ImageImageImageImage

Music to my ears: Ibaka Wants To Stay With Magic 'Forever'

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Re: Music to my ears: Ibaka Wants To Stay With Magic 'Forever' 

Post#41 » by tooler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Ibaka might do is a solid like Fournier and Vucevic and take a smaller contract.

The problem is when, say, the Raptors show up with a max offer. That's when we'll see what loyalty gets us.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#42 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:13 am

tooler wrote:Ibaka might do is a solid like Fournier and Vucevic and take a smaller contract.

The problem is when, say, the Raptors show up with a max offer. That's when we'll see what loyalty gets us.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think we can still afford to give him a max if we need to. Might need to renounce some players but I dont think we will let him walk because of money. Wouldn't have traded for him if we knew we couldn't max him the following summer. Alot will depend on our success this year. If we make the playoffs, its a def possibility.
chosen12141
Junior
And1: 117

Post#43 » by chosen12141 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:29 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
tooler wrote:Ibaka might do is a solid like Fournier and Vucevic and take a smaller contract.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think we can still afford to give him a max if we need to. Might need to renounce some players but I dont think we will let him walk because of money. Wouldn't have traded for him if we knew we couldn't max him the following summer. Alot will depend on our success this year. If we make the playoffs, its a def possibility.

Exactly.....it's called forward thinking!!! already accounted for! If he wanted to accept another offer it will mean millions of $$$ less.
Waiting for the Championship parade at Lake Eola!
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#44 » by MoMM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:01 am

Def Swami wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Image

Welcome to the new cap world. The 10+ is projected at $33.6 million right now for next year.

If it makes you feel any better, each is only a slight jump from this year. ~$2.3 for the mid tier of 7-9 years experience and ~$2.7 for the highest tier of 10+ years of experience.

The number itself doesn't shock so much as who may be receiving it. Locking 28 mill up in a 12/8/2 player is a tough decision, but one that the Magic likely calculated back when they traded for him. I'm optimistic he can live up to a max deal though.

Well, probably Oladipo will want a MAX contract as well...
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#45 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 am

MoMM wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
Welcome to the new cap world. The 10+ is projected at $33.6 million right now for next year.

If it makes you feel any better, each is only a slight jump from this year. ~$2.3 for the mid tier of 7-9 years experience and ~$2.7 for the highest tier of 10+ years of experience.

The number itself doesn't shock so much as who may be receiving it. Locking 28 mill up in a 12/8/2 player is a tough decision, but one that the Magic likely calculated back when they traded for him. I'm optimistic he can live up to a max deal though.

Well, probably Oladipo will want a MAX contract as well...

He does. He has already stated that.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242960/Victor-Oladipo-Looking-For-Max-Extension-From-Thunder

Another reason why I thought he was traded. RH liked him but did not believe he is a max player. Despite how he does in OKC this year and their success, he might get that. If OKC does offer it to him, some other teams will. That's why in the back of my head I knew a trade for him wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Was still shocked but it had to be done. The NBAs sees Victor Oladipos every year but players like Ibaka dont come around as often. His skill set are more valuable to this team and more deserving of a max. If we make the playoffs next year, Serge getting a max is almost automatic.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Music to my ears: Ibaka Wants To Stay With Magic 'Forever' 

Post#46 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:04 am

I'm optimistic that he stays true to his words. He does come off as a really sincere guy. I'd much rather be paying Ibaka the max next summer over Victor.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#47 » by SOUL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 am

Let's see how he plays for us before we discuss any BFF stuff, but it's good to see him not go the normal soon-to-be-free-agent route and play it close to the vest and elude any question about their impending free agency.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#48 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:18 pm

SOUL wrote:Let's see how he plays for us before we discuss any BFF stuff, but it's good to see him not go the normal soon-to-be-free-agent route and play it close to the vest and elude any question about their impending free agency.

:rofl:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#49 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:48 pm

OrlandO wrote:
woosah wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Not usually that strongly. I can't remember anyone saying "forever", but who knows, he hasn't actually played for us yet.

July 12, 2007 - Dwight Howard signed his first contract extension with the Orlando Magic. It was a five-year deal worth the maximum $83,235,900 and one that Howard said would keep him in Orlando for the rest of his career.

"I always said I wanted to be here until I retire myself. Me and Mickey Mouse will be here forever. I am very excited about re-signing with the Magic and I want to be here until I retire. There is no other place that I want to be besides in Orlando."

Difference is dwight was already here, was on his rookie deal and was about to be a restricted free agent. Ibaka was forced here in a trade and will be unrestricted next summer... he had no obligation or expectation to say what he did this early. The players who usually do so are guys who aren't highly sought after...

Sorry but that's just spin to me. As an upcoming UFA he's still obligated to say the right things regardless of how he arrived in Orlando. He has to show that he's committed and loyal so that other teams are comfortable come at him with the best offer especially with reports surfacing that he was disgruntled and wanted out of OKC. He's had to do a small repair on his image.

Smitty731 wrote:Not that he doesn't have the right to change his mind, but it was very, very sincere when he said it. He actually cut the question off before it was finished to start his answer.
:lol:
Of course he did. After all that stuff in OKC he doesn't want anyone bringing it up loyalty. Come on guys. I'll believe him when/if he re-signs.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: RE: Re: Music to my ears: Ibaka Wants To Stay With Magic 'Forever' 

Post#50 » by OrlandO » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
woosah wrote:

Difference is dwight was already here, was on his rookie deal and was about to be a restricted free agent. Ibaka was forced here in a trade and will be unrestricted next summer... he had no obligation or expectation to say what he did this early. The players who usually do so are guys who aren't highly sought after...

Sorry but that's just spin to me. As an upcoming UFA he's still obligated to say the right things regardless of how he arrived in Orlando. He has to show that he's committed and loyal so that other teams are comfortable come at him with the best offer especially with reports surfacing that he was disgruntled and wanted out of OKC. He's had to do a small repair on his image.

Smitty731 wrote:Not that he doesn't have the right to change his mind, but it was very, very sincere when he said it. He actually cut the question off before it was finished to start his answer.

Of course he did. After all that stuff in OKC he doesn't want anyone bringing it up loyalty. Come on guys. I'll believe him when/if he re-signs.

Disagree. He's not obligated to say it because 1) it's not expected at all this early in the process and 2) he holds all the cards in free agency. He is going to be a top free agent who will command max offers whether you think he's worth it or not. If a team needs a PF and has the money, they will come after him. He doesn't have to show loyalty either because he's going to be locked up on his next deal. What you're describing is a rfa who is forced to say things because he knows he's trapped or a lower tier player who has to convince teams to sign him.

What are you even talking about in OKC. He wanted to stay there, they traded him by choice.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#51 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:15 pm

OrlandO wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Difference is dwight was already here, was on his rookie deal and was about to be a restricted free agent. Ibaka was forced here in a trade and will be unrestricted next summer... he had no obligation or expectation to say what he did this early. The players who usually do so are guys who aren't highly sought after...

Disagree. He's not obligated to say it because he holds all the cards in free agency. He is going to be a top free agent who will command max offers whether you think he's worth it or not. He doesn't have to show loyalty either because he's going to be locked up on his next deal. What you're describing is a rfa who is forced to say things because he knows he's trapped or a lower tier player who has to convince teams to sign him.

What are you even talking about in OKC. He wanted to stay there, they traded him by choice.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/serge-ibaka-reportedly-unhappy-role-okc-prior-trade/#7lWsurLrQmqfDGPL.97
http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/29/serge-ibaka-sends-subtle-message-to-russell-westbrook-eight-minutes-and-you-dont-touch-the-ball/

“I’m gonna tell you the truth, it’s hard sometimes when you play hard, you play you’re (butt off),” Ibaka swore, before apologizing and rephrasing. “You play so hard on defense, then you come to offense and you’re going to be out there in the corner for 4, 5, 6, sometimes 8 minutes and you don’t touch the ball. We human, man. It’s hard.”

This doesn't mean I absolutely think he's going to leave and I've got this other cat calling me a whiny douche bag from behind his computer screen for having a different opinion, so I don't want people to assume I think he's leaving for sure. Or that I'm a hater because that's the other go to response people give.

I'm Just pointing out that, considering the events in OKC and the fact that he would like to have pristine image going into free agency it makes sense that he stopped the question short and made his forever statement. Considering his relationship with Hennigan and the fact that we took a big risk in trading for him, I think he re-signs here, however, those reasons dont discount a team like Toronto, whos more equipped to compete in the PO's, offering him a max deal and scooping him up. I cant sit here and honestly guarantee he'd bypass an opportunity at a title because of warm fuzzy feelings for Orlando.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#52 » by The Other Ankle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Disagree. He's not obligated to say it because he holds all the cards in free agency. He is going to be a top free agent who will command max offers whether you think he's worth it or not. He doesn't have to show loyalty either because he's going to be locked up on his next deal. What you're describing is a rfa who is forced to say things because he knows he's trapped or a lower tier player who has to convince teams to sign him.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/serge-ibaka-reportedly-unhappy-role-okc-prior-trade/#7lWsurLrQmqfDGPL.97
http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/29/serge-ibaka-sends-subtle-message-to-russell-westbrook-eight-minutes-and-you-dont-touch-the-ball/

“I’m gonna tell you the truth, it’s hard sometimes when you play hard, you play you’re (butt off),” Ibaka swore, before apologizing and rephrasing. “You play so hard on defense, then you come to offense and you’re going to be out there in the corner for 4, 5, 6, sometimes 8 minutes and you don’t touch the ball. We human, man. It’s hard.”

This doesn't mean I absolutely think he's going to leave and I've got this other cat calling me a whiny douche bag from behind his computer screen for having a different opinion, so I don't want people to assume I think he's leaving for sure. Or that I'm a hater because that's the other go to response people give.

I'm Just pointing out that, considering the events in OKC and the fact that he would like to have pristine image going into free agency it makes sense that he stopped the question short and made his forever statement. Considering his relationship with Hennigan and the fact that we took a big risk in trading for him, I think he re-signs here, however, those reasons dont discount a team like Toronto, whos more equipped to compete in the PO's, offering him a max deal and scooping him up. I cant sit here and honestly guarantee he'd bypass an opportunity at a title because of warm fuzzy feelings for Orlando.

It's a whiny reach to go against the statements of Ibaka and the judgement of Rob in acquiring him. The obvious presumption is that they have a relationship and Orlando will be Serge's home for a long time.

It's a douchey approach to KEEP posting your doubts and conjecture, as if your opinion was something that mattered in proportion to your post count.

You're the only one to take "whiny" and "douchey" and add "bag". I just pointed out that you're on the wrong side of a simple discussion and rather annoying about it.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#53 » by Skin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 pm

shadrock wrote:
uraverage wrote:Dwight wanted to stay too.

Nah. Dwight always said squirmy soft stuff like "my focus right now is just on this season and winning". Serge is also 1000000 times more mature than Coward Howard so i think he wouldnt say this unless it was genuine.

Amen. Comparing Serge's word to Dwight's is a down right embarrassment. :nonono:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#54 » by Skin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

12 Blocks, 8 Assists vs 2 Turnovers is not a bad stat line. :lol:

Seriously though, Ibaka is one of the top FAs in the summer. He'll be getting that money whether with us or someone else. This is what NBA owners have to deal with. This is the big boys club.

What we need to do is reciprocate the love to Serge so other teams can be warned off and strategize their offseason with the idea that they have no hope in signing Serge.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#55 » by Xatticus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

That's the problem with the artificial ceiling for contracts in the current CBA. Money is diverted away from the best players in the league to everyone that isn't on a rookie scale deal. For anyone else, you are paying an inflated salary relative to their actual value. This is why the league is dominated by teams that have legitimate stars. It has become evident to me that very few fans really care about the economic particulars of the roster's construction, even as our current rebuild is a rather obvious product of haphazard spending. The prospect of giving Ibaka a max contract to keep him keep him around scares me as well, but I will wait until this all becomes imminent before I start griping about it.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#56 » by npiper17 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Isn't it just easier to say that hopefully Ibaka plays well and wants to stay with the Magic but as none of us know if that will happen, there is little point going at each other about it with the season not even underway?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#57 » by OrlandO » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

The rest of the quote for clarity...
"But now we’re playing great basketball. Russell and Kevin are doing a better job moving the ball, making us to feel a part of the team, too."

OKC was on a winning streak when he said all that. He was asked what turned things around since they were previously playing poorly. He was just being honest and pointing out the difference between playing selfishly and unselfishly. He went on to name other role players and stress how important it was to keep them, everyone, involved. It wasn't just about him, it was about the team.

Ibaka was loyal and OKC was not...
I never asked to be traded.

I’m not the kind of guy who’s going to go in and ask for a trade, and I would have been happy staying with the Thunder.

I'll say it again, he doesn't have to convince other teams he's loyal. He was on one team for 7 years, never asked for a trade, and was forced out. Loyalty to his next team, whether it's here or elsewhere, will be proven by signing a 4 year contract. Suggesting he is only saying he wants to be here to prove he's loyal to other teams doesn't even make sense... the last thing other teams want is for him to be loyal to us. All he has to do is produce on the court and teams will come for him with huge offers. The Magic's job is to keep him happy the whole season and win games... so far he seems happy with the situation he's landed in and I think that's all we can hope for at this point.

It's not about being completely convinced by one or two early actions or comments. It's a fluid situation... you keep an eye on what he's doing and saying and eventually you might be able to get a good read on whether he wants to stay or not by piecing it all together. What he said recently goes in the plus column, tomorrow he might say something that goes in the minus column, who knows. All I know is I'd rather see him having fun, saying positive things about his coach, teammates and fans than see him sulking, bumping heads with teammates/the coach, and deflecting questions about his thoughts on his situation. I want this to play out from start to finish like batum/charlotte rather than dwight/la.
erod009
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#58 » by erod009 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Wow...

Tobias= Role Player
Oladipo= High level specialist (predicted)
Sabonis= Rookie

vs

Ikaba= Legitimate and proven elite role player and specialist
Biyombo= High level specialist (predicted)
Green= Proven vet role player

I know which one I take and which one we now and in the future, and Tobias isn't on our roster...

but but you forgot about Coward

What I mean is I believe Payton/Dipo/Tobias/Gordon/Vooch is young and a better team than Payton/Fournier/GordonSF/Ibaka/Vooch.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#59 » by Tayswagzzz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Played some 2k17 last night as the Magic vs Boston, lit em up with Ibaka, 22 pts 8 reb 4 ast 3 blocks (6 min quarters). Dude is a beastttttt!
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#60 » by tiderulz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm

erod009 wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:

Wow...

Tobias= Role Player
Oladipo= High level specialist (predicted)
Sabonis= Rookie

vs

Ikaba= Legitimate and proven elite role player and specialist
Biyombo= High level specialist (predicted)
Green= Proven vet role player

I know which one I take and which one we now and in the future, and Tobias isn't on our roster...

but but you forgot about Coward

What I mean is I believe Payton/Dipo/Tobias/Gordon/Vooch is young and a better team than Payton/Fournier/GordonSF/Ibaka/Vooch.

cant agree with you there.

Return to Orlando Magic