ImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon sighting?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Re: Aaron Gordon sighting? 

Post#21 » by fendilim » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Destin wrote:you guys are talking about and posting pictures of a 19 year old boy's body

barely legal...
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#22 » by ivDT » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 pm

awesome.

so once aaron gordon puts on, oh, 20, 25 or 30 pounds (basically, the difference between your average center and average small forward...) he'll literally become a combination of blake griffin on offense and draymond green on defense.

sign me up.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 pm

fendilim wrote:
Destin wrote:you guys are talking about and posting pictures of a 19 year old boy's body

barely legal...

not only that.. beach pics!!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#24 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:22 pm

He doesn't need to do anything. He is very strong as he is now. Very athletic. Just focus on his skills.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#25 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Here's what a tweener is to me. Body type equals one positions, statistical spread (ratio of points, rebounds, steals, blocks, etc) equals that of another position. Gordon is a SF body type with a PF statistical spread.

I do physical training p/t and at 220, Gordon is 20 pounds behind Blake when he was drafted. Adding weight is very difficult for most professional athletes that do sports like basketball, where there is an incredible amount of cardio involved in practice. There's also very limited rest. That's why NBA trainers pack in most bulking during the offseason, where a player can rest and can cut down on the cardio work for about 6 weeks before starting back on conditioning work. If you've ever tried to gain weight and keep it on, you know it's hard to do, let alone do it in about 6 weeks.

Gordon put on 13 pounds in the last 3 years. He was weight in 2011 at the All-American I believe at 207. He's 220.

It's tough to expect an athlete to put on more than 5 pounds a year, and that is hard enough.
ivDT
RealGM

Post#26 » by ivDT » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:43 pm

glad to see that someone out there understands how insane this "oh, he just needs to add 20 pounds" talk actually is.

aaron is quick enough to guard 3s and even 2s. he's a 3. assuming we don't do anything stupid with his development, aaron also has the potential to be one of the league's elite defenders at that position. anyone who doubts the value of having such a player versus having, say, the next draymond green (hate that this is coming up now. green is criminally overrated and some people are too trendy for their own good...) need only re-watch this year's finals.

on offense, he's still a 3, albeit an offensively limited one at the moment. we'd do well to simply allow him to work on his offensive game to the point where other defenders at the 3 have to respect him. that obviously is a lot less drastic than what the "aaron is a 4" crowd is proposing.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#27 » by tooler » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:55 pm

ivDT wrote:he's a 3

You're doing the same thing you're railing against. Just stop.

He's a 3/4 that can switch onto 1s and 2s.

People are wondering about how he'd do at the 4 because that position is currently a disaster for us right now, and we're wondering if he could work next to Tobias. That doesn't mean he needs to be put into a box at age 19. It may all become moot when free agency starts anyway.
MagicMatty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#28 » by MagicMatty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 pm

OrlandO wrote:He's a ripped dude... It's probably going to take him a few years to actually put on some noticeable weight. I remember him saying he has to eat a ton just to maintain his weight. I just want him to focus on getting stronger. The extra 15 or so pounds will naturally come in time. Anyway, if Amir Johnson, who came into the league at 6'9 and 210 pounds, could play PF, then I don't see why AG couldn't.

Not buying it! It's just the summer bod :D
ivDT
RealGM

Post#29 » by ivDT » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 pm

tooler wrote:
ivDT wrote:he's a 3

You're doing the same thing you're railing against. Just stop.

He's a 3/4 that can switch onto 1s and 2s.

not budging, sorry. he's a 3. maybe he's slide over to the 4 on occasions. ok.

the main point i wanted to make is that it is literally insane to have him bulk up as if he's naturally predestined to play the 4 as his primary position. he isn't.

People are wondering about how he'd do at the 4 because that position is currently a disaster for us right now, and we're wondering if he could work next to Tobias.

the question answers itself. of course it wouldn't work. what's there's to wonder about? you guys seriously can't see the problem with a frontcourt of harris, gordon and vucevic?

That doesn't mean he needs to be put into a box at age 19.

"put in a box", he says. ffs, the guy's a 3. it's obvious and all i'm doing is saying so.

It may all become moot when free agency starts anyway.

not "may". will. we're going to have to address our lack of rim protection at some point and unless we intend to move vuc, that means we're likely going after another 4-man.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#30 » by tooler » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:21 pm

ivDT wrote:the question answers itself. of course it wouldn't work. what's there's to wonder about? you guys seriously can't see the problem with a frontcourt of harris, gordon and vucevic?

Christ, I wouldn't mind some real analysis around here instead of endless trolling and taunting people for getting a little too excited. Post it up, Captain Obvious.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#31 » by KillMonger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:30 pm

AG is a 3/4 Henny pretty much said it himself, AG is incredibly versatile i've watched him guard point guards pretty well all the way up to Power forwards he's the real deal defensively. Offensively he has the tools he just has to put it together, AG doesn't have to be this big hulking guy to play the PF position he just has to be strong and disciplined defensively plus there really isn't that many "back to the basket" pf's these days anyway.
ivDT
RealGM

Post#32 » by ivDT » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:AG is a 3/4 Henny pretty much said it himself...

whatever. you're also missing the point. i think he's best suited to the 3, but even i don't disagree with the idea that we can play him at either forward spots. i just can't go along with this idea that he needs to be 240~245 pounds like so many people seem to think.

AG is incredibly versatile i've watched him guard point guards pretty well all the way up to Power forwards he's the real deal defensively. Offensively he has the tools he just has to put it together, AG doesn't have to be this big hulking guy to play the PF position he just has to be strong and disciplined defensively plus there really isn't that many "back to the basket" pf's these days anyway.

agreed. so, why then the need to put on another 20 pounds like so many others have suggested? 20 more pounds puts him right around the league average for a power forward. why is that necessary? how is it even a good idea?

aaron's length and athleticism already makes him versatile enough to defend positions beyond his ideal position at the 3. the 3, by the way, being the position where he has the most potential to become an elite defender. (tell me if that's too controversial or "trolling".)

anything that might even slightly jeopardize this should be a non-starter. you don't blow your chance at having a player like that on your roster just so you can _maybe_ turn him into the latest cutesy gimmick forward ala draymond green or whomever. especially when it makes no sense for how you team is currently constructed. last i checked, draymond plays next to andrew bogut and festus ezeli. where are the players like that on our roster?
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#33 » by KillMonger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:14 pm

ivDT wrote:
Immature Luigi wrote:AG is a 3/4 Henny pretty much said it himself...

whatever. you're also missing the point. i think he's best suited to the 3, but even i don't disagree with the idea that we can play him at either forward spots. i just can't go along with this idea that he needs to be 240~245 pounds like so many people seem to think.

AG is incredibly versatile i've watched him guard point guards pretty well all the way up to Power forwards he's the real deal defensively. Offensively he has the tools he just has to put it together, AG doesn't have to be this big hulking guy to play the PF position he just has to be strong and disciplined defensively plus there really isn't that many "back to the basket" pf's these days anyway.

agreed. so, why then the need to put on another 20 pounds like so many others have suggested? 20 more pounds puts him right around the league average for a power forward. why is that necessary? how is it even a good idea?

aaron's length and athleticism already makes him versatile enough to defend positions beyond his ideal position at the 3. the 3, by the way, being the position where he has the most potential to become an elite defender. (tell me if that's too controversial or "trolling".)

anything that might even slightly jeopardize this should be a non-starter. you don't blow your chance at having a player like that on your roster just so you can _maybe_ turn him into the latest cutesy gimmick forward ala draymond green or whomever. especially when it makes no sense for how you team is currently constructed. last i checked, draymond plays next to andrew bogut and festus ezeli. where are the players like that on our roster?

i never said he has to put on 20-30 pounds BUT i do think he should put on some just not to that extent, i fully expect him to be a 3/4 in the league period because it keeps us versatile.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Re: Re: Aaron Gordon sighting? 

Post#34 » by Neon1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:09 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Here's what a tweener is to me. Body type equals one positions, statistical spread (ratio of points, rebounds, steals, blocks, etc) equals that of another position. Gordon is a SF body type with a PF statistical spread.

I do physical training p/t and at 220, Gordon is 20 pounds behind Blake when he was drafted. Adding weight is very difficult for most professional athletes that do sports like basketball, where there is an incredible amount of cardio involved in practice. There's also very limited rest. That's why NBA trainers pack in most bulking during the offseason, where a player can rest and can cut down on the cardio work for about 6 weeks before starting back on conditioning work. If you've ever tried to gain weight and keep it on, you know it's hard to do, let alone do it in about 6 weeks.

Gordon put on 13 pounds in the last 3 years. He was weight in 2011 at the All-American I believe at 207. He's 220.

It's tough to expect an athlete to put on more than 5 pounds a year, and that is hard enough.

Gordon was closer to 30 pounds behind then 20. Blake was pushing 250 at the combine.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Re: Re: Aaron Gordon sighting? 

Post#35 » by Neon1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm

ivDT wrote:the question answers itself. of course it wouldn't work. what's there's to wonder about? you guys seriously can't see the problem with a frontcourt of harris, gordon and vucevic?

To be fair, you gotta see the problem with a Payton/Oladipo/Gordon.
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#36 » by seeingstars » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:38 pm

We're going to end up trading Dipo and Harris by the trade deadline for Nerlens Noel, picks, and salary trade fluff. I just have a feeling Hezonja will be best at 2 where his height makes a difference and Aaron will be a 3 where he'll be able to terrorize on D all around the perimeter & the key and Noel would help on weak side. Just s gut feeling, probably indigestion.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#37 » by KillMonger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 pm

seeingstars wrote:We're going to end up trading Dipo and Harris by the trade deadline for Nerlens Noel, picks, and salary trade fluff. I just have a feeling Hezonja will be best at 2 where his height makes a difference and Aaron will be a 3 where he'll be able to terrorize on D all around the perimeter & the key and Noel would help on weak side. Just s gut feeling, probably indigestion.

Hezonja will be fine he can play both 2 and 3 and dipo isn't going anywhere he and payton are the future man, maybe some Alka-Seltzer will help with that indigestion.
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#38 » by seeingstars » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:
seeingstars wrote:We're going to end up trading Dipo and Harris by the trade deadline for Nerlens Noel, picks, and salary trade fluff. I just have a feeling Hezonja will be best at 2 where his height makes a difference and Aaron will be a 3 where he'll be able to terrorize on D all around the perimeter & the key and Noel would help on weak side. Just s gut feeling, probably indigestion.

Hezonja will be fine he can play both 2 and 3 and dipo isn't going anywhere he and payton are the future man, maybe some Alka-Seltzer will help with that indigestion.

I love our team and our options. Really wish we could start 6 players. If Hezonja and Gordon are both 3s , who comes off the bench in 2 years.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#39 » by KillMonger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 pm

seeingstars wrote:
Immature Luigi wrote:

I love our team and our options. Really wish we could start 6 players. If Hezonja and Gordon are both 3s , who comes off the bench in 2 years.

nice problem to have, we'll figure it out
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#40 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:12 pm

6v6 basketball, david silver get on it plz

Return to Orlando Magic