ImageImageImageImage

If you could undo 1 past mistake for a shot at winning the title, what would it be?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

If you could undo one mistake from the past, what would it be?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 4, 2015 3:09 pm

Playing a rusty Jameer instead of Rafer (who got us all the way to the finals)
58%
Courtney Lee's missed layup
12%
Resigning Turk instead of trading for VC
5%
Nick Anderson's free throws
26%

Total votes: 43

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: If you could undo 1 past mistake for a shot at winning the title, what would it be? 

Post#21 » by OrlandO » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:The decision to not only play jameer, but start him AND play him starters minutes despite the fact that rafer had it going in the post season still pisses me off. Still unfathomable.

I know it seemed like that and I've seen many people say the same over the years, but that's actually not how it went down. Jameer didn't start any of the games (pretty sure he came in late in the 1st qtr or beginning of the 2nd qtr in all of them) and he averaged 18 mpg for the series. It did cut into some of Alston's playing time, which maybe messed with his head, but he still averaged 30 mpg for the series. I do think playing Nelson killed our chemistry/momentum though.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Re: If you could undo 1 past mistake for a shot at winning the title, what would it be? 

Post#22 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:44 am

Jameer in the Finals is the one move which would be closest to having a big impact. But there are a couple other direction swinging moves I'd rather us have explored:

- not trade Strong + Phoenix 1st rounder to clear cap space (to try to sign Duncan + Hill + Tmac). That pick ended up being Amare.

- not sign/trade for Grant Hill. keep Ben Wallace.

- signed/re-signed Billups instead of chasing Hill.

That roster would have ended up looking like:

Wallace
Amare
Miller
Tmac
Billups

But even just 1 of those moves would have made a massive difference in our trajectory as a team.

or,

- trade Tmac for the rumoured Suns deal. (even just 1 of Marion or Joe Johnson would've made a bigger difference than Francis, and would've been a good pairing with Dwight).
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 am

OrlandO wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:The decision to not only play jameer, but start him AND play him starters minutes despite the fact that rafer had it going in the post season still pisses me off. Still unfathomable.

I know it seemed like that and I've seen many people say the same over the years, but that's actually not how it went down. Jameer didn't start any of the games (pretty sure he came in late in the 1st qtr or beginning of the 2nd qtr in all of them) and he averaged 18 mpg for the series. It did cut into some of Alston's playing time, which maybe messed with his head, but he still averaged 30 mpg for the series. I do think playing Nelson killed our chemistry/momentum though.

Jameer's presence definitely threw Alston out of whack.

but i think swapping AJ's bench presence for Jameer was a big difference maker, too. AJ wasn't good, but he could defend a hell of a lot better than Jameer, and wouldn't have watched Fisher hit a game winning 3pt shot over his midget head.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#24 » by shadrock » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:07 am

What about Dwight Howards free throws in G4 of the 2009 Finals? Everyone forgets about that, but he missed a pair right at the end when we were up 3, then after the second miss, La get the rebound, and Derek fking Fisher hits a 3 in transition. I remember that moment with such clarity because it was the moment that series was over, and it was 100% squarely on Dwight.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#25 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:31 am

Eh... that's probably going a bit far. Everybody knows Dwight is a poor FT shooter so there's always a chance he'll miss at the line in that circumstance. Not to mention if there is no Dwight Howard, we're not even in the Finals let alone up 3 late in game 4. At least with Nick he was actually a respectable FT shooter up until that point and literally choked and had a mental breakdown at the line and was never really the same again.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:38 am

shadrock wrote:What about Dwight Howards free throws in G4 of the 2009 Finals? Everyone forgets about that, but he missed a pair right at the end when we were up 3, then after the second miss, La get the rebound, and Derek fking Fisher hits a 3 in transition. I remember that moment with such clarity because it was the moment that series was over, and it was 100% squarely on Dwight.

Shaq won plenty of 'ships whilst missing plenty of FTs, the difference was that he had better help, and was a phenomenally better scorer. Blaming Dwight for missing FTs isn't right, because he always misses them. That'd be like blaming Jameer for not having scored 30 points by dunking over Pau all night long. You can't blame someone for not having a particular skill or ability if they've never had it before.

Jameer's defense was just dumb. Down 3, 10 seconds to go, and Jameer sets up to defend inside the 3pt line.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDMOh8YB2U[/youtube]

The rest of his defense was solid, but had he just stepped up closer he would've made it much harder for Fisher, and much more excusable.

There was another play where Jameer stuffed up on Fisher, but I can't remember what game. I feel like it was in the 4th, and Jameer fell over backwards on his ass at the charity stripe and Fisher just put the open shot away.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#27 » by drsd » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:07 am

Wow this is a young board. Anderson's missed FTs was crippling for a long time and effectively ruined Anderson's career with the Magic. That was for me the worst moment in Magic history.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#28 » by shadrock » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:43 am

Bensational wrote:
shadrock wrote:What about Dwight Howards free throws in G4 of the 2009 Finals? Everyone forgets about that, but he missed a pair right at the end when we were up 3, then after the second miss, La get the rebound, and Derek fking Fisher hits a 3 in transition. I remember that moment with such clarity because it was the moment that series was over, and it was 100% squarely on Dwight.

Shaq won plenty of 'ships whilst missing plenty of FTs, the difference was that he had better help, and was a phenomenally better scorer. Blaming Dwight for missing FTs isn't right, because he always misses them. That'd be like blaming Jameer for not having scored 30 points by dunking over Pau all night long. You can't blame someone for not having a particular skill or ability if they've never had it before.

Jameer's defense was just dumb. Down 3, 10 seconds to go, and Jameer sets up to defend inside the 3pt line.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDMOh8YB2U[/youtube]

The rest of his defense was solid, but had he just stepped up closer he would've made it much harder for Fisher, and much more excusable.

There was another play where Jameer stuffed up on Fisher, but I can't remember what game. I feel like it was in the 4th, and Jameer fell over backwards on his ass at the charity stripe and Fisher just put the open shot away.

The second one was the same game but in overtime, when he got elbowed in the face by Kobe and went to the ground, when lead to an open Fisher 3.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,025

Post#29 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:01 am

This thread has been good for reminiscing of the good 'ole days. I really liked watching the videos of when we used to be great! That 2010 team was the best team in the NBA in my opinion. I hope our guys can one day take us back to that level.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#30 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:51 am

On paper, the 2009 finals looked like a blowout.

A Courtney Lee layup wins game two. We won game three. Made free throws or a lick of defense on Fisher and we win game four.

It's amazing how easily we could have been up 3-1 in those finals. I try not to think about it too much.

As far as the poll goes, the Rafer/Jameer thing gets my vote.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#31 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:32 pm

You take the oldest one because if the Magic win way back then, Shaq may have not left, the Magic coulda won multiple ships and the history of losing would probably not be as bad as it has been.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 pm

shadrock wrote:The second one was the same game but in overtime, when he got elbowed in the face by Kobe and went to the ground, when lead to an open Fisher 3.

oh yeah! found it!

Not as bad as I'd remembered. I still don't know if i'm annoyed he's got a glass jaw, or annoyed yet proud that he went to draw the offensive but it didn't work.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2VPTSJk50[/youtube]
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:You take the oldest one because if the Magic win way back then, Shaq may have not left, the Magic coulda won multiple ships and the history of losing would probably not be as bad as it has been.

actually, this. nailed it.
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#34 » by jgosche » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:14 pm

What about failing to sign Tim Duncan? I'm too young to remember but supposedly we were really close.
German Magican
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#35 » by German Magican » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Bensational wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:You take the oldest one because if the Magic win way back then, Shaq may have not left, the Magic coulda won multiple ships and the history of losing would probably not be as bad as it has been.

actually, this. nailed it.

Voted for Jameer, because it´s the one which hurts me the most, because i have seen it live on tv and it hurts til now.

But like Bensational said, this nailed it, the oldest one could have changed all
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#36 » by JaxMagic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 pm

jgosche wrote:What about failing to sign Tim Duncan? I'm too young to remember but supposedly we were really close.

Yeah, it was real close. That summer to me is the biggest what if in Magic history. If Orlando had managed to pull of Duncan, T-Mac, and Hill they would have easily had a dynasty. They also could have swapped Ben Wallace with Bo Outlaw and let's no forget they had a guy on the end of the roster by the name of Chauncey Billups.

HC - Doc Rivers
PG - Armstrong/Billups
SG - T-Mac
SF - Hill/Miller
PF - Duncan/Garrity
C - Wallace

:cry:
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#37 » by MagicMadness » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Great question.

I'm going to go with Nick Anderson and the free throws. While we were a much less experienced team than the Rockets, we were the better team, and had no business losing Game 1 of that series.

In Anderson makes one FT, the Magic win, and then have the momentum and mental fortitude to at least make a series of the thing, if not win it all.

My second choice would be Nelson in the Finals. I was totally on board for giving him spot minutes in certain situations, but obviously that's not what SVG had in mind. I don't think we were going to beat LA, but we should have won another game or two.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#38 » by Skin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Bensational wrote:- not trade Strong + Phoenix 1st rounder to clear cap space (to try to sign Duncan + Hill + Tmac). That pick ended up being Amare.

Just to be clear, this move didn't allow us to sign all 3 did it? My understanding is that it allowed us to sign 2 max deals, not 3. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#39 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:56 pm

darthcheech2000 wrote:Playing hardball with Shaq lost us a lot of championship runs.

Although, Brian Hill's history in the playoffs says if Nick would have made one of those damn FTs we would have one that series... god damnit!

People say this, but it's not like the Lakers were bad with Shaq, and they didn't really contend until after MJ retired and Phil came to town. By that time, Penny was a diminished shell of himself and we probably don't win anything anyway.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#40 » by MagicHolland » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Just one thing to keep in mind is that Jameer had been a Lakers killer before the Finals. It does not make the decision to give him a big role the right one but it's something to consider. Jameer caried us to a win in LA that season by tearing up their defense. To be honest, I would probably have played him big minutes as well if I were the coach..

I'm going with the missed Nick FT"s, it changed the series and Nick's career. Besides that I believe had we won that series the team would have stuck together for more titles..

Return to Orlando Magic