ImageImageImageImage

ESPN's Windhorst: "Every Magic Player Available at Deadline"

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Re: ESPN's Windhorst: "Every Magic Player Available at Deadline" 

Post#141 » by Hogified05 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:15 am

OrlDave wrote:
thelead wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
We are giving up Harris for a 30 game rental of Horford. Not a great deal imo.

Sounds like what the Bucks did in getting JJ. It's just not a smart move.

Yeah exactly. Although it would be amusing if that was his trend in the NBA. Always traded for half year rentals.

Aye I forgot Horford is a FA after this year. Yea not smart when that is brought to my attention.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#142 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 am

Hogified05 wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
thelead wrote:Sounds like what the Bucks did in getting JJ. It's just not a smart move.

Yeah exactly. Although it would be amusing if that was his trend in the NBA. Always traded for half year rentals.

Aye I forgot Horford is a FA after this year. Yea not smart when that is brought to my attention.

yup, no worries. hard to keep up the contract details of every player.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#143 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Names that I've heard floated are Demarcus Cousins, Jeff Teague, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, and Dwight Howard.

You pair one or two of those guys with whatever is left over from Oladipo/Gordon/Payton/Hezonja and Vucevic/Harris/Fournier and I think you can make the case that we have a very attractive team for a free agent.

Demarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin are the only player in there that I would consider trading AG or Mario for. I dont think Durant is going to chose playing here over big markets for Al Horford and Jeff Teague. You gotta get a big time player to attract players like durant.

I'm going to speculate a little bit here. Let's say we could (a) trade for Horford and Teague, and give up Dipo and Harris, plus some future asset (2017 protected first rounder, for example), which seems like a fair deal, and (b) get a commitment from Horford that he will be resigning, and we do in fact resign him for a reasonable contract.

You're now looking at a core roster of Horford, Vuc, Gordon, Hezonja, Fournier, Teague, Payton. That's a pretty solid team for a few years. Suddenly Orlando has a strong core, up and coming talent in AG, Hezonja and Payton, and trade assets in Fournier and Vuc. Oh, and zero state income tax, plus ownership that has continuously shown no aversion to spending to try to win.

That's a pretty good package to sell to a free agent, Durant or otherwise. Is it enough? Maybe not, but it would be a nice conversation.

Problem is that acquiring those big time players will cost you big time assets. Im all for winning but trading away AG or Mario when they are showing glimpse of stardom is too risky. Glad I dont have to make that phone call.

I agree, these two should be all but untouchable. The trade package would have to be absolutely overwhelming.

*EDIT* By the way, I'm not saying that is the deal we should go for necessarily - but it illustrates how a deal like that could position us well for several years of competition and free agency.

If all we had to do to get both Horford and Teague over here was Harris and Dipo, then that makes things interesting but unfortunately there is no way the Hawks do that. If we take their starting C and PG, along with Dipo and Tobes they are going to want Vuc and possibly even Payton or one of Mario and AG. Bud isnt stupid. He is going to try and rip any team that trades for his stars all of their assets. That is why Im not down for that trade. But its going to happen either before the trade deadline or the offseason. Our lack of a true scorer and star has been evident way too many times this year on the closing minutes. The experienced or teams with stars always get the best of us. Right now we are a team full of role players with no true talent that stand out....yet. In a couple of years I hope AG or Mario becomes that guy. The problem is that while I am willing to keep patient, the ownership and Skiles wants to rush the process and start cashing in our young guys for established players. That is when things turn sour and it all goes to hell.

If a trade will be made where we have to(and we will) give away the core guys, then it must be for a star players like Blake Griffin or even Cousins that we know will come in and dominate from game 1. Do not rush into a trade to get a subpar veteran to get us an extra 5-8 wins so that we get to playoffs and get swept.

Everybody better prepare for tears, because in less then a week, the player(s) that you have bee admiring and hope to continue see in a Magic jersey might be on their way out for who knows. In Henny I trust.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Re: RE: Re: ESPN's Windhorst: "Every Magic Player Available at Deadline" 

Post#144 » by cedric76 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 am

Mc-o wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Knew this was coming as soon as they hired Skiles. The ownership still doesn't get it.

Get what ? This is a rumor , just because it says any magic player is available doesn't mean we are going to do a trade just to do a trade . Magic are only going to do a trade that will benefit us both short term and long term . And these rumors may be leaked by other teams trying to get our players at a lower price . Our team should be taking calls on any of our players doesn't mean they are going to act on it .

People like to overreact here
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,030

Post#145 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am

I, personally, do not think we will make a bad decision with a trade this season, I think we'll shore up our bench and may trade Tobes for an upgrade at PF/C. I think we'll probably see Frye, Napier, and maybe Harris traded this deadline, I don't mind if we trade those guys, or keep them for one more year, just can't wait for the deadline! Will be watching for other teams trades as well. Love this time of year!
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ESPN's Windhorst: "Every Magic Player Available at Deadline" 

Post#146 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:32 am

cedric76 wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Knew this was coming as soon as they hired Skiles. The ownership still doesn't get it.

Get what ? This is a rumor , just because it says any magic player is available doesn't mean we are going to do a trade just to do a trade . Magic are only going to do a trade that will benefit us both short term and long term . And these rumors may be leaked by other teams trying to get our players at a lower price . Our team should be taking calls on any of our players doesn't mean they are going to act on it .

People like to overreact here
key post of the day.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: ESPN's Windhorst: "Every Magic Player Available at Deadline" 

Post#147 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:33 am

OrlandoDream wrote:Didnt Skiles try to do the same thing with the Bulls?

Omg.. If you don't know then Google it. Don't ask a thread full of Skiles haters.

Paxson made the deal. Same guy that signed Ben Wallace to that ridiculous contract.
#2A
#Adopt
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,030

Post#148 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

I would really like to get Taj Gibson from the Bulls, he would be a decent starting PF with experience for us, not sure what it would take to bring him here though. . . Frye would probably not be enough, so we would probably have to throw Harris in there, but that's feels like we would be giving up too much. . . And I'm not a big fan of their young prospects either.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#149 » by tiderulz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:25 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Demarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin are the only player in there that I would consider trading AG or Mario for. I dont think Durant is going to chose playing here over big markets for Al Horford and Jeff Teague. You gotta get a big time player to attract players like durant.

I'm going to speculate a little bit here. Let's say we could (a) trade for Horford and Teague, and give up Dipo and Harris, plus some future asset (2017 protected first rounder, for example), which seems like a fair deal, and (b) get a commitment from Horford that he will be resigning, and we do in fact resign him for a reasonable contract.

You're now looking at a core roster of Horford, Vuc, Gordon, Hezonja, Fournier, Teague, Payton. That's a pretty solid team for a few years. Suddenly Orlando has a strong core, up and coming talent in AG, Hezonja and Payton, and trade assets in Fournier and Vuc. Oh, and zero state income tax, plus ownership that has continuously shown no aversion to spending to try to win.

That's a pretty good package to sell to a free agent, Durant or otherwise. Is it enough? Maybe not, but it would be a nice conversation.

Problem is that acquiring those big time players will cost you big time assets. Im all for winning but trading away AG or Mario when they are showing glimpse of stardom is too risky. Glad I dont have to make that phone call.

I agree, these two should be all but untouchable. The trade package would have to be absolutely overwhelming.

*EDIT* By the way, I'm not saying that is the deal we should go for necessarily - but it illustrates how a deal like that could position us well for several years of competition and free agency.

If all we had to do to get both Horford and Teague over here was Harris and Dipo, then that makes things interesting but unfortunately there is no way the Hawks do that. If we take their starting C and PG, along with Dipo and Tobes they are going to want Vuc and possibly even Payton or one of Mario and AG. Bud isnt stupid. He is going to try and rip any team that trades for his stars all of their assets. That is why Im not down for that trade. But its going to happen either before the trade deadline or the offseason. Our lack of a true scorer and star has been evident way too many times this year on the closing minutes. The experienced or teams with stars always get the best of us. Right now we are a team full of role players with no true talent that stand out....yet. In a couple of years I hope AG or Mario becomes that guy. The problem is that while I am willing to keep patient, the ownership and Skiles wants to rush the process and start cashing in our young guys for established players. That is when things turn sour and it all goes to hell.

If a trade will be made where we have to(and we will) give away the core guys, then it must be for a star players like Blake Griffin or even Cousins that we know will come in and dominate from game 1. Do not rush into a trade to get a subpar veteran to get us an extra 5-8 wins so that we get to playoffs and get swept.

Everybody better prepare for tears, because in less then a week, the player(s) that you have bee admiring and hope to continue see in a Magic jersey might be on their way out for who knows. In Henny I trust.

they arent going to want Payton. They want to move Teague to give the starting spot to Schroder. They dont want another young PG developing right behind him. They also know that Horford will be moving on, so they will get the best deal they can for him. Bud may not be stupid, but he has already done a questionable move that didnt work out (Splitter) and a bad move (#15 for Tim Hardaway Jr).
Stoffel
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#150 » by Stoffel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:29 pm

I hope the Blake Griffin Rumors have legs.
I would trade Harris, Oladipo and Frye for him.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#151 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Stoffel wrote:I hope the Blake Griffin Rumors have legs.

I don't. I'm liking AG at the 4 more and more. He brings exactly what we need to balance out the roster. Blake doesn't defend and he doesn't spread the floor. I like the idea of Teague to bring some stability to a starting unit that NOW should consist of Dipo, Evan, AG, and Vooch imo.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#152 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:36 pm

NBlue wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Skin wrote:You don't have to dig deep inside.... Does it sound like it would be?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/1800/scott-skiles-world-s-most-intense-dinner-host

You're so full of **** when it comes to your Skiles hate Skin. Nothing in that quote suggests Skiles pushed to trade Aldridge for Thomas and Khryapa. What Skiles affect?
Here's the rest of the story:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-06-15/sports/0606150196_1_bulls-scott-skiles-lamarcus-aldridge
"After a while, he started to open up and we had a great time. I had thought he was going to be quiet the whole night, and I was kind of scared."

You are right about one thing though. Its not hard to find information if you look, but the problem is you look, then edit it to push an agenda. Here's some info on John Paxson:
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/chicago-bulls/the-nine-lives-of-john-paxson-bulls/
It Was The Worst Of Times

In 2003, John Paxson assumed the helm as Bulls general manager during some dark days for the franchise: The failed Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler experiment, Jay Williams‘s career-ending motorcycle accident, underwhelming free-agent signings, Marcus Fizer.

The Bulls were the worst team in the NBA from 1998-2004, and it wasn’t close. But there was always optimism bubbling beneath the outer crust of despair. The Bulls were among the league leaders in attendance during the same futile period, a testament to the lasting power of Michael Jordan as opposed to the inscrutable nature of Bulls fans. Owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who I think is unfairly regarded on a national level as “cheap,” isn’t afraid to roll the dice when a championship is possible. There was always potential for a turnaround.

Paxson started building through a draft philosophy of productive, high-character guys who tended to come from big-name NCAA programs. And he had plenty of decent picks to work with:

2003: Kirk Hinrich (7th pick)

2004: Ben Gordon (3rd); Luol Deng (7th, acquired from Suns)

2006: Tyrus Thomas (4th, acquired with Viktor Khryapa from Blazers for LaMarcus Aldridge (2nd)); Thabo Sefolosha (13th, acquired from Sixers for rights to Rodney Carney (16th))

2007: Joakim Noah (9th)

....Despite the near constant and infuriating stupidity and badness that was Tyrus Thomas, Paxson never received the appropriate ridicule for the Aldridge trade....

Its believe that Paxson also didn't pull the trigger on a trade for Bryant in 2007 because he didn't want to include Deng.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kobe-bryant-wanted-trade-2007-chicago-bulls-20150223-story.html
The Lakers did have conversations with the Bulls, but a prospective deal was believed to have gotten hung up on the inclusion of forward Luol Deng, now with the Miami Heat.

Also, Brian Windbags report is speculation. We all know that the Magic FO isn't telling anyone what's going on internally. So we need to stop pushing it as fact when no factual evidence exists.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH PEOPLE. If you trust anyone in here you'll be misled.

Here is the thing about that. I do not think that Henny and his people are talking to anyone. They run a tight ship, clearly. However, on the ownership and Alex Martins side that is not the case. Clearly, this rumor/leak is coming from that side so...
I get why you would think that, but how could you actually push that as fact? Windbag is doing what a lot of "reporters" do this time of year, they throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks. Top to bottom the organization is tight lipped imo. But who really knows, the only thing we can do is SPECULATE.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#153 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Skin wrote:
cedric76 wrote:I m glad we have a coach that want to make playoff as bad as me. Go Scott, go magic

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

:lol:

Making the playoffs isn't that hard to do if you're willing to give up on your long term future. Apparently, you don't care about that. First or second round playoff exits! Yay! Go Scott, go Magic!

Again.. Who exactly is willing to give up on our long term future?
#2A
#Adopt
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#154 » by T-Cat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Underdog put this on a T-Shirt!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z5aqyaf

Orlando also sends multiple 1st round picks to the Clippers and a 2nd round pick to the Kings.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#155 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:04 pm

T-Cat wrote:

What part? the -4 Wins ? :wink:
Seriously though, gross. I think Magic fans are infatuated with Stephenson because he had that good game against us. He's been ass the whole season and the Clips would need to compensate us more if they plan on dumping that jackass on us.
#2A
#Adopt
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Post#156 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:08 pm

I think that Skiles is going to make a play to move Hennigan out as the GM. That's the only shot he is ever going to have at career longevity as a coach. It would not surprise me if he wins this battle. That said trading young pieces just for trading sake is absurd.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#157 » by T-Cat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

What part? the -4 Wins ? :wink:
Seriously though, gross. I think Magic fans are infatuated with Stephenson because he had that good game against us. He's been ass the whole season and the Clips would need to compensate us more if they plan on dumping that jackass on us.

Lol he is a must trade if the Clippers trade BG IMO! Also he can be bought out if he becomes a problem, but I do like his toughness and grit (Something this team needs).
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#158 » by NBlue » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
NBlue wrote:Here is the thing about that. I do not think that Henny and his people are talking to anyone. They run a tight ship, clearly. However, on the ownership and Alex Martins side that is not the case. Clearly, this rumor/leak is coming from that side so...

I get why you would think that, but how could you actually push that as fact? Windbag is doing what a lot of "reporters" do this time of year, they throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks. Top to bottom the organization is tight lipped imo. But who really knows, the only thing we can do is SPECULATE.

Well, sure. I don't know for certain and I don't trust Windhorst either. Its not like Wojo or Lowe from whom I would take it as gospel.

I'm basing my conclusion that the "Skiles is pushing ownership hard for vets" leak comes from the Martins side (if, in fact, it is not made up) as based on (1) I've never heard of Henny leaking anything, anything at all until it happen (perfect example would be the Millsap offer last summer) and (2) It seems to me the ownership/Martins side has leaked quite a lot over the years -- the things they've known about always seem to leak out (the pursuit of Skiles to coach being the perfect example). I thoroughly disagree with your notion that "top to bottom the organization is tight lipped." Did you miss the entire D12/SVG saga?? Sure, more blame goes to Dwight but there is plenty to put on ownership and Martins as well.

I don't know if Windhorst is right -- and I hope he is not -- but it does tend to fit the narrative. That's what scares me.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#159 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm

NBlue wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
NBlue wrote:Here is the thing about that. I do not think that Henny and his people are talking to anyone. They run a tight ship, clearly. However, on the ownership and Alex Martins side that is not the case. Clearly, this rumor/leak is coming from that side so...

Well, sure. I don't know for certain and I don't trust Windhorst either. Its not like Wojo or Lowe from whom I would take it as gospel.

I'm basing my conclusion that the "Skiles is pushing ownership hard for vets" leak comes from the Martins side (if, in fact, it is not made up) as based on (1) I've never heard of Henny leaking anything, anything at all until it happen (perfect example would be the Millsap offer last summer) and (2) It seems to me the ownership/Martins side has leaked quite a lot over the years -- the things they've known about always seem to leak out (the pursuit of Skiles to coach being the perfect example). I thoroughly disagree with your notion that "top to bottom the organization is tight lipped." Did you miss the entire D12/SVG saga?? Sure, more blame goes to Dwight but there is plenty to put on ownership and Martins as well.

I don't know if Windhorst is right -- and I hope he is not -- but it does tend to fit the narrative. That's what scares me.

martins/ownership were also pretty vocal towards the end of the jacque vaughn saga
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#160 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm

I doubt this is the case that every player is available.
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic