ImageImageImageImage

Free agency

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Re: Free agency 

Post#181 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Skin wrote:We don't need to sign any big man now. The declaration has been made. Aaron Gordon is now our PF of the future. He needs every minute to develop into one.

This logic is how young teams screw up. We have a young, future starter at every position in theory. That doesn't mean they all should be force fed starter minutes. If Gordon is the guy, he will work his way onto the floor and Ed Davis shouldn't stop that. Standing pat and waiting for all your youth to develop is a recipe for mediocrity, because they aren't all going to develop.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#182 » by Skin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

mattorl1220 wrote:
Nice shot at some minute breakdowns... These things vary night to night, but I'd probably like to see something like this.

PG- Payton 34, FA PG 8, Oladipo 6
SG- Oladipo 28, Hezonja 12, Fournier 8
SF- Harris 28, Hezonja 16, Gordon 4
PF- Gordon 28, Frye 10min, Harris 6, O'Quinn 4
C- Vucevic 34, Dedmon 8, O'Quinn 6

Ben Gordon, Harkless, and Nicholson are the ones I would put on the block. Gordon's expiring might be the most attractive of the bunch.

I wouldn't put Frye on the block because his 3pt shooting is still needed and gives us an ability to utilize the concepts of a stretch 4. Plus, he's another high character guy that knows his role.

I would like to bring back KOQ because I think he could be cheap and he's a great team chemistry guy. Also, he gives us the traditional big body PF that otherwise doesn't exist on the current roster. He could also step in and start in case of injury and we wouldn't be totally disabled. Exactly the kind of depth you want. I can't say the same for Dedmon.[/quote]

I can see something like this as well. I just can't see Frye getting only 10 min a game and fournier with 8. I still kinda believe in Harkless and Oquinn so I would like to keep them because of inujuries and they have been around the organization. So can you agree we dont have room unless room is made?[/quote]
Yeah, those aren't meant to be max minutes. Frye can get a few more minutes, but really he's just here to play a role similar to Matt Bonner. Come in the game when we need to drain 3s. Other than that, Aaron Gordon needs the bulk of the minutes if he's going to have the opportunity to become a star in this league.

Harkless will have a whole bunch on DNPs on his game log this season UNLESS there is an injury. ...and that's pretty much what he's worth.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
ChiefWiggumz
Senior
And1: 172

Post#183 » by ChiefWiggumz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Not enough minutes for Fournier. I think he can play the 2/1. I really like Fournier as a back-up SG.

Really hope we find some solid rim protection in FA. Excited to see how the rest of the offseason shakes out and up to the trade deadline.
Skin
RealGM

Post#184 » by Skin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Skin wrote:We don't need to sign any big man now. The declaration has been made. Aaron Gordon is now our PF of the future. He needs every minute to develop into one.

This logic is how young teams screw up. We have a young, future starter at every position in theory. That doesn't mean they all should be force fed starter minutes. If Gordon is the guy, he will work his way onto the floor and Ed Davis shouldn't stop that. Standing pat and waiting for all your youth to develop is a recipe for mediocrity, because they aren't all going to develop.

Debatable... Payton and Oladipo needed those kind of minutes... and it's not screwing us up.

But I still argue against a guy like Davis because you don't sign a $10M per year guy to get in Gordon's way either. You sign a guy like Ben Gordon (behind Oladipo) or Ridnour (behind Payton)...and maybe Frye is that guy already. What you don't do is give a guy coming off his rookie deal a new second contract that is a big money pay day. Gimme KOQ at $4-5M and call it a day. He knows he's a depth guy. He knows his role. He's a great teammate. You don't have to force Gordon into the situation and break him, but you need to keep the pathway clear.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Re: Re: Re: Free agency 

Post#185 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Skin wrote:
TDJacksonville wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:No thanks. He is getting older and I don't think we should invest max money in a guy who very well may be on the decline by the time our young core is ready. Plus I doubt he would even consider us. So My interest in him is minimal at best. I would rather look at the younger talent out there like Deandre Jordan or Marc Gasolor if we could pry a RFA away but if not one of them then look at medium to lower priced guys.
rather offer max to Jimmy butler Or Leonard. Or so a sign and trade like Harris+harkless+Lakers pick +???? For them

We are not going after Butler or Leonard. Enjoy the day dream though. I'm sending Oladipo to CHI in a S&T for Butler in my day dream.
doesn't hurt to try;-) I mean how else are we gonna get better outside of some rapid player development
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#186 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Skin wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

Debatable... Payton and Oladipo needed those kind of minutes... and it's not screwing us up.

But I still argue against a guy like Davis because you don't sign a $10M per year guy to get in Gordon's way either. You sign a guy like Ben Gordon (behind Oladipo) or Ridnour (behind Payton)...and maybe Frye is that guy already. What you don't do is give a guy coming off his rookie deal a new second contract that is a big money pay day. Gimme KOQ at $4-5M and call it a day. He knows he's a depth guy. He knows his role. He's a great teammate. You don't have to force Gordon into the situation and break him, but you need to keep the pathway clear.

Signing stiffs bad enough to not interfere with your chosen ones is how you stay bad and those young guys don't get pushed. Staying young and refusing to build through free agency usually spoils the young players. They don't continue to improve and usually they and the team level off. You need to bring in a mix of good contributing vets to drive and push the youth, and also to keep the team on an upward trajectory.

I agree you probably don't want to go out and throw max money at some guy blocking a good young talent, but 10 million a year is a year or two from being a middling contract. In 2 years a quality third big at 10 million a year will look like a bargain. It is time for this team to start moving toward playoff contention so these guys don't get accustomed to losing. And that won't happen by hiding your checkbook and praying all of your youth pans.

If Gordon is going to become the guy we want him to be, Ed Davis won't stop that. In fact, playing with and against Davis instead of KOQ makes him more likely to become that great player.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#187 » by drsd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Jiwol wrote:You keep to undervalue not only the growth of our players but also the Skiles effect. Besides we majorly upgrade our bench in this scenario .... We need to prove worthy and that's what upcoming season is gonna be about. What's more we got more and moreassets needed to make a significant trade. This season will be exciting in a positive way, book it.

These are all the key points. And are the point that define GM Hennigan's legacy.

Skin
RealGM

Post#188 » by Skin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

Signing stiffs bad enough to not interfere with your chosen ones is how you stay bad and those young guys don't get pushed. Staying young and refusing to build through free agency usually spoils the young players. They don't continue to improve and usually they and the team level off. You need to bring in a mix of good contributing vets to drive and push the youth, and also to keep the team on an upward trajectory.

I agree you probably don't want to go out and throw max money at some guy blocking a good young talent, but 10 million a year is a year or two from being a middling contract. In 2 years a quality third big at 10 million a year will look like a bargain. It is time for this team to start moving toward playoff contention so these guys don't get accustomed to losing. And that won't happen by hiding your checkbook and praying all of your youth pans.

If Gordon is going to become the guy we want him to be, Ed Davis won't stop that. In fact, playing with and against Davis instead of KOQ makes him more likely to become that great player.

I can see your point. We shall see.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Post#189 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Cammo101 wrote:This logic is how young teams screw up. We have a young, future starter at every position in theory. That doesn't mean they all should be force fed starter minutes. If Gordon is the guy, he will work his way onto the floor and Ed Davis shouldn't stop that. Standing pat and waiting for all your youth to develop is a recipe for mediocrity, because they aren't all going to develop.

This. 100 times over.

Aaron Gordon (or Mario Hezonja for that matter) shouldn't be handed anything in terms of minutes. I don't really think this will be an issue under Skiles anyway. Yes, Gordon should play, but he absolutely needs to earn his minutes. The quickest way for a guy to develop bad habits is to not hold him accountable. For all intents and purposes the "rebuild" ended the day they fired Jacque. Skiles was brought here to win games and force feeding minutes to 20 year olds that haven't earned them/aren't ready for them isn't the way to do that.

Now depending on how free agency shakes out I think it's certainly possible that Gordon IS the best PF on the roster come opening night. But none of us should be up in arms if he's not starting. He's going to be all of 20 years old with less than 800 minutes under his belt when the season starts.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#190 » by tooler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:20 pm

FWIW, some penny-pincher asked Kevin Pelton today in his chat whether the magic should take David Lee and GSW's 1st round pick. Pelton thought that if they were going to actually play Lee, it would only block Aaron Gordon's minutes. So at least some analysts are ready for Aaron to play.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#191 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 pm

tooler wrote:FWIW, some penny-pincher asked Kevin Pelton today in his chat whether the magic should take David Lee and GSW's 1st round pick. Pelton thought that if they were going to actually play Lee, it would only block Aaron Gordon's minutes. So at least some analysts are ready for Aaron to play.

I wouldn't trade for Lee and start him either. He's not the same player he once was and is a horrible fit next to Vuc. That doesn't mean we shouldn't improve.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#192 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Here is an updated version of a post I made pre-draft:

Using a mix of info available from Shamsports, Basketball-Reference, Hoopshype, NBA.com and SpoTrac; this is a general estimate of the Magic's salary cap situation for the upcoming free agency.

Based on this information:

• If the Magic do not pick up Ben Gordon's Team Option that adds $4,500,000 to their cap space. This would bring their available cap space up to 12,321,775

• If the Magic renounce their rights on Willie Green, Jeremy Richardson and Fran Vasquez. This would make available another $3,859,352 bringing the potentially available cap space up to 16,181,127

The Magic can sign a free agent up to 16,181,127 and then resign both of their Restricted Free Agents: Tobias Harris and Kyle O'Quinn above the salary cap line as they hold both of their Bird Rights. If either Harris or O'Quinn receive offer sheets (prior to the Magic signing a free agent) then the amount needed to match the offers sheets would be deducted from this available cap space.

If the Magic do not match Harris or O'Quinn, then their cap hold is released adding to the Magic available cap space:

• If they do not match Kyle O'Quinn that releases 1,181,348 for a total of 17,362,475 in available cap space.

• If the Magic do not match Tobias Harris, that releases 5,951,485 for a total of 22,132,612 in available cap space.

• If they do not match either Harris or O'Quinn that creates a total of 23,313,960 in available cap space.

Projected 2015-16 Max Contract:
0-6 years in NBA: 15.8 million
6+ years in NBA: 18.9 to 22.1 million
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#193 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Give ed Davis 4 years at 10 mil or so. Use him as our starting pf and "under-sized" center.

Sign Kirk hinrich to a 1 year w.e prize.

Match or sign and trade Harris for a replacement sf.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#194 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:11 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Ed Davis feels like he should be the guy. Good dirty work PF who is a solid defender and shot blocker. He feels like the guy we should be targeting.

Agree and let's get Cory Joseph too. :D

Payton/Joseph/S Curry
Oladipo/Fournier/Harvey
Harris/Henzonja/Marble
Davis/AG/Frye
Vooch/Dedmon/Dalembert
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#195 » by MoMM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Did we pick up Dedmon and Marble's Team Option?
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 894

Post#196 » by mattyBoi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:42 am

I would like to see us go hard after Milsap. I don't care for O'Quinn, I'd be fine with matching Harris after signing someone like Milsap. The cap is going to be so high the following year that it won't matter. That Frye signing still irks me.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#197 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:12 am

Anyone think we should go after Tristan Thompson? If the Cavs do sign Love to a max I wonder if they are willing to pay Thompson a lot to keep him.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: 

Post#198 » by tiderulz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:14 am

TDJacksonville wrote:Give ed Davis 4 years at 10 mil or so. Use him as our starting pf and "under-sized" center.

Sign Kirk hinrich to a 1 year w.e prize.

Match or sign and trade Harris for a replacement sf.

wow, Ed Davis isnt worth that at all, and i like his game. but no way would i sign him to that
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: 

Post#199 » by tiderulz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:15 am

Bigmagicfan82 wrote:Anyone think we should go after Tristan Thompson? If the Cavs do sign Love to a max I wonder if they are willing to pay Thompson a lot to keep him.

absolutely awesome rebounder, average to below average defender and no offensive game whatsoever. He already turned down $13mil/yr and I wouldnt even pay him that much
DontPushMe
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#200 » by DontPushMe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:24 am

We're still holding Fran at 1.9/year? Would he even be worth taking if he wanted to come over at this point? Feel like it's time to let that one go
You know the boy posts on realgm. The boy definitly posts on realgm.

Return to Orlando Magic