ImageImageImageImage

Just fire Skiles

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,545

Re: Just fire Skiles 

Post#41 » by SOUL » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:29 am

shadrock wrote:Skiles is pushing this team hard, and so far, they have folded under pressure. Is that the coaches fault? No fking way. That's on the players. Also, whats the alternative? We coddle the guys like babies and give them 35 mins a game regardless of performance? Sounds like Jacque Vaughn all over again.

In summary, our players need to harden the **** up.

The people we want playing 35 minutes are the ones playing with effort and intensity and make the "right play" like Aaron was talking about.. passing to the open man regardless of who it is.

You've been simultaneously **** on players that have played soft and lazy and then get mad at posters like me constantly harping on the need to inject that sort of energy and effort into the lineup in starting AG or else it's literally going to be the same soft crap every night from a group of players with contrasting styles, energy levels and cohesion.

I feel like some posters just debate to debate.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#42 » by SOUL » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:34 am

JF5 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:So who is our team's Kyrie Irving, Lebron James, Steph Curry, Draymon Green, Russel Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Marc Gasol, and Mike Conley Jr.?

Because that is what your examples had.

LMAO, the usual medium for rebuilding is around 4-5 years. IF you have a Superstar caliber player it turns you into a contender. If you have good enough players, it turns you into a playoff team.

Again though, those players sans Draymond were getting attempts and put in positions to be franchise players since the start... we're starting our rebuild with players we acquired from picks + Oladipo, but even he has taken a backseat this year until recently.. the rebuild is going to be a lot slower the way we're doing it. Which is cool, but the same people preaching patience are the ones that will need it when our players are a year behind either statistically or development wise in game.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#43 » by Ducklett » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:58 am

SOUL wrote:
JF5 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:So who is our team's Kyrie Irving, Lebron James, Steph Curry, Draymon Green, Russel Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Marc Gasol, and Mike Conley Jr.?

Because that is what your examples had.

LMAO, the usual medium for rebuilding is around 4-5 years. IF you have a Superstar caliber player it turns you into a contender. If you have good enough players, it turns you into a playoff team.

Again though, those players sans Draymond were getting attempts and put in positions to be franchise players since the start... we're starting our rebuild with players we acquired from picks + Oladipo, but even he has taken a backseat this year until recently.. the rebuild is going to be a lot slower the way we're doing it. Which is cool, but the same people preaching patience are the ones that will need it when our players are a year behind either statistically or development wise in game.

So I guess the point of this rebuild was to top out at playoff team...
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#44 » by cedric76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 am

Skiles knows what he is doing, he sees those guys in practice too

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#45 » by paperboymafia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Smh, instant gratification or bust is a dangerous mentality.

Quite certain that the majority of people calling for his head would have bitten anyone's hand off if they had offered a guarantee at being only 2 games below .500 after 42 games.

Tweaks are needed yes, perhaps even a trade? Confident that Hennigan is active in the market.

It's true, some guys are not playing that well right now at all but c'mon its not easy to suddenly realise a teams potential or learn how to be consistent, *especially* after the hole we dug ourselves in after JV.

After 42 games, a few really good stretches for this team, in comparison to the last few years, should be looked upon as massively encouraging but not *indicative* of the future - but the improvement has been obvious so I think Skiles is here for the long haul. Not much can honestly justify his firing right now.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#46 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Yeah, no way he'll actually be fired this season. Nor should he be. The absolute earliest he would ever be fired would be past the halfway point of next season. And that's only if **** is really hitting the fan.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#47 » by T-Cat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:47 pm

I like Skiles as coach but I also like Luke Walton too!
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#48 » by JF5 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:48 pm

SOUL wrote:Again though, those players sans Draymond were getting attempts and put in positions to be franchise players since the start... we're starting our rebuild with players we acquired from picks + Oladipo, but even he has taken a backseat this year until recently.. the rebuild is going to be a lot slower the way we're doing it. Which is cool, but the same people preaching patience are the ones that will need it when our players are a year behind either statistically or development wise in game.

Again, my argument/statement stands... Not many teams have Superstar players, therefore they must wait 4-5 years before their teams are actually good/playoff teams. It makes me laugh when people expect this team to be world beaters and a playoff team when they have so many things working against them. They're young, inexperienced, inconsistent, and are at the beginning of their development learning on how to win in the process. After spending the last 3 years of being bottom dwellers in the east. Its looking like what it should look like with one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

Its a damn process, and people are too impatient when they just want results.

You'll look like what the Cavs/Kings Organizations where they make decisions on a whim instead of waiting it out. Now how is that going to look like to the rest of the league and potential Free-Agents that want to come here? They'd avoid this place like that plague with that sort of instability.
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,110

Post#49 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:12 pm

cedric76 wrote:Skiles knows what he is doing, he sees those guys in practice too

He doesn't even notice who is hurting the team in the games let alone in practice. He can't coach offense at all with this team having one of the worst offensive rating in the whole league. I already mentioned he doesn't even understand Smith shooting long 2s around 50% is as efficient as shooting 33% from 3. He has a lot of player who could take those shots and give this team more chances to win. How do you expect him to evaluate someone's capabilities when he has shown he is pretty clueless when it comes to even the easiest things considering the offense.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Re: RE: Re: Just fire Skiles 

Post#50 » by cedric76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Skiles knows what he is doing, he sees those guys in practice too

He doesn't even notice who is hurting the team in the games let alone in practice. He can't coach offense at all with this team having one of the worst offensive rating in the whole league. I already mentioned he doesn't even understand Smith shooting long 2s around 50% is as efficient as shooting 33% from 3. He has a lot of player who could take those shots and give this team more chances to win. How do you expect him to evaluate someone's capabilities when he has shown he is pretty clueless when it comes to even the easiest things considering the offense.

Lol , it s mathematically correct but basketball wise it s incorrect. Tell that to any coach and he 'll lol at you.
Shooting 3 obviously opens the paint more than long 2.
Skiles is a better coach than you

Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,110

Post#51 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 pm

You didn't understand me at all. My point was that hitting 3s at 33% clip is numbers wise as good as shooting 50% of 2s. The problem is Skiles letting Smith shoot those long 2s all the time while he has players who can easily shoot more than 33% from 3 and open up the court as well which is going to have an extra effect on the offense. Hitting threes would open up the paint and help others score around the basket easier just like you said. For some reason he never calls a play to get an open 3 and lets Smith shoot those long 2s game after game. That is why I said he can't coach offense.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#52 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:57 am

T-Cat wrote:I like Skiles as coach but I also like Luke Walton too!

Why? Because he had the best seat in the house for the best team in the league this year? Come on, it wouldn't have taken a great coach to be successful with that roster. Unless Curry and Thompson or Green come with him, we aren't firing Skiles for Walton.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#53 » by T-Cat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:22 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
T-Cat wrote:I like Skiles as coach but I also like Luke Walton too!

Why? Because he had the best seat in the house for the best team in the league this year? Come on, it wouldn't have taken a great coach to be successful with that roster. Unless Curry and Thompson or Green come with him, we aren't firing Skiles for Walton.

Only Hennigan can answer that! I believe Skiles is better equipped for a veteran type roster, while Walton would maximize this rosters potential.

I think Skiles would be perfect for LeBron!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#54 » by craig01 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

It's obvious the problem with this team is the consistency of uneven performances by players that still are developing. Maybe they start to figure things out, maybe they don't.

The bad decisions the players have been making during key moments in games is worrisome, but isn't that a part of growing pains and development?

Has Skiles made every decision a perfect one? No

Those folks wanting Skiles head are just too impatient to let the process forward itself. This isn't NBA live.

I don't have a clue what Hennigan is going to do, but something will be done eventually. First, he needs to see if the seeds that he has planted are going to blossom. Which would be the right call.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#55 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Management went with a young, “players’ coach” for 3 years. They were one of the worst teams in the NBA, probably intentionally, but last year it looked like the team was regressing. Everyone agreed the team needed an older, experienced coach to chew these guys out and make them understand that losing isn’t ok. So they got that in Skiles. They looked good at the beginning of the season, but now they are sinking back into old habits. These are the exact things they were doing under Vaughn – panicking at the end of games, choking away easy wins, making dumb mistakes in crunch time, and most of all going ice cold in 4th quarters and overtimes.

So go ahead and fire Skiles. Want to get Blatt? It’ll be the same result. Walton? Same result. Stan? Same. We’ve seen this roster perform under 3 coaches – Vaughn, Borrego and Skiles – and there’s not a shred of evidence that these players, as assembled, are good enough to win consistently.

It could be that they’re just too young, but that’s not Skiles’s fault. Hennigan admitted that if the team is still “too young to win” 4 years into a rebuild, then that’s on him. But Skiles was hired to win now, not develop young talent. JV could’ve rolled out the ball and played young players 40 minutes without regard for the result. Arguably that is why these players are still so undisciplined and clueless out there – 3 years of major minutes without direction or ramifications for poor play.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#56 » by SOUL » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

You don't get hired to a young team to win now and not develop talent.

If Hennigan (we all know it's Alex Martins) went into the office and said "I want you to instill work ethic and accountability in these young men, but do not, under any circumstance, develop their talent. Keep their asses on the bench until it's too obvious that you can't play them." then we got bigger issues than our losing streak.

4 years into a rebuild is semantics. The real rebuild starts with draft picks (Oladipo 13', Payton 14', AG 14', Hezonja 15') and we know how long it takes even elite teams to get to the playoffs when rebuilding. In terms of actual experience with each other, this team has barely started. Which is why we want to see lineups involving our draft picks.

When your young talent shows enough promise to impact games in a way where not playing them actively allows the other team to make runs, yeah, that's when people who were previously defending Skiles start singing a different tune.

There were 3 games lost this year by taking AG out and riding a Fournier that didn't deliver anything. It's killing two birds with one stone. It's adjustment. Things we want as fans from any coach. That IS Skiles fault because the bottom line is winning.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#57 » by claudio-br » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm

i was against the hire, but I don't think it's smart to fire him midway through his first season. i dont wanna be like the sacramento kings that keeps firing a coach after another and doesnt have any continuity within the coaching staff

as amin elhassan said, you have to really screw up to be fired this early, and i don't think that's the case - at least for now
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#58 » by Skin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:50 pm

We need to keep him. The only thing that will bring change is losing and he's helping us do that. Plus, the more we lose, the better our draft pick. I can't be the only one hoping that the losses continue, am I? Skiles is a joke. The totally wrong hire for our young team. The complete opposite of what this team needed. Alex Martins is a clever snake for forcing this hire and making Henny the look like the one who wanted it.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#59 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Skin wrote:We need to keep him. The only thing that will bring change is losing and he's helping us do that. Plus, the more we lose, the better our draft pick. I can't be the only one hoping that the losses continue, am I? Skiles is a joke. The totally wrong hire for our young team. The complete opposite of what this team needed. Alex Martins is a clever snake for forcing this hire and making Henny the look like the one who wanted it.

You don't know that Alex Martins forced anyones hand. That's all conjecture. We'll see what happens the rest of the way and next season but we would be in this situation with any of the coaches that were available and you'd be calling them a joke too. Skiles history of turning around young teams isn't made up, its fact, but we don't live in a vaccum so not ALL outcomes are going to be the same. We've had the same team under the last 3 coaches and (thus far) still don't know how to keep a lead or win a game. They're the common denominator here and that's not Skiles' fault. He has to teach these guys how to win games and it isn't something that happens in half a season. That's an absurd expectation.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#60 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm

paperboymafia wrote:Smh, instant gratification or bust is a dangerous mentality.

Quite certain that the majority of people calling for his head would have bitten anyone's hand off if they had offered a guarantee at being only 2 games below .500 after 42 games.

Tweaks are needed yes, perhaps even a trade? Confident that Hennigan is active in the market.

It's true, some guys are not playing that well right now at all but c'mon its not easy to suddenly realise a teams potential or learn how to be consistent, *especially* after the hole we dug ourselves in after JV.

After 42 games, a few really good stretches for this team, in comparison to the last few years, should be looked upon as massively encouraging but not *indicative* of the future - but the improvement has been obvious so I think Skiles is here for the long haul. Not much can honestly justify his firing right now.

This. +1,000
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic