ImageImageImageImage

Jameer Nelson - The Takeover (article)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Jameer Nelson - The Takeover (article) 

Post#1 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 pm

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jameer-nelson-guards-nba/

Article written and submitted by Jameer

Pretty good read during the midst of a boring offseason.. Check it out!
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Re: Jameer Nelson - The Takeover (article) 

Post#2 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:13 am

I honestly still consider Jameer a member of the Orlando Magic, I think he should get a jersey retired eventually and I hope he comes back to work for us in the future once he retires.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#3 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:48 am

rcklsscognition wrote:I honestly still consider Jameer a member of the Orlando Magic, I think he should get a jersey retired eventually and I hope he comes back to work for us in the future once he retires.

He would be a great addition to the front office and I think there is a good chance it happens. Building a team's culture goes beyond that of just the game on the floor. If you can establish your franchise as one that takes care of its own and keeps everything in house, it goes a long way.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#4 » by Bensational » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:34 am

The start of it reads like a giant middle finger to Dwight.

The rest of it reads like someone who wants to justify why they're a chucker.

Using MVP and Finals MVP votes to determine which position is most vital? C'mon. Sure, we don't have as many dominant big men in the game anymore, but doesn't mean they're dead, or that we should abandon pursuing them just so guys like Jameer can be the hero.

The last 15 years of championships have generally been decided by:

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Garnett + Pierce
Shaq

If you had 1 or 2 of those guys, you'd have a good shot of getting to the finals.

But, here's the list of Finalist Bigs vs Finalist PGs for the last 10 years anyways:

Bigs: Bogut, Mozgov, Duncan, Bosh, Perkins/Ibaka, Dirk, Pau, Bynum, Garnett, Dwight, Ilgauskas, Shaq, Ben Wallace, Sheed Wallace

PGs: Curry, Delavedova, Parker, Chalmers, Westbrook, Kidd, Fisher, Rondo, Nelson, Eric Snow, Terry, J.Williams, Billups

That list of bigs is so much stronger than that list of point guards. Jameer better get a whole lot smarter before we let him anywhere near our front office or coaching staff.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#5 » by NEM » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:03 am

rcklsscognition wrote:I honestly still consider Jameer a member of the Orlando Magic, I think he should get a jersey retired eventually and I hope he comes back to work for us in the future once he retires.

I'd love to see it happen, but we haven't retired nick, penny, shaq, t-Mac, or Darrell so I highly doubt we retire meer
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#6 » by drsd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Bensational wrote:The last 15 years of championships have generally been decided by:

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Garnett + Pierce
Shaq

I would remove Wade from the list as for me O'Neal and James were causal for the Heat titles. And Curry really needs to be added. His ridiculous street-ball game only works because he is so efficient. No other player in the league can win by chucking. And the last player that could was Iverson.

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting this. I would like to see jameer eventually become a player development coach for the Magic.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#8 » by Max Power » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Nice read from Jameer. Nothing spectacular but he has some solid points. Albeit he admits to being biased towards guard play. Jameer could end up a coach after he retires but the fact he wrote this makes me think NBA media may be in his future.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: RE: Re: Jameer Nelson - The Takeover (article) 

Post#9 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Bensational wrote:The start of it reads like a giant middle finger to Dwight.

Using MVP and Finals MVP votes to determine which position is most vital? C'mon. Sure, we don't have as many dominant big men in the game anymore, but doesn't mean they're dead, or that we should abandon pursuing them just so guys like Jameer can be the hero.

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Garnett + Pierce
Shaq

If you had 1 or 2 of those guys, you'd have a good shot of getting to the finals.

But, here's the list of Finalist Bigs vs Finalist PGs for the last 10 years anyways:

Bigs: Bogut, Mozgov, Duncan, Bosh, Perkins/Ibaka, Dirk, Pau, Bynum, Garnett, Dwight, Ilgauskas, Shaq, Ben Wallace, Sheed Wallace

PGs: Curry, Delavedova, Parker, Chalmers, Westbrook, Kidd, Fisher, Rondo, Nelson, Eric Snow, Terry, J.Williams, Billups

That list of bigs is so much stronger than that list of point guards. Jameer better get a whole lot smarter before we let him anywhere near our front office or coaching staff.

Blah blah blah " I hate Jameer" blah blah Blah. :lol:
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 pm

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Garnett + Pierce
Shaq

i agree somewhat. If his stance had been wings that is one thing, but PG's? there have been multiple finals teams with lackluster PG's, as your list shows.
drsd
RealGM

Post#11 » by drsd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

tiderulz wrote:i agree somewhat. If his stance had been wings that is one thing, but PG's? there have been multiple finals teams with lackluster PG's, as your list shows.

Example: one of the worst starting PGs in the NBA, by many metrics, is a two time Champion.

If you truly suck, this is not a very good tattoo choice, in my opinion.

drsd
RealGM

Post#12 » by drsd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Thanks for posting this. I would like to see jameer eventually become a player development coach for the Magic.

And-1

On the point of the article, I agree with Nelson that the future of the NBA is through aggressive PG play. Having Nelson train Payton sounds like a great use of both of their time.

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Bensational » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:49 am

drsd wrote:
Bensational wrote:The last 15 years of championships have generally been decided by:

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Garnett + Pierce
Shaq

I would remove Wade from the list as for me O'Neal and James were causal for the Heat titles. And Curry really needs to be added. His ridiculous street-ball game only works because he is so efficient. No other player in the league can win by chucking. And the last player that could was Iverson.

Yeah, I mean ultimately the real game changers have only been Shaq, Duncan, LeBron, Dirk, Kobe and Wade in that order.

Shaq and Duncan were the two most dominant bigs in a long time, and they made players around them much better. LeBron is showing with Cleveland just how good he can be on his own, and that just shows how superior he is compared to Kobe and Wade. Kobe and Wade need to be on the list because they've shown they can be a vital #1b guy, too, winning 'ships with two vastly different rosters. But that's why Dirk gets a nod ahead of them, because he's been to the finals twice as the only real star on his team.

Curry doesn't get added yet until he shows more longevity as a winner. Same with Durant.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Jameer Nelson - The Takeover (article) 

Post#14 » by Bensational » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:53 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Blah blah blah " I hate Jameer" blah blah Blah. :lol:

Pretty much. Or, rather, I just hate his over inflated opinion of himself and his role. I think the guy might be able to take this stance if he'd been an elite scorer, but he wasn't. This is like Tobias Harris writing an article on how vital wing defense is in today's game.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#15 » by Hilltop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:30 am

I'd like to see him return to the organization in some capacity. I would definitely be against retiring his jersey though. IMO we don't have anyone who has earned that honour just yet. Dwight would be the closest if any.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Hilltop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:43 am

Yeah, I thought I was the only one who noticed. That was pretty much the tone of the entire article.

And yes, he's certainly downplaying the value of big men in this league. To say you don't need dominant big men to win titles or that guards have taken over is a bit of an exaggeration (especially considering the fact that he's counting LeBron as a guard in his MVP argument). Regardless, I'm not really gonna dwell on it. I get what he's trying to say from a high level.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#17 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:49 am

Hilltop wrote:

Yeah, I thought I was the only one who noticed. That was pretty much the tone of the entire article.

And yes, he's certainly downplaying the value of big men in this league. To say you don't need dominant big men to win titles or that guards have taken over is a bit of an exaggeration (especially considering the fact that he's counting LeBron as a guard in his MVP argument). Regardless, I'm not really gonna dwell on it. I get what he's trying to say from a high level.

All I could see when reading it was Jameer dribbling down the court, stopping, and doing that hesitation lob into Dwight in the post.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Hilltop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:09 am

rcklsscognition wrote:
Hilltop wrote:

All I could see when reading it was Jameer dribbling down the court, stopping, and doing that hesitation lob into Dwight in the post.

Don't give me nightmares ;) JK
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:14 am

Jameer should write an article about what it's like to watch a Finals game winning 3pt shot fly over your head because you're too **** at defense to do anything about it. I'd love to hear how much he regrets that. doubt he does though, he probably regrets not taking more shots in that series.

Return to Orlando Magic