ImageImageImageImage

Sweater Vest Thread #20: Magic 83 - Nets 77

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

20th win vest goes to...

Poll ended at Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:29 am

Tobias 9 pts (3/15 fg), 12 reb, 8 ast, 2 blk, +14
6%
Nikola 20 pts (9/23 fg), 10 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, +11
12%
Victor 20 pts (7/11 fg), 9 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl, 1 blk, +9
73%
Aaron 14 pts (6/8 fg), 5 reb, 1 ast
10%
Evan 13 pts (5/8 fg), 3 ast, 2 stl
No votes

Total votes: 52

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Sweater Vest Thread #20: Magic 83 - Nets 77 

Post#1 » by OrlandO » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:29 am

Note: poll closes in 24 hours due to back to back games.

Sweater Vests
Payton: 5
Vucevic: 5
Harris: 3
Oladipo: 2
Fournier: 1
Napier: 1
Nicholson: 1
Frye: 1
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Re: Sweater Vest Thread #20: Magic 83 - Nets 77 

Post#2 » by SOUL » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:44 am

If Vucevic wins this one I'm not sure people watch the game.

Oladipo, AG or Harris for me.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#3 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:47 am

I give this one to Victor. He has been playing outstanding lately. Came in with great energy from beginning to end. Took him a while but he has found his touch and is on a great rhythm. Some of those shots didn't even touch the net. I know we have given him a lot of hate in the beginning but he has responded back in the perfect way. Playing great basketball like tonight will shut everybody up.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#4 » by j-ragg » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:48 am

Voted AG just cus I think his energy helped put Brooklyn away. Should be him or Vic.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#5 » by ChosenSavior » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:58 am

I voted for this guy...

He is finally starting to play like his personal catch phrase. Very happy for Vic. Shout out to young AG for playing so intelligent on both ends in the 4th and for coach for keeping him in there.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#6 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Jan 9, 2016 3:59 am

I went with Vic because he gave us two waves of what we needed. He started us off on a blistering pace at the beginning to burn off the cobwebs and then had the timely 3s towards the later half of the game that kept us in there. Even though he got bogged down a bit at times, it was good overall. Nice lines by Tobias though, was shooting within the offense so can't hate too much on that. Gordon was solid in the 2nd half too. Vuc got it done ugly. Fournier kept the system functioning.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#7 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Jan 9, 2016 7:47 am

Oladipo, finally.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#8 » by j_n » Sat Jan 9, 2016 8:30 am

SOUL wrote:If Vucevic wins this one I'm not sure people watch the game.

Harris was much worse than Vuc tonight, I dont care about his 8 assists when 6 of them were for long contested jumpers, 2 of which were basically last second desperation shots by Oladipo that went down.

He had 2 legit assists, one was for AG dunk and another for an open corner 3 by Oladipo, the rest were low percentage shots, he shot 3-15 from the field and played poor defense on JJ.

You can watch the Video right here: http://on.nba.com/1IVxysV

Vuc had one of his worst games but still had a bunch of offensive putbacks that kept us in the game, Harris as a complete negative all night.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 8:30 am

Dipo
j_n
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by j_n » Sat Jan 9, 2016 11:06 am

Interesting quote from Skiles:

"We came out of the gate pretty sharp," Skiles said. "We were really moving the ball again and then our bench came in and kind of buzz-killed it a bit."
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#11 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jan 9, 2016 12:48 pm

Come get your vest Vic. Please shoot at least half as good as this the remainder of the season.

Shout out to AG, but I don't think he's ready yet...
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#12 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 9, 2016 2:18 pm

j_n wrote:Interesting quote from Skiles:

"We came out of the gate pretty sharp," Skiles said. "We were really moving the ball again and then our bench came in and kind of buzz-killed it a bit."

Lol. Well, he's right. Nicholson with the starters was fine. Then when the full bench rotation was in they all just sucked. I'm gonna chalk that up to the fact they don't have a strong playmaker like Oladipo amongst them anymore, and none of them have mastered movement and passing.

Still, we need to get Hezonja, AG and Nicholson those chances so I'll take it.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#13 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 9, 2016 2:19 pm

j_n wrote:

Harris was much worse than Vuc tonight, I dont care about his 8 assists when 6 of them were for long contested jumpers, 2 of which were basically last second desperation shots by Oladipo that went down.

He had 2 legit assists, one was for AG dunk and another for an open corner 3 by Oladipo, the rest were low percentage shots, he shot 3-15 from the field and played poor defense on JJ.

Vuc had one of his worst games but still had a bunch of offensive putbacks that kept us in the game, Harris as a complete negative all night.

had blocks, had steals, moved the ball around, played solid defense, and had a bad shooting night. but apparently now driving and passing the ball to an open jump shooter isnt a good assist. and no, they werent all long, contested jumpers

your usual hate for Harris shines brightly though. way to be consistent.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#14 » by OrlandO » Sat Jan 9, 2016 2:35 pm

Dipo was most consistent and efficient... started strong and finished strong. When he plays like that and scores 20 or more it's definitely huge for us. Vuc struggled much of the game, but carried us in the 3rd with 13/6 when we looked like ass... possible we go down double digits without his contributions that quarter as it was BK's best period. He saved the game. Harris struggled even more offensively, but at least he stayed on the glass (even if he went out of his way to steal uncontested boards from teammates) and shared the ball... those assists were needed without a real PG. AG helped close the game for us in the 4th with 9/4 without needing the ball in his hands. We might not pull it out without his energy and athleticism. All four of these guys had stretches where they carried us in some way, so they're all deserving of votes imo. Fournier... he shot it well, but I didn't think he stood out until he hit a big late three which seems to be a trend for him lately. He used to carry us and make the clutch shots.
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#15 » by mojosodope » Sat Jan 9, 2016 4:46 pm

j_n wrote:

Sometimes I really don't think we watch the same games
MagicManDC
Junior
And1: 64

Post#16 » by MagicManDC » Sat Jan 9, 2016 5:37 pm

Bensational wrote:
j_n wrote:Interesting quote from Skiles:

Lol. Well, he's right. Nicholson with the starters was fine. Then when the full bench rotation was in they all just sucked. I'm gonna chalk that up to the fact they don't have a strong playmaker like Oladipo amongst them anymore, and none of them have mastered movement and passing.

Still, we need to get Hezonja, AG and Nicholson those chances so I'll take it.

We needed this win. I wouldn't have gone to the bench as early in this game. But, I'm pro getting Mario and AG minutes to develop. It's ok giving Dipo an early break because he plays so hard.
MagicManDC
Junior
And1: 64

Post#17 » by MagicManDC » Sat Jan 9, 2016 5:41 pm

I love if both Dipo and Harris play within the offense. Vuc can be a go to option but should be the second option once we have the right players. I love Payton attacking and creating for the 3 above. We just need that 1# option.
j_n
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by j_n » Sat Jan 9, 2016 6:26 pm

mojosodope wrote:
j_n wrote:Harris was much worse than Vuc tonight, I dont care about his 8 assists when 6 of them were for long contested jumpers, 2 of which were basically last second desperation shots by Oladipo that went down.

Sometimes I really don't think we watch the same games

Ok, I watched the 12 field goal attempts by JJ http://on.nba.com/1MZlDVV
Maybe poor defense was harsh, inconsistent would fit better here but it certainly wasnt good.

Play 1 - Harris collapsed too hard and left JJ wide open for three, once he started to close out, JJ easily beat him and got an open floater in the paint.

Play 2 - lost JJ managed to somewhat bother the shot, though it was still a good look for a shooter.

Play 3 - Decides to cover Young instead of JJ which confused everyone on defnese, fails to stop the ball and JJ gets an open three before anyone realize whose supposed to cover him

Play 4 - JJ attacks Harris on the closeout, great recovery by Harris who blocks JJs shot

Play 5 - Harris stays in front of JJ and force him into a tough shot

Play 6 - Tobias switches to Young but than changes his mind which confuses Frye and leaves JJ for a wide open three.

Play 7 - JJ shakes Tobias and gets an open step back from the free throw line, though JJ shoved Harris to get free and got away with it

Play 8 - Tobias falls down and allow a wide open 3 for JJ

Play 9 - Great contest by Harris on a 28 foot three

Play 10 - JJ gets by Harris but Tobias gets the block? regardless, it looked like should have been afoul on Harris

Play 11 - good recovery by Harris to force JJ into a tough shot.

Play 12 - Harris gets screened and falls down allowing a wide open three for JJ.

2 plays where Harris played great defense
3 plays where Harris played solid defense
2 plays where Harris played subpar defense
5 plays where Harris Played terrible defense

All in all he wasnt good but JJ missed some open shots so it didnt cost us that much.
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#19 » by mojosodope » Sat Jan 9, 2016 8:06 pm

Bored, so I will go ahead and take this bait, mostly because I think you are betting on the fact that no one will actually watch your clips and take your word for your description of the plays.

I won't even get into your decision to omit the missed FGA's, according to you Harris was just lucky JJ missed.

j_n wrote:Ok, I watched the 12 field goal attempts by JJ http://on.nba.com/1MZlDVV
Maybe poor defense was harsh, inconsistent would fit better here but it certainly wasnt good.

Play 1 - Harris collapsed too hard and left JJ wide open for three, once he started to close out, JJ easily beat him and got an open floater in the paint.

Play 2 - lost JJ managed to somewhat bother the shot, though it was still a good look for a shooter.
Helped Frye who was late recovering after doubling on the wing. Could have blindly followed JJ to the corner and given up a layup to gain your approval, but instead we had a missed JJ jumper

Play 3 - Decides to cover Young instead of JJ which confused everyone on defnese, fails to stop the ball and JJ gets an open three before anyone realize whose supposed to cover him
What confused everyone was the fact it was a play in transition, not the fact that Harris guarded the man with the ball

Play 4 - JJ attacks Harris on the closeout, great recovery by Harris who blocks JJs shot

Play 5 - Harris stays in front of JJ and force him into a tough shot

Play 6 - Tobias switches to Young but than changes his mind which confuses Frye and leaves JJ for a wide open three.
jump ball situation, harris was closest to the man who controlled the jump ball (Thad Young), immediatley attempted to go to HIS man (JJ) realized he was leaving the ball wide open at the top of the key and no one was moving to EITHER player.

Play 7 - JJ shakes Tobias and gets an open step back from the free throw line, though JJ shoved Harris to get free and got away with it
Good offense

Play 8 - Tobias falls down and allow a wide open 3 for JJ
not sure what happened here, Fell while helping in the paint, slipped on Lopez's foot, i dont know. is this categorized under your "subpar" or "terrible" defense?

Play 9 - Great contest by Harris on a 28 foot three

Play 10 - JJ gets by Harris but Tobias gets the block? regardless, it looked like should have been afoul on Harris
Solid 1 on 1 defense for 9 seconds to force a shot clock violation

Play 11 - good recovery by Harris to force JJ into a tough shot.

Play 12 - Harris gets screened and falls down allowing a wide open three for JJ.
Your spin is amazing. He was TACKLED by lopez

2 plays where Harris played great defense
3 plays where Harris played solid defense
2 plays where Harris played subpar defense
5 plays where Harris Played terrible defense

All in all he wasnt good but JJ missed some open shots so it didnt cost us that much.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#20 » by p0peye » Sat Jan 9, 2016 9:06 pm

j_n wrote:

I find Tobias defense on JJ was impressive. If not for lousy shooting night (he was wide open on many of those 3pts and long jumpers), he would go toe-to-toe with Oladipo for this vest.

Return to Orlando Magic