ImageImageImageImage

The defense is for real

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Re: The defense is for real 

Post#41 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Dec 1, 2016 7:22 pm

Shady Franchise wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:Oh, and Jeff Green has been a rather large disappointment on offense. I expected inconsistency, but he really hasn't even shown too many flashes. Definitely understand why he was signed to a one year deal.

If we can replace Green with a true scoring wing, we would be very good IMO. Trade for Gay, sign a FA scorer this offseason, or draft a lottery wing prospects should be the priority.

This sounds great, but what happens to Gordon's PT if we do trade for someone like Gay? Does he get most/all PT at backup SF and PF?

Yes, he'd basically be the backup SF and PF and get minutes in the low-mid 20s. When he proves he can shoot at a reasonable clip he can start. But this is year 3 for Aaron and it doesn't look like he's going to have much of an uptick (if any) in shooting, which is the main hindrance to his game.

I agree if you draft a player you should give them minutes to grow, but at some point you gotta start trying to win and put the onus on the player to make that jump to earn his minutes.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,350

Post#42 » by Knightro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 pm

This was a regrettable thread. #Ashamed
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#43 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 pm

I wish the defense was for real tonight against the Nuggets!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#44 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Lmao
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#45 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I wish the defense was for real tonight against the Nuggets!

Oh it's realllllllll bad lmao

We should know better. The team always packs their bags in January. I revised my win total In early November to 30, we may get that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#46 » by didak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 am

Just another Magic fan who got lost in the "potential" of this team.

All good mate we've all been there and done that. Unfortunately when you throw massive contracts to "role players" to lure them from successful teams it doesn't work. Been happening here for years. Same ****, different season.
R I P - Kobe Bryant
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,188

Post#47 » by cedric76 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 am

we have the personnel to be a top 10 defensive team, i just dont understand why we cant play D :banghead:

This puzzle me
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#48 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

cedric76 wrote:we have the personnel to be a top 10 defensive team, i just dont understand why we cant play D :banghead:

This puzzle me

Do we?
Payton struggles to stay in front of any starting level PG. ( most of PGs are medicore defenders at best, but most of PGs are better on offense than him )
DJ Augustin is just horrific defender. Too small.
Evan- below average defender for SG starter.
Meeks was good defender, once. Not any more. Same as Payton , can't fight through screens.
Mario - makes too much mistakes.
Gordon, teams best 1 on 1 defender, however he still makes a lot of mistakes when it comes to team defense.
Ibaka- blocks don't make you good defender. Ibaka proves that.
VUčević- too slow, not athletic enough to be better.
Biyombo- he is ok defender but it's hard to play him more when he can't catch a ball to save his life.

i'm looking at Vogel's Pacers:
George- elite defender. David West -good defender. Roy Hibbert at times top 5 candidate in DPOY, George Hill great defender, Lance was good defender as well.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#49 » by Last Guardian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 pm

The idea was that with Ibaka and Biyumbo protecting the rim, and Vogel coaching, we'd be elite defensively. Vucevic is better than both defensively lol. And we were better defensively with Skiles. All kinds of messed up this franchise is right now.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,551

Post#50 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Part of the problem is that it seems that the teams lacks a vocal leader on defence whose role is to coordinate the defense, call out switches, etc. Ibaka even in his defensive prime was not that kind of a defender, he relied on Perkins and then Adams for this. Vucevic is not that kind of player either even when he plays good individual D. Biz shows some signs, but it's not enough.

Also Ibaka and Biz are too similar in mentality defensively, both try to block every shot nearby which can be exploited by the offense by passing to the open teammate when they commit to try to block.
ButchMcRae
Junior
And1: 167

Post#51 » by ButchMcRae » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

This has to be by far one of the most frustrating times in Magic history. Post Shaq & Penny might be a close 2nd but even then although we never made it past the first round Heart & Hustle / T-Mac era was at least exciting. Post Dwight has been brutal.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#52 » by drsd » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Knightro wrote:This was a regrettable thread. #Ashamed

Are you really saying you did not expect 34 year old Jameer Nelson to shoot 70% and score 18 points in a +15 night ?????

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#53 » by OrlandO » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Part of the problem is that it seems that the teams lacks a vocal leader on defence whose role is to coordinate the defense, call out switches, etc. Ibaka even in his defensive prime was not that kind of a defender, he relied on Perkins and then Adams for this. Vucevic is not that kind of player either even when he plays good individual D. Biz shows some signs, but it's not enough.

Also Ibaka and Biz are too similar in mentality defensively, both try to block every shot nearby which can be exploited by the offense by passing to the open teammate when they commit to try to block.

Good points. I've also thought Ibaka and Biz are too similar and don't fit together defensively like we envisioned. But a big problem is also these guys who go after blocks aren't even blocking anymore. Ibaka is starting to look like he was earlier in the season when he wasn't defending with effort and Biz is just whiffing on all his blocks. Vuc should not be averaging more blocks than these guys over the last month of basketball. Very frustrating...

Return to Orlando Magic