ImageImageImageImage

nba draft 2017

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Re: nba draft 2017 

Post#1181 » by Xatticus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:24 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:Why are you scary with isaac?
Tatum,monk,dsj,ntilikina(my dark horse),isaac is my list.

Right now Isaac is a tweener. I don't think he's a full time SF in the NBA. He's just not fluid enough. If he's a 3-D SF, then fine... but 3-D SFs are not superstars. They are guys like Tayshaun Prince, Trevor Ariza, DeMarr Carroll, Andre Iguodala, Robert Covington... Bruce Bowen, Mikael Pietrus...

I project his best position as a PF, but since he's so rail thin, I think it will take many years for him to reach his peak. It will also take him time to develop his post game because right now he has none. I like the "more defensive" Rashard Lewis comparison. That's enough for me to like him if we're picking at 5 or 6. But he's not a Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis type of PF prospect.

I LOVE DJS and Jackson though. No questions about what they are and how they fit. I also see them as Superstars.
Sorry but how can you say that DSJ is a potential superstar but not Isaac? DSJ has been dropping in the mocks lately after he failed to beat some of the top teams. It shows that he is a good PG vs mediocre talent but when faced vs Jackson, ball, or Fultz, NC State came short and he shot poorly. I was high on him in the beginning but has fallen off. He is also small PG that does not project to be a good defender in that NBA. He reminds me of Lowry at this point. Another thing that concerns me about him is he has s history of a torn ACL. That makes him more susceptible to tear it again in the NBA with the increased speed and intensity of the game. Its a big risk to pick him ahead of Isaac or the rest.

Also, sorry but your Isaac comparison is pretty bad. He is a PF in college but will be an SF in the NBA. Not fluid enough? The guy is like 6'10 and has the handles of a guard and the speed to complement it. He used to be an SG and when that 5'6inch growth spurt hit, he grew to 6'9-6'10 and kept his handles and speed. I agree that it will take a couple of seasons for him to be a dominant SF but he will get there. Rashard was the same way in the beginning. It took him 3-4 seasons to really establish himself as a starting SF. Isaac will need to bulk up and learn to guard other SF but he has the skills and tools to get there. If there is one thing we have as Magic fans is time. One thing he already has is that shooting stroke. His rookie year he will be a spot up guy, maybe a drive here and there , and move the ball around. Pretty much what we need in a SF right now. Its a match made in heaven.

I agree on Jackson too. He is more advanced then Isaac as far as a playmaker and has a higher ceiling especially on the defensive end. He is like a Jimmy butler/Wiggins mix.

I think Lowry is a pretty good comp for DSJ as well. He is much further along offensively than Lowry was when he entered the NBA, but Lowry was the vastly superior defender. DSJ has a bit more athleticism, but their games are similar. I think DSJ will put up stats in the NBA, so I don't think he will be a bust, but I'm not sure he will ever be a player who's as valuable as his box score lines would suggest.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#1182 » by Xatticus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

Patrick1978 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:I really like dennis smith jr but his Injury with acl scares me.
I began to Switch to fox.
I know people here scream now about his shooting.
But his Form is not broken.
Scores from multiple spots on the floor.
Very good midrange scorer where he can get to at will,good pull up jumper,has range out to the Three.
Elite quickness and dribbling skills,gets where he wants of the dribble and breaks down the Defence,gets to the free throw line
I really like to watch hin play

Its not broken but I see Elfird Payton all over again. We need a PG that has shown and has a history of knocking down 3s.

I knew you would answer this.......
So which pg do you suggest?

I like Fox, but that shot is scary. It doesn't look broken, but he misses shots wildly and you can tell that the confidence isn't there. He might be alright, but it is always a concern when a player struggles to shoot in college. Defenders get quicker and longer in the NBA. He really uses his quickness to push the ball up court. He is just so quick and has the length to be a pretty good defender, but he is really thin right now. He plays smaller than he is, which isn't really a problem for the position. His steal percentage is good, but it really should be better with the tools he has.

I don't really see him as comparable to Payton though. Payton doesn't have the same breakneck quickness, but Elfrid has much better spatial understanding. Fox looks good enough as a point guard because that Kentucky offense has so many weapons, but he needs to develop his ability to unlock the defense in the halfcourt. He looks so much better in transition.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#1183 » by Xatticus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:51 am

Patrick1978 wrote:Jackson,isaac,tatum are the top favorites on the board here for the sf spot

I think miles bridges deserves some attention.
He has a nice skillset and i think he will be a Top 10 Pick

Nebraska only has one guy capable of defending him (Roby), and I didn't see him on Bridges in those highlights at all. I personally find Bridges underwhelming. I like Tatum a lot more. It will take time to work on Tatum's defense, but his offensive game is really impressive.
-pepe1991
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#1184 » by Bensational » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 am

DSJ is the kind of guy who screams bust to me, but who will probably have a killer career and prove me wrong. I just don't see anything elite about him that will give him an advantage at the next level. But then, maybe he's got elite BBIQ and can still find a way to succeed like Lillard and McCollum have?
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,373

nba draft 2017 

Post#1185 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 am

I just don't understand all the DSJ doubters as of late in this thread. The kid has superstar potential in my opinion. Has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. I think his floor is high as well. It's not like he's a project or his skills aren't developed yet, I don't see the bust potential with him. I would have no issues taking him in the top five.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#1186 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 am

Bensational wrote:DSJ is the kind of guy who screams bust to me, but who will probably have a killer career and prove me wrong. I just don't see anything elite about him that will give him an advantage at the next level. But then, maybe he's got elite BBIQ and can still find a way to succeed like Lillard and McCollum have?

I feel the same way. At times he reminds me of Steve Francis with a little more control and at other times I think he's the next Randy Foye. Tough to gauge.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1187 » by nymets1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 am

Josh Jackson got charged recently for a misdemandor property damage, He can say he can pay for any damage he cost but what are you thinking in the 1st place damaging a property? Got to use your head

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article134735694.html

I would say don't draft him if he's available at our pick.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,701

nba draft 2017 

Post#1188 » by Viper1500 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:09 am

I'm happy with any of Issac, Jackson or Smith. The Smith doubters will be proven wrong, the guy reminds me of a better distributing version of lillard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,701

nba draft 2017 

Post#1189 » by Viper1500 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 am

Double post

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1190 » by Skin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 am

Viper1500 wrote:I'm happy with any of Issac, Jackson or Smith. The Smith doubters will be proven wrong, the guy reminds me of a better distributing version of lillard.

No doubt. DSJ is gonna be a STAR. Don't be doubting that guy.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1191 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Skin wrote:

Right now Isaac is a tweener. I don't think he's a full time SF in the NBA. He's just not fluid enough. If he's a 3-D SF, then fine... but 3-D SFs are not superstars. They are guys like Tayshaun Prince, Trevor Ariza, DeMarr Carroll, Andre Iguodala, Robert Covington... Bruce Bowen, Mikael Pietrus...

I project his best position as a PF, but since he's so rail thin, I think it will take many years for him to reach his peak. It will also take him time to develop his post game because right now he has none. I like the "more defensive" Rashard Lewis comparison. That's enough for me to like him if we're picking at 5 or 6. But he's not a Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis type of PF prospect.

I LOVE DJS and Jackson though. No questions about what they are and how they fit. I also see them as Superstars.
Sorry but how can you say that DSJ is a potential superstar but not Isaac? DSJ has been dropping in the mocks lately after he failed to beat some of the top teams. It shows that he is a good PG vs mediocre talent but when faced vs Jackson, ball, or Fultz, NC State came short and he shot poorly. I was high on him in the beginning but has fallen off. He is also small PG that does not project to be a good defender in that NBA. He reminds me of Lowry at this point. Another thing that concerns me about him is he has s history of a torn ACL. That makes him more susceptible to tear it again in the NBA with the increased speed and intensity of the game. Its a big risk to pick him ahead of Isaac or the rest.

Also, sorry but your Isaac comparison is pretty bad. He is a PF in college but will be an SF in the NBA. Not fluid enough? The guy is like 6'10 and has the handles of a guard and the speed to complement it. He used to be an SG and when that 5'6inch growth spurt hit, he grew to 6'9-6'10 and kept his handles and speed. I agree that it will take a couple of seasons for him to be a dominant SF but he will get there. Rashard was the same way in the beginning. It took him 3-4 seasons to really establish himself as a starting SF. Isaac will need to bulk up and learn to guard other SF but he has the skills and tools to get there. If there is one thing we have as Magic fans is time. One thing he already has is that shooting stroke. His rookie year he will be a spot up guy, maybe a drive here and there , and move the ball around. Pretty much what we need in a SF right now. Its a match made in heaven.

I agree on Jackson too. He is more advanced then Isaac as far as a playmaker and has a higher ceiling especially on the defensive end. He is like a Jimmy butler/Wiggins mix.

I respect your views for sure. I'm happy coming away with fult, ball, smith, jackson, isaac and tatum. Isaac is probably the one that intrigues me the most. Size, speed, shooting..... all of it just makes me go :o

butttttt..... since when does 6'3" 195lb count as small at the point guard position? lol He's got a great combination of size and athleticism for the position. Definitely not the greatest of wingspan.... but he's kinda got a nice package put together.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#1192 » by cedric76 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 am

We need an elite PG that can shot the 3
What s your top 3 PG that fit that criteria?

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#1193 » by PennytoShaq » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:58 am

PrimeShaq wrote:I just don't understand all the DSJ doubters as of late in this thread. The kid has superstar potential in my opinion. Has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. I think his floor is high as well. It's not like he's a project or his skills aren't developed yet, I don't see the bust potential with him. I would have no issues taking him in the top five.

Top 5? I agree there.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#1194 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:40 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Skin wrote:Right now Isaac is a tweener. I don't think he's a full time SF in the NBA. He's just not fluid enough. If he's a 3-D SF, then fine... but 3-D SFs are not superstars. They are guys like Tayshaun Prince, Trevor Ariza, DeMarr Carroll, Andre Iguodala, Robert Covington... Bruce Bowen, Mikael Pietrus...

I respect your views for sure. I'm happy coming away with fult, ball, smith, jackson, isaac and tatum. Isaac is probably the one that intrigues me the most. Size, speed, shooting..... all of it just makes me go :o

butttttt..... since when does 6'3" 195lb count as small at the point guard position? lol He's got a great combination of size and athleticism for the position. Definitely not the greatest of wingspan.... but he's kinda got a nice package put together.

Sorry man but DSJR does not look 6'3. He is 6'1 on his good days. I have seen some games from him that give me a franchise PG and CP3 feels and others where he was shot down and looks average. Main reason I'm scared to pick DSJr early is because of the history of the torn ACL. A torn ACL is career changing and predisposes you to get it injured again even more.

But yeah Isaac just makes the most sense to us. I would call this season a success if we walk away with him on draft night.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#1195 » by JF5 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 am

cedric76 wrote:We need an elite PG that can shot the 3
What s your top 3 PG that fit that criteria?

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app

No PG outside of Fultz (Who I believe is more of a SG) can really shoot the 3 consistently.

The guys I like the most are Smith and Jackson... And a lesser degree Tatum and Ntilikina...

Smith has the highest ceiling (IMO). Very explosive, can score in traffic, gets to the rim at will, and has very good vision. He's improved as a jumpshooter and there have been various occasions in which he's taken over games. Two games that come to mind are the Duke and Virginia Tech where he burned both teams for with a monster games (Both Ranked). On top of that he has a very high IQ on both ends of the court. I think out of everybody he's the most NBA ready which is good for our squad now since this team is lacking excitement for the moment and needs to put asses in seats. He to me is the obvious guy to make that happen, but also long term he's the guy I feel will be a top 10 player in league in the future (barring injuries). He's at the top of the list for me. And if the Magic are out of range to draft them they should seriously consider trading down to get him.

Jackson has long term potential. He'll be decent role player at first, but I don't expect him to really break out until his 3rd season to be honest. Good feel for the game and obviously has the tools to be like Leonard/Wiggins. Has a pretty good post game and he's improved his jump shot and has VERY underrated handles and vision which I feel people have overlooked, unfortunately. He'll definitely be an all-star down the line. But for me he's a distant second.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1196 » by Skin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:09 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Skin wrote:

Isaac could be a superstar. I'm not denying that. That would be silly. I love his upside. I just said he's scary too.

I have no problems drafting him in the top 5.

My 5 (ignore the order):
DSJ
Jackson
Isaac
Fultz
Ball
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1197 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:37 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Sorry but how can you say that DSJ is a potential superstar but not Isaac? DSJ has been dropping in the mocks lately after he failed to beat some of the top teams. It shows that he is a good PG vs mediocre talent but when faced vs Jackson, ball, or Fultz, NC State came short and he shot poorly. I was high on him in the beginning but has fallen off. He is also small PG that does not project to be a good defender in that NBA. He reminds me of Lowry at this point. Another thing that concerns me about him is he has s history of a torn ACL. That makes him more susceptible to tear it again in the NBA with the increased speed and intensity of the game. Its a big risk to pick him ahead of Isaac or the rest.

Sorry man but DSJR does not look 6'3. He is 6'1 on his good days. I have seen some games from him that give me a franchise PG and CP3 feels and others where he was shot down and looks average. Main reason I'm scared to pick DSJr early is because of the history of the torn ACL. A torn ACL is career changing and predisposes you to get it injured again even more.

But yeah Isaac just makes the most sense to us. I would call this season a success if we walk away with him on draft night.

I wanna see a game where they depend on Isaacs and he needs to be a high volume player for a lil.

Actually.... i'll take that back as he might play himself out of our range. lol Ughhhh.... i can see that happening in tournament play. just had a flash. haha
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#1198 » by Patrick1978 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm

He has real Talent
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928