ImageImageImageImage

moving oladipo back to pg?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Re: moving oladipo back to pg? 

Post#21 » by Catledge » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 am

tooler wrote:
Catledge wrote:It's that I think Payton's lack of shooting and poor paint finishing outweigh his passing.

The other way to deal with this is give him the damn ball instead of handing it to Oladipo with 18 on the shot clock to run a high-PnR from the right corner. Instead let Elfrid bend the defense one way and give Vic a head start on a secondary PnR.

On paper I agree with you. It looked awful late last season when teams abandoned Elfrid in the corner so Oladipo could drive straight into the heart of the defense for some dumb reason. But there are ways to make it work, and most metrics say we're better with him on the court.

Like I mentioned in the lineups thread, I'd still like to reduce his minutes back to 30 MPG and get him to up the intensity on defense.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, changes with regard to lineups and play calling. I think competent offensive coaching can make up for the absence of a pass-first pg better than it can make up for a lack of shooting.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#22 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 am

That would be a hell to the no. Victor is not going to replace EP with the way he finished his season. Like many here, I would not be opposed to bring him off the bench as a PG but he is too good for that. I had nightmares when we ran our offense through Victor. We would score/get a good shot in like 1-5 possessions.

We tried this experiment his rookie year as well as times throughout this season and failed miserably. As of right now, he is our starting SG with a good future but not a PG. Lets sign Jarrett Jack or bring back Jameer as our PG off the bench and let Elf run his team. Next year I think its when he establishes himself as the captain of this team. Im very excited to see him next year.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#23 » by MellowRose » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:29 am

OrlandoDream wrote:That would be a hell to the no. Victor is not going to replace EP with the way he finished his season. Like many here, I would not be opposed to bring him off the bench as a PG but he is too good for that. I had nightmares when we ran our offense through Victor. We would score/get a good shot in like 1-5 possessions.

We tried this experiment his rookie year as well as times throughout this season and failed miserably. As of right now, he is our starting SG with a good future but not a PG. Lets sign Jarrett Jack or bring back Jameer as our PG off the bench and let Elf run his team. Next year I think its when he establishes himself as the captain of this team. Im very excited to see him next year.

Who said anything about Oladipo replacing Elf?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#24 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:33 am

Catledge.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#25 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:45 am

Imo we should bring hezonja off the bench to start but if he turns out really good then thats a good problem to have and well just figure it out from there.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#26 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 am

Maybe with the second unit but I would prefer The Magic bring in a veteran backup point guard to play behind Elfrid Payton this summer.

Having Oladipo could mean The Magic won't need to have a third string point guard though.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#27 » by drsd » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 am

Devin 1L wrote:Hezonja - 2/3
Fournier - 2/3
Harris - 3/4
Gordon - 3/4
Oladipo - 2/1

With both playing big minutes at PF last year:
O'Quinn 4/5
Dedmon 4/5

With a con tuned focus on the long-ball:
Harkless 2/3

Heck, I see scenarios where Payton can play off the ball.
Payton 1/2

That is nine players that have no one position.

purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#28 » by purpleswordfish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm with MellowRose on this one. Oladipo playing backup minutes at PG wouldn't be such a bad idea. He looked a good deal better at PG this year and it'd free up a roster spot instead of getting a 2nd or 3rd PG.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#29 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Maybe with the second unit but I would prefer The Magic bring in a veteran backup point guard to play behind Elfrid Payton this summer.

Mentorship is still needed for the young fella. He's still got lots to learn, and a vet 2nd/3rd string PG can give him personalized attention, more than Coach can dedicate to 1 player.

Howard Mass wrote:Having Oladipo could mean The Magic won't need to have a third string point guard though.

And if Payton or Dipo get injured for an extended period of time .... ?

drsd wrote:That is nine players that have no one position.

This is both good/bad for me -- for me as of now, I'm leaning more towards "this concerns me" rather than "flexibility is good". Not having clear cut position players many time leads rotating lineups with a lack of stability. But the offseason just started.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#30 » by The Other Ankle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:31 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:I'm with MellowRose on this one. Oladipo playing backup minutes at PG wouldn't be such a bad idea. He looked a good deal better at PG this year and it'd free up a roster spot instead of getting a 2nd or 3rd PG.

Big logjam at the 2 if Dipo doesn't play back-up 1. Plus, I think they like him there for some part of his minutes anyway. Elfrid is the PG when he plays. But if Dipo can attack and kick it opens up lot's of minutes versus playing him only at the two.

If they target a pricey free-agent PG, then somethings got to give with the wing rotation. Someone that we think or hope is worthy of minutes will either sit or get traded. We have Dipo, Evan, Mario, Marble, and Tyler Harvey now. So if Dipo (and hopefully Harvey) can play some 1, there will be way more minutes at the 2 for these guys.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

moving oladipo back to pg? 

Post#31 » by tooler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm willing to write off Marble and Harvey. Just finding minutes for our first round picks will be hard enough. I guess we did find a way to give Ben, Luke, and Willie 14-18 MPG, though only about 50 games each.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#32 » by Tayswagzzz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:50 pm

He'll get play time at the 1. Skiles will help him play that position better as well, I'm sure. Probably learned a thing or two from Payton too :)
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#33 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:48 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:Maybe with the second unit but I would prefer The Magic bring in a veteran backup point guard to play behind Elfrid Payton this summer.

Mentorship is still needed for the young fella. He's still got lots to learn, and a vet 2nd/3rd string PG can give him personalized attention, more than Coach can dedicate to 1 player.

Howard Mass wrote:Having Oladipo could mean The Magic won't need to have a third string point guard though.

And if Payton or Dipo get injured for an extended period of time .... ?

This is both good/bad for me -- for me as of now, I'm leaning more towards "this concerns me" rather than "flexibility is good". Not having clear cut position players many time leads rotating lineups with a lack of stability. But the offseason just started.

I'd prefer they have a third-string point guard but not sure The Magic will go that way.

MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#34 » by MrOrlando » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Only move him to PG in spurts, not permanently. Hezonja hasn't even played a game yet, let's back it up here a little bit.

Depending on if we keep Tobias or not, I assume the line up will be:

Elf/Dipo/Tobias/Frye/Vuc

Then when Elf sits, for small stretch/between quarters we could do:

Dipo/Fournier/Tobias/Frye/Vuc

When it's Dipo's turn to take a breather just before the middle of the second quarter:

Payton/Fournier/Hezonja/Gordon/Dedmon

Depending on how they're doing out there, bring Dipo back in to SG:

Payton/Dipo/Hezonja/Tobias/Vuc

I think our best scoring line up would be Dipo/Fournier/Hezonja/Tobias/Vuc
drsd
RealGM

Post#35 » by drsd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:55 pm

mhectorgato wrote:

I am deeply concerned about the EGO effect. A team can only have 2 or max-3 egos. There is to many players fighting for to few minutes. I worry that this ping-pong approach to create minutes can work because giving 9 players 20 minutes each is not a proven path towards winning.

nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#36 » by nicnac215 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:06 pm

drsd wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:

I am deeply concerned about the EGO effect. A team can only have 2 or max-3 egos. There is to many players fighting for to few minutes. I worry that this ping-pong approach to create minutes can work because giving 9 players 20 minutes each is not a proven path towards winning.

You must have short term memory loss. The Spurs in 2013-2014 had no players play 30mpg and had 8 players play over 20mpg. Didn't rob come from the spurs franchise? I see a similar roll and system to what the Spurs built. An organically grown team with high character players.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#37 » by SOUL » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
drsd wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:This is both good/bad for me -- for me as of now, I'm leaning more towards "this concerns me" rather than "flexibility is good". Not having clear cut position players many time leads rotating lineups with a lack of stability. But the offseason just started.

You must have short term memory loss. The Spurs in 2013-2014 had no players play 30mpg and had 8 players play over 20mpg. Didn't rob come from the spurs franchise? I see a similar roll and system to what the Spurs built. An organically grown team with high character players.

Trying to mold your team into something it isn't is a disaster. We'll have our own style, we do not have a Tim Duncan or a Popovich and have a vastly different skillset of players (athleticism with a lot of defensive potential).
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:52 am

Howard Mass wrote:I'd prefer they have a third-string point guard but not sure The Magic will go that way.

With Peyton Siva on the Orlando Magic Blue roster, GM Hennigan might have his sights on him as the 3rd stringer.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#39 » by Howard Mass » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:55 am

drsd wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I'd prefer they have a third-string point guard but not sure The Magic will go that way.

With Peyton Siva on the Orlando Magic Blue roster, GM Hennigan might have his sights on him as the 3rd stringer.

Very true. You never know.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,238

Post#40 » by eyriq » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:14 am

drsd wrote:

That did raise my eyebrows

Return to Orlando Magic