ImageImageImageImage

Rank our players handles

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Re: Rank our players handles 

Post#21 » by ivDT » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:29 pm

Skin wrote:Can't believe Aaron Gordon is going to be wasted as a PF. He could've been the next Kawhi Leonard.

nothing's written in stone yet.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#22 » by fendilim » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:25 pm

ivDT wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Skin wrote:Can't believe Aaron Gordon is going to be wasted as a PF. He could've been the next Kawhi Leonard.

BEsides his handles, what suggests that he is a sf?

i'd be curious to know what suggests he's a power forward. we know it isn't his physique since damn near all of the people that want him at that position think he's 20 pounds too light. so far, the only thing i've heard is that he's a poor outside shooter. this may be true, but the same could be said for andrew wiggins.

Because hE is better suited playing the 4. In fact, most of his best games were when he played the four/five for us.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#23 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:39 pm

But why is he better suited there in your opinion?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#24 » by J-Ville Smoke » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:59 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:But why is he better suited there in your opinion?

Because he's a power forward.

"But what makes you say that?"

Because he's better suited there.

AD INFINITUM

This is usually the argument people make on here for Gordon, one way or the other.
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#25 » by Skin » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:06 pm

J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

This is usually the argument people make on here for Gordon, one way or the other.

:lol: Awesome.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#26 » by Skin » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:10 pm

Maybe investigation into this can help us...

How many 220 pound PFs are successful in this league?

Are there any good examples of players who came into the league <= 220 pounds sporting an athletic build who have made the kind of successful transition that we are hoping Gordon can make into a PF?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#27 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:16 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

Except for the people that say he's a SF who actually give sound and rational reasons as to why they feel that way :wink:
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#28 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:40 am

I like AG as a 4 because I can see him being a Blake Griffin type of PF. They both have Guard handles and are athletic as hell. He also has great potential to be a finisher around the basket and can add a post up game. He's not a great shooter either.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#29 » by otownflava21 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:02 am

If Lamar Odom can play power forward so can AG. I dont know why people underestimate his strength and athleticism.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#30 » by fendilim » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:20 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:
J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

Except for the people that say he's a SF who actually give sound and rational reasons as to why they feel that way :wink:

I don't think you can argue that his best games were when he played the 4 because those are results. lol but anyway, he is a tremendous around the rim player and his inconsistent outside shot is killing our offensive spacing. His handles may be good for a SF but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a SF. He is limited by his range to play in the perimeter, IMO.

This were the comments on him, by experts, before the draft last year:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/06/22/choice-nba-position-will-crucial-with-aaron-gordon/bm1DkRBEpAaMAgDPadDpsN/story.html

“The problem with him, the thing that I don’t like is that he doesn’t know who he is,” said another Eastern Conference executive. “So when the coach tells him who he is, maybe that will help, but he thinks he’s a [small forward]. He wants to push the ball. He wants to cross people over. I’m like, ‘Dude, stay in your lane. Do what you do. Seriously. You want to help us win, you have to rebound and run the court.’

“See, he thinks he’s a small forward,” said one Western Conference scout. “That’s not what he is.”

Gordon played small forward at Arizona, where he averaged 12.4 points and 8 rebounds per game as the Wildcats advanced to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight.

“That’s the reason he went to Arizona,” said another Western Conference scout. “They promised him he could be a [small forward], and they did. They put him out there, I think, to the detriment of their team.”

What now?

“If he embraces what he does really well, which is run, jump, play with energy, play above the rim, he’s going to have a phenomenal NBA career,” said an Eastern Conference scout. “If he wants to prove to everyone that he’s a wing and he can shoot, then I think you’re going to have some problems, a la Derrick Williams.”

The 6-8 Williams also played at Arizona, where he spent a fair amount of time on the wing. He was drafted second overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2011, and has struggled in three NBA seasons, averaging 9.6 points in his career.

“[Gordon] is not Derrick, but when Derrick made his rounds with lottery teams, he was telling everyone, ‘I’m a small forward. I’m not an undersized power forward,’ ” the Eastern Conference scout said.

“Aaron is taller of course, but Aaron’s best attributes are an incredible, incredible motor, his athleticism, his ability to run the floor and play above the rim. But if he thinks he’s something more than that, I think you have a little bit of a problem on your hands.”

“See, he thinks he’s a small forward,” said one Western Conference scout. “That’s not what he is.”
http://www.nba.com/draft/2014/prospects/aaron_gordon/
David Aldridge's Big Board 2014: Power Forwards | Rank: No. 2
TNT Analyst David Aldridge breaks down the top prospects at each position
Arizona's Aaron Gordon doesn't approach Randle's strength, but the Wildcats' freshman may play harder than anyone in the Draft. The 18-year-old is a special athlete, who showed above the rim explosiveness on a nightly basis, leading Arizona to the Elite Eight after having to move to power forward during the season because of an injury to starter Brandon Ashley. His work ethic made Arizona's practices better, and his hops made him play bigger than his listed 6-9.

These experts are basically saying he is better suited playing PF and I think these comments have stayed true based on how he played last year. In fact, he won us more than one game when he played at the 4.

I don't see any reason why we'd put him in a position where he'd be less effective. He is a good offensive rebounder, good speed for a SF but better at PF, plays better above the rim, has good defensive instincts for a PF. I don't see any reason why he should be a SF other than his size and ability to play defense on the perimeter. Care to explain why he should be an SF?

edit: best games if I may add 2 of his best games were in November when we played against the Wolves and the Bucks, also there was also a notable game against the Rockets, IIRC, where he played the 5 (when we went with a smaller lineup).
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#31 » by Baka_La Flame » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:26 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

Lol I don't know when people are going to get it through their heads that he can play both positions. It just depends on the match up. Same with Kawhii and Draymon. He's a combo forward but I guess that word has a stigma attached to it.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#32 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:00 am

otownflava21 wrote:If Lamar Odom can play power forward so can AG. I dont know why people underestimate his strength and athleticism.

Odom was way longer and a better rebounder
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#33 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:36 am

fendilim wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

I don't think you can argue that his best games were when he played the 4 because those are results. lol but anyway, he is a tremendous around the rim player and his inconsistent outside shot is killing our offensive spacing. His handles may be good for a SF but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a SF. He is limited by his range to play in the perimeter, IMO.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/06/22/choice-nba-position-will-crucial-with-aaron-gordon/bm1DkRBEpAaMAgDPadDpsN/story.html

“The problem with him, the thing that I don’t like is that he doesn’t know who he is,” said another Eastern Conference executive. “So when the coach tells him who he is, maybe that will help, but he thinks he’s a [small forward]. He wants to push the ball. He wants to cross people over. I’m like, ‘Dude, stay in your lane. Do what you do. Seriously. You want to help us win, you have to rebound and run the court.’

Gordon played small forward at Arizona, where he averaged 12.4 points and 8 rebounds per game as the Wildcats advanced to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight.

“That’s the reason he went to Arizona,” said another Western Conference scout. “They promised him he could be a [small forward], and they did. They put him out there, I think, to the detriment of their team.”

What now?

“If he embraces what he does really well, which is run, jump, play with energy, play above the rim, he’s going to have a phenomenal NBA career,” said an Eastern Conference scout. “If he wants to prove to everyone that he’s a wing and he can shoot, then I think you’re going to have some problems, a la Derrick Williams.”

The 6-8 Williams also played at Arizona, where he spent a fair amount of time on the wing. He was drafted second overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2011, and has struggled in three NBA seasons, averaging 9.6 points in his career.

“[Gordon] is not Derrick, but when Derrick made his rounds with lottery teams, he was telling everyone, ‘I’m a small forward. I’m not an undersized power forward,’ ” the Eastern Conference scout said.

“Aaron is taller of course, but Aaron’s best attributes are an incredible, incredible motor, his athleticism, his ability to run the floor and play above the rim. But if he thinks he’s something more than that, I think you have a little bit of a problem on your hands.”

Arizona's Aaron Gordon doesn't approach Randle's strength, but the Wildcats' freshman may play harder than anyone in the Draft. The 18-year-old is a special athlete, who showed above the rim explosiveness on a nightly basis, leading Arizona to the Elite Eight after having to move to power forward during the season because of an injury to starter Brandon Ashley. His work ethic made Arizona's practices better, and his hops made him play bigger than his listed 6-9.

These experts are basically saying he is better suited playing PF and I think these comments have stayed true based on how he played last year. In fact, he won us more than one game when he played at the 4.

I don't see any reason why we'd put him in a position where he'd be less effective. He is a good offensive rebounder, good speed for a SF but better at PF, plays better above the rim, has good defensive instincts for a PF. I don't see any reason why he should be a SF other than his size and ability to play defense on the perimeter. Care to explain why he should be an SF?

edit: best games if I may add 2 of his best games were in November when we played against the Wolves and the Bucks, also there was also a notable game against the Rockets, IIRC, where he played the 5 (when we went with a smaller lineup).

Yeah, I remember those "expert" opinions from a year ago. They're as laughable now as they were then.

I don't think there were many games last season that he spent a whole game at one single position so no idea where you're going with this "his best games were at the 4" stuff. Do you realize that most of the times he was on the court with Tobias, Tobias was the 4 and Aaron played the 3?

Your reasons for him not being a SF are because he can't shoot (something that can change) and basically because we need one. That's weak. The case for him being a SF is way stronger than that. He has elite size and athleticism at that position while being undersized for a traditional PF in the NBA. He has the ball handling and passing of a perimeter player. He's the best perimeter defender on the team. I repeat... he's the best perimeter defender on the team! He's a 3 that can play the 4 in certain lineups. That's what he is.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#34 » by GANGSTERDOG » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:57 am

fendilim wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

What now?

Why do these experts matter? The only experts that matter should be the ones on our staff which is Hennigan and last week he said Gordon was a 3.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#35 » by ivDT » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:54 pm

Orlandipo wrote:
J-Ville Smoke wrote:

AD INFINITUM

Lol I don't know when people are going to get it through their heads that he can play both positions. It just depends on the match up. Same with Kawhii and Draymon. He's a combo forward but I guess that word has a stigma attached to it.

if the argument is "people who say aaron is a 3 are just as wrong as the people who say aaron is 4" then i simply have to disagree.

aaron's a "combo forward" who can play either forward position just like vic is a "combo guard" who can play the 1 and the 2.

sounds cute, especially given the current obsession with "positionless basketball", but it completely ignores the question of how these players can best help their team.

Return to Orlando Magic