ImageImageImageImage

Around the League 2016-17 Season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Re: Around the League 2015-16 Season 

Post#1261 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:22 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
SOUL wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:I wouldn't call it a whiff. We really had no shot.

Oh, we definitely had a shot. He interviewed with us and chose the Hawks, better odds than most teams.

I wonder if we still would've moved Oladipo this year without the need for Ibaka if we got Millsap.

As much as I wanted Millsap signing to go down, Ibaka fits a bigger need. Having both Millsap and Gordon seems a bit redundant. AG needs to play the SF and Vuc needs help in the paint. Teams would murder a frontline of Vuc and Millsap. Absolutely no shot blocking.

Have you ever seen Millsap play?
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#1262 » by Shady Franchise » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:07 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Oh, we definitely had a shot. He interviewed with us and chose the Hawks, better odds than most teams.

I wonder if we still would've moved Oladipo this year without the need for Ibaka if we got Millsap.

As much as I wanted Millsap signing to go down, Ibaka fits a bigger need. Having both Millsap and Gordon seems a bit redundant. AG needs to play the SF and Vuc needs help in the paint. Teams would murder a frontline of Vuc and Millsap. Absolutely no shot blocking.

Just out of curiosity, why are people ok with having Millsap on the Magic, who is 31, but frowned upon receiving Ibaka, who is 26, in trade? I recall a large percent of RealGM Magic posters frowning on the idea that Ibaka may be closer to 30, than 26 years old. If that's the case, why wouldn't the board frown upon signing Millsap last year, or the team's attempt at Horford this year? This is the question of the offseason for me. If Ibaka makes the jump in numbers to Millsap's level (17/9/3), then we received a way younger player than either Millsap or Horford. I think Ibaka's stats can jump 4/2/2 more with a larger role on the Magic. Would you guys consider the Oladipo trade more fair had he been traded for Millsap or Horford, rather than Ibaka? I think we are better off with Ibaka (resigned) and Fournier, than we would have been with Oladipo and Millsap or Horford. I'm content how this off season has gone down.
Do not max Vuc!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#1263 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Shady Franchise wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why are people ok with having Millsap on the Magic, who is 31, but frowned upon receiving Ibaka, who is 26, in trade? I recall a large percent of RealGM Magic posters frowning on the idea that Ibaka may be closer to 30, than 26 years old. If that's the case, why wouldn't the board frown upon signing Millsap last year, or the team's attempt at Horford this year? This is the question of the offseason for me. If Ibaka makes the jump in numbers to Millsap's level (17/9/3), then we received a way younger player than either Millsap or Horford. I think Ibaka's stats can jump 4/2/2 more with a larger role on the Magic. Would you guys consider the Oladipo trade more fair had he been traded for Millsap or Horford, rather than Ibaka? I think we are better off with Ibaka (resigned) and Fournier, than we would have been with Oladipo and Millsap or Horford. I'm content how this off season has gone down.

Simple. Millsap is a top 10 player who outclasses ibaka both offensively and defensively
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#1264 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:16 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Shady Franchise wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:As much as I wanted Millsap signing to go down, Ibaka fits a bigger need. Having both Millsap and Gordon seems a bit redundant. AG needs to play the SF and Vuc needs help in the paint. Teams would murder a frontline of Vuc and Millsap. Absolutely no shot blocking.

Simple. Millsap is a top 10 player who outclasses ibaka both offensively and defensively

Top 10? Better paint defense then Ibaka? Easy now...
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#1265 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm

it is shocking how little people know about millsap

dudes a beast
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#1266 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:20 pm

A few of us on the Trade Board have been doing a series on every team's offseason, and Orlando's is now up at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1469046, including guest review from Howard.

As always, feedback from orlando fans about the offseason is welcome and appreciated.

(Also, sorry if there was a better thread to post this in)
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#1267 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:49 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
Shady Franchise wrote:

Top 10? Better paint defense then Ibaka? Easy now...

I pretty much said all this in the stupid Ibaka vs Millsap thread we had 3 weeks ago, but I'll try again:

ESPN’s Zach Lowe explaining Millsap as his pick for runner-up for Defensive Player of the Year: wrote:People don’t think of Millsap as an elite defender. They don’t think of him much at all, really…But he has developed into the keystone of the league’s stingiest defense since Jan. 1 — a jack-of-all-trades with the speed to extinguish pick-and-rolls 30 feet from the basket, glue-trap hands that rip more steals than almost any big man in league history…(H)e can guard any position in a pinch. He’s a horse on the glass, always does his job in transition and plays hard on every damn possession.

He was better than Ibaka in Nylon Calculus's Rim Protection stat

He pretty much perfected the "Rip Steal"
Read on Twitter
/video/1]

Second in points per posession on post ups

Plus he's a great passer who can actually take guys off the dribble. He was the second best guy in the East last season.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#1268 » by KingRobb02 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:57 am

I'm so happy javale is back on a national stage.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#1269 » by Big A All Day » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:57 am

NavalAviator94 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:
Thankfully we have his Bird Rights and that 5th year. Barring something unforeseen we should be able to resign him.

On the above note I think Rob went with Evan because Vic was able to get us the type of player at the 4 we needed badly. We had the luxury of Evan. Ultimately I think Vic will be the better player but Evan + Ibaka makes us a better team than if we kept Vic. Evan just may surprise us though which would be interesting to see.

The original comment was referencing Evan's team friendly deal in comparison to Oladipo's max requests. It looks good now, but is Ibaka going to give us a team friendly deal as well? Is so, then it is safe to declare this trade a win for Orlando. If not, then much more than $$ will eventually grade this trade.

Gotcha.

I think it's safe to say Ibaka isn't giving anyone a team friendly deal. Teams will be lining up for him with Max contracts and we'll be first in line with that 5th year. As long as Ibaka is healthy and Evan produces at close to the level and efficiency of last year then I say it was a good trade for Orlando.

Teams will be lining up to sign him to a max and if signs elsewhere it'll be touted as a great signing all over ESPN/Online and a A+ grade for that team lol.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1270 » by MoMM » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:02 pm

San Antonio Spurs @spurs
Spurs sign forward Patricio Garino » http://gospu.rs/2aAFTFU
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#1271 » by EAS Law » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

As an "around the league" post, I get that KAT had a nice rookie campaign, but where is this talk of Minny being a Western powerhouse coming from? Lol they haven't sniffed the playoffs in over 10 years, and while KAT is a good player, Wiggins is now being compared generally to Kobe and KAT to Shaq... What the hell am I seeing here?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#1272 » by Statlanta » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:05 pm

EAS Law wrote:As an "around the league" post, I get that KAT had a nice rookie campaign, but where is this talk of Minny being a Western powerhouse coming from? Lol they haven't sniffed the playoffs in over 10 years, and while KAT is a good player, Wiggins is now being compared generally to Kobe and KAT to Shaq... What the hell am I seeing here?

People are hyped and I think it's best to jump on the bandwagon now before the become an circa 2012 OKC or a current Warriors. That said I have them pegged for the 9th seed out West as they will have growing pains(as well as dealing with Thibs)
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1273 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:53 pm

EAS Law wrote:As an "around the league" post, I get that KAT had a nice rookie campaign, but where is this talk of Minny being a Western powerhouse coming from? Lol they haven't sniffed the playoffs in over 10 years, and while KAT is a good player, Wiggins is now being compared generally to Kobe and KAT to Shaq... What the hell am I seeing here?

KAT, Wiggins and not Dunn give them a fantastic young trio for coach Thibs. Toss in quality role players (many also young) in Lavine, Rubio, Shabazz and Dieng and they have something brewing.

They are still a year or two away from being a threat but if you ignore the chance of major injuries, only a fool would struggle to see how stocked with talent they are.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#1274 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Aug 1, 2016 12:51 am

I personally think their future potential is a bit overrated.

KAT is obviously extremely good and very precocious but he has a weird build and not the best athleticism. He is a really good all around big with really good perimeter skills for a young player but I'm not convinced he has superstar talent.

Wiggins has improved as a scorer but still has a lot of holes in his game such as passing, dribbling, defense.

I thought Dunn looked pretty good in Summer League but you must remember he is already 22 years old, the same age as Elfrid.
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#1275 » by King Close » Mon Aug 1, 2016 1:53 am

I have been big on KAT for a while now, Dunn is a good prospect, they got a top 5 coach in Thibs, but Wiggins to me is overrated.

Wiggins came into the league advertised to be the next best thing at the SF slot with elite defense and potential on both ends of the ball, but his defense has been very bad both years, and his offense not so great either (albeit he put up good PPG). Well, that's a discussion for another day so I won't get into that.

Kat alone is enough to bring an extreme amount of hype to any team, as a 20 year old rookie (19 to start the season) he is already one of the best bigs in the NBA, you don't see that often. Guy put up 18/11/2/2 (21/12 Per 36), has a good jumper, so on and so forth. The hype on him is well earned.
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#1276 » by King Close » Mon Aug 1, 2016 1:55 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:

KAT is obviously extremely good and very precocious but he has a weird build and not the best athleticism. He is a really good all around big with really good perimeter skills for a young player but I'm not convinced he has superstar talent.

Wiggins has improved as a scorer but still has a lot of holes in his game such as passing, dribbling, defense.

I thought Dunn looked pretty good in Summer League but you must remember he is already 22 years old, the same age as Elfrid.

Not to knitt pick on your post because I do agree with majority of it, but how do you not believe KAT will not be a superstar? I watched alot of Minny games last year (I have been high on KAT for a while), and he is just a phenomenal talent.

Again, just curious and wanted to see your POV.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#1277 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Aug 1, 2016 2:07 am

Imafoo1 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

Not to knitt pick on your post because I do agree with majority of it, but how do you not believe KAT will not be a superstar? I watched alot of Minny games last year (I have been high on KAT for a while), and he is just a phenomenal talent.

Again, just curious and wanted to see your POV.

He is more of an all around player and a master of none. doesn't really have a go to move. He doesn't necessarily strike fear in the heart of a defense, at least not yet and I question how much more he has to grow.

That and he doesn't have the best body.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#1278 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Aug 1, 2016 2:08 am

I just remember watching Whiteside dominate him inside and Towns looked like a bitch compared to him, and was really relegated to his outside jumper.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#1279 » by Hilltop » Mon Aug 1, 2016 2:26 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Not sure I agree with MIllsap and Gordon being redundant. They bring different skills to the table.

Also, Millsap is a great shotblocker.
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#1280 » by Shady Franchise » Mon Aug 1, 2016 4:56 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Shady Franchise wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:As much as I wanted Millsap signing to go down, Ibaka fits a bigger need. Having both Millsap and Gordon seems a bit redundant. AG needs to play the SF and Vuc needs help in the paint. Teams would murder a frontline of Vuc and Millsap. Absolutely no shot blocking.

Ok, well for how much longer though? My concern was Millsap's age, not his talent. How much longer can Millsap keep it up? And yes, Millsap is a beast, but no, Millsap is not a top 10 player. Maybe top 10 in the East, but not top 10 overall.
Do not max Vuc!

Return to Orlando Magic