ImageImageImageImage

Stand Pat or Add Free Agents?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Stand Pat or Add Free Agents? 

Post#41 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:00 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
Skin wrote:You don't trade for Ibaka and then stand pat in FA. Jeez. You want him to just walk away?

We need to convince him that we can be a contender or else he'll find one of his own. We traded for him so he can be a catalyst for convincing good FAs to come here. He wasn't brought here to be the "final piece of the puzzle".

Yap :nod:

And this is what infuriates me. If we have to convince him that we're contenders in order for him to stay then we're doomed, because unless we add Durant we're not contenders, not next season and likely not the season after that either. If that is indeed his desire then why the **** wouldn't he just go to GS or SA? Even if we do re-sign serge and it validates the trade, what then? He doesn't make us contenders by himself and who exactly would he be attracting here? imo this was way too risky of a move for what we're getting back (talent wise) even if he does re-sign.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#42 » by Patrick1978 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Skin wrote:
WillyJakkz wrote:I know AG plays both F positions, asking what makes him better at SF over Barnes in your eyes?

And I like Gordon, see him as Shawn Marion type if he can knock down the 3 like prime Shawn.

The way I see it is that Mario Hezonja and Aaron Gordon combined allow us to pass on Barnes. That's 2 top 5 picks. We're in the business of making sure they flourish. Those aren't cheap commodities that we can afford to push off to the wayside and invest max dollars at the position in FA, until we know they are a bust. Plus, they are on friendly rookie contracts that allow us to balance our resources elsewhere at positions of greater need. PG and C are still as weak now as they were prior to the draft.

If the plan is to sign a max FA at SF, then let's start talking about trading Hezonja/Gordon because the obvious lack of faith in them is just going to ruin their trade value once their playing time and role dimishes. Doubt that will be the case though... the youth on this roster is a big reason why Vogel took this job in the first place.

What free Agents do you want to sign?
conley would be great,but i don t think he comes here and henny and frank seem to be committed ti elf.
I think they will go After a guy like lin or sessions.
I think we need also a Backup SF.
A lot of possibilities out there.
Kent bazemore,jeff green,derrick williams,jared dudley,mirza teletovic.
Sign Another big man, mahinmi or acy.
Resign smith and fournier
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
MagicJeff
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#43 » by MagicJeff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 pm

I'd get Joe Johnson for a couple years for SF to help with Evan, Mario and AG on the wing.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#44 » by drsd » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 pm

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#45 » by drsd » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 pm

drsd wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Lol yeah let's just let this 45 mil burn a hole in our pocket and wait until next year...

Orlando must spend cash. But I agree it might be a stop-gap spend. For example, let's say Orlando spends 18-24 M on Batum / Parsons, the other 20 M would be on Jo-filler-X.

Brandon Jennings, has your number been called? Add Evan Fournier, and Orlando makes its payroll min.

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#46 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:
Skin wrote:You don't trade for Ibaka and then stand pat in FA. Jeez. You want him to just walk away?

We need to convince him that we can be a contender or else he'll find one of his own. We traded for him so he can be a catalyst for convincing good FAs to come here. He wasn't brought here to be the "final piece of the puzzle".

And this is what infuriates me. If we have to convince him that we're contenders in order for him to stay then we're doomed, because unless we add Durant we're not contenders, not next season and likely not the season after that either. If that is indeed his desire then why the **** wouldn't he just go to GS or SA? Even if we do re-sign serge and it validates the trade, what then? He doesn't make us contenders by himself and who exactly would he be attracting here? imo this was way too risky of a move for what we're getting back (talent wise) even if he does re-sign.

but but... he's the perfect compliment to Vuc! this balances out our roster perfectly!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#47 » by Skin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:

This trade definitely has risks attached to it. No doubt about that. It also signified a transition in our rebuild from organically grown to insta-win. Our goal may not realistically be legitimate contender next season, but we darn well better be a playoff team... and one that hopefully isn't ousted in Round 1.

Personally, I'm hoping he helps to attract Whiteside or Horford. Sell them on the idea of establishing one of, if not the best frontcourts in the league.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#48 » by MagicFan32 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 pm

if the magic aren't careful they will be in treadmill team territory, that's why I really can't believe they traded Oladipo for Ibaka given the contract statuses. the magic took a shortcut in their rebuild with Skiles and seem to only be continuing that trend and shortcuts don't get you far, unless a superstar falls in your lap
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicJeff
Sophomore

Post#49 » by MagicJeff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:44 pm

Just sign one max guy and get older veterans at lower costs to back up our young guys,I.E. Joe Johnson, Deng, Lee,
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#50 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:if the magic aren't careful they will be in treadmill team territory, that's why I really can't believe they traded Oladipo for Ibaka given the contract statuses. the magic took a shortcut in their rebuild with Skiles and seem to only be continuing that trend and shortcuts don't get you far, unless a superstar falls in your lap

Our "previous" plan hardly put us out of treadmill category. We hadn't even been in contention to make the POs in 4 seasons of our rebuild.

Going to start the 5th season since D12 left town and the rebuild ... making a move now on a team that didn't even make the PO, is hardy shortcut.

BTW - shortcuts are not all bad, just ask the Celtics of a few years back. They flipped their prospects into the Larry O'Brien.

How long do you wait before you say it's not a shortcut? When do you say the organic growth has not worked out? 7 seasons? 10 seasons?

And in what way was Skiles a "shortcut"?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#51 » by MagicFan32 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:if the magic aren't careful they will be in treadmill team territory, that's why I really can't believe they traded Oladipo for Ibaka given the contract statuses. the magic took a shortcut in their rebuild with Skiles and seem to only be continuing that trend and shortcuts don't get you far, unless a superstar falls in your lap

Our "previous" plan hardly put us out of treadmill category. We hadn't even been in contention to make the POs in 4 seasons of our rebuild.

Going to start the 5th season since D12 left town and the rebuild ... making a move now on a team that didn't even make the PO, is hardy shortcut.

BTW - shortcuts are not all bad, just ask the Celtics of a few years back. They flipped their prospects into the Larry O'Brien.

How long do you wait before you say it's not a shortcut? When do you say the organic growth has not worked out? 7 seasons? 10 seasons?

And in what way was Skiles a "shortcut"?

Where does Conley get you and is he worth the risk since he can't stay healthy?
Signing Conley is a move that destines you to chase the 8th seed for 4 years.

Hiring Skiles was clearly a short cut based on his history in the league, a career .500 guy with a mediocre record of talent development it was the magic taking a short cut hoping to get the 8th seed.

Maybe some of you see value in chasing the 8th seed, I don't, that is an automatic exit and you are a treadmill team
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#52 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Where does Conley get you and is he worth the risk since he can't stay healthy?

So again .. how long do you wait until you determine "organic" wasn't working? You're saying we shouldn't make shortcuts.

When do you start --- 2 years from now? 4 years? 5 years?

MagicFan32 wrote:Hiring Skiles was clearly a short cut based on his history in the league, a career .500 guy with a mediocre record of talent development it was the magic taking a short cut hoping to get the 8th seed.

While I'm sure I agree with the thought completely, but it's not unheard of for a coach to transform a team, but be unable to take them to the next level. It's not unheard of to have 2 good coaches during a rebuild.

MagicFan32 wrote:Maybe some of you see value in chasing the 8th seed, I don't, that is an automatic exit and you are a treadmill team

So what if your drafts picks don't take to the PO ---- ever? It's not like we just missed out of the POs by a game or two and our natural growth will take us there.

We're a bad team - not the worst, but still pretty bad. We're not even an average team (still under .500).

I'm not fine with management sitting on their hands doing nothing and showing that there's no real desire to win.

How do you build a winning mentality without actually winning????????
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#53 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 am

If you have a winning mind, and brought up in a winning environment; this is suffocating! Losing is good for a while; you learn something from it, but it takes toll on people who are not accustomed to this situation longer that it should be.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#54 » by MagicFan32 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:11 am

mhectorgato wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:Where does Conley get you and is he worth the risk since he can't stay healthy?

So again .. how long do you wait until you determine "organic" wasn't working? You're saying we shouldn't make shortcuts.

When do you start --- 2 years from now? 4 years? 5 years?

MagicFan32 wrote:Hiring Skiles was clearly a short cut based on his history in the league, a career .500 guy with a mediocre record of talent development it was the magic taking a short cut hoping to get the 8th seed.

While I'm sure I agree with the thought completely, but it's not unheard of for a coach to transform a team, but be unable to take them to the next level. It's not unheard of to have 2 good coaches during a rebuild.

MagicFan32 wrote:Maybe some of you see value in chasing the 8th seed, I don't, that is an automatic exit and you are a treadmill team

So what if your drafts picks don't take to the PO ---- ever? It's not like we just missed out of the POs by a game or two and our natural growth will take us there.

We're a bad team - not the worst, but still pretty bad. We're not even an average team (still under .500).

I'm not fine with management sitting on their hands doing nothing and showing that there's no real desire to win.

How do you build a winning mentality without actually winning????????

Who said doing nothing is fine? Making short sighted panic moves usually don't end well, the Skiles signing was the first domino, this insane Ibaka trade is the second one. The Magic turned Harris/Oladipo/11th into a potential 1 year rental, this is a classic save my job/ownership pressure trade that is likely to hurt the team long term. You can't ignore Ibaka's declining production.

I'm not fine with management taking all this cap space they bragged about having and committing it to B or C level free agents that give this team a limited upside and essentially using a 4 year rebuild to be a 1st round exit team.

Sometimes the best moves you make, are the ones you don't do and I have a feeling this trade with OKC will show that to be true
aol4532 on bill russell
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#55 » by shadrock » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 am

Sign a free agent, then make a trade to balance the roster if needed. But the goal should be to acquire talent.

Example: Sign Horford, trade Vucevic for a SF. World domination.
MagicJeff
Sophomore

Post#56 » by MagicJeff » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:18 am

Sign Horford and trade Vuk for Bledsoe
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#57 » by EAS Law » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:04 am

everyone is so committed to trading Vuc. I don't understand it really at all, yet, letting go of Harris and now Dipo are unthinkable despite the fortresses of bricks they both laid respectively all over the country.

Just my 2 cents--trading for Ibaka wasn't a panick move on anyone's behalf. Free Agency hasn't yet started, and we still have our previous cap space. Let's see what we do. You may be surprised that Hennigan in fact, IS looking ahead to the FA classes beyond this one. Signing Conley alone gives us enough star power to compete in the East. Imagine if we do in fact come out of the shadows and sign the prized FA. I wonder if Hennigan will still be considered such a fool.

You have to make risky/splashy moves sometimes,or else you end up making a series of marginal trades that don't impact anything and lose your job.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#58 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Skin wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:

This trade definitely has risks attached to it. No doubt about that. It also signified a transition in our rebuild from organically grown to insta-win. Our goal may not realistically be legitimate contender next season, but we darn well better be a playoff team... and one that hopefully isn't ousted in Round 1.

Personally, I'm hoping he helps to attract Whiteside or Horford. Sell them on the idea of establishing one of, if not the best frontcourts in the league.

Well Whiteside isn't coming here imo and you know my stance on Horford. He doesn't do anything different than Vucevic other than being a worse rebounder, and he'll command twice as much, likely a max deal. If it is an upgrade it isn't worth the cost imo. But it isn't my money and honestly if the move is made at this point I would just throw my hands up and watch as we dole out max deals with nary an elite player in our midst's.

Us getting into the second round after winning 35 games is a huge stretch but to try and facilitate that Henny will indeed implement "Insta-win" mode but in doing so will be pulling off more risky moves imo, like signing Parsons for example. Good talent that makes us versatile, but has a concerning injury history and could be commanding big money. Insta-win doesn't always equate to smart, no panic move decisions. On the flip side of that I understand that he has to look like he'll do whatever it takes to help this team win.

I don't think we're waiting for the organic process anymore either so guys like Payton, Mario, Fournier and AG better step it up now.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#59 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:29 pm

shadrock wrote:Sign a free agent, then make a trade to balance the roster if needed. But the goal should be to acquire talent.

Example: Sign Horford, trade Vucevic for a SF. World domination.

I know you're semi kidding, but how does Horford equate to world domination? Did the guy average 20 and 10 and I missed it? I admit that I didn't watch the Hawks play that much this season but I was pretty sure he isnt a world beater. People just want to see change for the sake of change imo. He isnt even a dominant defender or rebounder. Seems like an attraction to the last name more so than the actual skill set.

Signing Conley would ACTUALLY be an upgrade imo and would balance out the roster which I agree should be the goal not increasing our salary for marginal improvement.
#2A
#Adopt
MagicJeff
Sophomore

Post#60 » by MagicJeff » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Trade Payton, Mario, next years 1st, 2017 1st for Jimmy Butler. Then sign Conley , Fornier, and Noah.

Return to Orlando Magic