ImageImageImageImage

Most Iconic Magic Player

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who is the Orlando Magic's most iconic player?

Shaquille O'Neal
58%
Tracy McGrady
9%
Dwight Howard
12%
Nick Anderson
5%
Other
16%

Total votes: 43

npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Re: Most Iconic Magic Player 

Post#21 » by npiper17 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
I dont personally believe that Penny had a higher profile than Dwight. More media options available during Dwight's time with Orlando which helps. If Penny was here now vs then, it would probably be Penny.

I hear what you're saying but will Dwight get an ESPN 30 for 30 in 20 years about his time in Orlando?

I actually think more media options meant there was less focus on Dwight than Shaq and Penny had in the 90s.

I think there's a decent chance he gets that 30 for 30 long before then, say in the next 5-10 years. It'll revolve around how in his first 6 or so years in the league he was a star, one of the most well liked players in the league, and then suddenly he began clashing with coaching and management, and went through a media circus over whether or not he wanted out of Orlando. Probably won't happen until his story (playing career) is finished though.

This is a tough question. What makes a player iconic for a team? Is it when a team is mentioned, what players come to mind? if that's the case, I'd put Dwight, Shaq, T-Mac all in the same conversation, maybe even Penny. If we're talking if when a PLAYER is mention, what team comes to mind? Dwight, T-Mac, and Penny, but not Shaq. Shaq is associated more with the Lakers and Heat than the Magic.

I think it's the first one though, when a team is mentioned, who comes to mind. For me it's Dwight and T-Mac.

I take your point on the 30 for 30 thing. If Dwight did have one then it would probably focus on the narrative you outlined. However I don't think Dwight will end his career being forever considered a 'Magic' in the way that say Penny is, despite having played for other teams. I think this is partly because back in the early 90s there was so much interest around the up-and-coming Magic (as detailed in the 30 for 30) whereas even when Dwight was at the peak of his powers in Orlando, the national attention always seemed to be elsewhere - Boston Big 3, Lebron, Kobe, etc. I guess that's what I struggle with the notion of Dwight as an icon.
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,060

Post#22 » by Dennis Reynolds » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 pm

"Y'all didn't even mention me? Damn."
chosen12141
Junior
And1: 117

Post#23 » by chosen12141 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:59 am

JaxMagic wrote:I voted Shaq. He left a bad taste in everyone's mouth but despite that he is still the most iconic player to ever put on the Magic uniform.

Without question!

He was the foundation that brought us into significance! Broke my heart when he left, but everybody had skin in that mess!
Waiting for the Championship parade at Lake Eola!
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#24 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:47 am

This one is interesting. It really just depends what you mean by iconic. Of course shaq was our most recognizable & polarizing player we ever had. Penny is sort of the golden child for magic basketball because he was so marketable & liked. If your try and pick someone like this magic poll they are doing on Facebook& ig(which has been horrible) with which magic player was best in a magic uniform, as much as i hate to say it dwight probably is #1. His accolades in a magic uniform stack up pretty well with shaq. If not surpassing him. He wasn't the dominate force on offense shaq was but he was the better defender and really was the driving force in our team being Championship caliber. I can understand why people would pick shaq, penny, tmac for thwir stardom or even players like armstrong, Anderson, jameer, hedo they will always be fan favorites. But if you are saying strictly in a magic uniform I have to go dwight...
GO MAGIC
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#25 » by Statlanta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Skin wrote:No Penny on this list??? For shame.

Yeah I put him in the others probably is too good for that and merits a poll option
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#26 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:34 pm

3ddman23 wrote:This one is interesting. It really just depends what you mean by iconic. Of course shaq was our most recognizable & polarizing player we ever had. Penny is sort of the golden child for magic basketball because he was so marketable & liked. If your try and pick someone like this magic poll they are doing on Facebook& ig(which has been horrible) with which magic player was best in a magic uniform, as much as i hate to say it dwight probably is #1. His accolades in a magic uniform stack up pretty well with shaq. If not surpassing him. He wasn't the dominate force on offense shaq was but he was the better defender and really was the driving force in our team being Championship caliber. I can understand why people would pick shaq, penny, tmac for thwir stardom or even players like armstrong, Anderson, jameer, hedo they will always be fan favorites. But if you are saying strictly in a magic uniform I have to go dwight...

Yea it really depends on OP's definition of iconic. Best career is definitely Dwight. Just feels weird to have Shaq as most iconic for us when for the general public everyone associates him with the Lakers and the Heat
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#27 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Xatticus wrote:I like this thread, and I hope a lot of folks contribute to it.

My favorite Magic player was Darrell Armstrong, followed pretty closely by Nick Anderson. Both of those players spanned multiple eras in Magic history. Each was shuffled off rather unceremoniously, which was really unfortunate, but unlike the big three that most of the praise gets heaped upon, neither left of their own volition.

You and me both. Darrell Armstrong was my favorite player without a doubt. One of my employees bought me a signed Darrell Armstrong Basketball a couple of years ago. It's definitely not my most expensive piece of memorabilia by a long shot but it is my absolute favorite.

So many games that he had an impact on. Game winning shots while the entire arena is on the edge of their seats with 2 seconds remaining. Those charges he was able to get at just the right time. What an incredible story of him getting to the league and staying relevant. I've always wondered why the Magic haven't tried to bring him back but I'm sure life is pretty good with the Mav's. Atleast I get to see him once in a while now that I'm living in Dallas.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#28 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:49 pm

npiper17 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
I hear what you're saying but will Dwight get an ESPN 30 for 30 in 20 years about his time in Orlando?

I actually think more media options meant there was less focus on Dwight than Shaq and Penny had in the 90s.

I think there's a decent chance he gets that 30 for 30 long before then, say in the next 5-10 years. It'll revolve around how in his first 6 or so years in the league he was a star, one of the most well liked players in the league, and then suddenly he began clashing with coaching and management, and went through a media circus over whether or not he wanted out of Orlando. Probably won't happen until his story (playing career) is finished though.

This is a tough question. What makes a player iconic for a team? Is it when a team is mentioned, what players come to mind? if that's the case, I'd put Dwight, Shaq, T-Mac all in the same conversation, maybe even Penny. If we're talking if when a PLAYER is mention, what team comes to mind? Dwight, T-Mac, and Penny, but not Shaq. Shaq is associated more with the Lakers and Heat than the Magic.

I think it's the first one though, when a team is mentioned, who comes to mind. For me it's Dwight and T-Mac.

I take your point on the 30 for 30 thing. If Dwight did have one then it would probably focus on the narrative you outlined. However I don't think Dwight will end his career being forever considered a 'Magic' in the way that say Penny is, despite having played for other teams. I think this is partly because back in the early 90s there was so much interest around the up-and-coming Magic (as detailed in the 30 for 30) whereas even when Dwight was at the peak of his powers in Orlando, the national attention always seemed to be elsewhere - Boston Big 3, Lebron, Kobe, etc. I guess that's what I struggle with the notion of Dwight as an icon.

We'll have to see how things turn out for Dwight in Atlanta before he get's that 30 for 30 thing. Honestly, I hope he does well.

However, for funny's sake: Dwight's more likely to (Blank) than get his own 30 for 30.

Dwight's more likely to be on Maury Povich telling Dwight "You are the father" than him getting a 30 for 30 segment.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#29 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:03 pm

Seriously though, it is Dwight, no matter how pissed off we all are to admit it.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#30 » by pogiro » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:39 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Image

Seriously though, it is Dwight, no matter how pissed off we all are to admit it.

Yea Dwight, as much as it sucks to say. I wish I could say it was Shaq, but he was only here for 4 years and his prime years were elsewhere. I wish I could say Penny but his Orlando Magic pinnacle is linked with Shaq. And the years after Shaq left we didn't have all that much success. I wish I could say Tmac but again, as great as it was to watch him, middle of the pack team success undermines that.

It should be unquestionably Dwight.

P.S. How the feezy did Penny not get an option?
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#31 » by Audi » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 am

Most Ironic Magic Player?
Joe Wolf. Mega hairy and every touch filled the arena with howling fans.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#32 » by zuppafly » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 am

Travis Diener.

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#33 » by RickB-Orlando » Wed Sep 7, 2016 11:55 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:The players most identified with the Magic are Penny, T-Mac and Dwight because their peak was here and for injury reasons they weren't able to match what they did here anywhere else. When you think of Shaq you think of Lakers. And no offense to Nick, but nobody ever thinks of Nick, period. So for those reasons it's either Penny, T-Mac or Dwight. And I think Penny probably had the highest profile out of those 3.

When I think of Shaq, I think of the most dominating player we've ever had here.

Like him or hate him, he single-handedly changed the face of this franchise forever. Sure, I hate the way his all too-short tenure here ended, but he's the most iconic IMHO.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#34 » by MoMM » Thu Sep 8, 2016 1:05 am

Skin wrote:No Penny on this list??? For shame.

Agreed, Nick over Penny? Come on!!!

As for voting, I voted for Shaq and then I would follow with Penny, D12 and Tmac.

Shaq and Penny are related, we were one of the preferred teams in the league, everyone loved us. Unfortunately for Penny, he was 1B and Shaq 1A player. I still have Penny's shirt and play wearing it at least once a month.

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#35 » by SD2042 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 pm

A tough question. I would have the duo of Shaq and Penny as their relevance with the Magic put the team on the map. This duo could've been one of the better ones in the NBA the egos did not get in the way and how the Magic were a novice when it came down to how much money to give players of Shaq's caliber at the time.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#36 » by bakesale » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:11 am

I'm from Australia and the most iconic is easily Shaq.

I go by the if I mentioned the name to my mum who has no interest in basketball whatsoever which name would she know? Basically the only players she really knows of are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Shaq and maybe Lebron. The years Jordan started winning championships and Shaq entered the league, the world went crazy for the NBA. It's no question in my mind.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#37 » by Hilltop » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:28 am

It's between Penny, Dwight, and Diener.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731