ImageImageImageImage

Why is Aaron Gordon buried on the bench?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Re: Why is Aaron Gordon buried on the bench? 

Post#41 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:10 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:And regarding what is the long-term answer. Well, the answer is that the better player gets more minutes and if we have too many good players at one position and they start bitching about minutes, you make the best trade you can. We're not there yet, but we may be there this summer if we can't match Fournier. We have options.

True, but if Fournier is still on the team past the trade deadline, I'd be shocked if Hennigan doesn't match a contract offer.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#42 » by Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:26 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Gordon will be a PF when all is said and done as he grows into his body.

Hezonga will be the SF of the future.

I expect Harris to be moved 2-3 years down road.

How much more weight do you think he needs to add?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#43 » by Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:I think Gordon is playing well. Unfortunately Fournier is playing better and I don't think AG is a PF, and the coaching staff might not want him at the 4 so much. We've also now got Frye being very efficient and contributing on rebounds.

Until some of our defenders can score, we're going to have to sacrifice on one end for our offense.

This. I was about to mention the same thing. Glad you said it first.

Perhaps it's wiser to sit him than ruin his development by playing him at PF. I would hate it if Aaron started to feel like his only chance at getting on the court is as a PF and then proceed to try and turn himself into one. He'll be the next Derrick Williams / Anthony Bennett story if that happens.

Evan's play is not shocking to Magic fans, but it is surpassing expectations. It's not like we all rushed to draft him in our fantasy drafts...and don't we all regret not picking him up off the wire first? lol. If Henny saw this coming, I doubt we would've taken Hezonja. I won't bash the player, but I do think it was a miscalculation on Henny's part. The whole idea of drafting Hezonja felt like a mistrust in our current assets, but we're shooting for the moon here, so hopefully we get our Superstar in him.

Between Fournier playing 30+ min and Hezonja also getting time, I don't see ANY place for Gordon to have the proper opportunity to develop into a star here. It's killin' me inside.

Why you say gordon can t play pf?he was drafted as a pf and played also pf at arizona.

Umm... no. He played SF at Arizona.

Not sure it is so easy to say he was drafted as a PF. He was a tweener SF/PF during the draft process and people today STILL discuss which position is best for him... It's not black or white at all.

Curious... if you thought he was a PF draft prospect, are there other PF draft prospects that you compared or would've compared him to?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#44 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I dont see whats so unjust about 18 mpg for gordon. Skiles uses lineup combinations that he thinks gives us the best chance to win at the time and right now gordon isnt better than some of the other options we have available.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#45 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:This. I was about to mention the same thing. Glad you said it first.

Perhaps it's wiser to sit him than ruin his development by playing him at PF. I would hate it if Aaron started to feel like his only chance at getting on the court is as a PF and then proceed to try and turn himself into one. He'll be the next Derrick Williams / Anthony Bennett story if that happens.

Evan's play is not shocking to Magic fans, but it is surpassing expectations. It's not like we all rushed to draft him in our fantasy drafts...and don't we all regret not picking him up off the wire first? lol. If Henny saw this coming, I doubt we would've taken Hezonja. I won't bash the player, but I do think it was a miscalculation on Henny's part. The whole idea of drafting Hezonja felt like a mistrust in our current assets, but we're shooting for the moon here, so hopefully we get our Superstar in him.

Between Fournier playing 30+ min and Hezonja also getting time, I don't see ANY place for Gordon to have the proper opportunity to develop into a star here. It's killin' me inside.

Why you say gordon can t play pf?he was drafted as a pf and played also pf at arizona.

Not sure it is so easy to say he was drafted as a PF. He was a tweener SF/PF during the draft process and people today STILL discuss which position is best for him... It's not black or white at all.

Curious... if you thought he was a PF draft prospect, are there other PF draft prospects that you compared or would've compared him to?

Um no, he played PF in college. Here's the roster of the last college game he played.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400549675

Don't make crap up. :noway:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#46 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Gordon will be a PF when all is said and done as he grows into his body.

Like Rodman did, about 20-30lbs.

Rodman was lighter and skinnier as a rookie at 23. Then, he played SF for 2 years exclusively before developing into a PF.

Gordon is already solidly built like PF. All I can say is wait and see because Gordon will always be a full time PF who plays situational SF regardless how much people wish he wasn't.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#47 » by Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:49 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:Why you say gordon can t play pf?he was drafted as a pf and played also pf at arizona.

Um no, he played PF in college. Here's the roster of the last college game he played.

Well, you're making up crap if you're saying he didn't play SF at Zona. In fact, the truth lies in between. He started his college career as a SF, but Zona moved him to PF towards the end of the season when Brandon Ashley broke his foot. He wanted to play SF because he wanted to prove to NBA scouts that he could play the position. Following him from HS to college that was among the popular draft stories at the time.

Coming into the draft, the position that he would play was a big issue of debate... and it still is today.

The past is neither here nor there... the issue still remains... How will Aaron Gordon be the best player he can be? Right now, he's got to be disappointed with himself and how the team has handled his playing time.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#48 » by Truth24 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Skin wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
Skin wrote:Umm... no. He played SF at Arizona.

Well, you're making up crap if you're saying he didn't play SF at Zona. In fact, the truth lies in between. He started his college career as a SF, but Zona moved him to PF towards the end of the season when Brandon Ashley broke his foot. He wanted to play SF because he wanted to prove to NBA scouts that he could play the position. Following him from HS to college that was among the popular draft stories at the time.

Coming into the draft, the position that he would play was a big issue of debate... and it still is today.

The past is neither here nor there... the issue still remains... How will Aaron Gordon be the best player he can be? Right now, he's got to be disappointed with himself and how the team has handled his playing time.

I was just about to post this, and he played both pretty well at Arizona nothing really dropped off for him when he played either spots.
Skin
RealGM

Post#49 » by Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:15 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skin wrote:

Like Rodman did, about 20-30lbs.

Rodman was lighter and skinnier as a rookie at 23. Then, he played SF for 2 years exclusively before developing into a PF.

Gordon is already solidly built like PF. All I can say is wait and see because Gordon will always be a full time PF who plays situational SF regardless how much people wish he wasn't.

I hate comparisons to players in other eras. Especially since Rodman was such a unique player... I don't see how that comparison works for me.

I agree Gordon is solidly built, but he doesn't fit your prototypical PF build. If you look at the top SFs in the game, they are more similarly reflective of Gordon - 6'9, 230.

Paul George - 6'9, 220
Kawhi Leonard - 6'7, 230
Rudy Gay - 6'8, 230
Kevin Durant - 6'9, 240
Carmelo Anthony - 6'8, 240
Lebron James - 6'8, 250

Gordon has the potential to legitimately defend these guys (as well as humanely possible, which is still a tough task). He has the light feet and explosiveness to keep up with them. The same cannot be said of him defending the top PFs in the game.

You are the position that you can defend.

I don't think the best thing for him is to add 20-30 lbs like you suggest. He would lose some of his explosiveness which is his gift. Nor does he possess a freakish wingspan to make up for a loss like that.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#50 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 pm

I wouldn't call it being buried on the bench. He's getting close to 20 mins a game. I think what's happening, and is standard around here, is that people are impatient. Skiles knows what he's doing and what he's doing is working thus far. Its called balancing showing some progress while developing our talent. We're done with just force feeding our young guys and taking the losses that come with that.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#51 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:00 pm

We're not doing our best to develop him into the best player he can be, period. We're basically telling the player with the most raw talent and highest ceiling on the team to "get in where you fit in around these other guys". Even if that is out of position. Why the hell do we have him hovering around the paint trying to post up PF's (and even C's in some cases) all game? Why have we not taken advantage of his ability to handle and pass the ball? We should seriously let him run some pick and rolls. How about his improved shooting off the dribble? When do we let him do that? Why is he catching the ball at the top of the 3 point line with his defender 10 feet off of him and not even looking at the rim? In a lot of cases this season he is being guarded by slower PF's. That's a mismatch. Why aren't we taking advantage of that? Instead we have him posting them up and it becomes a mismatch not in our favour. Why is he never guarding the other teams best perimeter players?

And our fans are fine with this as they themselves don't even seem to realise how much underused skill and untapped potential he really has. Will we ever give him the chance to tap into the type of player he can truly be? Is our #4 pick ever going to be able to make and learn from his mistakes? Probably not on this team it seems like. But another team will give him that chance. And if we haven't crushed his confidence too much by that time, I know he's going to make us regret it. And we'll still be here waiting for Evan Fournier and Tobias Harris to lead us to the promised land.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#52 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:33 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:We're not doing our best to develop him into the best player he can be, period. We're basically telling the player with the most raw talent and highest ceiling on the team to "get in where you fit in around these other guys". Even if that is out of position. Why the hell do we have him hovering around the paint trying to post up PF's (and even C's in some cases) all game? Why have we not taken advantage of his ability to handle and pass the ball? We should seriously let him run some pick and rolls. How about his improved shooting off the dribble? When do we let him do that? Why is he catching the ball at the top of the 3 point line with his defender 10 feet off of him and not even looking at the rim? In a lot of cases this season he is being guarded by slower PF's. That's a mismatch. Why aren't we taking advantage of that? Instead we have him posting them up and it becomes a mismatch not in our favour. Why is he never guarding the other teams best perimeter players?

And our fans are fine with this as they themselves don't even seem to realise how much underused skill and untapped potential he really has. Will we ever give him the chance to tap into the type of player he can truly be? Is our #4 pick ever going to be able to make and learn from his mistakes? Probably not on this team it seems like. But another team will give him that chance. And if we haven't crushed his confidence too much by that time, I know he's going to make us regret it. And we'll still be here waiting for Evan Fournier and Tobias Harris to lead us to the promised land.

Mate, this obsession you have is starting to worry the rest of us....
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#53 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:We're not doing our best to develop him into the best player he can be, period. We're basically telling the player with the most raw talent and highest ceiling on the team to "get in where you fit in around these other guys". Even if that is out of position. Why the hell do we have him hovering around the paint trying to post up PF's (and even C's in some cases) all game? Why have we not taken advantage of his ability to handle and pass the ball? We should seriously let him run some pick and rolls. How about his improved shooting off the dribble? When do we let him do that? Why is he catching the ball at the top of the 3 point line with his defender 10 feet off of him and not even looking at the rim? In a lot of cases this season he is being guarded by slower PF's. That's a mismatch. Why aren't we taking advantage of that? Instead we have him posting them up and it becomes a mismatch not in our favour. Why is he never guarding the other teams best perimeter players?

:lol: Alright whatever. I'm sick of posting the same thing over and over again. The incompetence of this franchise leaves me no choice.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,545

Post#54 » by SOUL » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:44 pm

I'm not panicking as much as Starwipe lol, but every year there are players that deserve to play that clearly don't because the coach is too attached to certain players.

AG is clearly valuable in games (and when he gets the opportunity, he seems to have been making the most of it) - what worries me more is people saying things like he's not ready or maybe he's not good when we've literally seen him impact the game and during the game people are clamoring for AG to play because they saw him add stuff to the game which helped our team.

Skiles doesn't need excuses made for him - either he's on some limit or not, and he does deserve more minutes. There's no denying that. We're 4-5, not 6-2 or anything and arguably could've gave us 2 wins if we stayed with AG longer when he was doing damage.

I don't think this is indicative of what minutes he'll get in the future or anything, and they still might be easing him back. Still doesn't mean that every choice Skiles makes for the team is the right choice. Arguably any teams fans can question stuff like this unless you're the Spurs or Warriors or something.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#55 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:51 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

:lol: Alright whatever. I'm sick of posting the same thing over and over again. The incompetence of this franchise leaves me no choice.

I can't see that what is it? is it a link to his summer league performances?
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#56 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

I can't see that what is it? is it a link to his summer league performances?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Why am I high on him? I've studied tons of film on him. I expected him to be able to do the types of things he did at summer league. I didn't expect his jumper to be that improved yet.
Skin
RealGM

Post#57 » by Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Wooh! I love the passion!

The thing that scares me is that Skiles has a history of doing this to Tobias who was also a tweener in MIL. He never had the chance and as soon as he came to ORL, BAM!!!

Loved your points. You brought to light something that often goes unsaid... that Gordon is actually a very good passer. He showed this in college, but we have yet to see him in the role as a playmaker over here.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#58 » by Patrick1978 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:29 pm

Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:This. I was about to mention the same thing. Glad you said it first.

Both draftexpress and nbadraft.net listed him as pf in the draft express.he has his strenghts around the basket and for the pf is his best spot.in the 2014 draft there were no pf s that i compared to him but i thought henny would draft vonleh.anyway skiles has to put aaron on the floor for at least for 25 minutes.the guy has a great potential and could become a great player.i wish aaron the best.i like him as a player
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#59 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:33 pm

SOUL wrote:I'm not panicking as much as Starwipe lol, but every year there are players that deserve to play that clearly don't because the coach is too attached to certain players.

AG is clearly valuable in games (and when he gets the opportunity, he seems to have been making the most of it) - what worries me more is people saying things like he's not ready or maybe he's not good when we've literally seen him impact the game and during the game people are clamoring for AG to play because they saw him add stuff to the game which helped our team.

Skiles doesn't need excuses made for him - either he's on some limit or not, and he does deserve more minutes. There's no denying that. We're 4-5, not 6-2 or anything and arguably could've gave us 2 wins if we stayed with AG longer when he was doing damage.

I don't think this is indicative of what minutes he'll get in the future or anything, and they still might be easing him back. Still doesn't mean that every choice Skiles makes for the team is the right choice. Arguably any teams fans can question stuff like this unless you're the Spurs or Warriors or something.

thats what i dont get

like i said maybe people are saying different things than i am but gordon has looked pretty good. people are acting like I want to see Harkless get more mins. Gordon produces when hes out there. And I dont understand why people are saying him and Hezonja are in the same boat. Gordon is a strong defender.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#60 » by MitchellUK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Because he's 20 years old, with more established players ahead of him, on a team with a new coach who is still trying to figure out what his best rotation is. Fournier is playing well as the starting 3, Tobias has been playing well at the 4. Smith was doing the little veteran things that coaches love before he got injured, and we're also trying to find PT for Hezonja on the wing, which has involved him playing the 3 at times.

We've all heard Skiles talk. He's not about moral victories and looking at the positive sides of defeats, he's all about the Ws and Ls. He's is also an old-school coach, with whom young players have to earn his trust and their playing time. Aaron hasn't been buried, he's been getting 18mpg. I'd like to see a little more of him, but I'd also like to see us keep adding some digits in the W column. I still feel confident that as the season goes on Evan will not be playing 40mpg and the minutes taken from him will go to Mario and Aaron.

Return to Orlando Magic