ImageImageImageImage

2016 NBA DRAFT LOTTERY THREAD

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT LOTTERY THREAD 

Post#221 » by axl_c_cool » Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Tron Carter- wrote:
SOUL wrote:Yeah, lets's not get into cultural generalizations.

No ones doing that.

Seems more like insecurity to me..

There's no insecurity here, you made a very blanket statement that was ignorant and patronising. I would and do defend American's here and the stereotypes that are perceived of you guys, my family is part American, and I visit frequently. So how I know that the stereotypes are wrong and I defend them, I'd equally call out anyone who makes an equally ignorant statement. It's all good though, I'm relaxed trust me, and you justified yourself and you do have a right to an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#222 » by Shady Franchise » Wed May 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Tron Carter- wrote:^

So many people on this forum GET IT at the same time though..

Exactly, and how boring would this board be if everyone agreed on every topic? :nod:
Do not max Vuc!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#223 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed May 18, 2016 5:53 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Bensational wrote:There are some people here playing a pretty self-righteous card without much to back it up.

Do you really want to act like other fans don't have a right to be disappointed with results so far?

Do you really want to act like we've got some kind of certain destiny for a championship with our current roster, or what Scott Skiles was doing?

You can try and brush those away with "improvements", but then you're just failing to see the bigger picture and goal of the franchise.

I see some people calling out 'fair weather fans' whilst backing a post of people saying they just want to hire a coach so they can 'check out for the summer'. That's just pure hypocrisy.

You're all the same lot that are only able to comment on what's right in front of you. Don't blame other people for asking what may be around the corner when you're happy to blindly continue speeding at it at 100mph.

If you want to have digs at people who pose questions and take a stance of certainty, then ante up and put some stakes on the line. If you're not prepared to do that then you're just a coward taking pot shots from the back row.

You can hide under a veil of 'positivity' all you want. But that doesn't shield you from being ignorant.

This post is garbage. Serious. You are a moderator dude, you shouldn't be calling posters ignorant and hypocrites. And before you say you didn't directly call us those things, it's clear the meaning.

So I'm a fair weather fan now? I've watched 95% of all Magic games ever. I wish I were joking, I've spent way too much time on this team. But I digress. If I'm fair weather then the bar is impossibly high.

Agreed. Anyone here going to ante up and put some stakes on the line? This is a public forum where people are free to speak their mind within the confines of the rules. Nobody has to ante up and they certainly don't have to prove anything to anyone. If people cant deal with the reaction they get from a post they make then they can leave.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#224 » by Mc-o » Wed May 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Lol why do people get mad at debates on a forum ?!? Lol can't we all just disagree?! That's kind of the point isn't it ?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,545

Post#225 » by SOUL » Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 pm

OrlDave wrote:So I'm a fair weather fan now? I've watched 95% of all Magic games ever. I wish I were joking, I've spent way too much time on this team. But I digress. If I'm fair weather then the bar is impossibly high.

I think gist of the post is that many people here hold a stance on something and get ridiculed/attacked for it, and then the same people who do that don't really eat crow or admit anything.

I think, at least. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure about the fair weather part.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#226 » by OrlDave » Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 pm

SOUL wrote:
OrlDave wrote:So I'm a fair weather fan now? I've watched 95% of all Magic games ever. I wish I were joking, I've spent way too much time on this team. But I digress. If I'm fair weather then the bar is impossibly high.

I think gist of the post is that many people here hold a stance on something and get ridiculed/attacked for it, and then the same people who do that don't really eat crow or admit anything.

Oh I understood the post, I just didn't like the language he used. Also my OP that started this all wasn't exactly troll worthy, but he referenced it. It was 2 factual statements and one complaint about tanking for 8th (something we've heard before). Then I said I wanted to check out til summer league (he said for the summer, but I did not say that), although really I forgot the draft is first. So if I could do it again I would say "Check out until the draft." And it's not check out from being a Magic fan, but from this forum. Anyway...

"In this thread:

People who think 11th was worst case scenario. It wasn't we could have fallen to 14th. People lauding Boston's trade as if anyone knew when the trade was made that Brooklyn would go from a veteran laden contending team to one of the worst teams in the league. And people wanting us to have tanked for 8th in a terrible draft. Jesus, we need to hire a coach already so I can check out again until Summer league."
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#227 » by Bensational » Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 am

OrlDave wrote:
Bensational wrote:There are some people here playing a pretty self-righteous card without much to back it up.

Do you really want to act like other fans don't have a right to be disappointed with results so far?

Do you really want to act like we've got some kind of certain destiny for a championship with our current roster, or what Scott Skiles was doing?

You can try and brush those away with "improvements", but then you're just failing to see the bigger picture and goal of the franchise.

I see some people calling out 'fair weather fans' whilst backing a post of people saying they just want to hire a coach so they can 'check out for the summer'. That's just pure hypocrisy.

You're all the same lot that are only able to comment on what's right in front of you. Don't blame other people for asking what may be around the corner when you're happy to blindly continue speeding at it at 100mph.

If you want to have digs at people who pose questions and take a stance of certainty, then ante up and put some stakes on the line. If you're not prepared to do that then you're just a coward taking pot shots from the back row.

You can hide under a veil of 'positivity' all you want. But that doesn't shield you from being ignorant.

This post is garbage. Serious. You are a moderator dude, you shouldn't be calling posters ignorant and hypocrites. And before you say you didn't directly call us those things, it's clear the meaning.

So I'm a fair weather fan now? I've watched 95% of all Magic games ever. I wish I were joking, I've spent way too much time on this team. But I digress. If I'm fair weather then the bar is impossibly high.

I called the action of taking a dig at 'fair weather fans' whilst simultaneously quoting someone who says they want to 'check out' from the team hypocritical. That's not offensive. If anything, being hypocritical is offensive.

You were just the one who had been quoted in that context. The person quoting you doesn't know anything of your history with the team or board, (as goes for most of the general public on the board), all they know is the comment you've made which they've directly quoted - and in that context it contradicts the point they were trying to make.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#228 » by Bensational » Thu May 19, 2016 12:27 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Agreed. Anyone here going to ante up and put some stakes on the line? This is a public forum where people are free to speak their mind within the confines of the rules. Nobody has to ante up and they certainly don't have to prove anything to anyone. If people cant deal with the reaction they get from a post they make then they can leave.

Fine, I'll just straight up call you out. Your attitude and behaviour when discussing Skiles this season has been atrociously abrasive and belligerent. And now the guy you unapologetically backed has quit on the team and said he wasn't the right fit, and you're just trying to play it cool and act like it never happened.

You were proved wrong in the most royal way. Man up and eat some crow with a side serving of humble pie. Own it.

Or, consider being less antagonistic with your posts going forwards? Your opinion just took a massive hit in credibility, so you really should think twice before casting stones from your glass house.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#229 » by Xatticus » Thu May 19, 2016 12:45 am

OrlDave wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Oh I understood the post, I just didn't like the language he used. Also my OP that started this all wasn't exactly troll worthy, but he referenced it. It was 2 factual statements and one complaint about tanking for 8th (something we've heard before). Then I said I wanted to check out til summer league (he said for the summer, but I did not say that), although really I forgot the draft is first. So if I could do it again I would say "Check out until the draft." And it's not check out from being a Magic fan, but from this forum. Anyway...

"In this thread:

People who think 11th was worst case scenario. It wasn't we could have fallen to 14th. People lauding Boston's trade as if anyone knew when the trade was made that Brooklyn would go from a veteran laden contending team to one of the worst teams in the league. And people wanting us to have tanked for 8th in a terrible draft. Jesus, we need to hire a coach already so I can check out again until Summer league."

I am just catching up. This place was nearly dead before Skiles resignation, and now I am struggling to find the time to read up on the abundance of activity.

The Boston trade was a bit of brilliance, even at the time. The players they shuffled off the Brooklyn were well past their "sell by" dates. The Nets roster was constructed with a microscopic window that might've already closed on them, with a near certainty of implosion to follow afterwards. Regardless of how one wants to interpret the circumstances at the time, it is just part of the GMs job to forecast this when they conduct their business. Billy King as a general manager was a bigger dumpster fire than Isiah Thomas.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#230 » by OrlDave » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 am

Xatticus wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
SOUL wrote:

"In this thread:

I am just catching up. This place was nearly dead before Skiles resignation, and now I am struggling to find the time to read up on the abundance of activity.

The Boston trade was a bit of brilliance, even at the time. The players they shuffled off the Brooklyn were well past their "sell by" dates. The Nets roster was constructed with a microscopic window that might've already closed on them, with a near certainty of implosion to follow afterwards. Regardless of how one wants to interpret the circumstances at the time, it is just part of the GMs job to forecast this when they conduct their business. Billy King as a general manager was a bigger dumpster fire than Isiah Thomas.

Not saying what Ainge got for those guys wasn't good, but there was no way they'd know that pick would be that good. Remember they went after Dwight shortly after that trade. They could just as soon be a playoff team today with Dwight still on the roster. It was a complete crapshoot.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#231 » by shadrock » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 am

OrlDave wrote:

Its all just a way for him to blow smoke up his own @ss and feel like hes smarter than us. You cant win this argument.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#232 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:03 am

OrlDave wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

"In this thread:

Not saying what Ainge got for those guys wasn't good, but there was no way they'd know that pick would be that good. Remember they went after Dwight shortly after that trade. They could just as soon be a playoff team today with Dwight still on the roster. It was a complete crapshoot.

I can see your point but you also have to consider the picks that they sent to Boston. It is extremely rare to see a pick get traded, these days, that has no protection. They didn't get just 1...they essentially still have 3 unprotected 1st round picks (unprotected this year, right to swap next year, and then unprotected again in 2018). You have to protect your picks...especially when trading that many in a row. Not to mention, the players they were acquiring were short term rentals. Even if PP & KG had dominated and won Brooklyn a title in in that first year...they would have either retired or gone down hill dramatically, like we have seen them do. At this point, with KG, PP, & JJ still on the roster...they are just as bad. I can agree that it would have been hard to predict things going south like they did...but if anyone was in a position to predict that, wouldn't it have been Ainge?
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#233 » by OrlDave » Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I can see your point but you also have to consider the picks that they sent to Boston. It is extremely rare to see a pick get traded, these days, that has no protection. They didn't get just 1...they essentially still have 3 unprotected 1st round picks (unprotected this year, right to swap next year, and then unprotected again in 2018). You have to protect your picks...especially when trading that many in a row. Not to mention, the players they were acquiring were short term rentals. Even if PP & KG had dominated and won Brooklyn a title in in that first year...they would have either retired or gone down hill dramatically, like we have seen them do. At this point, with KG, PP, & JJ still on the roster...they are just as bad. I can agree that it would have been hard to predict things going south like they did...but if anyone was in a position to predict that, wouldn't it have been Ainge?

Giving Ainge a ton of credit. Not saying that the Nets shouldn't have protected the picks, that was dumb, but Ainge isn't a fortune teller. PP and KG were rentals, but that didn't preclude Brooklyn from making good moves. Trading for a player (Dwight or similar), signing decent other players. They could have just as easily reloaded. Except Deron fell off a cliff to the point of uselessness. Who thought that would happen? And they made some more dumb moves and basically destroyed the team. Despite that, they were still in the playoffs last year (somehow).
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#234 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Thu May 19, 2016 6:45 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:
Tron Carter- wrote:
SOUL wrote:Yeah, lets's not get into cultural generalizations.

No ones doing that.

Seems more like insecurity to me..

There's no insecurity here, you made a very blanket statement that was ignorant and patronising. I would and do defend American's here and the stereotypes that are perceived of you guys, my family is part American, and I visit frequently. So how I know that the stereotypes are wrong and I defend them, I'd equally call out anyone who makes an equally ignorant statement. It's all good though, I'm relaxed trust me, and you justified yourself and you do have a right to an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Ive already explained how I wasn't generalizing anyone.. I have no control that you took what I said the wrong way and ran with it. At no point did I use stereotypes so I have no idea why you bring that up.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#235 » by Xatticus » Fri May 20, 2016 12:31 am

Tron Carter- wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
OrlDave wrote:In this thread:

People who think 11th was worst case scenario. It wasn't we could have fallen to 14th. People lauding Boston's trade as if anyone knew when the trade was made that Brooklyn would go from a veteran laden contending team to one of the worst teams in the league. And people wanting us to have tanked for 8th in a terrible draft. Jesus, we need to hire a coach already so I can check out again until Summer league.

You nailed it. This fan base is loaded with people who can not see any positives.

Majority of the time.. Well atleast here.. It's the European fans that are like this.

I don't think they understand how things work.

You just need to own it. Apologize and move on.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#236 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri May 20, 2016 12:49 am

Xatticus wrote:
Tron Carter- wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
You nailed it. This fan base is loaded with people who can not see any positives.

Majority of the time.. Well atleast here.. It's the European fans that are like this.

I don't think they understand how things work.

You just need to own it. Apologize and move on.

You gonna completely ignore the next post where I said it was for the people who became fans of this team once Mario came here?

Meaning they are newer and haven't been on this roller coaster ride everyone else has been on for many years so they don't really have the room to be impatient and don't understand where we are in the process.

Sure I'll own up to that.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#237 » by Xatticus » Fri May 20, 2016 1:25 am

Tron Carter- wrote:You gonna completely ignore the next post where I said it was for the people who became fans of this team once Mario came here?

Meaning they are newer and haven't been on this roller coaster ride everyone else has been on for many years so they don't really have the room to be impatient and don't understand where we are in the process.

It's unfortunate that you can't see the error in all of this.
-pepe1991
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#238 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 am

Xatticus wrote:
Tron Carter- wrote:You gonna completely ignore the next post where I said it was for the people who became fans of this team once Mario came here?

It's unfortunate that you can't see the error in all of this.

That's because there is no error.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#239 » by flying_mollusk » Fri May 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Bensational wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Fine, I'll just straight up call you out. Your attitude and behaviour when discussing Skiles this season has been atrociously abrasive and belligerent. And now the guy you unapologetically backed has quit on the team and said he wasn't the right fit, and you're just trying to play it cool and act like it never happened.

You were proved wrong in the most royal way. Man up and eat some crow with a side serving of humble pie. Own it.

Or, consider being less antagonistic with your posts going forwards? Your opinion just took a massive hit in credibility, so you really should think twice before casting stones from your glass house.

A lot of people turn out to be wrong a lot of times around here and never eat crow. Maybe we should just have a chart and can track opinions, then call everyone out. That might be best.

Return to Orlando Magic