ImageImageImageImage

Magic 23rd ranked Bench in NBA?!?!?!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,547

Re: Magic 23rd ranked Bench in NBA?!?!?! 

Post#161 » by SOUL » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:41 pm

I won't get into the debate, but I don't get why people get so offended at Vuc/Kanter comparisons. He was a top three pick for a reason and is still young, despite his horrendous defense.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#162 » by Xatticus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:46 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:While people continue to ignore what Nik has done even though he was considered a throw in when we traded for him. Kanter was the 3rd pick in the 2011 NBA draft. He severely underachieves while Nik who went 16th has more than exceeded expectations. Enes was a waste of a 3rd pick. Oh and if they are close, Nik makes $5 million less per year. Not only will he put up all star caliber numbers next year he's going to look great starting next to Ibaka.

That is the only reason I would consider taking Vucevic over Kanter. People need to stop propping up accomplishments that are garnered from playing time. The reality is that Vucevic wouldn't have received the same opportunities that he has on pretty much any other roster in the league over the last four years.

So what you are saying is that a player who starts in this league and constantly puts up soiid numbers only gets to do that because he is a on a bad team? Just curious because Kanter was drafted to a bad team (hence being the third pick) and never did much. It seems like complete speculation to assume Kanter is better. He plays against bench players now and he had the chance to be a starter and big time player when he was drafted #3.

Let's just recap. Kanter comes in as the assumed starter to Utah. Loses his job to Gobert, and instead of working to make himself better, he pouts openly, said he didn't play hard in Utah and then trashes the team after he is traded.

Somehow this guy is better than Vucivic because Vuc gets PT and he didn't? Sorry, not buying it champ.

No. I'm saying that on rosters that lack genuine talent, someone soaks up the opportunities. This is the story of the Orlando Magic before Shaq arrived. Players that were barely clinging to NBA rosters were suddenly afforded playing time on lousy rosters. You probably otherwise wouldn't have the vaguest notion of who Scott Skiles is. This concept really isn't difficult to comprehend.

Kanter was significantly younger when he joined Utah, and their frontcourt was far more talented than anything Vucevic has dealt with in Orlando.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#163 » by fklt » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:43 am

kanter is an idiot. really, that guy is an untapped headcase and all his fellow nationals kinda know this. he is similar in his game to vuc though.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#164 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:04 am

SOUL wrote:I won't get into the debate, but I don't get why people get so offended at Vuc/Kanter comparisons. He was a top three pick for a reason and is still young, despite his horrendous defense.

Because people who don't acknowledge the mental side of the game give Kanter too much credit right now.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,547

Post#165 » by SOUL » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:28 am

PennytoShaq wrote:Because people who don't acknowledge the mental side of the game give Kanter too much credit right now.

That may be true, I'm just saying from a pure comparison standpoint that Kanter isn't a slouch or a slight, whether true or not.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#166 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:50 pm

SOUL wrote:I won't get into the debate, but I don't get why people get so offended at Vuc/Kanter comparisons. He was a top three pick for a reason and is still young, despite his horrendous defense.

Some fans are emotionally invested in Vucevic
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#167 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Zmill wrote:

Why do people have to be "offended" or have an "emotional attachment" to think Nik is the better player? There's always one accusing others of having a personal attachment to a player just for having a difference of opinion. **** is weak.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#168 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Zmill wrote:

Why do people have to be "offended" or have an "emotional attachment" to think Nik is the better player? There's always one accusing others of having a personal attachment to a player just for having a difference of opinion. **** is weak.

A lot of people are partial to Vucevic because they like underdogs and because they like guys who want to be here. He's also the anti-D12. Both on and off the court.

Didnt you say you dont watch the NBA if the Magic aren't playing? That is probably somewhat the cause of our disagreement
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#169 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Zmill wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Zmill wrote:

A lot of people are partial to Vucevic because they like underdogs and because they like guys who want to be here. He's also the anti-D12. Both on and off the court.

Didnt you say you dont watch the NBA if the Magic aren't playing? That is probably somewhat the cause of our disagreement

I tune in to watch Orlando play for the most part. However I don't need nor have the time to watch 82 games of another player in order to get a grasp on how good they are or aren't may be others do. All in all I think most can watch a handful of minutes of a guy play over the course of a few games to get a feel for what he can do and thus form an opinion.
#2A
#Adopt
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#170 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Zmill wrote:

But doesn't that seem far more plausible than stating that others manifest their affiliation with the Magic in negativity? This is a far more common complaint, and I haven't noticed anyone stepping up to defend those that are critical of anything this front office does. Given the amount of losing this franchise has endured over the last four years, shouldn't an absence of critique seem more irrational? It really doesn't bother me when others attack me in this way, as I see it as whining from those with an emotional attachment. I accept that this homerism happens, but I try to stick to what is relevant to the particular topic as opposed to calling it out.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#171 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Zmill wrote:

But doesn't that seem far more plausible than stating that others manifest their affiliation with the Magic in negativity? This is a far more common complaint, and I haven't noticed anyone stepping up to defend those that are critical of anything this front office does. Given the amount of losing this franchise has endured over the last four years, shouldn't an absence of critique seem more irrational? It really doesn't bother me when others attack me in this way, as I see it as whining from those with an emotional attachment. I accept that this homerism happens, but I try to stick to what is relevant to the particular topic as opposed to calling it out.

This has nothing to do with a perceived lack of critiquing the front office, the topic being discussed falls into the player comparison category. The back and forth was consistent with that until somebody decided that "well it must be an emotional attachment". That type of response typically comes when the poster has nothing to add of substance or just doesn't want to put the effort into adding to the discussion, so they loop all the people on one side of the argument and label them "emotionally attached" because there's no way he's possibly better. I also feel that most, including myself, have said that its possible Nik is traded next season with that riding on what Biyombo turns into. I don't get a sense of emotional attachment least of all when comparing him to a player that many consider his equal. We aren't comparing him to Demarcus Cousins here.

I've been most critical of the FO this past offseason and have even agreed that Hennigan's job may be in jeopardy but I'm also happy that they've finally taken the chance a couple of "swing for the fences move."
#2A
#Adopt
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#172 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Zmill wrote:

Not really. If you really paid attention, you would have known about everyone expected the Magic would be losing for years after the Dwight trade. It was basically alluded to when Rob took over. He said it in his interviews, the media said the same thing. It was pretty much established that a rebuild in the NBA takes a long time and we'd probably be bad for 4-5 years.

It's not homerism, it is just knowledge of the situation. Homerism to me would be people getting upset that a Magic team rolling out 4 guys under 25 in the starting lineup was not making the playoffs.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#173 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:This has nothing to do with a perceived lack of critiquing the front office, the topic being discussed falls into the player comparison category. The back and forth was consistent with that until somebody decided that "well it must be an emotional attachment". That type of response typically comes when the poster has nothing to add of substance or just doesn't want to put the effort into adding to the discussion, so they loop all the people on one side of the argument and label them "emotionally attached" because there's no way he's possibly better. I also feel that most, including myself, have said that its possible Nik is traded next season with that riding on what Biyombo turns into. I don't get a sense of emotional attachment least of all when comparing him to a player that many consider his equal. We aren't comparing him to Demarcus Cousins here.

I've been most critical of the FO this past offseason and have even agreed that Hennigan's job may be in jeopardy but I'm also happy that they've finally taken the chance a couple of "swing for the fences move."

I don't disagree with anything you have said. My point was simply that critiquing anything Magic-associated brings a flurry of hater accusations from the same folks over and over again. I don't think it is at all inappropriate to question the biases on this board as it relates to this particular argument.
-pepe1991
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,340

Post#174 » by Jellybeans » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:00 pm

So much hate for us :D
That article is one big bullcrap.Look at number two..They lost all their players from bench.How they r number two with Livingston and Igy? rest of does guys are just bad..
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Magic 23rd ranked Bench in NBA?!?!?! 

Post#175 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:This has nothing to do with a perceived lack of critiquing the front office, the topic being discussed falls into the player comparison category. The back and forth was consistent with that until somebody decided that "well it must be an emotional attachment". That type of response typically comes when the poster has nothing to add of substance or just doesn't want to put the effort into adding to the discussion, so they loop all the people on one side of the argument and label them "emotionally attached" because there's no way he's possibly better. I also feel that most, including myself, have said that its possible Nik is traded next season with that riding on what Biyombo turns into. I don't get a sense of emotional attachment least of all when comparing him to a player that many consider his equal. We aren't comparing him to Demarcus Cousins here.

I don't disagree with anything you have said. My point was simply that critiquing anything Magic-associated brings a flurry of hater accusations from the same folks over and over again. I don't think it is at all inappropriate to question the biases on this board as it relates to this particular argument.

I see. apologize then. I agree with that,sentiment.
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic