ImageImageImageImage

The Most Impressive Addition so far is...

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The most impressive new addition to the team is

C.J Watson
22%
Shabazz Napier
17%
Jason Smith
39%
Mario Herzonja
22%

Total votes: 59

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Re: The Most Impressive Addition so far is... 

Post#21 » by tooler » Mon Nov 9, 2015 2:05 am

CJ's not shooting that well at the moment, but I feel like the game settles down every time he comes in. He's the perfect backup to Payton. Jason Smith erasing highlights is a close second.

It's amazing how important it is to have veterans in this league. We've got a couple average ones and you can still see their impact.
MagicManDC
Junior
And1: 64

Post#22 » by MagicManDC » Mon Nov 9, 2015 2:12 am

I'm really happy with each position and our bench. We are solid at each spot. Do we stick with this team for 2 years? See what fits together on the floor and go from there. We would have to sign an all-star for any real improvement at any position. Take another shot like we did at Millsap. Let's give it two years. See if Dipo can improve his shooting and finishing. How close does AG get to being that Superstar? Can Vuc sustain his new found team defense presence and add back some rebounding. Can Mario develop a acceptable handle, and be a plus on defense? Fournier seems to be that grit and glue guy but if all our wings develop do we have a big another role for him? Can Harris be that go to guy we need in late game? Payton.... Energy and calm leadership with shooting is my hope for him.
MagicManDC
Junior

Post#23 » by MagicManDC » Mon Nov 9, 2015 2:15 am

I voted for CJ a calming vet who adds to the team despite stats. Magic had to start Payton last year and any option after hurt the team. It's so nice to have CJ.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,575

Post#24 » by 3ddman23 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 3:33 am

I guess it's cj.. hopefully he can continue to get his offense going.. Jason smith is playing solid ball and is better at defensive then I thought before.. mario is a project but we know his potential if reached...but I think shabazz will be the long term solid pick up for us could be a great back up for years to come if we can groom him correctly
GO MAGIC
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#25 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Nov 9, 2015 4:05 am

Best one? Hard to say because Jason has been helping in almost every game and Shabaz has been consistent as well too off the bench. Mario is doing what he can with the time given but still adjusting and getting better. CJ has been somewhat inconsistent but has hit some timely shots and played good D. Cant pick just one. I would just say that all have been great additions and are contributing int their own way which is translating into Ws.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#26 » by NBAchamps2017 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 4:23 am

Ducklett wrote:
AddiFB wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Mario with 0 votes. I think we can say he was a miss.

How can a rookie, after whopping 7 games, be a miss?

I guess miss isn't really a fair description, however, so many of the other rookies in his class, both picked before and after him, are looking much better than him.

So many other rookies you say? How many? Who could that be? Anyone taken after him turned into LBJ or SCurry already? What did I miss? Let's see the "other rookies" last game.
Mudiay - 13 pts team lost
Stein - 6 pts team lost
Stanley - 3 pts team won
Justice- 9 pts team won
Portis - DNP don't care
Turner - 6 pts team lost
Kaminsky - 8 pts team lost
Looney - you know what looney means right?
Anthony Bennett - 0 pts team lost
He's On Ya - 11pts Team won

:noway: :noway: :noway:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#27 » by Ducklett » Mon Nov 9, 2015 9:20 am

Help me understand. What do you guys see in him so far?
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#28 » by Furinkazan » Mon Nov 9, 2015 10:22 am

I have expected way more from CJ Watson.And I wanted him badly on the Magic team.Seems he came too late in his career?He is danger close to Duhon in my mind.Bricking open shoots and I always thought he can actually shoot really well.At least he tries to defend and distributes nicely but atm Id rather give his minutes to Napier Payton and Dipo.Maybe he will get his sht together but atm he would be in my doghouse.

Mario after all the Kobesque hype fell short ...still its just 7 games.Hopefully he can bounce back and by the end of the season we can see more of him but now its hard to be impressed.Silly mistakes silly Tos walking etc.Ballhandling skills none existing(this is not enough on this level from a guy who plays pro ball sincee 12yo).So atm when his shot is off (like 0/4 he doesnt look very well).Also works on defense .... praised him for awesome defense on Derozan but Derozan scored what? 14 pts on him in the 3rd?We need to be patient with him ofc NBA is diffrent from the Euro ball but some of you sound like he is adjusting to nba coming from volleyball,soccer or synch swimming.
I really think he will be great and its awesome he is coached by Skilles not Vaughn :D but atm its hard to vote for him.

Smith is exactly what Ive expected him to be.Still Id rather have Kyle :(

Napier reminds me of Jameer :D
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,504

Post#29 » by AddiFB » Mon Nov 9, 2015 11:23 am

I think Marios biggest issue right now is learning a new playing style, the NBA pace, opponent size and strength. He might be a bit overwhelmed but once the game slows down for him, he will be fine and he'll shine. He's been pro since he was like 5 years old, yes, but he wasn't pro in the NBA. It's a bit different world than where he's been, even in Spain.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#30 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Nov 9, 2015 1:07 pm

aaron gordon healthhy
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#31 » by tooler » Mon Nov 9, 2015 1:09 pm

Yeah I think the hype around Mario was a totally misplaced narrative, but the shot is pure and no one has a better work ethic.

I also think the years of professional experience are less important than being the man (or at least a big contributor) on a good team.
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#32 » by King Close » Mon Nov 9, 2015 3:26 pm

Ducklett wrote:Help me understand. What do you guys see in him so far?

Potential. A 20 year old kid with 7 NBA games under his belt. Excellent length, can play the 2 and the 3, extremely athletic, outstanding shot, a tremendous amount of confidence (all the greats have big ego's), and the list goes on and on. You have given up on him already which is pathetic, but then again - it's your opinion; which everyone I have seen has disagreed with.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#33 » by Tayswagzzz » Mon Nov 9, 2015 3:31 pm

Ahh this is a tough one. All are great.

Mario/Napier will pay off more down the line. Napier is very intriguing...if we could keep this PG rotation for the future and beyond that would be amazing. Mario will have a great NBA career, too early to tell if he's superstar status though.

CJ Watson. He seems to be the most notable veteran presence, great floor general, makes smart decisions with the ball. His shot has been a little off but he'll get it back, he's still quick and he defends and rotates well on that end of the floor.

Jason Smith is my pick at this point in time. Adds depth and a threat with the mid range / plays tough / average rebounder,blocker / highlight ruiner. He's impressed me on the defensive end more than anything to his game though.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by damo[23] » Mon Nov 9, 2015 6:09 pm

Watson and Smith have genuinely been impressive to me, both are what I'd want/expect of bench role players. Might not be 6th man game changer material game in game out (Mario might well be as he develops) but its that workman like effort and production from the bench.
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#35 » by CraZyPraiZ » Mon Nov 9, 2015 6:34 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:I have expected way more from CJ Watson.And I wanted him badly on the Magic team.Seems he came too late in his career?He is danger close to Duhon in my mind.Bricking open shoots and I always thought he can actually shoot really well.At least he tries to defend and distributes nicely but atm Id rather give his minutes to Napier Payton and Dipo.Maybe he will get his sht together but atm he would be in my doghouse.

Mario after all the Kobesque hype fell short ...still its just 7 games.Hopefully he can bounce back and by the end of the season we can see more of him but now its hard to be impressed.Silly mistakes silly Tos walking etc.Ballhandling skills none existing(this is not enough on this level from a guy who plays pro ball sincee 12yo).So atm when his shot is off (like 0/4 he doesnt look very well).Also works on defense .... praised him for awesome defense on Derozan but Derozan scored what? 14 pts on him in the 3rd?We need to be patient with him ofc NBA is diffrent from the Euro ball but some of you sound like he is adjusting to nba coming from volleyball,soccer or synch swimming.
I really think he will be great and its awesome he is coached by Skilles not Vaughn :D but atm its hard to vote for him.

Smith is exactly what Ive expected him to be.Still Id rather have Kyle :(

Napier reminds me of Jameer :D

Lost me right about there.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#36 » by drsd » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:27 pm

Orlando has been a much better defender of long-jumpers, including the 3-ball. That is all to Coach Skiles credit.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#37 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:29 pm

I say they are all about there same. None of them truly stand out thus far as it has been too early in the season. They all appear to be solid 5-15mpg players thus far with Mario being the only one that can earn more minutes as the season moves on if there are no injuries.

But honestly, outside of Mario, it would be easy to sign a replacement via Free Agency and not miss a beat with these guys.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#38 » by drsd » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:34 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Smith's play has also jumped him past Channing Frye on the depth chart.

Just read Smith is out with Vučević. This is Frye's turn to step up.

darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#39 » by darthcheech2000 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:43 pm

Its Mario for me. He has not lived up to my expectations so far, but he'll get there.

The other 3 have been great additions, particularly Jason "the people's elbow" Smith, who is a close second to Mario IMO.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#40 » by Ducklett » Mon Nov 9, 2015 9:21 pm

Imafoo1 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Help me understand. What do you guys see in him so far?

Potential. A 20 year old kid with 7 NBA games under his belt. Excellent length, can play the 2 and the 3, extremely athletic, outstanding shot, a tremendous amount of confidence (all the greats have big ego's), and the list goes on and on. You have given up on him already which is pathetic, but then again - it's your opinion; which everyone I have seen has disagreed with.

If I had given up on him I wouldn't be asking for you guys to help me understand what you see in him... I would just write him off and not care a lick about him. I want him to succeed, I just haven't see anything in these first couple of games outside of defense on DeRozan that really has sold me on him being good to great.

Return to Orlando Magic