ImageImageImageImage

Let's Talk About Mario

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Re: Let's Talk About Mario 

Post#601 » by JF5 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:00 am

Hezonja possibly starting next season?
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#602 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 am

Von Bismarck wrote:Mario played for Croatia vs Canada few hours ago. It was Croatia's first friendly game and the rotations included many players that will be cut off in couple of days. Canada won the game.

Mario only took 5 shots. He had 9p 6r 3a 2stl in 23 minutes on the court. I watched the entire game and he was very well defensively against Corey Joseph and Tyler Ennis. He looks like a different player. His ball handling improved vastly. He is also bigger/stronger than the last time I've seen him playing for the Magic. Had couple of really nice layups, steals and assists.

Boner
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#603 » by T-Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:38 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:Mario played for Croatia vs Canada few hours ago. It was Croatia's first friendly game and the rotations included many players that will be cut off in couple of days. Canada won the game.

Mario only took 5 shots. He had 9p 6r 3a 2stl in 23 minutes on the court. I watched the entire game and he was very well defensively against Corey Joseph and Tyler Ennis. He looks like a different player. His ball handling improved vastly. He is also bigger/stronger than the last time I've seen him playing for the Magic. Had couple of really nice layups, steals and assists.

Boner

[tweet]https://twitter.com/imBINGnotGOOGLE/status/744573986323992576[/tweet]

:lol: :lol:
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#604 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:19 am

Nyce_1 wrote:awesome news, thanks for the update. is there a schedule for their games? I'd love to find a stream when they were playing to watch our guy.

They're playing Canada again on 23rd of June and then against Czech Republic on 26th of June. Now, those are friendlies while the qualification tournament starts on 5th of July against Italy.

I will post stream (HD ones will be availible) here in 2 days. I wanted to do the same yesterday but I was at friends house and I just couldn't log on to RealGM, no idea why.

j-ragg wrote:Were there any camera crews around? Wondering if there's highlights from the game.

Yeah, but I can't find any.

Skin wrote:Did he get rid of his school boy side comb? I feel like that is holding back his tenacity to be a monster. :D

Check it for yourself and also notice that he's bigger 8-)

SaberT
Junior
And1: 341

Post#605 » by SaberT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I didn't feel he played that well, especially at the start of the game. He was hesitant. However he did show great hustle, and played with intensity as the game went on. He started to get into his groove in the second half only to be benched due to rotations by the Croatian coach. Mario had a really nice assist as well and he continues to help ball movement.

One thing that stood out to me, he seemed low on the pecking order just like he was in the Magic last season. Bunch of guys threw wild shots before even thinking of passing to him. Hopefully this is changed and Mario takes a more important role in the following games.

On the other hand, Bojan Bogdanovic had a great game and dominated early on. Bunch of scrubs on Canada team (literally named Scrubb) had great 3 point shooting game, it was almost as if Steph was out there :)
FREE HEZONJA

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#606 » by MagicStarwipe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:24 pm

SaberT wrote:I didn't feel he played that well, especially at the start of the game. He was hesitant. However he did show great hustle, and played with intensity as the game went on. He started to get into his groove in the second half only to be benched due to rotations by the Croatian coach. Mario had a really nice assist as well and he continues to help ball movement.

One thing that stood out to me, he seemed low on the pecking order just like he was in the Magic last season. Bunch of guys threw wild shots before even thinking of passing to him. Hopefully this is changed and Mario takes a more important role in the following games.

On the other hand, Bojan Bogdanovic had a great game and dominated early on. Bunch of scrubs on Canada team (literally named Scrubb) had great 3 point shooting game, it was almost as if Steph was out there :)

It's weird, even Fournier and Vucevic have pretty small roles on their national teams. I don't understand it. Andrew Nicholson probably has the biggest role on his national team out of all of our players.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#607 » by j-ragg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:56 pm

It's a weird age thing with international guys. The older more established players don't seem keen on letting the young guys shine.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#608 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 pm

SaberT wrote:I didn't feel he played that well, especially at the start of the game. He was hesitant. However he did show great hustle, and played with intensity as the game went on. He started to get into his groove in the second half only to be benched due to rotations by the Croatian coach. Mario had a really nice assist as well and he continues to help ball movement.

Yeah, that stood out to me as well, his role. Then I translated some Croatian media articles and their coach actually allowed players that won't have bigger role later on to feel the game/take more shots. He wasn't hesitant, he just took smaller role.

Don't worry, he's be option number 2/3 when the tournament starts.
SaberT
Junior
And1: 341

Post#609 » by SaberT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:Yeah, that stood out to me as well, his role. Then I translated some Croatian media articles and their coach actually allowed players that won't have bigger role later on to feel the game/take more shots. He wasn't hesitant, he just took smaller role.

Don't worry, he's be option number 2/3 when the tournament starts.

I think that the issue is that Mario is such a nice guy, with a lot of respect for other players, so he does not like to force things. When he is put in a situation where few guys force things, he still plays within the plan and that can lead to low usage by him. I'm sure it will change as Mario matures and starts to grow into a player we all believe he will become.
FREE HEZONJA

zelenooq
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#610 » by zelenooq » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm not satisfied with him also
Needs to be more aggressive, on both ends
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#611 » by j-ragg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:35 pm

It's weird, before the season I figured he'd shoot JR Smith type of shots and talk crap to the other team the whole time.

Completely the opposite. Instead of wild shots he didn't shoot as much as he probably should've. Really unselfish and respectful to the other team. Excited to see his prime.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#612 » by zuppafly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Mario start with the Magic reminds me of JJ. We all know both of them are great shooters, both needed to work immensely on the defensive side of their games, both needed to bulk, both have a huge basketball IQ, both are cocky in the right amount. Both were managed in a doubtful way by their coaches during the rookie year (more JJ than Mario. Skiles did have some good things that he brought on to Mario's game) and both had a fresh start with a new, young, defensive coach known for developing players using their strengths.

Mario is more athletic, JJ had better handles. But their progress, their bulking/cutting during the preseason... man I really think he will be good this year. Maybe not from the start, Mario will need to be ready for when his chance comes to impress Vogel. And he will, I truly believe him and Gordon are going to be our best duo.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#613 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:35 pm

zuppafly wrote:Mario start with the Magic reminds me of JJ. We all know both of them are great shooters, both needed to work immensely on the defensive side of their games, both needed to bulk, both have a huge basketball IQ, both are cocky in the right amount. Both were managed in a doubtful way by their coaches during the rookie year (more JJ than Mario. Skiles did have some good things that he brought on to Mario's game) and both had a fresh start with a new, young, defensive coach known for developing players using their strengths.

Mario is more athletic, JJ had better handles. But their progress, their bulking/cutting during the preseason... man I really think he will be good this year. Maybe not from the start, Mario will need to be ready for when his chance comes to impress Vogel. And he will, I truly believe him and Gordon are going to be our best duo.

Great comparison. I can defiantly see the similarities in both players situations. I really do think next year we will see a jump in production and usage from Mario. So much talent. Vogels best a bringing that out in players.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#614 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:19 pm

We always do this. Have wet dreams about how much "bigger" our rookies have gotten. Its maybe a slight difference due to his body maturing and from working out but he generally looks exactly the same.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
CroAnon
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#615 » by CroAnon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm

I think that 2nd friendly match between Croatia and Canada is starting in next 10min.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,534

Post#616 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Sounds like you guys are pretty high on Hezonja? Was interested in gauging what you would view his value as.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#617 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm

codydaze wrote:Sounds like you guys are pretty high on Hezonja? Was interested in gauging what you would view his value as.

most here thinks he has high potential, wouldn't trade him unless it's worthwhile
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#618 » by Xatticus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:
codydaze wrote:Sounds like you guys are pretty high on Hezonja? Was interested in gauging what you would view his value as.

most here thinks he has high potential, wouldn't trade him unless it's worthwhile

Could we interest you in a Shabazz Napier though?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#619 » by Skin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Kinda hard to answer. We feel he is our future starting SF. Worthy of being our 5th pick last year.

I wanted WCS in last year's draft for us and I don't know if I would make that swap today. On some days yes, on some days no. So maybe yeah... the way you value WCS is probably how we value Mario.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,534

Post#620 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:

Gotcha. I've been trying to think of some scenarios to swap 8 for 11. What would your thoughts on a swap based around a sign and trade of Fournier and the 11 for Koufos/Ben/8? I assume it's not very likely Fournier will be back so you move up a few spots and get some defensive frontcourt depth. I've been hearing we're looking at Sabonis but I just think he's a reach at 8 so I've been trying to figure out what kind of moves can be made.

Return to Orlando Magic