ImageImageImageImage

Woj - Magic Decline Ben Gordon's Option

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Re: Re: Woj - Magic Decline Ben Gordon's Option 

Post#41 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:46 pm

silent1900 wrote:So what happened to, "Henny is a genius for signing him for that much because we can use his contract in an even more genius trade!!!"?
is this a serious post? Literaly nobody said that. Who are the posters that said Henny is a genius for signing Ben Gordon? What's happening right now is precisely the reason why most logical people, which obviously doesn't include you, didn't think this was a big deal. I don't even know why you post here. How stupid could you be?
ChiefWiggumz
Senior
And1: 172

Re: Woj - Magic Decline Ben Gordon's Option 

Post#42 » by ChiefWiggumz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 pm

I thought we had more cap space than that. I'd assume offers for Tobias will be around $14 million per year, right?

Doesn't give us much wiggle room.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#43 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 am

ChiefWiggumz wrote:I thought we had more cap space than that. I'd assume offers for Tobias will be around $14 million per year, right?

Doesn't give us much wiggle room.

We can go over to re-sign our own players. I'm trying to find out if timing is important here or if we have all summer to use our cap space even if we match an offer sheet early.
MrShow
Pro Prospect
And1: 419

Post#44 » by MrShow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:31 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
silent1900 wrote:So what happened to, "Henny is a genius for signing him for that much because we can use his contract in an even more genius trade!!!"?
is this a serious post? Literaly nobody said that. Who are the posters that said Henny is a genius for signing Ben Gordon? What's happening right now is precisely the reason why most logical people, which obviously doesn't include you, didn't think this was a big deal. I don't even know why you post here. How stupid could you be?

I'm pretty sure someone did say that here. Can't remember where, but it was said. I didn't think the signing was a big deal either and our rookies, because of BG's apparent hard work, probably learned a thing or two.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Post#45 » by eyriq » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:34 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Ouch, pretty harsh. Let's keep posts focused on content rather than posters, please.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#46 » by purpleswordfish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

To be fair to silent1900, there were a lot of people viewing the Ben Gordon signing as a low risk "trade chip" deal. At the trade deadline this year, he was thrown in to match salaries on a lot of crazy deals that people were putting together. Heck, there was a thread last week calling Ben Gordon's contract a valuable trade chip (unsure of the exact wording).

Sure, there were a lot of people that saw this for what it ended up being - low risk signing of a guy who might be able to provide some offense off the bench (he did). But, there were a lot that thought Hennigan had some trick up his sleeve due to the inflated salary and team option.
tooler
General Manager

Post#47 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:To be fair to silent1900...

I don't think we should be fair to blatant trolling. There are a lot of noisy and unnecessary callouts on this forum that are really tedious.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#48 » by fendilim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

To be fair to silent1900, there were a lot of people viewing the Ben Gordon signing as a low risk "trade chip" deal. At the trade deadline this year, he was thrown in to match salaries on a lot of crazy deals that people were putting together. Heck, there was a thread last week calling Ben Gordon's contract a valuable trade chip (unsure of the exact wording).

Sure, there were a lot of people that saw this for what it ended up being - low risk signing of a guy who might be able to provide some offense off the bench (he did). But, there were a lot that thought Hennigan had some trick up his sleeve due to the inflated salary and team option.
Yup. Pretty sure it was seen as a trade chip by most, honestly, I wasn't the only one who did. Also seen as a deal for us to easily reach the salary floor.
tooler
General Manager

Post#49 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm

fendilim wrote:Yup. Pretty sure it was seen as a potential trade chip by most, honestly, I wasn't the only one who did. Also seen as a deal for us to easily reach the salary floor.

Fixed that for you.

It didn't work out. No big deal. The only reason to call people out and taunt them, as if the plan was set in stone, is if you want to be a jerk.
TodGre
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#50 » by TodGre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 pm

That $14 million in cap space the Magic are up to now, is that before or after resigning Tobias? Sounds like if we resign Tobias we will have little money aside from the MLE to side any FA's. I'm surprised we don't have more than $14 mil available for 2015-16 however, especially considering Vuc is our highest paid player currently and only player being paid at/over $10mil/yr.
tooler
General Manager

Post#51 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:55 pm

TodGre wrote:That $14 million in cap space the Magic are up to now, is that before or after resigning Tobias? Sounds like if we resign Tobias we will have little money aside from the MLE to side any FA's. I'm surprised we don't have more than $14 mil available for 2015-16 however, especially considering Vuc is our highest paid player currently and only player being paid at/over $10mil/yr.

It's before resigning him. So they can sign a FA outright and then sign Tobias to go over the cap.

It is weird we don't have more space, but we have so many first round picks on the roster and they tend to add up more than a bunch of stiffs at the minimum like a team like New York has.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#52 » by ezzzp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 pm

The Magic can create more salary cap space by renouncing their free agent Willie Green and still unrenounced FA Jeremy Richardson + their rights to Fran Vasquez. This would clear away their cap holds and make available another $3.9 million.

They can also pull O'Quinn's qualifying offer and renounce him. That would clear another 1 million. This seems like a last resort type of move as his cap hold hit is only a little over 1 million.

Devin Marble's salary (0.85m) for next season becomes guaranteed October 28, 2015. It is unclear if he'll be back, but technically they can also waive and renounce him to clear yet another 1 million.

So without any really serious roster changes, the Magic can add approximately another $6 million in cap space.

• Dedmon's salary for next year (0.95m) becomes guaranteed on August 1, 2015. So that number will come into play as well as I'm sure Magic are keeping him.
tooler
General Manager

Post#53 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

I assume most of this will be resolved by the second week of July.

Does Tobias currently have a QO?

Return to Orlando Magic