ImageImageImageImage

Woj: Magic nearing deal for Napier

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Re: Woj: Magic nearing deal for Napier 

Post#161 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Zmill wrote:With the Zoran deal, it seems pretty apparent the Heat are trying to clear as much cap and roster space as possible

Heat trying to unload Birdman as well.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#162 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 pm

We got cash for this deal too lol

.@OrlandoMagic have acquired G Shabazz Napier & cash considerations from @MiamiHEAT in exchange for a conditional 2016 2nd round draft pick
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#163 » by tooler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 pm

All joking about ESPN aside, I'm curious to hear why Pelton thinks he can be a backup in this league, since I know very little about him.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#164 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:28 pm

tooler wrote:All joking about ESPN aside, I'm curious to hear why Pelton thinks he can be a backup in this league, since I know very little about him.

The worst thing that ever happened to Napier, as I see it, wasLeBron James tweeting about him during and after UConn's run to the 2014 NCAA championship. Around the league, James' tweets created the impression that Napier's first-round draft stock was the result of hype from his tournament performance rather than being justified by his entire four-year career. (Napier was drafted 24th -- exactly the same spot he ranked in my WARP projections.)

The hit was even worse in Miami, where Napier was seen as James' preferred choice, a troublesome association after James left the Heat to sign with theCleveland Cavaliers as a free agent weeks later. If James' endorsement had anything to do with Miami's decision, and even if it didn't, it's easy to see how regret was inevitable when Napier posted an uneven rookie season.

Let's be clear that Napier was OK as a rookie, not terrible. He rated basically right at replacement level by WARP and posted a credible minus-1.3 rating inESPN's real plus-minus -- better than Los Angeles Lakers rookie guard Jordan Clarkson (minus-2.4), among others. Napier was an older rookie - he turned 24 this month - but point guards tend to develop longer and later than players at other positions. As a result, I project, based on WARP and RPM, that Napier will develop into a two-win player by the end of his rookie contract, making him a strong value at his low salary. While it's tough to see Napier becoming a starter in the league, he could emerge as a solid backup point guard.

In particular, Napier looks like a useful backup to Magic starter Elfrid Paytonbecause his best skill (3-point shooting) is Payton's worst. Napier shot 36.4 percent from 3-point range as a rookie, a hair behind Rodney Hood (36.5 percent) for tops among players from the 2014 draft who attempted at least 100 triples. Like veteran C.J. Watson, signed as a free agent this summer, Napier gives Orlando a different look at the position. Given the low cost, adding Napier makes a lot of sense.
tooler
General Manager

Post#165 » by tooler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm

He actually doesn't look like a total dumpster fire on defense based on some metrics. 18th in DRPM among point guards, top 50 DBPM among all guards.

His relative PER and defended FG% are pretty horrific though. Depends on which metric you like.

Only needs to stay with the backups...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#166 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
tooler wrote:All joking about ESPN aside, I'm curious to hear why Pelton thinks he can be a backup in this league, since I know very little about him.

The worst thing that ever happened to Napier, as I see it, wasLeBron James tweeting about him during and after UConn's run to the 2014 NCAA championship. Around the league, James' tweets created the impression that Napier's first-round draft stock was the result of hype from his tournament performance rather than being justified by his entire four-year career. (Napier was drafted 24th -- exactly the same spot he ranked in my WARP projections.)

The hit was even worse in Miami, where Napier was seen as James' preferred choice, a troublesome association after James left the Heat to sign with theCleveland Cavaliers as a free agent weeks later. If James' endorsement had anything to do with Miami's decision, and even if it didn't, it's easy to see how regret was inevitable when Napier posted an uneven rookie season.

Let's be clear that Napier was OK as a rookie, not terrible. He rated basically right at replacement level by WARP and posted a credible minus-1.3 rating inESPN's real plus-minus -- better than Los Angeles Lakers rookie guard Jordan Clarkson (minus-2.4), among others. Napier was an older rookie - he turned 24 this month - but point guards tend to develop longer and later than players at other positions. As a result, I project, based on WARP and RPM, that Napier will develop into a two-win player by the end of his rookie contract, making him a strong value at his low salary. While it's tough to see Napier becoming a starter in the league, he could emerge as a solid backup point guard.

In particular, Napier looks like a useful backup to Magic starter Elfrid Paytonbecause his best skill (3-point shooting) is Payton's worst. Napier shot 36.4 percent from 3-point range as a rookie, a hair behind Rodney Hood (36.5 percent) for tops among players from the 2014 draft who attempted at least 100 triples. Like veteran C.J. Watson, signed as a free agent this summer, Napier gives Orlando a different look at the position. Given the low cost, adding Napier makes a lot of sense.

If he comes a decent back up PG, that is really all we need going forward as we have our starter and short term vet backup PG. Its a really a great no risk move for us, and I def rather have him than Hark, at-least you know this guy has guts and has some skill. In fact we should have called him Gutless instead of Harkless.
aka: prorl
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#167 » by Devin 1L » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
drsd wrote:As far as I can gather, Napier was in High school for 5 years. Coupled to a full four years in college, he played a great deal of organized ball before his transition to the NBA. As such, I am not sure there is much more development for this kid.

Napier might be a career 3rd stringer.

pretty much everybody in the league went to prep school. most enter college at 18.5-19. full four years is four years, but he has a lot to bring to the table. as noted by pelton. home run trade

Fun fact: Napier only two years younger than 2008 NBA draft pick Anthony Randolph.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Re: Re: Re: Woj: Magic nearing deal for Napier 

Post#168 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:10 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Def Swami wrote:So essentially we traded Harkless for Napier. That's a steal of a deal. I was never particularly high on Napier, but he'll make for a solid back up PG and push Payton in practice. Nice move by Hennigan. I'm surprised Miami was so eager to ditch him.
honestly Miami drafting him seemed like a desperation move by their front office in an effort to keep Lebron after he mentioned wanting him.

Unfortunately for Napier, that may have prevented him from from developing having to play behind Goran, Chalmers and Cole. I'm not saying he's an All star but I do think he might be better than what we saw.

Taking a look at some of the players Henny has taken on and I notice a trend. Harris, Vucevic, and Payton are guys he's taken a chance on and it's worked out. Napier seems to have a similar "Chip on his shoulder" mentality. Seems like a good add considering Watsons injury history and age.

Other young players Henny has taken a chance on:
  • Maurice Harkless
  • Christian Eyenga
  • Kyle O'Quinn
  • E'Twaun Moore
  • Romero Osby
  • Adonis Thomas

These players were mostly second round picks and trade throw-ins, but that's the point. The Magic's acquiring Napier doesn't signal some huge vote of confidence from Hennigan -- they got him for next to nothing. It's just taking a flier.
hence the "it worked out" part. But it's not the same as trading fan favorite JJ Redick for a little known bench player from Milwaukee,and skipping out on the likes of Andrew Bynum for a third string center in Philly or trading a consensus top ten pick for a player projected to go later in the first round.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Re: Re: Woj: Magic nearing deal for Napier 

Post#169 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

If he comes a decent back up PG, that is really all we need going forward as we have our starter and short term vet backup PG. Its a really a great no risk move for us, and I def rather have him than Hark, at-least you know this guy has guts and has some skill. In fact we should have called him Gutless instead of Harkless.
Geez did Hark kill your kitten or something? It wasn't THAT bad...
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#170 » by ezzzp » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 pm

cedric76 wrote:
fendilim wrote:So Its Harkless for Napier? Not bad.

Nope

We could have kept Moe and still get Napier for nothing

Nope

Napier did not have Bird rights, which means the Magic had to be under the cap (with enough space) to be able to trade for him. Having Harkless' contract would have prevented that.

Moving Harkless' contract allowed the Magic to stay flexible, while keeping Dedmon (who becomes guaranteed 7/31) and Marble in play (because of cap holds)...AND allowing them to make all the small tweaks like adding Napier and securing Appling.

Not only that, it has allowed the Magic to keep its MLE below cap exception which is about $6.5m in case an opportunity arises.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#171 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

Not at all, he seems like a really nice guy. I just lost respect for him because he has been in the league 3 years and he plays with the deer in the headlights/scared puppy look. Reminds me of Reece Gaines when Baron Davis picked his pocket twice in a row when he came in the first time(although not as bad). You either know you belong or you don't and I don't think he truly believes he belongs.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#172 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Not at all, he seems like a really nice guy. I just lost respect for him because he has been in the league 3 years and he plays with the deer in the headlights/scared puppy look. Reminds me of Reece Gaines when Baron Davis picked his pocket twice in a row when he came in the first time(although not as bad). You either know you belong or you don't and I don't think he truly believes he belongs.
Same look our coaching staff had.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#173 » by cedric76 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 pm

ezzzp wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
fendilim wrote:So Its Harkless for Napier? Not bad.

Nope

We could have kept Moe and still get Napier for nothing

Nope

Napier did not have Bird rights, which means the Magic had to be under the cap (with enough space) to be able to trade for him. Having Harkless' contract would have prevented that.

Moving Harkless' contract allowed the Magic to stay flexible, while keeping Dedmon (who becomes guaranteed 7/31) and Marble in play (because of cap holds)...AND allowing them to make all the small tweaks like adding Napier and securing Appling.

Not only that, it has allowed the Magic to keep its MLE below cap exception which is about $6.5m in case an opportunity arises.

Of course we could if we had done that move before resigning Harris
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#174 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I see a couple options with having Napier in the fold.
1. I'd love to flip him to Philly for a 1st or low 2nd as they need some true PG.
2. depending on where we are at the deadline, (and player performance) this could make CJ a valuable trade piece.

Otherwise, he is just sitting on the bench behind 2 capable guards.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#175 » by drsd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Devin 1L wrote:Fun fact: Napier only two years younger than 2008 NBA draft pick Anthony Randolph.

Napier is one day older than 2010 draft pick Derrick Favors.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#176 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm killing the Spurs with Napier in 2K.. #Dynasty
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#177 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Nobody is giving up a first for napier
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#178 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Nobody is giving up a first for napier

Not even a second apparently lol.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#179 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Devin 1L wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:
drsd wrote:As far as I can gather, Napier was in High school for 5 years. Coupled to a full four years in college, he played a great deal of organized ball before his transition to the NBA. As such, I am not sure there is much more development for this kid.

Napier might be a career 3rd stringer.

pretty much everybody in the league went to prep school. most enter college at 18.5-19. full four years is four years, but he has a lot to bring to the table. as noted by pelton. home run trade

Fun fact: Napier only two years younger than 2008 NBA draft pick Anthony Randolph.

Yea, we know hes no spring chicken. Still better than hark.
tooler
General Manager

Post#180 » by tooler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:I see a couple options with having Napier in the fold.
1. I'd love to flip him to Philly for a 1st or low 2nd as they need some true PG.
2. depending on where we are at the deadline, (and player performance) this could make CJ a valuable trade piece.

Otherwise, he is just sitting on the bench behind 2 capable guards.

They don't need a PG. They need stars. I believe they already have a few marginal ball handlers they could use to pump their stats and flip them.

I don't think CJ will move this season. He may get injured though. We need Watson insurance more than some 2018 2nd round pick anyway, even if we could get it.

Return to Orlando Magic