinking this would be ideal if we don't end up with a top 3 choice, I would trade down from 5-6 into the 10-15 range pick up an extra asset and select one of the top power forward whether that be Portis, Lyles, or Kaminsky.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#52 » by ralphie9898 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:22 am

Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:You still don't get it. This is not a win/lose on draft day thing. This is not a prediction that he WILL be picked high. This is saying "hey, watch out for this guy because he could POTENTIALLY be picked high. We should keep an eye on him because he has some qualities that we need." If it doesn't happen, there is no agony. This is a shot in the dark to begin with. Jeez.

Not everyone has to agree with you. Talk about not getting it.
Skin
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skin » Sun May 10, 2015 4:51 am

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:Dude don't tell me I don't get what your saying. I get it quite well I just don't agree with u. There is a difference between not agreeing with u and understanding what you are saying. I do not think he is a dark horse candidate or someone that will rise. Which is why I call him the surest thing in the draft in that he is sure to go in the 13-22. So again not agreeing with u(which was I am doing) is not the same as understanding your point.

I don't care if you disagree. If you understood what was going on you wouldn't be so butthurt.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#54 » by Patrick1978 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:14 am

Buna dimineata din românia
If the magic don t end up in top three i think they will draft porzingis or turner
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#55 » by Patrick1978 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:36 am

Truth24 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:So, are you saying Magic should trade down and take Portis to be our next Payton? I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I'm thinking this would be ideal if we don't end up with a top 3 choice, I would trade down from 5-6 into the 10-15 range pick up an extra asset and select one of the top power forward whether that be Portis, Lyles, or Kaminsky.

I like your plan,you can add looney to Portis ,Kaminsky and Lyles. :D
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#56 » by ralphie9898 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote: :o I haven't seen anybody not get it as bad as you don't get it.

I don't care if you disagree. If you understood what was going on you wouldn't be so butthurt.

I am just fine. And I understand your point just fine. You say he is a darkhorse that could rise to where we are. I don't think he is. I think he is the surest thing in this draft as far as where is going to land. I don't think workouts or any of that will be able to help him rise up that far. You say there is a chance whereas I am saying there is no chance. And I also disagree when you related it to Oladipo. Oldipo was rising up boards long before this point in the season. He was already regarded as high lottery talent by the end of the college season. But I am understanding one thing pretty clear now about you.. That if someone doesn't agree with you then I guess to you it means they don't understand what your saying. So go ahead and have the last word as I am ignoring you from here on out about this.
Skin
RealGM

Post#57 » by Skin » Sun May 10, 2015 5:08 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Skin wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:Not everyone has to agree with you. Talk about not getting it.

I am just fine. And I understand your point just fine. You say he is a darkhorse that could rise to where we are. I don't think he is. I think he is the surest thing in this draft as far as where is going to land. I don't think workouts or any of that will be able to help him rise up that far. You say there is a chance whereas I am saying there is no chance. And I also disagree when you related it to Oladipo. Oldipo was rising up boards long before this point in the season. He was already regarded as high lottery talent by the end of the college season. But I am understanding one thing pretty clear now about you.. That if someone doesn't agree with you then I guess to you it means they don't understand what your saying. So go ahead and have the last word as I am ignoring you from here on out about this.

Again, I have no issues if you disagree. I welcome it! You could very well be right about him being a selection between 13-22, but I'm not saying that couldn't be the case either. This was never about a prediction of where he would be drafted. I'm just saying he could potentially rise as a dark horse and that I think he would be a nice fit for our team. If he does get drafted in the 13-22 range, then I think he could end up having a better career than some guys picked ahead of him. I also wanted to bring him up because he's among my favorite prospects that people aren't really talking about. I've loved prospects before than didn't pan out and this could be another case. But talking through it with others who might know more about him than me, helps me to find the right balance that I need to keep perspective on. Have a nice day!
Skin
RealGM

Post#58 » by Skin » Mon May 18, 2015 5:24 am

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/ ... play-angry

CHICAGO – From the moment Bobby Portis steps on the court, the first thing you notice is the eyes bulging out.

As you watch him play more, the eyes remain fixated on his opponents like a heat-seeking missile locked on its target.

“I’m very crazy. I play angry, I play mad,” Portis said. “I play very angry. Every game, I sit in the locker room and I have visions of the players on the other team slapped my mom. So that’s why I get mad and now I get you because you slapped my mom.”

While it may seem a bit extreme in terms of psychological games that players play on their own minds, Portis’ approach stems from a dark, painful past that was riddled with domestic abuse.

“That (domestic violence) propelled me,” Portis told ESPN.com in 2014. “To want to do something with this basketball stuff to get my mom out of that situation.”

There is no mistaking the influence and power that period in his life has had on how he approaches the game of basketball.

“I bring something different to the basketball court that I think most 20-year-olds don’t bring,” Portis said. “I bring a sense of urgency. I play with a log on my shoulder; not a chip. I play with a log on my shoulder simply because I feel I’m one of the best kept secrets in this draft.”

Well the secret is out.

Portis, the reigning SEC player of the Year, is known throughout NBA circles.

Several teams, including the Celtics, will think long and hard about draft him. He has six workouts currently scheduled, one of which will be with Boston.

He plays with an uncanny fire and emotion that, in terms of college players, is about as close as you’ll find to former Celtic Kevin Garnett.

So it should come as no surprise that Garnett is a player that Portis compares himself to in terms of energy and intensity.

“I feel I bring that same physicality, that same passion, and that same log on my shoulder that he plays with,” Portis said.

Don’t get it twisted, energy and effort and intensity are all good.

But Portis is on the radar of NBA teams leading up to the draft because he can play.

At 6-foot-10, Portis has shown the ability to score in a number of ways. Because he plays with such great effort, he has a chance to be a high-energy player who can defend multiple positions.

"Once I step on the court, I’m not just consumed by posting up,” Portis said. “I’m not just consumed just shooting jumpers. I like to do a lot of things on the basketball court. I believe I can play with anyone.”

And he’ll do it with a scowl, a wide-eyed demeanor and intensity that could be in a Celtics uniform next season.

And yes, the same mindset he brought to the floor at Arkansas will be coming to an NBA arena soon,

“Just some of the things I went through in the past, some of the things I had to go through in my household and some of things I had to go through in school,” Portis said. “So I created this thing I do now on me getting mad so when I go on the court I can have a productive night.”

Portis’ goal once he gets to the NBA can be summed up in two words – keep working.

“They’ll realize Bobby Portis is one of the hardest working players in the whole NBA,”said Portis, speaking in the third person briefly. “Simply because once I get there I won’t stop working. I’m going to keep doing the things that got me there. I was once a kid no one knew, and now people know me. So I got to this position to talk to you guys because I worked hard. Once I get there, I’ll keep working hard. Once I get there, I want to have a career in the NBA.”
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#59 » by OrlandoDream » Mon May 18, 2015 5:35 am

Skin wrote:http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/ ... play-angry

CHICAGO – From the moment Bobby Portis steps on the court, the first thing you notice is the eyes bulging out.

As you watch him play more, the eyes remain fixated on his opponents like a heat-seeking missile locked on its target.

“I’m very crazy. I play angry, I play mad,” Portis said. “I play very angry. Every game, I sit in the locker room and I have visions of the players on the other team slapped my mom. So that’s why I get mad and now I get you because you slapped my mom.”

While it may seem a bit extreme in terms of psychological games that players play on their own minds, Portis’ approach stems from a dark, painful past that was riddled with domestic abuse.

“That (domestic violence) propelled me,” Portis told ESPN.com in 2014. “To want to do something with this basketball stuff to get my mom out of that situation.”

There is no mistaking the influence and power that period in his life has had on how he approaches the game of basketball.

“I bring something different to the basketball court that I think most 20-year-olds don’t bring,” Portis said. “I bring a sense of urgency. I play with a log on my shoulder; not a chip. I play with a log on my shoulder simply because I feel I’m one of the best kept secrets in this draft.”

Well the secret is out.

Portis, the reigning SEC player of the Year, is known throughout NBA circles.

Several teams, including the Celtics, will think long and hard about draft him. He has six workouts currently scheduled, one of which will be with Boston.

He plays with an uncanny fire and emotion that, in terms of college players, is about as close as you’ll find to former Celtic Kevin Garnett.

So it should come as no surprise that Garnett is a player that Portis compares himself to in terms of energy and intensity.

“I feel I bring that same physicality, that same passion, and that same log on my shoulder that he plays with,” Portis said.

Don’t get it twisted, energy and effort and intensity are all good.

But Portis is on the radar of NBA teams leading up to the draft because he can play.

At 6-foot-10, Portis has shown the ability to score in a number of ways. Because he plays with such great effort, he has a chance to be a high-energy player who can defend multiple positions.

"Once I step on the court, I’m not just consumed by posting up,” Portis said. “I’m not just consumed just shooting jumpers. I like to do a lot of things on the basketball court. I believe I can play with anyone.”

And he’ll do it with a scowl, a wide-eyed demeanor and intensity that could be in a Celtics uniform next season.

And yes, the same mindset he brought to the floor at Arkansas will be coming to an NBA arena soon,

“Just some of the things I went through in the past, some of the things I had to go through in my household and some of things I had to go through in school,” Portis said. “So I created this thing I do now on me getting mad so when I go on the court I can have a productive night.”

Portis’ goal once he gets to the NBA can be summed up in two words – keep working.

“They’ll realize Bobby Portis is one of the hardest working players in the whole NBA,”said Portis, speaking in the third person briefly. “Simply because once I get there I won’t stop working. I’m going to keep doing the things that got me there. I was once a kid no one knew, and now people know me. So I got to this position to talk to you guys because I worked hard. Once I get there, I’ll keep working hard. Once I get there, I want to have a career in the NBA.”
kinda reminds me of an article I read on oladipo couple of years ago. Like the he has a hard. Worth ethic and just wants to get better. I don't know about the whole slapping mom thing but hey whatever sparks him is what matters. As long as it translates into locking up those offensive players and playing hard, think whatever you want. If anything we could use a couple more players with that "edge mentality." I would be happy if we somehow get him but don't see him being picked over Winslow.

http://youtu.be/j-JaFylN3Q4

Bobby and Oladipo would be buddies.
Truth24
Starter

Post#60 » by Truth24 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 am

I have been one of the biggest supporters for Bobby and that article just fuels that support even more. I watched almost every game he played at Arkansas for two years and watched him transform his game and keep that high intensity that he plays with. 5th might be high in the eyes of some, but all it takes is for him to make that GM fall in love with him. I feel Henny will love this guys mind set along with the skills he brings on the court.

Return to Orlando Magic