ImageImageImageImage

Extending Ibaka this year + more

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Extending Ibaka this year + more 

Post#1 » by J_Magic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Okay...so we gave up a bit too much I think to get Ibaka...especially if it is a one year rental. However, if Rob has a personal relationship with the man, maybe he can convince Ibaka to sign long term this offseason. He definitely complements Vucevic, who we have on a very nice contract.

If we can get him for 16-20 million per year on a 4-5 year contract, then this trade starts to make some sense.
I think the Sabonis bit reminds me of the Gooden + Varajeo for Battie trade. Was it necessary to clinch the deal? Couldn't we have offered them a lottery protected first instead?

Anyways, back to the team. Currently, we only one one wing scorer and that is Fournier. He's the only one that knows how to create a shot for himself...which is worrying. Oladipo could do that but he was streaky has hell. I think Oladipo play too much inefficient ball so we didn't want to commit the max to resign him.

Up step Henzoja...is he really going to step up? At times, he looked awkward has hell out there last season. He's not as fluid as Fournier so it'll take a major offseason improvement to count on him being a big time contributing player for us next season. I hope he can dominate like Aaron Gordon did in Summer League last season...that would give me hope.

Will AG step up and transform into Grant Hill? That's what we need from him...be more aggressive and look for his shot.
Vogel Knows All
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: Extending Ibaka this year + more 

Post#2 » by Vogel Knows All » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I go hard after Nic Batum.. the dude is a baller and plays both ways. He also is another vet who can bring toughness and nba playoff experience to this young team.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 429

Post#3 » by Magicman125 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:00 pm

For the camps that want Gordon and Hezonja to be given a chance to break out, they should support courting Conley HARD in FA, to give us a ball handler/someone capable of scoring, not a liability on D.

For the camp that thinks we need offense at the 3, we need to look at Durant, Batum, and Parsons (best SFs available in FA)

It's not out of the realm of possibility to get Conley, one of the 3 SFs, and go over the cap to re-sign Fournier, but then we'd need Vogel to manage minutes diligently to still get Gordon and Hezonja the playing time many would like to see for those two.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,415

Post#4 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Does anyone know if the Magic can even sign him to an extension at this point? I think they can but would Ibaka want to given the new salary cap? Would the rules in the CBA be detrimental to setting the value of his extension and he'd be able to make a lot more just by resigning next offseason?
augustopss
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by augustopss » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Extend Ibaka
Sign Conley and Batum
Resign Fournier

Play it Small:

Conley
Fournier
Batum
Gordon
Ibaka

Btw, i just HATE the idea of building a team around Payton and Vucevic. They have flaws in their games that won't lead a team to something big.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#6 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm

im not sure if ive seen anyone post it, what is the max we can give Ibaka next summer?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#7 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm

J_Magic wrote:Okay...so we gave up a bit too much I think to get Ibaka...especially if it is a one year rental. However, if Rob has a personal relationship with the man, maybe he can convince Ibaka to sign long term this offseason. He definitely complements Vucevic, who we have on a very nice contract.

If we can get him for 16-20 million per year on a 4-5 year contract, then this trade starts to make some sense.
I think the Sabonis bit reminds me of the Gooden + Varajeo for Battie trade. Was it necessary to clinch the deal? Couldn't we have offered them a lottery protected first instead?

Anyways, back to the team. Currently, we only one one wing scorer and that is Fournier. He's the only one that knows how to create a shot for himself...which is worrying. Oladipo could do that but he was streaky has hell. I think Oladipo play too much inefficient ball so we didn't want to commit the max to resign him.

Up step Henzoja...is he really going to step up? At times, he looked awkward has hell out there last season. He's not as fluid as Fournier so it'll take a major offseason improvement to count on him being a big time contributing player for us next season. I hope he can dominate like Aaron Gordon did in Summer League last season...that would give me hope.

Will AG step up and transform into Grant Hill? That's what we need from him...be more aggressive and look for his shot.

I'm not so sure about this. In my mind they are more similar than complimentary. Both are mid-range players -- with Vuc a bit more inside and Serge a bit more outside. Lately Serge been as much of a rim protector as Vuc --- certainly he's more capable, but lately he's not been that.

D12 would compliment him better; Adams complimented him better.

That said, I wouldn't hate having Vuc and Serge as our starting front-court. Would improve defensively and in rebounding. A homeless man's version of the Spur's Twin Towers, if you will.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#8 » by EAS Law » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm

If you look at it like Ibaka was the start of our FA period, we're in good shape. What exactly was Sabonis going to do for us? What was anyone at or after 11 going to do for that matter?

Since we have Ibaka now, I think we need to go after KD, and if that fails, we go after a replacement guard upgrade like DeRozan.

I'm not incredibly high on Payton anymore, but I think we need to be patient at our PG and C positions. We hear year after year that those two spots require the longest time for guys to develop and become who they're going to be. I think Rob is very committed to Payton, and I trust his judgment. For all of his faults, Payton is a willing passer, can hit the floater, has good vision, and is an aggressive defender. I think we saw the worst in him because Of Skiles. In retrospect, none of our guys looked like they were having fun playing for him and honestly, I think January was a quiet mutiny and we ended up getting the best result.

Free agency will be fun. I think we will see a significant change in our guys and our schemes. I believe that FA could instantly propel us to contender status of we can nab the right guys. It would be a great turnaround.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#9 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Zmill wrote:im not sure if ive seen anyone post it, what is the max we can give Ibaka next summer?

I believe a max contract for Ibaka would start at around 30M.

It will be roughly 30 percent of the cap, and I think I saw the 2017-18 cap was projected to be 104M.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Dgbarnes
Junior
And1: 196

Post#10 » by Dgbarnes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Nice podcast about the result of the Ibaka trade and what it means for both teams:
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/6/24/12024610/serge-ibaka-trade-analysis-thunder-magic-nba-draft-podcast
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#11 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 pm

If possible, lock him up now and be done with it. Rob is banking app on his relationship with him. Well see. We need to resign Evan now as well as go after some scoring in free agency. Batum would be great but what would that do to AG and Mario? Those two are our future. We're baking alot on them next season after the trade. I don't know how big of a role we are planing for Serge.

Free agency going to be interesting. If we really plan on making the trio of EP,AG,Mario our future while completing for a playoff spot, does it make sense to sign someone that take pt away? The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to go after Conley. It will benefit the team especially Elf.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,102

Post#12 » by Magic#1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:If possible, lock him up now and be done with it. Rob is banking app on his relationship with him. Well see. We need to resign Evan now as well as go after some scoring in free agency. Batum would be great but what would that do to AG and Mario? Those two are our future. We're baking alot on them next season after the trade. I don't know how big of a role we are planing for Serge.

Free agency going to be interesting. If we really plan on making the trio of EP,AG,Mario our future while completing for a playoff spot, does it make sense to sign someone that take pt away? The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to go after Conley. It will benefit the team especially Elf.

A big concern for me as well. I also don't see Ibaka extending when he apparently wants a bigger role. He'll showcase himself this year and then when the cap increases he can make a ton more money. Maybe we will find a way to do it, but I'm guessing that if we want to keep him, we'll have to outbid other teams next summer.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#13 » by Bergmaniac » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm

mhectorgato wrote:I'm not so sure about this. In my mind they are more similar than complimentary. Both are mid-range players -- with Vuc a bit more inside and Serge a bit more outside. Lately Serge been as much of a rim protector as Vuc --- certainly he's more capable, but lately he's not been that.

Ibaka was the 4th best player in the league in protecting the rim during the regular season this year - http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/defense/?sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*55&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

I watched most OKC games this season. Ibaka slipped a bit on D compared to previous seasons, but he was still really good.
zerp
Rookie
And1: 36

Post#14 » by zerp » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Building a championship team with EP at PG is a pipe dream
Go MAGIC
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#15 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:I'm not so sure about this. In my mind they are more similar than complimentary. Both are mid-range players -- with Vuc a bit more inside and Serge a bit more outside. Lately Serge been as much of a rim protector as Vuc --- certainly he's more capable, but lately he's not been that.

Ibaka was the 4th best player in the league in protecting the rim during the regular season this year - http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/defense/?sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*55&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

I watched most OKC games this season. Ibaka slipped a bit on D compared to previous seasons, but he was still really good.

Vuc has 1 blk per game and Serge at 1.9; from my limited eye-ball test he seemed not quite as focused on that part of the game. Guess I was wrong.

Looking at his career numbers, his blks are lowest in 7 years (his rookie year). Perhaps it's Adams or scheme or both. But it would be nice if focused on that a bit more again. Too bad we couldn't add incentives to his contract, ie - if he averaged 2.5 for the season, he'd get extra $$$.

Is that possible in the CBA -- for new teams to add performance addendums to existing contracts?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic