ImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Discussion Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Official Trade Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:28 pm

Starting this thread up once again to take us through the trade deadline.

Key Facts

Official Trade Deadline

February 18th, 2016, at 3:00 pm

Cap and Cap Space

$69,366,837

Available $633,163

Roster Spots Available

14 active contracts, 1 10-day contract for Appling expiring on 2/7/16

The Magic, for most of December, were turning away offers on their roster. But over the last three weeks sources close to the situation say that trade conversations have taken a turn and there is an increasing sense that this roster as constructed may require significant change.

The Magic are one of the teams listening to the big idea offers; however, they seem unwilling to part with their young core, especially the players who were high level draft picks.

It’s believed Orlando has several suitors for veteran big man Channing Frye, but it’s unclear if Orlando will pull the trigger on a cosmetic change or if they will hold the line for a significant upgrade.

The Magic seem like a team willing to pull the trigger on a trade. But can Orlando find a difference maker to salvage this season? And if they can, at what cost?
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Re: Official Trade Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by axl_c_cool » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:32 pm

Did we trade Tobias for Steph Curry and Green yet?

Hopefully that deal Teague for Payton, Dipo, and Vucevic is still going to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Post#3 » by axl_c_cool » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:45 pm

Jokes aside I'm still hoping on the Cousins trade. Hopefully Divac has links with Vucevic's father family etc and we move Fournier and Vucevic for Cousins. Then move Fyre for a veteran pg

Payton/vet/Napier
Oladipo/Hezonja/Appling
Harris/Marble
Gordon/Nicholson
Cousins/Smith/Dedmon

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#4 » by j-ragg » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:36 pm

I think (as I've said before) the Grizz have to be likely to blow it up sooner than later. Marc Gasol would be perfect for us. Trade for him then sign Conley and we'll be #2 seed next year no doubt in my mind.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 11:11 pm

Depending on what we would send back, I really think people here are too quick to reject the general idea of trading for Rudy Gay. Some are using the notion that he hasn't been able to stay with a team long as an indicator of a larger problem with him but that just isn't true. Toronto is the only team that traded him quickly and he just happened to arrive there half a season before a new GM who traded away ALL large contracts, not just Rudy. Sacramento may trade him but they may not. Cousins is their core and they need to keep him happy. Not working well the child that is Cousins isn't a huge knock.

If we can make a Gay for Harris (w/ fillers as needed) swap work I would be thrilled. This actually saves us money while giving us a better fit to the current roster. Harris has his strengths over Gay but Gay is the better 3-pt shooter and is better at getting to the free throw line, both of which are big needs here.

If AG is really going to be our PF, then we need to explore options for moving Vuc. Gay has a player option to last on this contract for 2 more years and Gay + AG + Vuc isn't a front court I see surviving against the top teams. We need a legit shot blocker.

I just don't want to give up Dipo, Payton, AG or Mario in a Rudy trade. It sounds like Sacramento is exploring perimeter defense upgrades in their search so I doubt they will like Harris but with talk that a new coach may be headed to Sacramento, who knows what the heck they want?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,232

Post#6 » by eyriq » Sat Feb 6, 2016 11:51 pm

Rudy Gay could be for us what Isaiah Thomas is for Boston. I'd trade Harris for him.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#7 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:05 am

If it's Harris and not much else, then yeah. There's a deal to be made for Gay.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#8 » by EAS Law » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:05 am

I remember suggesting Rudy once... Didn't go well.
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#9 » by King Close » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:12 am

Hoping we trade Vooch, and Evan mainly. We need to get rid of this softness we see on the floor every night. I would be down for any trades aside from Aaron, Dipo, Mario, and Elf - although he's been getting on trade list as of late, I haven't lost faith in him, and CJ is going to help Elf out alot seeing as he's actually going to have competition for PT.

Not really sure who we'd target though, to be honest; rumors have it that Blake can be had - but he won't be a good fit next to vooch. I would love to have Blake obviously, but at what cost? When you have a chance at a star - you jump at it and ask what it'll take.

This is where I would propose a trade with Chicago since they need a wing player desperately (Evan), and we need a 4 desperately (Taj). But since Noah went down they're not as desperate to trade one of their bigs away.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:13 am

I wish we could get Favors and Hood from Utah. Harris, Fournier + Lakers 1st? :dontknow:

Then get Teague for Napier, Nicholson and Frye.

Teague/Payton
Dipo/Hood
AG/Hezonja
Favors/Smith
Vooch/Dedmon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#11 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:14 am

Actually, more I think about it, I'd try to pry WCS away from the Kings while I'm at it. Maybe a deal with the framework of Gay + WCS for Harris + Fournier + Payton? Or we give up too much? Feel like we give up too much but the team would be set up for better balance down the road. You can either play WCS with Vucevic, have a competent back up center for Vucevic, or make Vucevic expendable in another deal.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:24 am

Def Swami wrote:Actually, more I think about it, I'd try to pry WCS away from the Kings while I'm at it. Maybe a deal with the framework of Gay + WCS for Harris + Fournier + Payton? Or we give up too much? Feel like we give up too much but the team would be set up for better balance down the road. You can either play WCS with Vucevic, have a competent back up center for Vucevic, or make Vucevic expendable in another deal.

I wouldn't mind that, but including Payton would be too much IMO. Maybe include Nicholson and a pick?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gnqeke4
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#13 » by j-ragg » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:32 am

lol Utah isn't trading Favors for our trash.

And would you trade Mario for Fournier, Harris, and Nicholson? No of course you wouldn't. Kings aren't giving up WCS, I do agree Gay could give us something we could use. Other ideas just aren't realistic from other team's pov.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#14 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:33 am

Why would the Kings fire Karl and trade Cousins? It makes no sense to me. Cousins is a top 25 player in the league this year. If by some miracle they did trade him, there is no way we just send Harris and Vuc or Fournier and get him. In other words, its not going to happen.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#15 » by Bensational » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:35 am

Def Swami wrote:Actually, more I think about it, I'd try to pry WCS away from the Kings while I'm at it. Maybe a deal with the framework of Gay + WCS for Harris + Fournier + Payton? Or we give up too much? Feel like we give up too much but the team would be set up for better balance down the road. You can either play WCS with Vucevic, have a competent back up center for Vucevic, or make Vucevic expendable in another deal.

Giving up way too much there, but Magicfan101 has turned me on the idea of trading for Gay. Problem is, I don't think he's the winning veteran presence Henny would want.

Sac might not want Fournier, since they've got Belinelli. Maybe a 3 team deal?

CHI: Fournier
SAC: Harris + Taj
ORL: Gay + WCS

But then I don't feel like that's the best return we could get for our guys. I'm still holding out hope we can land a unicorn somehow from a team like Indy or New York.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#16 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:36 am

Orlando Magic fans actually considering Rudy Gay now? Woahhhhh. Is everyone feeling alright?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#17 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:41 am

Bensational wrote:

Giving up way too much there, but Magicfan101 has turned me on the idea of trading for Gay. Problem is, I don't think he's the winning veteran presence Henny would want.

But then I don't feel like that's the best return we could get for our guys. I'm still holding out hope we can land a unicorn somehow from a team like Indy or New York.

Paul George :D
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#18 » by King Close » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:43 am

Nemesis21 wrote:I wish we could get Favors and Hood from Utah. Harris, Fournier + Lakers 1st? :dontknow:

Then get Teague for Napier, Nicholson and Frye.

Teague/Payton
Dipo/Hood
AG/Hezonja
Favors/Smith
Vooch/Dedmon

I would LOVE to get Favors, but we don't have the right pieces to trade for him since they need a PG pretty badly, and so would we if we traded Elf. Not sure how good CJ is going to play when he returns, but he pretty much died with that HUGE injury he had. It's a tricky scenario all the way around.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#19 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:50 am

Bensational wrote:

That's a much better deal that works for all parties. But, I have the same hesitation. This cast is clearly not working and needs a trade, but I don't want to sell too much and take us out of the running for an all-star caliber player that may come available down the road. However, with this deal for Gay + WCS, I feel as if we get pretty good return on players that just don't fit with our roster. Both Gay and WCS can always be flipped for that kind of unicorn down the road as well. In the mean time, I think they make our team more cohesive.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#20 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:53 am

I'm not even a huge Rudy Gay fan. But, if you can get him for Harris and fillers, then I think you have to make that deal just based on value. Gay is a more proven scorer making $4 mill/year less for the next 3 years. That's the game we'll have to play until we find that superstar player. Boston did a similar move when they got Isaiah Thomas. Not necessarily a guy you can build around, but they knew the production for his contract had value and it paid off for them.

Return to Orlando Magic