ImageImageImageImage

(Hypothetical) Harris/Porzingis

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,415

Re: (Hypothetical) Harris/Porzingis 

Post#21 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:04 pm

While I wanted Orlando to draft KP, I've been on the keep Harris train much longer. Porzingis is unproven, and while his ceiling may be higher than Harris in the long run, that's a big question mark. And it's also not like Harris has peaked, the guy is 22 years old.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#22 » by ralphie9898 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:46 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:We need to start acquiring/keeping proven players to help propel us into the playoffs. Trading Tobias for KP would definitely keep us well into the lottery again.

Keeping Harris could just as well put us in the lottery again. I think as of right now we are still in the lottery for next year. I think we improve somewhat but how much remains to be seen and for all the potential we have we have had potential talked about before yet we have only seen a few game improvement. I am not so sure this year is different. Yes we have Skiles and yes he has had teams make big strides before, but that is still the past and it doesn't mean he will be able to repeat it with us. We have added very good rookies and backups before as well. You can blame Vaughn all you want(I agree he should have been fired) but he isn't stupid and he is still a good basketball mind who just couldn't get this team to make a big jump but the fault doesn't lie on his shoulders alone.

We shall see what happens but if NY offered us KP for Harris I would do it in a heartbeat. Harris isn't a good fit here and we aren't a contender so I just don't see why we would pass up on getting the better end of this deal just for a possible playoff spot which I don't think is as possible as some here do. That said I highly doubt the Knicks would do that deal and we also can't trade Harris this summer(as he isn't eligible to be traded till Dec. 15th.). But if we could or if the deal is still on the table later on I would do it. KP isn't that far behind if at all then the other prospects taken ahead of him. He gets drilled because he is skinny and he is a foreigner. Yes he does need some time but that can be said for a lot of rookies, but he does have the potential to be what this team is sorely lacking and what Harris doesn't provide.

everyone only seems to say "Harris isnt a good fit here", without acknowledging that Harris isnt the only one in that situation.

Vuc isnt a good fit here. He is a big man that provide little to nor rim protection or help defense. Those are big items needed in todays NBA, especially when teams dont build a team with a PF that help with that, but instead a small ball PF.

Dipo isnt a good fit here. Dipo seems to play big when the ball is in his hands, and he isnt a great shooter. Having the ball in his hands negates the strength of Elfrid, making him a spot up shooter, his biggest weakness. And he himself is not a good spot up shooter for Elf to drop easy shots off too.

Frye isnt a good fit here. He is a big man that cannot play defense, next to another big man that doesnt play great defense. Makes our post defense arguably one of the worst in the league.

to me, this is systematic of how Hennigan is putting his roster together. He seems good at identifying talent, where we are lacking is putting talent together that fits. You cant just through talent and assets together and expect them to all fit together into a great team.

yeah I was just talking about Harris. But yeah Vuc isn't a good fit. Oladipo isn't ideal with Payton as neither is that good of a shooter though Oladipo is better. This team offensively is pretty much helping the D by shrinking their scoring area in the half-court. Vuc is often are most reliable scorer but he is dependent on people getting him the ball which is tough with spacing tough to come by. Payton is a good ball handler and passer but he isn't actually a wizard who can make a ball just pass through multiple defenders. And you can foul Payton as he isn't a very good free throw shooter either which is bad for you primary ball handler. We have virtually no serious threat to score from deep. Harris basically attempts 3 triples a game and makes one which isn't that great. The one benefit we have offensively is the fast break which while it is nice it doesn't make you a better team. Our D on the perimeter has yet to translate but it doesn't help that there isn't a very good interior D to help them out especially given the league's predilection toward handicapping D in favor of more offense.

I having been saying this for a while. There isn't many here that see Frye as a good fit here. Fournier is a good shooter and can handle the ball ok but he isn't that great in many other areas. I have said for a while that this team is filled with too many one dimensional like talent. Thank god shooting is a skill that can be taught and hopefully learned as well. Oladipo can progress in this area as well as Payton and Gordon to make them more of an ideal player going forward. Hezonja is key as he projects to be a multi-demisoanl player who can excel on both ends. I think Porzingis does as well which is why I would trade Harris for him if it were offered which probably doesn't happen.

AS it stands now I do think we are going to have to trade away some of our young talent and look for different pieces to make this work. I would probably start with Dipo and Vuc and Harris. I like Dipo but I think he has the most value of the guys listed there so he is a guy I would consider trading. Vuc with his sub-par D is a little less valued. I think Harris of the three carries the least value. I think Hezonja and Gordon could be a very good combo on the wings with Payton hopefully improving at least his free throw shooting at the point. I would look for a more athletic center who can really defend and rebound rather then score and rebound. Then you can fit any good PF in that mix. Add in some good depth and I think we are ready to contend. And of course I am not looking to just trade these guys away simply to just make a trade or get rid of them. It does have to be a fair trade.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#23 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:02 pm

If you look at when the Thunder were stockpiling talent it took a while to pan out also. I remember they just needed a center like we need a power forward and they traded Jeff Green for Perkins. So who is our Jeff Green? Vuc, Vic, Harris, Gordon, or Herzonja.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#24 » by Tayswagzzz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I don't think some of you realize how instrumental Harris is going to be for our team. We're a rebuilding team and we're always caught on potential potential potential, well, Harris proves he has potential and he's only going to get better. Harris was a big part of our offense last season.

He's 22 and many people seem to think he's already reached his ceiling? Yeah not even close.

I don't see NYK doing this swap, I'm not sure if I would if I was Hennigan either.

Team still needs to gel and under Skiles he's going to hold them accountable on both ends of the floor.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#25 » by tooler » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I like Harris but I don't think we should rely on the fact that he's 22 as a reason for him to make a leap. He's been in the league for 4 years now. There's a better chance he takes a big step from the new coaching staff, assuming they can find better ways to use him on offense and get him to play better defense.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#26 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:59 am

Tayswagzzz wrote:I don't think some of you realize how instrumental Harris is going to be for our team. We're a rebuilding team and we're always caught on potential potential potential, well, Harris proves he has potential and he's only going to get better. Harris was a big part of our offense last season.

He's 22 and many people seem to think he's already reached his ceiling? Yeah not even close.

I don't see NYK doing this swap, I'm not sure if I would if I was Hennigan either.

Team still needs to gel and under Skiles he's going to hold them accountable on both ends of the floor.

Harris can get better but he also may not. He could stay the same or he could even regress. There is no certainty that he will get a whole lot better. We will have to wait and see as we can't even trade him until after Dec. 15th. But trading him wouldn't mean we can't continue rebuilding this team in a positive direction or that it would hinder that ability. It depends on what we get back in return that either is a negative or a positive.

Return to Orlando Magic