ImageImageImageImage

Scouting question

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Scottg247
Pro Prospect
And1: 147

Scouting question 

Post#1 » by Scottg247 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 pm

I know scouting can be a big thing for a team. Does anyone know the quality of scouting the Magic have? Something I haven't seen talked about and don't know the answer myself. I read this on CBS last night about the OKC Warrior game and made me think:

" 8. Scouting helps. The Thunder have scouted the Warriors extremely well going in. Five of Curry's seven turnovers were passes that the Thunder simply anticipated. They knew when he was going to throw the hook pass out of the side pick and roll. They knew he was going to try the jump pass off the high pick and roll. They knew he was going to try the slip pass to the cutter under the basket.

The Thunder knew a lot of the Warriors' tricks, and their length and athleticism helped them to jumble what has been so seamless all year long."
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Re: Scouting question 

Post#2 » by Jameerthefear » Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 pm

You really won't be able to tell until you see this team in the playoffs. It's rare for teams to scout heavily in the regular season

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#3 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Jameerthefear wrote:You really won't be able to tell until you see this team in the playoffs. It's rare for teams to scout heavily in the regular season

I am not sure about that. SVG just last week in an interview says he has (4) scouts he hired whose job is to watch each and every single NBA game. He estimates that they watch the entirety of 85-90% of all NBA games. Stan likes to know exactly what defense and offense works against all teams. And, he said he would prefer to have (6) scouts watching all NBA games but ended up hiring only (4). I think teams have a few scouts like this. I doubt Vaughn had any.

Question: At the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference a couple of years ago, you said if you ever got hired again, you'd hire six guys whose entire job was to watch every NBA game -- one division for each guy. Did you do that?

SVG: Close. We hired four pro scouts, and divided it up among them, so they have more than one division each. But our staff probably watches 85 to 90 percent of all the NBA games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15528522/qa-detroit-pistons-coach-stan-van-gundy

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#4 » by TreasureCoast » Tue May 17, 2016 2:45 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Jameerthefear wrote:You really won't be able to tell until you see this team in the playoffs. It's rare for teams to scout heavily in the regular season

I am not sure about that. SVG just last week in an interview says he has (4) scouts he hired whose job is to watch each and every single NBA game. He estimates that they watch the entirety of 85-90% of all NBA games. Stan likes to know exactly what defense and offense works against all teams. And, he said he would prefer to have (6) scouts watching all NBA games but ended up hiring only (4). I think teams have a few scouts like this. I doubt Vaughn had any.

Question: At the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference a couple of years ago, you said if you ever got hired again, you'd hire six guys whose entire job was to watch every NBA game -- one division for each guy. Did you do that?

SVG: Close. We hired four pro scouts, and divided it up among them, so they have more than one division each. But our staff probably watches 85 to 90 percent of all the NBA games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15528522/qa-detroit-pistons-coach-stan-van-gundy

that is partly correct.

SVG originally wanted 6 scouts, "one for each division", He has 4 scouts that watch a division and a half with some overage in other divisions, not every single NBA game.

Pretty sure he discussed this during a Lowe Post podcast
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#5 » by seeingstars » Tue May 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Great thread
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#6 » by fendilim » Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Didn't Gortat or somebody post a scouting report book against someone we faced in the playoffs? I remember it was a really thick book as a scouting report against a player, who wasn't even the good, IIRC.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#7 » by Nyce_1 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Can't speak to the quality of our scouts, but know if your team understands it has to go through a specific team to make the finals, you scout the hell out of that team. I'm sure every team in the west scouted GSW like their lives depend on it, just to prepare for the potential playoff match-up.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#8 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue May 17, 2016 4:37 pm

we have pretty good scouts in my opinion. Our problem is that we havent had the best opportunities.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#9 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:we have pretty good scouts in my opinion. Our problem is that we havent had the best opportunities.

Or, having the best coaching staff to work with the players to understand these scouting reports. I think SVG bought each of his players an iPad so they can watch/read his scouting reports. They probably even develop video with notations during video showing where player is going and how to defend like you see on TV.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#10 » by Nyce_1 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:we have pretty good scouts in my opinion. Our problem is that we havent had the best opportunities.

Or, having the best coaching staff to work with the players to understand these scouting reports. I think SVG bought each of his players an iPad so they can watch/read his scouting reports. They probably even develop video with notations during video showing where player is going and how to defend like you see on TV.

I'm really going to miss Stan and his staff when we finally start making the playoffs consistently again. Martins will forever be seen as a dumbass in my eyes for firing a top 5, potential 15 yr coach, for malcontent Dwight Howard who was leaving anyway.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#11 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

I don't mean advance scouts I mean international and college scouts.

I think we've done a good job scouting for the draft.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#12 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I don't mean advance scouts I mean international and college scouts.

I think we've done a good job scouting for the draft.

Well, here is Henny's biggest strength. He has probably picked the best player each time. Even when he chose Nicholson, Marble etc. Just solid late round picks as well.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic