ImageImageImageImage

Magic(19-16) vs. Pacers(19-15)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Re: Magic(19-16) vs. Pacers(19-15) 

Post#541 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jan 8, 2016 2:49 am

The problem is you are not seeing the minute mistakes the young guys are making and are just seeing numbers. You see Fournier or Harris or Frye missing shots and you see Gordon go 8/8 and cannot comprehend why he isnt in there during the 4th. Skiles doesnt care. Fournier is in there for a reason that despite his missed shots all of which were wide open within the offense he is still able to execute the team offense. It is system first and everything else later. Skiles doesnt care if anyone misses shots if they take the ones theyre supposed to. He doesn't care about missed passes if the intent was correct.

Right now Gordon is a garbage man who gets points outside of the system and gets rebounds with good effort. He is out of place on offense and cannot run the offense completely yet or the defense. He is making a lot of progress and his iq is rapidly catching up to his energy. Its just a matter of time. Film and practice is just as valuable for him now.

Mario is an offensive decoy. They are getting minutes.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#542 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:07 am

You're sort of creating a faultless situation then with some players. If certain players are never going to execute and just are out there because of the threat, it's hurting us more than the other team because we're still not making buckets. I can make the argument that Gordon should always be out there because of his defensive prowess, and even if he misses an assignment he can rotate quicker than people that stick with their assignments and just don't have the agility or deft to be an impact player. It just matters how the coach sees it, some are okay with that, some aren't.

For me, I want to go to bat with my biggest weapons. Even when we had a good offensive flow (mostly because of Vuc) I was arguing that the offense still doesn't suit our style of play and that we still work way too hard to get an open shot, and that the offense doesn't really suit our personnel. I basically said that since we barely go to the line, shoot a lot of jumpers and make occasional threes, there is way less room for error.

It's hard to find many other teams misusing players as much as us. It's just true. In one way or another, they seem to be playing a style they don't seem fully comfortable in (Payton, Oladipo), getting less attempts (Harris), not getting much offense ran for them (Frye, Hezonja, AG), and the only ones really that benefit are Vucevic, Fournier and Jason Smith.

It's time to open things up a bit. We can't afford to keep doing the same thing and getting in holes against good teams. Especially if we're preaching playoffs, we've thrown away too many games this year let alone 1/3 of the season.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#543 » by JF5 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:13 am

rcklsscognition wrote:Lot of people blaming Skiles when we can't hit open looks. Check out this video of the Celtics' offense. It looks just like ours except they hit shots. Notice the part when they start making bad decisions, looks like 80% of our games:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3Q3qODbyo[/youtube]

I'm yet to be convinced this isn't just as much on our players as it is our coach and system. Obviously the coach is responsible for teaching the guys something, but I'm not sure this system of his is ineffective. Maybe they need to expand and include some other options, but the foundation seems to be there philosophically.

He should add elements of other plays that fit the roster...

One of the plays that is ineffectively ran the majority of the time is called is the double pick at the top of the key with Oladipo + Nicholson/Smith... It consistently impedes Oladipo's momentum to the rim and it forces him to make a quick decision which he's not capable of as a ball handler. He's more effective with a single screen and shooters surrounding him.

I keep saying this, but Vaughn I feel knew how to run an offense more attuned to the rosters/ skill set than Skiles does. Oladipo/Payton are more effective/better with the ball in their hands. Ball movement works to some degree, but I feel like it lessens their abilities.
ElfridMVP
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#544 » by ElfridMVP » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:19 am

JF5 wrote:I keep saying this, but Vaughn I feel knew how to run an offense more attuned to the rosters/ skill set than Skiles does.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#545 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:20 am

I sort of agree in a broad sense, although he wasn't really good at anything else.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#546 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Jan 8, 2016 4:08 am

He might have been, but it wouldn't really be saying much. If Skiles is an F, Vaughn was a D-.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#547 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jan 8, 2016 4:23 am

Now that has gone too far. Too much to deal with on this topic. I want to see the team with Payton at 100% again against solid competition and see if anything is seriously broken. We have a trade deadline and an offseason where some key minute takers may leave our team.
zelenooq
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#548 » by zelenooq » Fri Jan 8, 2016 8:48 am

Immature Luigi wrote:No offensive creativity whatsoever..... Has the worst shooters shooting all the 3s with the best(Frye) and second best(Hezonja) on the bench and when they do play they're just out there for spacing.

The same way JV destroyed Nicholsons confidence, skiles has done the same thing to hezonja. Swagger is gone, has him playing scared and on rails trying to make the right play instead of doing what he does best.

Don't know what he's thinking when it comes to AG solid first half then...... Nothing..... Idk how to feel anymore about this team

i think his swager isn't gone
just play what skiles want him to play
when he shoot more (he was 67% from the game. 2s and 3s), he is benched,play like 10-15 mins (closer to 10 than to 15)
but when he gives ball away, try to pass or just give away as part of ballmovement then he play like 20 mins
it's same with AG
when AG scores i think 14 in 12 mins (right?) than he was benched
when he just pass away the ball,he play more
ofcourse,all the time defense must to be without more than 1 mistake
so,it is skiles,not swager
believe me
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#549 » by Last Guardian » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:26 pm

thelead wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
thelead wrote:Tobias' defense has been STELLAR yet people complain

Is anyone complaining about his defense? His offense is trash. He's worse than AG on offense.

I don't see him getting the same looks as he did in JV's system. Skiles has turned him into a spot up shooter. I wonder what LeBron would look like as a spot up shooter... The problem on offense is Skiles, not Tobias.

There is not much Skiles can do with this roster. If we don't play top 10 level defense, we will lose.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#550 » by thelead » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:44 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
thelead wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
Is anyone complaining about his defense? His offense is trash. He's worse than AG on offense.

I don't see him getting the same looks as he did in JV's system. Skiles has turned him into a spot up shooter. I wonder what LeBron would look like as a spot up shooter... The problem on offense is Skiles, not Tobias.

There is not much Skiles can do with this roster. If we don't play top 10 level defense, we will lose.

I agree but that's not on Tobias. He's playing great defense and standing in a corner on offense. He's doing exactly what Skiles wants him to do. Not sure what you want him to do on offense when the offense revolves around Evan, Dipo and Vuc.
zelenooq
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#551 » by zelenooq » Fri Jan 8, 2016 8:56 pm

Does anyone has Mario's highlights?
I would love to see that passes
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#552 » by JF5 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 2:30 am

Vic is really playing well... Not forcing much and allowing the game to come to him...
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#553 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jan 9, 2016 9:58 pm

Tobias is playing really well this season, primarily because of his floor game.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#554 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Jan 9, 2016 11:29 pm

zelenooq wrote:Does anyone has Mario's highlights?
I would love to see that passes

You can go on nba.com to any game's box score, click on the stat you want to see game video of, and click video, then it will show you that player's assists, or 3s or whatever in game clip. Here are Mario's assists from the Pacer's game.

http://on.nba.com/1mLUuBb

Return to Orlando Magic