ImageImageImageImage

Gordon, Hezonja, Oladipo and their positions

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Re: Gordon, Hezonja, Oladipo and their positions 

Post#41 » by tiderulz » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:47 am

Orl_Magic wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:Not to mention, one day Dipo, AG and Mario will also be getting paid as well.

This is what keeps me up at night. We will have to make some moves in order to become "sustainable"

The only player we MUST lock up is Payton and maybe Gordon if he keeps showing.

Payton has to develop a reliable shot before "locking him up"
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#42 » by tooler » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:50 am

The position for Gordon, Hezonja, and Oladipo is the same: in the air catching lobs and dunking on fools.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#43 » by drsd » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:33 am

UCFJayBird wrote:Highly unlikely Mario starts, especially over Tobias who we just paid a ton of money.

The loser in Orlando's draft choice is Fournier. Where is he going to get minutes in 2015?

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#44 » by drsd » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:35 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:There is a 100% chance that Hezonja comes off the bench.

It is interesting that at #5 Orlando drafted for bench depth.

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#45 » by KillMonger » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:48 am

"Last year, I did play some 3 and 4 and I bounced back and forth, and it was difficult for me just being a rookie — the different sets, the different defenses — and I stepped up to that challenge," Gordon said. "And I worked it out throughout the whole season, so now I'm ready to play either."
Primary
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#46 » by Primary » Tue Jul 7, 2015 6:59 am

We have a lot of versatility in our lineups now. If our young players develop the skills we need from them, we could be a terror in a year or two. We can go big, small, and big/small i.e. J Kidd, with excellent defense across the board. We can have a lineup of shooters or a more traditional balanced lineup. It will be exciting to see how Skiles utilizes everyone.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Re: 

Post#47 » by rusoopE » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:04 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Who cares. They're all BALLERS with tons of potential and they'll all contribute to our 40 win season this year.

You are so right :lol:
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#48 » by shadrock » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:59 am

Anyone expecting him to start is delusional.

These kind of statements piss me off. You cant possibly know this for fact so its great you have an opinion but thats all it is, an opinion. No need for the pissy comment.

Fwiw I could easily see him being a starter by seasons end simply because he would bring shooting to the starting 5. No dilusion necessary.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#49 » by tiderulz » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:10 am

drsd wrote:

i thought they drafted for best player, one who may not be ready to start year 1, which i agree he will not start this year unless injuries hit the team
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#50 » by Baka_La Flame » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:16 am

I would love to bring Tobes off the bench but I don't see it happening.
magician4ever
Junior
And1: 211

Post#51 » by magician4ever » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:25 pm

Skin wrote:
magician4ever wrote:If you read my response carefully, you'll see all I was saying is that you can't rule out benching Tobias if that ultimately means maximizing the talent, like you said with the "best combination of your best players". Skin was saying concretely that one of our lotto picks should not be a starter with a healthy Tobias on board. I said making that assumption is questionable, that anything is possible based on what Skiles and his staff believe will maximize the talent available. Whether that be Hezonja starting over Harris opening night or by the end of the season or not at all is dependent on several factors; saying Harris will start over him because Harris is getting $16 mil a year and is 22 years old is not a safe assumption to make.

As for your comment about players who are better, are you telling me Harrison Barnes, right now, is better or similar to in talent than Andre Iguodala? He isn't; Iguodala leading the second unit did them wonders during the season. The same can be said for Harris leading our second unit either now or in the future.

Oh it's safe. Very very safe. Can you imagine the rift that would happen if Skiles benched Tobe again? Besides, Skiles already told Tobe that he wants him to step up as a team leader. He's not going to do that from the bench.

For all we know, Mario could be in the same shoes that Tobe was in in MIL. I hope not and I doubt Henny would let that happen here, but out of Dipo, Mario and AG... someone will have to be coming off the bench.

I do hope Mario isn't on the same boat as well, I doubt it though since he was Skiles' top choice to draft. I don't think there would be a rift between Tobias and Skiles, what happened in MIL would be very different than what would happen here. While Tobias played when games were gone during blowouts, he would be getting starter minutes. If I'm not mistaken, Skiles said something about being a team leader about Elf as well. Idk if the answer is to spread your leaders out from starting unit to second unit or to have them in your starting five, but I'm just saying you can't rule out the former. Watching these Summer League games, the amount of chemistry between Mario and Aaron is really huge, and I think the coaching staff notices it too if all of us on RealGM are, so I wouldn't rule them out starting together. Cheers.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#52 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:37 pm

drsd wrote:

PG Payton
SG Oladipo
SF Harris/Gordon
PF Harris/Gordon
C Vucevic

The only player from the draft that starts is Towns...and we obviously had no shot at him.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,414

Post#53 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:41 pm

drsd wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:Highly unlikely Mario starts, especially over Tobias who we just paid a ton of money.

The loser in Orlando's draft choice is Fournier. Where is he going to get minutes in 2015?

Maybe I should've waited until now to post that "Trade Fournier?" thread, lol. This was my exact thought the second we drafted him. There's only so many minutes to go around, and if we're investing a huge portion of our future in Hezonja than Fournier is probably the one to suffer minutes wise. And for a guy entering a contract year he might not exactly be thrilled about it. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Fournier is moved mid season.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#54 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:45 pm

shadrock wrote:

Anyone expecting him to start is delusional.

These kind of statements piss me off. You cant possibly know this for fact so its great you have an opinion but thats all it is, an opinion. No need for the pissy comment.

Fwiw I could easily see him being a starter by seasons end simply because he would bring shooting to the starting 5. No dilusion necessary.

My apologies if it came off pissy.

We can all "hope" that Hezonja is good enough to start right away but there are so many factors to overcome that if you truly "expect" Hezonja to start....I truly do believe you are delusional. Maybe delusional is a bit harsh but at the very least...it is incredibly homer-tastic.

1. He isn't as good as Oladipo, Harris, or Gordon (right now) to start in their place.
2. He has never played a meaningful NBA game.
3. His endurance has to be extremely questionable at this point.

Not to mention, from a coaching perspective...it would be very silly to start that kind of player. He is going to make A LOT of mistakes at first.

The only way I see him starting this season is if his learning curve is incredibly small and either Tobias gets moved or Olidapo/Gordon get hurt. Even then, it still isn't a lock if Dipo went down AND we traded Harris. At that point, I still think a lineup of...

PG Payton
SG Fournier
SF Gordon
PF Frye
C Vucevic

...is much more likely to be used to start the game.

That isn't to say that Hezonja will barely play. Between the 2 & 3 spot, I see him getting 15-20 minutes a game, early in the season. If he looks good, then I can see 20-25 towards the end of the year.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#55 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:58 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
drsd wrote:

Maybe I should've waited until now to post that "Trade Fournier?" thread, lol. This was my exact thought the second we drafted him. There's only so many minutes to go around, and if we're investing a huge portion of our future in Hezonja than Fournier is probably the one to suffer minutes wise. And for a guy entering a contract year he might not exactly be thrilled about it. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Fournier is moved mid season.

More than Hezonja, I think that CJ Watson really hurts the PT of Fournier. If we had gone the route of using Dipo & Fournier to pick up minutes at backup PG, Fournier could have gotten his 25-28 MPG. Instead of something like...

PG Payton (32 MPG) / Oladipo (10 MPG) / Fournier (6 MPG)
SG Oladipo (22 MPG) / Fournier (20 MPG) / Hezonja (6 MPG)
SF Gordon (20 MPG) / Harris (14 MPG) / Hezonja (14 MPG)
PF Harris (20 MPG) / Gordon (10 MPG) / Frye (18 MPG)
C Vucevic (34 MPG) / Dedmon (14 MPG)

We are looking at something more along the lines of...

PG Payton (30 MPG) / Watson (16 MPG) / Oladipo (2 MPG)
SG Oladipo (30 MPG) / Fournier (18 MPG)
SF Gordon (20 MPG) / Harris (10 MPG) / Hezonja (18 MPG)
PF Harris (24 MPG) / Gordon (10 MPG) / Frye (14 MPG)
C Vucevic (34 MPG) / Dedmon (10 MPG) / Frye (4 MPG)

To me, Fournier takes the biggest hit in minutes because of the CJ Watson signing.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,414

Post#56 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:49 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
drsd wrote:

More than Hezonja, I think that CJ Watson really hurts the PT of Fournier. If we had gone the route of using Dipo & Fournier to pick up minutes at backup PG, Fournier could have gotten his 25-28 MPG. Instead of something like...

PG Payton (32 MPG) / Oladipo (10 MPG) / Fournier (6 MPG)
SG Oladipo (22 MPG) / Fournier (20 MPG) / Hezonja (6 MPG)
SF Gordon (20 MPG) / Harris (14 MPG) / Hezonja (14 MPG)
PF Harris (20 MPG) / Gordon (10 MPG) / Frye (18 MPG)
C Vucevic (34 MPG) / Dedmon (14 MPG)

We are looking at something more along the lines of...

PG Payton (30 MPG) / Watson (16 MPG) / Oladipo (2 MPG)
SG Oladipo (30 MPG) / Fournier (18 MPG)
SF Gordon (20 MPG) / Harris (10 MPG) / Hezonja (18 MPG)
PF Harris (24 MPG) / Gordon (10 MPG) / Frye (14 MPG)
C Vucevic (34 MPG) / Dedmon (10 MPG) / Frye (4 MPG)

To me, Fournier takes the biggest hit in minutes because of the CJ Watson signing.

Yep. And that's assuming Hezonja doesn't get any time in that SG rotation. Depending who Skiles favors come the regular season Hezonja could get into the mid 20s for mpg, which would only hurt Hezonja even more.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#57 » by OrlandoDream » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:59 pm

Elfrid
Oladipo
Tobias
AG
Vuc

Bench:
Watson
Evan
Mario
Harkless/move around AG and Tobias
Dedmon

I do not expect Mario to start this year. We didnt pay $16mil/year for a 6th man. Tobias is more a ready starter then any other forward on this team. Let him continue to do his thing, Mario picks up the game, then trade him and Mario can step up into the starting lineup. We all know he is going to eventually start for us.
Dedmon
orlandomike
Starter
And1: 53

Post#58 » by orlandomike » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:27 pm

Well 2 things: 1. Scott Skiles wants to run and 2. Golden State In other words, if we are going to run a lot and win a lot we need depth like G.S. Doesn't matter too much who starts. Other than Center and PG, we could easily and maybe, wisely limit the starters/backups to 25/23 minutes or 30/18 per game.
My 2 cents is worth 5 cents.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#59 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:30 pm

I'd be *very* surprised if Payton, Oladipo, Harris and Vucevic aren't starters next season.

I wouldn't be as shocked if Frye snuck in there ahead of Gordon to open the season, but I'm still expecting to see Gordon.

Return to Orlando Magic