ImageImageImageImage

any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

caseyw20021gm
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1 » by caseyw20021gm » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:23 pm

GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,691

Re: any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors? 

Post#2 » by GameOver25 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:27 pm

caseyw20021gm wrote:any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors?

caseyw20021gm
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by caseyw20021gm » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:28 pm

kyle allan
‏@kylexcited @stevekylerNBA any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors?
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#4 » by ezzzp » Fri Jan 8, 2016 9:55 pm

Nope...just some bs NY slanted site suggesting Harris and Oladipo for Melo. Melo has a no trade clause, he's not moving from NY to Orlando unless he thinks a championship is close.

Anyhow, that's a crap load of salary for a soon to be 32 year old maxed out through 2018-19 ($25m/26.5m/28m). Not sure thats as appealing as Knicks fans think it is.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#5 » by MagicMadness » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:08 pm

Ok, I looked up the rumor:

http://www.movienewsguide.com/new-york-knicks-rumors-carmelo-anthony-traded-away-orlando-magic/138390

I don't know why the Magic would throw away all they've been working towards the past couple of seasons to get an older player that would at most lead them to about the same mediocre record they have right now, so I hope there is no truth to the rumors.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#6 » by j-ragg » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:36 pm

Would be nice to have a go to guy but not with surgically kept together knees on the wrong side of his 30s and 100$ million left. I'd rather have Tobias at 16$ million.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,697

Post#7 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jan 8, 2016 10:39 pm

I'd trade Harris+ORL '16

That's it
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#8 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Jan 8, 2016 11:16 pm

The thing about rumors is that you don't know which ones are true. No one but Henny and Jackson can answer if this is true or not.

The rumor is interesting though. Not sure how much he'd improve this team at this time over Harris and Oladipo. We do need a go to guy, but we could potentially have a few on the roster already. Just need them to grow a little more. I'd rather try to swing for the fences and try to get Durant with the players we have.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#9 » by ezzzp » Fri Jan 8, 2016 11:32 pm

Viper1500 wrote:I'd trade Harris+ORL '16

That's it

played around to see what would make deal numbers match and just Harris and pick don't work...have to add Nicholson or Fournier or Frye
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#10 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jan 8, 2016 11:47 pm

got o agree wth j...tobias play and contract will look great after this yr...melo not so much to old and set in ways for magic..tobias D has been much better and he works hard and goes about things right way..cant see any trade for guy on wrong side of 30 on that kind of contract magic set to be really good in 2 more yrs and on...then maybe get that 30 yr old to put over top .now if he was 26 or 27 sure .but now melo wont put magic over top just set them back
Ohhwell8
Junior
And1: 180

Re: RE: Re: any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors? 

Post#11 » by Ohhwell8 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 12:21 am

ezzzp wrote:
Viper1500 wrote:I'd trade Harris+ORL '16

That's it

played around to see what would make deal numbers match and just Harris and pick don't work...have to add Nicholson or Fournier or Frye

Throw in Frye all day.

Payton
Fournier/Dipo
Gordon
Melo
Vuc

Improvement. Go after Whiteside(I know some don't care for him) next year and were dangerous.
jezzer45
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#12 » by jezzer45 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 12:28 am

j-ragg wrote:Would be nice to have a go to guy but not with surgically kept together knees on the wrong side of his 30s and 100$ million left. I'd rather have Tobias at 16$ million.

I wouldn't say 31 is wrong side of 30s. Also ha to all of you that want to max on horford but hate this.

I wouldn't give up dipo but would do Fournier and napier if they added Grant as well
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 516

Post#13 » by jjohns828 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 12:35 am

Even if the Magic were interested I question the idea that Melo would waive his no-trade clause to come here.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#14 » by j-ragg » Sat Jan 9, 2016 1:07 am

jezzer45 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Would be nice to have a go to guy but not with surgically kept together knees on the wrong side of his 30s and 100$ million left. I'd rather have Tobias at 16$ million.

I wouldn't say 31 is wrong side of 30s. Also ha to all of you that want to max on horford but hate this.

I wouldn't give up dipo but would do Fournier and napier if they added Grant as well

I just meant he's into his 30s, but yeah Horford actually fills a need. Tobias is just a lesser usage version of Melo, it would be completely redundant. But a big man who plays defense in the paint and can make a jumper, not so much.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#15 » by Skin » Sat Jan 9, 2016 1:08 am

If you give this an honest thought, it actually might be in the Magic's best interest. I like rumors like this even if it's not the PERFECT deal. Good stuff to chew on. 100% not happening.... but I would support the move depending on the trade parts.

Reason #1. With Skiles, this team is not about developing young talent. It's about winning now with vets. So since that is the case, in order for us to really be a win now team, we need a guy like Melo. This is like trading Tobias Harris for JJ Redick except on a bigger scale. Or like when Skiles was with the Bulls and they traded their #2 overall pick, LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa. Skiles would no doubt LOVE this move.

Skiles prefers vets, so let's give him vets. Why not go ALL IN?

Reason #2. If Vucevic is going to be our staple Center... then we need to give up on the thought that some unicorn do it all PF is going to solve all. Hell, let's be real. Even with Serge Ibaka, this team is not a contender. That is just not the answer. The answer is surrounding Vuc with more SCORERS. Melo is an ideal pairing with Vuc. Right now, having Vuc surrounded by defensive wings who can't score efficiently is a rotten recipe. It doesn't work well, and it never will. Until our wings are proficient scorers, this team, as it is structured around a non-defensive Center is just a dead end street. If we can trade Oladipo and Harris for Melo, that could very well be a good step for us.

Reason #3. Melo can attract other top FAs. If we decline to resign Fournier and lean on Hezonja to fill that spot, then we would have the cap space to pursue a max guy. If Melo is here, chasing Durant is not out of the question.

PG Elfrid Payton
SG Mario Hezonja
SF Kevin Durant
PF Carmelo Anthony
C Nikola Vucevic

Even without Durant, the fact that we could attract another top tier FA to pair with Melo, Vuc and Payton... that's exciting.

Reason #4. Melo is not young, but age isn't a major concern if you look up and down the rest of the roster. We have other young guys on the roster who we could slow down the maturation process on. Specifically Gordon.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#16 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Jan 9, 2016 1:48 am

I really hope not.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#17 » by fklt » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:22 am

I would not want him on this team, not even for a bag of chips. I we had melo right now, I'd amnesty that.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:24 am

Melo is 31 with downtrending shooting percentages from the field and 3 and has his lowest PER in the last 6 years. And he's making max money for the next 4 years. Unless I'm getting a bargain, I'm not all that interested.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#19 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:38 am

GameOver25 wrote:
caseyw20021gm wrote:any truth to the Melo to Magic trade rumors?

Encino Man! I miss classics like this :(
toquito
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#20 » by toquito » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:42 am

Def Swami wrote:Melo is 31 with downtrending shooting percentages from the field and 3 and has his lowest PER in the last 6 years. And he's making max money for the next 4 years. Unless I'm getting a bargain, I'm not all that interested.

His contract is gonna end up like Joe Johnson's most likely.

Return to Orlando Magic