ImageImageImageImage

Emmanuel Mudiay mystery?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Emmanuel Mudiay mystery? 

Post#1 » by MasterGMer » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:24 pm

I am still dazzled by Magic's decision to pass Mudiay. I maybe a little slow to the party train.

To me, Mudiay is the best play maker in this draft, way better than Hezonja.

Dude has a Physical build like Derrick Rose and skills enough to make him a dangerous threat to the basket. Jump shots are always a concern for Rookies. So is Mudiay. It will develop.

I am slow to this whole thing. But can some one our Magic Die Hard explain what you see from Mudiay's game?

Does this dude belong to the elite PG in the NBA near future, John Wall, Lillard and Rose?

What is his Career Projection like? I hear many Rodney Stuckey in him...

Anyone?

Thx
Greenraida
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Re: Emmanuel Mudiay mystery? 

Post#2 » by Greenraida » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:29 pm

Hezonja has elite shooting which Mudiay does not. We needed shooting.
Plus there was also question marks about mudiays athleticism.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#3 » by MasterGMer » Sun Aug 9, 2015 11:34 pm

Question mark about Mudiay's athleticism?

Are you kidding me?

What is it?

What kind of talent is really Emmanuel Mudiay?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#4 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:12 am

The Magic already have Oladipo and Elfrid. They're not breaking up that duo unless they start under-performing. Mudiay hasn't proven anything yet.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:28 am

Early in the draft process I was 100% on board with the OP suggestion. If Mudiay falls to us we laugh at the GMs ahead of us and run. This included a Porzingis vs Mudiay choice. I would have been happy with Porzingis but big men can be more hit or miss than guards.

This changed when I started really watching Hezonja tape. His ability to score from anywhere is incredible. He is everything we need but isn't just a "draft for fit" pick. He has the handles, athleticism and size to be so much more than a volume scorer.

In the end, I would have been happy with any of these 3 but I no longer felt Mudiay was far and away the top choice.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,102

Post#6 » by Magic#1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 am

After seeing what Elfrid did last year, people are still complaining about not taking a point guard? I like Mudiay and Denver made a great pick to start off their rebuild, but he wasn't right for us.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:41 am

MasterGMer wrote:I am still dazzled by Magic's decision to pass Mudiay. I maybe a little slow to the party train.

and yet, Philly, NYK, and LA all needed PG's and passed on him.
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#8 » by pinoynurse » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 am

tiderulz wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:I am still dazzled by Magic's decision to pass Mudiay. I maybe a little slow to the party train.

exactly what i was thinking. there is a good reason they passed on him. i am happy with our pick
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#9 » by seeingstars » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:25 am

Mario Hezonja, 6'9" Croatian Kobe Bryant. Eats sleeps and mates basketball. Went pro at the age of 13. While most of us were still learning how to look cool with one backpack strap on and talk to girls, he was sharpening his teeth against grown men. The kids got sand like Django and grit like Rooster Cogburn. He's the real life "most interesting man in the world" that is, if your interest is basketball. Mudiay has a chance to be a great player but Mario has the chance to be legendary.

In an interview he was asked what he likes to do when he's not playing basketball and I kid you not his response was "Play basketball" he then said he goes to the movies with his family but since they don't live in Orlando he plays basketball.

I've seen him go 8 for 8 from 3. In that game he got his 3s off screens, off the dribble, and catch n shoot. The day after the 2015 NBA dunk contest Mario went to practice and nailed every one of Zach Lavines dunks.

If criminal charges could be pressed for on court intent, he'd be a serial hit and run fellon. He's willing admitted his mentality is to not respect the opposition in terms of taking it easy "on the court, I want to run over everybody."

But yeah, Mudiay is kind of like Derrick Rose kind of...
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#10 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:31 am

tiderulz wrote:

By most accounts KAT, Okafor and Russell were the consensus top 3 while Zingis, Mudiay, Hezonja, Winslow and WCS were fighting for the next spots.

So from a talent (which is what I assume he meant by "play maker") perspective, your comment is misleading as two of those teams chose from the top 3 guys.

NY is the team to consider here. They need a big man for the triangle so Zingis makes some sense.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#11 » by orlando1214 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:39 am

I didn't like Mudiay before the draft, and by the way he was past up by some of the early teams, I think they agreed with me. The Magic in particular had no need for Mudiay. They already have Payton and Dipo, two very good young players, so drafting another guard that can't shoot wouldn't have been ideal. Mario is the perfect fit for the Magic, and I believe the better prospect than Mudiay, so it really was a no brainer who to pick. Mudiay is a better fit for Denver anyways. With Lawson gone, he can start right away and will probably be given the green light to be as ball dominant as he wants. That's not what the Magic need, and they already have the Point Guard who is the perfect fit for this team anyways.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#12 » by shadrock » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:27 am

Dude has a Physical build like Derrick Rose and skills enough to make him a dangerous threat to the basket. Jump shots are always a concern for Rookies. So is Mudiay. It will develop.

I am slow to this whole thing. But can some one our Magic Die Hard explain what you see from Mudiay's game?

Does this dude belong to the elite PG in the NBA near future, John Wall, Lillard and Rose?

Anyone?

Thx

It surprised me that everyone here was ok with it, especially after I ran a poll on "if Mudiay falls to #5, what do we do?" and the overwhelming response said we should either keep him or draft him to trade him. Only the minority suggested we should take someone else. But then between that time and the draft, everyone's view changed, despite nothing changing (except a few renditions of Chad Fords Big Board etc). Interesting how little people rely on their own judgements...
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by shadrock » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:30 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:The Magic already have Oladipo and Elfrid. They're not breaking up that duo unless they start under-performing. Mudiay hasn't proven anything yet.

Which rookie has proven anything?
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by shadrock » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:45 am

So basically, it was 79% saying we take Mudiay and either draft him to keep or trade him. Only 21% said draft someone else. Yet now its all like "he was never the right fit for us".

Motherflippinrofflecoptaz!!

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#15 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:05 am

That poll was done when it looked like Mudiay would be a top 3 or 4 pick.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:35 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:That poll was done when it looked like Mudiay would be a top 3 or 4 pick.

yep, before his weaknesses were really out there, before team workouts. I could eat my words, but i wasnt a believer of his then and still not. I think he is like Exum, having flash in the media, but not as good as people will expect from him.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#17 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:41 am

seeingstars wrote:Mario Hezonja, 6'9" Croatian Kobe Bryant. Eats sleeps and mates basketball. Went pro at the age of 13. While most of us were still learning how to look cool with one backpack strap on and talk to girls, he was sharpening his teeth against grown men. The kids got sand like Django and grit like Rooster Cogburn. He's the real life "most interesting man in the world" that is, if your interest is basketball. Mudiay has a chance to be a great player but Mario has the chance to be legendary.

In an interview he was asked what he likes to do when he's not playing basketball and I kid you not his response was "Play basketball" he then said he goes to the movies with his family but since they don't live in Orlando he plays basketball.

I've seen him go 8 for 8 from 3. In that game he got his 3s off screens, off the dribble, and catch n shoot. The day after the 2015 NBA dunk contest Mario went to practice and nailed every one of Zach Lavines dunks.

If criminal charges could be pressed for on court intent, he'd be a serial hit and run fellon. He's willing admitted his mentality is to not respect the opposition in terms of taking it easy "on the court, I want to run over everybody."

But yeah, Mudiay is kind of like Derrick Rose kind of...

Not that it really matters, but is there any proof of him doing those Zach Lavine dunks? I know Mario is a great dunker but that to me sounds like posturing.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Lakers are going to regret taking Russel over Mudiay.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Scottg247
Pro Prospect
And1: 147

Post#19 » by Scottg247 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Mudiay may or may not be a good NBA player. These woulda coulda shoulda topics are getting so old though. We didn't pick him. Maybe we made a mistake. Maybe we didn't. Is what it is.....
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#20 » by NBlue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Anyone?

Thx

Wait a second, you are saying that Mudiay, a point guard, is a better playmaker than Hezonja, a 3? Yeah, he better be. Obviously, Mudiay looked special in the summer league and he may well be the steal of the draft but I think its absurd for anyone on a message to be able to predict how Mudiay will perform in the NBA based on a few non-injury games in China and a stellar high school career. Its absurd. Now watching him in summer league, we can certainly see a lot but anyone saying they knew Mudiay would be a star (assuming he becomes one) prior to summer league is just guessing.

Return to Orlando Magic