ImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker (Part 2)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#681 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:21 am

I keep thinking about an interview Rob did a few weeks back and stated they'll always bet on a player to improve his shooting if he's athletically gift and showed strong work ethic and strong willingness to get better.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,234

Re: 

Post#682 » by eyriq » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 am

Nyce_1 wrote:I keep thinking about an interview Rob did a few weeks back and stated they'll always bet on a player to improve his shooting if he's athletically gift and showed strong work ethic and strong willingness to get better.

This is why I think Winslow is his guy.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#683 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 am

eyriq wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:I keep thinking about an interview Rob did a few weeks back and stated they'll always bet on a player to improve his shooting if he's athletically gift and showed strong work ethic and strong willingness to get better.

Not to mention plenty of players who have come in lacking a consistent jumper have improved to become respectable.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#684 » by tiderulz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Not to mention plenty of players who have come in lacking a consistent jumper have improved to become respectable.

i would say more players have failed to get that consistent jumper than have succeeded.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: 

Post#685 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:51 am

so far this strategy has failed.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Re: Re: 

Post#686 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:23 am

eyriq wrote:

same could be said for WCS, for Hezonja, for Mudiay.
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#687 » by Baka_La Flame » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:29 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:

so far this strategy has failed.

How so? Oladipo has improved from 3 and has improved as a finisher at the rim. Gordon has shown improvement. Honestly it's still early. We've only had these guys for a short period. Too early to tell if they will turn it around but they have shown signs of improvement.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#688 » by Truth24 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

tiderulz wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
eyriq wrote:

i would say more players have failed to get that consistent jumper than have succeeded.

I think people see Leonard and Butler improve as shooters and think any player with athleticism can learn how to shoot, it's a tough task to take a guy who is a horrible shooter and make that a strength.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Re: 2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker (Part 2) 

Post#689 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 am

I am going to be livid if we draft another wing who cant shoot. Please no to Winslow
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Re: Re: Re: 

Post#690 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:36 am

I
Truth24 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Not to mention plenty of players who have come in lacking a consistent jumper have improved to become respectable.

I think people see Leonard and Butler improve as shooters and think any player with athleticism can learn how to shoot, it's a tough task to take a guy who is a horrible shooter and make that a strength.
First of all he isn't a horrible shooter. Not only the guys you mentioned but also Westbrook, Wall, and Rose to certain a certain extended and those are just modern Era guys. it has nothing to do with athleticism. It has to do with NBA coaches training with guys who don't have a broken shot and making them better 3 pt shooters. It happens all the time.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#691 » by Instincts » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:37 pm

eyriq wrote:

Considering what happen last year at #12 and the possible availability of the #4 pick for trade up this year, I have a hard time believing he is making any real indication of our targeted player or targeted player skill set in a interview two weeks before the draft. He knows better than that, more likely I would completely ignore or at least be open to the opposite of whatever he mentioned. Personally I think it has all just been smokescreen and the pick will be Hezonja if he is even still on the board at #5. But if the attitude issues are to much concern, bring on the best of winslow, KP, or wcs.
Truth24
Starter

Re: Re: Re: Re: 

Post#692 » by Truth24 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I
Truth24 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

First of all he isn't a horrible shooter. Not only the guys you mentioned but also Westbrook, Wall, and Rose to certain a certain extended and those are just modern Era guys. it has nothing to do with athleticism. It has to do with NBA coaches training with guys who don't have a broken shot and making them better 3 pt shooters. It happens all the time.

Yes he is a horrible shooter and that is undisputed facts he shoots horrible from everywhere on the court but two spots and even is a bad free throw shooter so yes he is a horrible shooter. I know it has nothing to do with athleticism but just as many guys who have improved have also not improved shooting quite that much and while Rose, Westbrook, and Wall all have improved nobody is considering them threats at all. Rose had a terrible year shooting, Wall is a decent mid range shooter but not so hot from deep, and Westbrook is the definition of streaky.

Can Winslow improve his shooting...Yes, but it is a long road for him in that department and is not some guaranteed thing and for that I would much rather take a player of similar traits but already better shooting the ball.
Truth24
Starter

Post#693 » by Truth24 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Here are a couple guys we could look at later if we don't take a power forward at five.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_2ynCZDq8c[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsVR8Rjc6w[/youtube]
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#694 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:13 pm

eyriq wrote:

I think so too. I Wouldn't be surprised if Hennigan thinks Winslow can become a serviceable spot up shooter some day.

But a strong case can be made for WCS and Porzingis fitting Hennigan's criteria as well.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Re: Re: 2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker (Part 2) 

Post#695 » by TDJacksonville » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Truth24 wrote:Here are a couple guys we could look at later if we don't take a power forward at five.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_2ynCZDq8c[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsVR8Rjc6w[/youtube]
how about some richaun Holmes. 2nd round guy according to most mocks but dude is pretty good
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#696 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Zmill wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I think so too. I Wouldn't be surprised if Hennigan thinks Winslow can become a serviceable spot up shooter some day.

But a strong case can be made for WCS and Porzingis fitting Hennigan's criteria as well.

He doesn't have to be Steph Curry but if he really can hit the 3 ball consistently then he could be a fantastic option for us.

I am more and more coming to the idea that Elfrid Payton is the focal point of this team going forward. From there, we can follow the Golden State strategy of filling the other roles through a true team effort with a strong rotation of guys rather than a starting 5 getting 40 minutes a game. With Elf as the ultimate facilitator on offense, we could have Dipo, Harris, AG, Vuc, Fournier, Winslow + one strong FA big man signing to be a TEAM of players who step in as needed.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#697 » by KillMonger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:44 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_iKrNBJEU[/youtube]
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#698 » by The Other Ankle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:46 pm

eyriq wrote:

So what if a player is already a very good shooter, while being athletically "gift" and "showed" strong work ethic?

Could that player not improve defensive technique and whatever else you like about Winslow's game?

Mario has an elite skill that translates right now and is said to be quite intense. I think you draft him if here's there and make him defend to earn court time like every one else should.

Winslow has plenty of merit, but is worlds behind Mario in what we are lacking most from a wing: shooting.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#699 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:55 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Zmill wrote:
eyriq wrote:

He doesn't have to be Steph Curry but if he really can hit the 3 ball consistently then he could be a fantastic option for us.

I am more and more coming to the idea that Elfrid Payton is the focal point of this team going forward. From there, we can follow the Golden State strategy of filling the other roles through a true team effort with a strong rotation of guys rather than a starting 5 getting 40 minutes a game. With Elf as the ultimate facilitator on offense, we could have Dipo, Harris, AG, Vuc, Fournier, Winslow + one strong FA big man signing to be a TEAM of players who step in as needed.

You can improve a lot of these bad shooters into decent shooters, but they will never become elite shooters, and we just watched a team with multiple elite shooters win an nba title, so it would be nice to have some guys that have a chance at getting to that level
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#700 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:31 am

Well, two elite shooters. One of which that barely showed up.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414

Return to Orlando Magic